Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Ajexmi

I kinda wrote a book about FFIX...and it's now out in the world!

Hey people,

I hope this isn't against the rules, but I just wanted to drop a vanity post to say that my book, Melodies of Life: A Final Fantasy IX Retrospect and Analysis, is out now in paperback. The kindle edition is open to pre-orders, and will be released 31/01/2020. (links at the bottom of post)

I thought I'd drop the contents breakdown here, so if you're interested in checking it out - you have an idea of what you might be in for:

Contents:

A Voice From the Past, Joining Yours and Mine...

Foreword

Introduction

The Party

Plot Summary

What it Means to be Alive

Authenticity & The Artificial

Either You Do, Or You Don't

The Iifa Tree & The Angels of Death

Identity & Autonomy

Raison D'être

Vivi: Golem Among Golems

The Genomes With Soul: Zidane, Kuja and Mikoto

Garnet x2 (or x3 or x4!)

A Knight's Duty

Lost & Forgotten

Music & Narrative

Echoes, Reflections and Foreshadowing

Not Alone

Melodies of Life

Something to Protect

The Storybook Motif & Nostalgia

Legend, Lore and Callbacks

Life's a Play, The World a Stage

Who's the Bad Guy?

Hierarchy & Rebellion

Decadent Jesters

The Will to Live vs. The Will to Power

Et Tu, Kuja?

Life Cycles & Internal and External Conflict

Gaia & Terra

Eternal Life/Strife

Existentialism: The Reality of Mortality

Love, Fealty & Self-Determination

Relationships

Why These Characters Work (And Work Together)

Romance

Personal Influence

Respect

Camaraderie

And So it Goes, On and On...

Afterword

A Few Things You May Know...

Acknowledgments

Thanks for indulging me, and I hope this of some interest! A lot of work went into it, and any feedback/criticism is welcome. I am going to take a nap now....

US link: https://www.amazon.com/Melodies-Lif...keywords=jamie+L+cruise&qid=1611656028&sr=8-2
UK link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08TS5DY7B/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1611577360&sr=8-2
DE link: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08TW5GTM2/ref=sr_1_2?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=jamie+L.+Cruise&qid=1611656250&sr=8-2

Final Cover Proof 1.png

MoL Ad 1.png

Edited by Ajexmi

Thank you both! I feel... whelmed - simultaneously over and under - and it feels weird to not be working on it for the first time in months ? hopefully it is well received!

I’ve never played a game this profound and meaningful. I was 3 years old when it came out and I remember watching my big brother play. This game stuck with and forged who I am today. I am very excited to see what this book has to say about this masterpiece of a video game. 

On 1/26/2021 at 11:07 AM, Ajexmi said:

I hope this isn't against the rules,

You're good! :) 

On 1/26/2021 at 11:07 AM, Ajexmi said:

I am going to take a nap now....

Yep. Definitely the words of a published author who just finished up their first book. :D Well, first of all congratulations. Even just completing NaNoWriMo is an accomplishment but to come out of it with your a published book is great. Kind of makes me want to take on more non fiction. What I read so far from the preview was easy to follow along with despite that I haven't actually played FFIX yet (the shame!) I played VII-XV but IX just released at such an inopportune time for me :D . I find a lot of books like this tend to assume the reader knows the story and characters already so good job making it accessible. When I do get around to playing it, I think this would be interesting to read alongside it. I liked that its written as essays and a deep dive into the characters as opposed to the typical "This is why I love this game". Congrats again and I look forward to reading the rest when I grab the paperback, just got to find the time to commit to the game fully. 

2 hours ago, Alkovan said:

I’ve never played a game this profound and meaningful. I was 3 years old when it came out and I remember watching my big brother play. This game stuck with and forged who I am today. I am very excited to see what this book has to say about this masterpiece of a video game. 

Ah, a kindred spirit. I really do hope you enjoy it - let me know what you think of it or leave a review too! ?

30 minutes ago, FlipMode said:

Yep. Definitely the words of a published author who just finished up their first book. :D Well, first of all congratulations. Even just completing NaNoWriMo is an accomplishment but to come out of it with your a published book is great. Kind of makes me want to take on more non fiction. What I read so far from the preview was easy to follow along with despite that I haven't actually played FFIX yet (the shame!) I played VII-XV but IX just released at such an inopportune time for me :D . I find a lot of books like this tend to assume the reader knows the story and characters already so good job making it accessible. When I do get around to playing it, I think this would be interesting to read alongside it. I liked that its written as essays and a deep dive into the characters as opposed to the typical "This is why I love this game". Congrats again and I look forward to reading the rest when I grab the paperback, just got to find the time to commit to the game fully. 

The tiredness was not something I expected. I have written two full length novel manuscripts that were less demanding! Then again, I took on this project 100% due to two different artists dropping out and not having much money to invest; so perhaps it's really not all that surprising!

Thank you for this! While the ideal situation (as advised within) is that the reader has played the game, there is a breakdown of the whole story in the introduction that also serve as a refresher - so from what you say this should be fine with people less familiar/intimate as well! Please do let me know how you find it when you do get around to it. I am very much open to feedback and criticism, as they will only help produce better future works.

Ajexmi sec mod buddy! xD That's so rad, I've not played this game myself but kudos to you for publishing a book about it! I'm sure there will be many people who enjoy it, and wish you the best of luck with it! :D 

1 minute ago, WakelessDream said:

Ajexmi sec mod buddy! xD That's so rad, I've not played this game myself but kudos to you for publishing a book about it! I'm sure there will be many people who enjoy it, and wish you the best of luck with it! :D 

How the time flies, huh? It's crazy how long it's been since we both were starting out as mods together.

Thanks so much for the support. Please share it with any friends who also love Final Fantasy IX and help me get the word out ?

43 minutes ago, Ajexmi said:

How the time flies, huh? It's crazy how long it's been since we both were starting out as mods together.

Thanks so much for the support. Please share it with any friends who also love Final Fantasy IX and help me get the word out ?

Yeah! There aren't many of us around from those days anymore but I'm glad to see a familiar face, and know you're doing well! :)

And will get the word out to anyone I know who might be interested! I can tell you put in a great amount of thought and time into it just by the outline you provided us! 

Update: the Kindle edition is out now! Available through Amazon along side the paperback. Thank you for your support, and if you do order a copy please remember to leave a review! <3

Update: Melodies of Life is now available in hardcover, and the prices have just dropped to a new fixed rate. Also, if you are signed up to Kindle Unlimited you can read it for free!

Please do remember to leave a review if you like the book, as it will help get the book to appear in more recommendation lists and help others find it. 

Available worldwide via Amazon.

(I don't have too many tabs... Maybe you have too many tabs!)

image.thumb.png.29211cdf147c5bf60571b3810ae57114.png

On 12/29/2021 at 4:17 PM, ayhcyz said:

Looking at the content that you wrote in the post, you can see that the work is very good and capacious. Cool! Once upon a time I had a dream of writing a book, but I couldn't. Perhaps I lacked inspiration, patience or desire... I prefer reading and thinking more. I often read the summaries on books and thus I always have a list of books that I want to read. For example, yesterday I read adam bede summary and today I read your post. So, I already have Adam Bede and your book in mind. I hope I can master these two works in a short time.

Thank you for this - I hope you enjoy it if and when you get around to getting a copy :) So far people have only had kind things to say about it!