Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Jull08

KH3D Did anyone notice? - Different face acting adapted to voice acting?

First of all, please excuse any mistakes, english is not my native language. :)

I also used the search option if something similar was already posted, but I couldn't find anything.

It's also possible that I'm stupid and the last person on earth who noticed that, I apologize in advance. :D

AND BE CAREFUL may contain spoilers, but I read that spoiler alerts ended in september here in the forums, so just for you if you don't wanna know... ;)

Well regarding the topic: Did anyone notice that the characters in KH Dream Drop Distance move their mouths differently in the japanese and english versions? Personally I'm very into watching videos again and again, either japanese and english to compare voices and some translations. But Dream Drop Distance is the first game of the series I could notice the facial differences.

Well a friend of mine told me that they could use a special programm for that which identifies the sounds of the voice, letting the character react with their lips to it. It's also used in animated movies. Sounds logical, but I was totally bashed by that fact that they also use it in (some) games, especially in Kingdom Hearts. That makes me adore the producers for their love in detail just more and more.

Uhm yeah, well if you want you can check some of the differences yourself, I'll link one example where you can see it MOST clearly. Check out Sora's and Riku's reaction regarding to Lea's statement:

JAPANESE:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgTiZSesjwg&list=PL7106F9741C641C55&index=24&feature=plpp_video

"EEEEH!?"

1:05:30

ENGLISH:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Iw_HaAu1HU8

"YOUUU!?"

03:50

So does anyone know more facts and information about it? Would be very appreciated!

Edited by Jull08

It's just a nice little tidbit they do when the make the game for other regions. Wouldn't it be weird to have them keep the Japanese version with the English voice overs? The lips wouldn't match the voice! It's something neat that I've always seemed to notice between the different versions of certain things. It's a nice little touch that makes the video games such quality pieces of work. c;

It's just a nice little tidbit they do when the make the game for other regions. Wouldn't it be weird to have them keep the Japanese version with the English voice overs? The lips wouldn't match the voice! It's something neat that I've always seemed to notice between the different versions of certain things. It's a nice little touch that makes the video games such quality pieces of work. c;

YESSS thank you omg! I was always wondering during playing, like, "Hoooww exactly do they translate THAT DAMN GOOD and exact and match the characters' lips nevertheless?!"

Now I know the answer, but it took me years... I'm ashamed haha. But I don't think they do this for every game out there do they? Really, it's the first time I noticed I feel so dumb. :unsure:

But...did they do that for KH1, 2 and BBS aswell? (Just naming these cause I think the other ones would be too "small" to notice?)

But...did they do that for KH1, 2 and BBS aswell? (Just naming these cause I think the other ones would be too "small" to notice?)

I've definitely noticed it for those. The only one that stood out to me for bad lip sync was Re:Chain of Memories.

I've definitely noticed it for those. The only one that stood out to me for bad lip sync was Re:Chain of Memories.

Oh really! I couldn't play Re:CoM yet, they didn't release it here, but I'll look after that when they release the HD collection (if it's still the same then). :) Thanks!

Acctually it doesnt need clever person to realise that mouth moving is similiar to language they speak

Of course, but I didn't know it's used for video games aswell. ;)

They could also just translate it different so that it fits with their lips aswell (and I think people also do it elsewhere that way). Not that I would support that, I was just surprised.

Edited by Jull08

Oh, yeah, I realised that before but never really thought about that! I mean, I'm spanish, and the only game dubbed to spanish was KHII, and I always praised and prefered the english languages not because of the voices, but because in spanish the voices did not seem to match the characters faces very well. I always wondered how could the english dub make it so perfect and never thought it could be a programm.

I was always wondering during playing, like, "Hoooww exactly do they translate THAT DAMN GOOD and exact and match the characters' lips nevertheless?!"

Final Fantasy 10 did pretty much that... aside from the fact that the ending script was not like in the original game.

The Re:CoM cutscenes were pre-rendered. I've heard it would take quite a bit of effort to re-sync those, and since it wasn't really a high-budget game, they opted to leave it as-is (not being worth the effort) and try to fit the translation around it as best they could.