Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Dagesh Lene

What are your thoughts on Super Mario 3D All-Stars?

Super Mario 3D All-Stars, the worst kept secret in all of gaming, has finally been announced.  With how much people have been hoping that this collection was real, you would think that everyone would be happy with this announcement.  However, some of the decisions that Nintendo made with this collection has left some people disappointed.

First of all, there are people that are disappointed that Super Mario 64 is not playable in widescreen, that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is not included in the collection, and that it is being sold for the price that it is since the games are just ports.  I can certainly understand why people are disappointed over these things.  However, I personally am not, and I don't have much to say about it.

There are also people who are disappointed that Super Mario 64 is not an HD remake.  While I do understand people's disappointment, I think that they were getting their hopes too high.  Yes, current game collections have been HD remakes and have been sold for less.  Yes, when Nintendo first made Super Mario All-Stars, the graphics were updated.  However, when you look at Nintendo's current trend of remaking just one game and selling it for full price, it wouldn't make any sense for them to remake a game and include two other games with it without it being super expensive.  Because of this, I remember when the rumors first started floating around and I heard people saying that one or more of the games could be HD remakes, I thought it sounded too good to be true and began to doubt that the rumors were true.  However, as soon as someone said that the games would be just ports, I thought that this made the rumors suddenly seem plausible.  Now, I'm not saying that because this lines up with how they currently handle the rerelease of old games that this justifies their decision, I'm just saying that expecting them to do otherwise was setting yourself up for disappointment.

Finally, there are people who are disappointed that the collection is a limited release.  This one I do agree is a bit odd.  I could understand if just the physical version was a limited release, but the digital version too?  That just doesn't seem to make much sense to me unless Nintendo is planning on something else after they stop selling the collection, such as releasing each of the games individually on the Nintendo eShop like some people are guessing.  However, until Nintendo announces something, we just don't know if they plan to do anything else with the games.  I'm not disappointed by their decision to make the collection a limited release though, since I was planning on buying it as soon as possible anyway.  I just don't think that making the digital version a limited release is a good decision.

Overall, while I do understand why people are disappointed by these decisions, they didn't really bother me, and I am still personally looking forward to the release of this collection.  I also think that people have every right to voice their disappointments with this collection, I just hope that they do so respectfully.  But these are just my thoughts.  What are yours?