Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
OrpheusJoshua

[UPDATE] Sony Japan announces Kingdom Hearts 20th Anniversary walkman

Sony Japan has announced that to celebrate the Kingdom Hearts 20th anniversary, they will be selling commemorative Walkmen. Unfortunately, even when viewing the announcement page, no images of this item have been revealed. However, those who sign up with their Sony ID will receive a 10% coupon.

We'll be share to share further news on this unique and unexpected product when it is discussed in a greater capacity.

UPDATE (4/15/2022) The announcement page has been updated to state that the walkman will come with a pair of wireless headphones and "etc," whatever the latter means. There are still no images for this upcoming product. 

View full article

7 minutes ago, ocean's rage said:

as in a caseate player?

Most likely a portable digital music player, like the one they released to commemorate KH3 in 2019:

image.thumb.png.d9ce1083b009804ff8212a0d6ae62ae8.png

I bought this but never use it. The Japanese Walkman OS doesn't have any language options (which is strange since this same model in other regions do).

2 hours ago, meatbun said:

Most likely a portable digital music player, like the one they released to commemorate KH3 in 2019:

image.thumb.png.d9ce1083b009804ff8212a0d6ae62ae8.png

I bought this but never use it. The Japanese Walkman OS doesn't have any language options (which is strange since this same model in other regions do).

ok that makes more sense 

43 minutes ago, Daz_4th said:

is spotify even worth anything then

The original KH Walkman came pre-installed with Face My Fears and Don't Think Twice in Hi-Res audio formats (higher sampling rates resulting in better sound - "hear as the artist intended", as Sony markets it). Not even a modern iPhone can produce the same sound as a dedicated device can, even using the same file. Though it comes as no surprise that people from all ages in the States have either forgotten about the Walkman brand or have never heard of it at all, it still remains a linchpin among audiophiles stateside and people abroad - it's still very popular in its home country along with many European countries. I'll wager you're already aware of most of this.

Spotify, while super convenient, streams compressed versions of music so it'll never hit the fidelity of typical tried-and-true Hi-Res formats. Most people have dull ears and value the ease of use, accessibility, and access to a huge music catalog over audio quality. I guarantee this isn't making it stateside, just like the KH3 one didn't.

Edited by meatbun
removed image upload

I'll shed some light on this for the underinformed. Digital Audio Players (DAP's) have been continually developed even though the old Walkman's are never heard about anymore.

This does not play Cassettes. It's meant to play digital formats, including but not limited to the MP3 format. There are much nicer quality digital formats like FLAC.

DAP's usually range from $250 to far above $1000, because they have hardware that far surpasses the audio quality of mobile phones, yes even LG's Quad DAC junk (which was actually 99% software).

Most people will not be able to tell the difference. It depends how good your ears are, which are different for everyone. Even with an MP3, you can hear a large difference with good hardware and decent entry-level headphones.

But be forwarned, most of Sony's DAP's are pricey, and they are generally geared towards consumers that have $500+ high end headphones or IEM's. They aren't intended for people to use with $20 Skullkids earbuds.

I have a feeling people will buy these just to sit on a shelf in their collection, which I won't shame, but I wanted to at least clarify since a lot of people don't know the developments in the audio hardware industry amidst this digital age we live in.