Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Kirux

Boy Scout denied Eagle Award due to Sexual Orientation

To directly quote the website;

Ryan joined the Boy Scouts when he was just six years old, and since then, he's dreamed of earning his Eagle award -- the highest rank in the Boy Scouts.

Ryan is now a senior in high school, and just completed the final requirements to earn his Eagle Award. He's an honor student with great SAT scores, who's hoping to attend the University of San Francisco. But because he recently came out to his friends and family as gay, leaders from our local Boy Scout troop say they won't approve his Eagle award.

A Boy Scout gets his Eagle by earning many badges, completing all lower Scout rank requirements, and carrying out an approved final project. So Ryan decided to build a "Tolerance Wall" for his school, to show bully victims -- like Ryan -- that they are not alone. Ryan worked countless hours with elementary students to amass a wall of 288 unique tiles, all illustrating acts of kindness.

But when leadership in Troop 212 (San Francisco Bay Area) found out that Ryan was gay, the Scoutmaster said he refused to sign the official paperwork designating Ryan as an Eagle Scout, despite the fact that Ryan completed all of the requirements.

I find the policies of the BSA to be horrible, especially when things like this happen. There is no reason this young man should be denied the title of Eagle Scout. It is incredibly biased and discriminatory and frankly makes me sick. I understand that the BSA is a 'private organisation' and 'reserves the right to make their own policies' but that doesn't mean we should accept it.

If you would like to help this young man achieve his life long goal of becoming an Eagle Scout, please visit the following link and sign the petition. There's no definite that he will receive it, but at least you will have helped try.

<3 Kirux

http://www.change.org/petitions/boy-scouts-don-t-let-your-anti-gay-policy-deny-my-son-his-eagle-award?utm_campaign=friend_inviter_modal&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=31630787

They're a private organization with their own set of values. It's unfortunate that this happened to this kid but they do not have to conform or modify their values to accommodate someone who is in direct opposition with their values. If homosexuals want to become eagle scouts they might as well start their own private organization and look after one another. This is a free country‚ they can achieve this.

They're a private organization with their own set of values. It's unfortunate that this happened to this kid but they do not have to conform or modify their values to accommodate someone who is in direct opposition with their values. If homosexuals want to become eagle scouts they might as well start their own private organization and look after one another. This is a free country‚ they can achieve this.

I made mention that they are a private organisation.

It doesn't make what they are doing right. If that child had not 'come out' he would have received that award without hesitation. Not giving it to him because he is open about himself does not in anyway change those things he did or the work he put into doing them.

Also, they could not achieve their own organisation similar to the Boy Scouts due to copy right laws and other legal issues.

I made mention that they are a private organisation.

It doesn't make what they are doing right. If that child had not 'come out' he would have received that award without hesitation. Not giving it to him because he is open about himself does not in anyway change those things he did or the work he put into doing them.

That is sad that all his work was in vain‚ I'd be pissed too‚ but they don't stand for homosexuality. However‚they shouldn't be forced to change anything. In doing so‚ society would be forcing a belief on another group. That doesn't fly. As things stand‚ society is is stuck in the middle on this issue.

As for the copy right laws... I'm pretty sure there is some crafty lawyer out there that can find a loop whole or too. As a college student taking a law class‚ I learned that there is a loophole for almost everything

Also, they could not achieve their own organisation similar to the Boy Scouts due to copy right laws and other legal issues.

Quote fail....... Edited by SHADOWPAIN

That is sad that all his work was in vain‚ I'd be pissed too‚ but they don't stand for homosexuality. However‚they shouldn't be forced to change anything. In doing so‚ society would be forcing a belief on another group. That doesn't fly. As things stand‚ society is is stuck in the middle on this issue.

Funnily enough that's the same exact people were saying in the 60's (and way before that as well) about blacks being given the same rights as everyone else. Oh, an women, in the early 1900's, too. It is now federally illegal to discriminate against race and gender in the work place.

Bullying someone for, or making reference about, someone's sexual orientation can lead to sexual/harassment lawsuits if done in a work place, as well.

Edited by Kirux