Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
yamibakura

Am i the only one who liked ReCom more than BBS?

ReCom was pretty fun tbh ngl. Deck building, grinding cards and exp, cool story, strategic gameplay. I really like how they went with a traditional FF encounter formula where engaging in a battle transports Sora to a different room. Also, the worlds, although not as good as KH1, still were more interesting than BBS ones. The card system was fascinating.

Now, BBS, its pretyc clear that this game was made to be handheld. The simplicity of the worlds, the slow animations,  the really basic facial expressions, it was intented for the PSP and the hd remake is just a port. Recom, is a full fledged ps2 game, more detail in the worlds, better movements, polished character designs.

But what i dont  ike about BBS is the gameplay. You have all these abilities but when doing boss fights using most of them is suicide lmao. Also, leveling up is kinda weird because even with lots of grinding you are stil not gonna be more than 40 by the end game. Makes me wonder why the max lvl is 99 tbh ngl.

Is there really more detail to the worlds in Re:COM? Also to be honest BBS's gameplay is something you need to learn to understand. Yes you level up your abilities, but maxing them out is not enough. You also need to learn the attack patterns of the bosses you encounter and take advantage of their openings to fell them. BBS is one of the few games in the series where mash x to win just doesn't work out. Especially so if you don't just pick a lower difficulty.  Beyond that the capabilities of the PSP were not exactly any lesser than the PS2's, in fact being somewhere above that of the PS2 and bellow that of the PS3. And lastly 99 is the max level in almost every RPG, but the maximum level you should need to be for most RPGs regardless in order to 100% them is Level 50. BBS falls well into that range.

14 hours ago, yamibakura said:

Now, BBS, its pretyc clear that this game was made to be handheld. The simplicity of the worlds, the slow animations,  the really basic facial expressions, it was intented for the PSP and the hd remake is just a port. Recom, is a full fledged ps2 game, more detail in the worlds, better movements, polished character designs.

That makes it sound as though the whole game uses low poly face models. BbS uses a lot of high poly models with detailed and realistic expressions and accurate lip sync (for English and Japanese audio) in the majority of its cutscenes. A lot of the major cutscenes are even very animated, in both big and small ways. Of course, characters in the background and Disney characters are usually low poly, but its cutscenes are not any less impressive than ReCOM's cutscenes.

ReCOM uses less low poly models in their main story cutscenes than BbS does, but the entirety of ReCOM's Disney worlds are exclusively low poly with text box exchanges and limited animation, whereas BbS uses a lot of animation and almost always uses at least one (or a few) high poly models per cutscene inside and outside of Disney worlds (I can think of a few exemptions, but those are either brief cutscenes or only include low poly Disney characters).

Long story short, I don't think saying Birth by Sleep has "really basic facial expressions" is doing the cutscenes any justice, even though I get what you're referring to. And personally, I find its cutscenes more impressive than ReCOM's, but that could just be me.

I like BbS more than ReCOM (and... every other game in the series, actually XD), and I don't personally agree with the things you dislike about BbS, but I'm sure you're not alone in liking ReCOM better. It is a good game, after all. lol

How one takes to Chain of Memories as a whole depends entirely on their view of the card system, a holdover from the initial GBA version. You clearly enjoy that aspect, but for many it's alienating. The story for Chain of Memories is fantastic, and easily one of the top five narratives in the series.

Birth by Sleep does make you work for victories against bosses, especially on Critical Mode. The various Iron Prisoner forms do not go down to mashing the attack button, and even when you have a honed deck set up you still need to pay attention if you don't want to die. There is a good degree of intricacy with the game mechanics, even if the command melding is completely broken.

On 8/16/2021 at 12:43 AM, jbmasta said:

How one takes to Chain of Memories as a whole depends entirely on their view of the card system, a holdover from the initial GBA version. You clearly enjoy that aspect, but for many it's alienating. The story for Chain of Memories is fantastic, and easily one of the top five narratives in the series.

Birth by Sleep does make you work for victories against bosses, especially on Critical Mode. The various Iron Prisoner forms do not go down to mashing the attack button, and even when you have a honed deck set up you still need to pay attention if you don't want to die. There is a good degree of intricacy with the game mechanics, even if the command melding is completely broken.

BBS is bad, even top players like bloodybizkitz hav admitted this

5 hours ago, yamibakura said:

BBS is bad, even top players like bloodybizkitz hav admitted this

That's your opinion and I'm not forcing you to play it. However there are people who enjoy playing it, me included. Terra is a character who has more depth than people tend to credit him with and the contrast between the Wayfinder and Destiny trios, in terms of dynamic and background, is interesting as well.

In the case of bloodybizkitz isn't their main criticism towards Birth By Sleep that it's super easy to cheese it even on critical mode due to just being able to put multiple of the same over powered ability into the command deck and spamming it? If that's solid evidence for BBS being bad I hate to be the one to break it to you @yamibakura but Chain of Memories can be cheesed just as easily. Easier even since you don't have to grind as much for the over powered commands. In Sora's case the moment you have the Sonic Blade sleight everything can be defeated easily by spamming it even if you're not playing on Beginner or Standard.

In Riku's case just spam the sleights with Mickey where he and Riku dance around the battle field shooting balls of light and darkness at enemies against the mobs when you're grinding levels out in the worlds and switch over to not even bothering to think about what cards you'll use when you duel once you've managed to start one just spam cards till you've won the duel because the timer runs out way too quick if you take the time to think. If you think the dueling system is broken then fine ignore that, but there is no way around getting put into dark mode; even if you're not trying you'll take enough damage to end up that way at least once in every boss battle before you get killed, and then all you have to do is spam Dark Firaga, or use the bosses like they're the foundation for your keyblade that is suddenly a pogo stick (Dark Break). Boing Boing Boing Boing Boing. Pressing triangle sure is fun...and hard, yes; definitely hard.

Edited by FadedSparkle