Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Koko

The Unpopular Opinions Thread

*casts unrelated-to-the-current-discussionGA*

I think complete differences in lifestyles and/or beliefs shouldn't stop people from being friends. I have friends who are complete opposites from me, and we get along. Like, one of them from my college is a satanist, and we have great conversations and get along quite well. We don't agree on certain topics, but totally respect respect each other and can even discuss these topics without butting heads in the slightest. And both of us walk away with a better understanding of the opposite viewpoint. 

But at the basics, I'm just trying to say: Even if someone seems like a physical manifestation of everything you think is wrong with the world, why bother hating them when you can just be friendly instead? If you don't agree on one topic, but enjoy spending time with each other otherwise, then just don't talk about that topic. I don't know, maybe this isn't that unpopular. But hey, it's my opinion.

Some people don't do it as deliberate insults. Some people think that they're "funny" or "cool" for saying things like that and think it's actually a joke.

Well then a simple, "Hey, could you not do/say that, it offends -insert justifiable reason here-" is a justifiable response.

If they don't, report it to the mods. It helps knowing when to be the adult in a situation. Most of this site's community are younger people transitioning into adulthood, so the older or more mature ones have to lead by example.

Edited by Paranoia

Well then a simple, "Hey, could you not do/say that, it offends -insert justifiable reason here-" is a justifiable response.

If they don't, report it to the mods. It helps knowing when to be the adult in a situation. Most of this site's community are younger people transitioning into adulthood, so the older or more mature ones have to lead by example.

The people I'm talking about in particular are just like that and I've learned to live with it. It's not okay what they do though. Talking to them never worked so I just report and wait for mods to get online.

The people I'm talking about in particular are just like that and I've learned to live with it. It's not okay what they do though. Talking to them never worked so I just report and wait for mods to get online.

Well I suppose that is another suitable action to take.

What I'm talking about are the people who blow up at the sight of anything remotely offensive. it does nothing to start a huge fight over the internet over personal beliefs.

Edited by Paranoia

I'm kind of in the middle on this issue. I definitely think there are things that just shouldn't be joked about. Yeah you can say things are funny to some people and not to others, but then why not respect that there are people that take offense to those kinds of things and just keep it to yourself or joke about it with your friends in private who you know aren't going to be offended by that? I think if someone offends you though you should handle it in a calm and understanding manner, if possible. They may not deserve it but you may find you'll get better results in them returning that understanding and calm attitude back to you. 

I'm on the fence about the issue as well.  I also think certain things shouldn't be joked about because they always lead to fights, but I also see how a lot of people on this site (especially in Random) can't seem to process the slightest bit of irony and sarcasm.  On the other hand, sarcasm and irony can be difficult to convey over the internet even if it's crystal clear to you and a few others.  People here do seem to take things too literally and can't roll with the joke, but there's also something of a callousness involved with how other people would react to things.  Like that Women's Rights thread... seriously, when I saw that, I knew there was no way it could end well.  I understood the irony but I just reported the damn thing and let things handle themselves.  When people rightfully got indignant over it, instead of taking anyone's feelings into consideration, they continued with the jokes and the irony like it was nothing, solely for the fact it was in Random.

These days it's like "butthurt" is less considered an overreaction and more a way to alleviate any kind of responsibility for one's words.  I don't think a lot of people here know the difference.

MAYBE GIRLS WOULD BE MORE HAPPY IF EVERYBODY WOULD STOP MAKING THEM LOOK LIKE THEIR OBJECTS AND STOP MAKING EVERY MODEL A SIZE 0 AND STOP MAKING EVERY MOVIE HAVE A HOT CHICK WHO SHAKES HER ASS!

That is all.

It seriously bothers me how women are treated in media

they seem to kind of not take pride in themselves and no one takes pride in them

I feel like it's pretty bad IRL too..... 

I was in PE and we were just having a free day and I was standing around with a group of friends and their friends ( 'the guys' I will refer to as later) sat there as well

anyway over on the other side of the gym were this group of girls in our class I sorta knew

the guys were talking about them and teasing one for admitting some kind of like attraction for one of the girls and he clarifies by saying

"no they're all ugly, but I'm just saying the least ugly is the one in a gray shirt"

Even just as a person I found that wrong and offensive

and that treatment is sickening to me

I hate how this thread gets active like, 5 days, no one posts, suddenly a person posts then a chain of people posts and then the thread dies again.

Probably just depends on what people have on their mind. It's varied in the past but just started being less active for a couple of days lately. It is a vent thread mainly so if no one has anything to vent about/vent somewhere else it's understandable to be less active.

These days, half the time the Random forum is funny, and half the time it's just annoying.

Imo it's more like a fourth that's funny. 

I find it firetrucking stupid how everything on Tumblr is. "White girls do that, white girls do this, white girls are that, white girls are this.'' STFU.

Stop being a asshole, half of the time you just throw white girls in there for no reason.

If two friends are fighting, I don't think that you should have to pick a side between them.

I don't like most pop music because some of it sounds the same.

I like nickel back.

I reaaly reaaally REALLY don't like when somebody says: Your beloved, listened music is a sh*t!

A example for the life: On school.The classmates plays their loved disco music. This reeeally annoying. My head want kill my mind. But I just shut up,

I don't want hurt they.

Later, my phone is ring. (Callling-The World Ends With You ;) ) I hear from my classmates: What is this sh*t? wroooah. stooop it.

I thinking: SHUT UP. I DISLIKE YOUR MUSIC, BUT I WAS TOO KIND TOO SAYS IT LOUDER. (sadly, i don't say loud)

Later: I listening in the bus Birth By Sleep soundtrack, with headphones. I saw some people is see me, and laughing. I stop the music, and I hear: Oh, that loser listen classic music. :angry: :angry: :angry: I don't want explain to not game-smart peoples, to this is not"classic" .....

TROLLS.

Please, when somebody says your music suck, answer,or just try ignorant. To me that's help.

I totally agree with this, my class mates are the same. Teasing me just because I don't listen to their kind of music.

Edited by Think Pink

And finally, (if you get upset with me here, just tell me and I'll edit it out.) I find it sexist how there can only be female mods.

I mean no disrespect to anybody, just wanted to give my 2 cents. If anybody is upset over this feel free to del it.

But there aren't only female mods.  Most of them are female, but it's only a coincidence since I think there are more girls on this site than guys.  DC is a guy and he runs the site (and I assume Aaron does stuff, too).  Lu Xun is a male mod, as is Amon, who's a sectional mod.  The notion that only girls can be mods so DC can have a harem is just a joke.  I think.

But there aren't only female mods.  Most of them are female, but it's only a coincidence since I think there are more girls on this site than guys.  DC is a guy and he runs the site (and I assume Aaron does stuff, too).  Lu Xun is a male mod, as is Amon, who's a sectional mod.  The notion that only girls can be mods so DC can have a harem is just a joke.  I think.

The only male mods that are here are the sectional mods. I don't see any male mods anywhere another then them. :/

The only male mods that are here are the sectional mods. I don't see any male mods anywhere another then them. :/

Again, probably just a coincidence.  I think you're reading too deep into this, and there do seem to be more girls than guys around here.  I don't think the mods here are mostly women because they're excluding guys, just that the ones who've proven themselves mod material just so happened to be mainly girls.

Since talking about the site is trending on the site, might as well give my 2 cents.

There is a god damn reason why making threads about another members is a rule. If you make a thread saying a member is a 'jerk, ass, whore, etc' it might/will hurt their feels, and making a list of people you don't find annoying, is just stupid and rude.

People need to stop their shit on radnom. "LOL IT'S RANDOM CALM DOWN!" No if it's something that isn't funny but hurtful, people have the right to get pissed off.

And the people who keep making threads in it is . GAH . Now I see why everybody disliked me when I did it. 

And finally, (if you get upset with me here, just tell me and I'll edit it out.) I find it sexist how there can only be female mods.

I mean no disrespect to anybody, just wanted to give my 2 cents. If anybody is upset over this feel free to del it.

I got to stop posting here, sorry.

I agree with everything else you said but just a note on the last point: 

It's not done that way on purpose at all. (I'm assuming you mean the global mods because the sec mods are coed) Mods are chosen because they're active, well behaved members who appear competent. I have a math class of 18 people and 15 of them are boys. There's nothing sexist going on, that's just the way the chips fall. The mods we have are all good at their job and were chosen specifically because they are good at it--not because they're female. There aren't actually that many mods anyway in consideration to the number of members on the site, plus I've noticed and huge majority of the site is female, so the fact that they all are isn't really surprising.

On to my opinion~ 

I don't really like cupcakes xD They fall apart and you have to try to catch all of the crumbs, plus I don't like icing. 

I agree with everything else you said but just a note on the last point: 

It's not done that way on purpose at all. (I'm assuming you mean the global mods because the sec mods are coed) Mods are chosen because they're active, well behaved members who appear competent. I have a math class of 18 people and 15 of them are boys. There's nothing sexist going on, that's just the way the chips fall. The mods we have are all good at their job and were chosen specifically because they are good at it--not because they're female. There aren't actually that many mods anyway in consideration to the number of members on the site, plus I've noticed and huge majority of the site is female, so the fact that they all are isn't really surprising.

I guess so. Lol.