Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
JustRob

KHBbS Ugh, Birth by Sleep is the worst of them all

Seriously, this game is the worst. The worlds are boring and empty, the battle system is overly complicated, and the characters are almost not attractive at all. The only reason I'm trudging through this is for the plot, but it's really hard to keep playing.

This Terra dude, is it just me or is this a flat out Riku clone? It's not just a similarity either, he's EXACTLY the same. He's the moody guy of the three, the most mature one, and the one who lets himself be controlled by darkness, all the while stating he doesn't fear the darkness over and over again. He also seems to team up with Disney villains much like Riku. The only difference is Riku is a well thought out, interesting character, while this guy seems like a cheap impersonation.

Ventus... What the hell can I say, he's Roxas. Except with a different name and batshit crazy clothes that look like they were sewed together from different pieces. He's the exact same as Roxas, in personality and in looks (except clothes). Also the Sora of the group.

Aqua is the Kaira of the group, except she's a bit more battle-ready. Flat, boring character who doesn't have anything interesting going for her at all.

I also think the three storylines thing was a really bad idea. I gotta wait two playthroughs to see the conclusion to each world. Not only that, I kinda want to shoot myself when thinking of having to play through this game two more times.

There are some interesting things in this game, like Vanitas, Xehanort, and Braig, but there's not ENOUGH. Deep Space, where the hell is Xehanort? Where is Vanitas? Why are there only the stupid Disney characters?

What the hell is Disney Town? Everywhere I go there's some kind of minigame. Do I have to complete this shit to progress in the game? God, just let me fight Vanitas, or show some background history on the other future Organization members. I don't give a crap about Experiment 626 or whatever.

Oh, and one more thing. Olympus Colliseum. PLOT TWIST! You got used by Hades! Didn't see that one coming! Seriously, just kill me...

I could go on, but for now I'm done ranting.

I haven't beaten the game yet, right now I'm trudging through Terra's story, because apparently the right order is Terra > Ventus > Aqua.

I'm not saying Aqua is a flat copy of Kairi, but she's like Kairi the most. The mandatory chick who rides the boys' asses and tries to whip them into action. Hell they even included that scene on the beach (or it was somewhere else in this case, whatever) and used the exact same dialogue as in KH1: "Give me a break, Kairi/Aqua." "Come on you lazy bum, get up!". I mean really? What, what happened here? These characters aren't supposed to be related to Sora and Kairi, because otherwise I could understand as some sort of vague foreshadowing. This is just sheer laziness.

But out of all of them Aqua is still the most original. Terra and Ventus are -literally- copies of Riku and Sora. If you'd switch them around with Riku and Sora without changing any of the dialogue, you wouldn't notice any difference.

How long ago was Birth by Sleep made? This is some time to rant on it.

His brain needed time to process and within that time it gave him a misjudgment. 

Birth by Sleep is one of the top games of KH, and was suppose to be on PS2 making it one of the bigger titles if you ask me.

How do you not like Ventus he is awesome

Terra is cool

Aqua is hot

I haven't beaten the game yet, right now I'm trudging through Terra's story, because apparently the right order is Terra > Ventus > Aqua.

I'm not saying Aqua is a flat copy of Kairi, but she's like Kairi the most. The mandatory chick who rides the boys' asses and tries to whip them into action. Hell they even included that scene on the beach (or it was somewhere else in this case, whatever) and used the exact same dialogue as in KH1: "Give me a break, Kairi/Aqua." "Come on you lazy bum, get up!". I mean really? What, what happened here? These characters aren't supposed to be related to Sora and Kairi, because otherwise I could understand as some sort of vague foreshadowing. This is just sheer laziness.

But out of all of them Aqua is still the most original. Terra and Ventus are -literally- copies of Riku and Sora. If you'd switch them around with Riku and Sora without changing any of the dialogue, you wouldn't notice any difference.

Actually, Terra, Aqua, and Ventus ARE connected, so I think this is a bit of foreshadowing here.  To explain this, however, I'll have to offer a fair amount of spoilers.

Ventus's heart goes into Sora, which I *believe* is how Sora wields a Keyblade.  Terra makes Riku his successor when he meets him on Destiny Islands when Riku's a little kid, and Aqua meets Kairi in Radiant Garden.  Unversed corner them from every direction and, out of fear, Kairi grasps on to Aqua's Keyblade, which ultimately made Kairi Aqua's successor.

So really, it's not so much that Terra, Aqua, and Ven copied Sora, Riku, and Kairi, but actually the other way around, since the BbS trio were Keyblade wielders first.  Does that make sense?

I just imagine the amount of dislike this will get, considering BBS is considered one of the best handhelds (and commonly THE best until 3D).

The purpose of mini-games in any game of the series (including Atlantis in KH2) is to give the player a break from fighting, especially if the player decides to grind, getting a break in the sequence to try something else is refreshing, even though I wasn't good at most the games (I think I was best at the rhythm challenge, I could do the racing but generally hate racing games, with stuff like that I'm more into Show Off races with tricks).  So I see no problem with Disney town being like that, that's what it was meant to be for this game, the only thing I even found bothersome was the fact 3 Dream Awards were held were they called TVA and said the other 2 weren't there.  THIS DEFYS LOGIC

Half the reason I love KH, is the Disney characters.  As a 12 year old girl years ago who didn't really game, from an irrational fear of my characters death it was the disney characters (no matter how old I get, I will love classic disney) in the KH2 commercial who got me into the series.  Otherwise I probably wouldn't even be here right now.  The game is known as a mash up of Disney and FF characters with original characters and their own unique story, this is clear from the get go and for someone to play and still complain about their presence is like going out in the rain in a nightdress and complaining you got wet.

I get that, and that's fine, except here the minigames are annoying as shit and nearly impossible to beat. This game is basically telling you "You suck dude, go spend some more time playing this minigame over and over". Also up until now it has never been mandatory, but now I actually need to complete this world in order to move on.

Don't get me wrong, one of the main reasons I love KH is because of the Disney characters. But you know what's the difference between this game and KH1? In KH1 they were actually DOING something. Maleficent was conspiring with Jafar and Ursula and Oogie Boogie and Hades and that was actually interesting and exciting to see. Each one of their boss battles was huge and exciting as well. Up to fighting Genie Jafar and Giant Ursula, it was always a huge thrill.

This game, what happens? I enter Snow White's world, huge expectations, this gotta be awesome right? Well, not really. You get sent out to murder Snow White, decide to refuse, and then you fight... The mirror? World complete, move on now plz. What happened here? What happened to the Dwarves (you know how the movie is called Snow White and the SEVEN DWARVES?). What happened to the queen transforming into a witch and giving Snow White a poisonous apple? If you're going to say I have to wait for the playthrough with the next character, just stop and shoot me instead.

Edited by JustRob

aww man..you should complete the game first before you complaint about it o.O ..

anyway everyone has their own point of view.. 

well GBA CoM is the worst for me.

I get that, and that's fine, except here the minigames are annoying as shit and nearly impossible to beat. This game is basically telling you "You suck dude, go spend some more time playing this minigame over and over". Also up until now it has never been mandatory, but now I actually need to complete this world in order to move on.

Don't get me wrong, one of the main reasons I love KH is because of the Disney characters. But you know what's the difference between this game and KH1? In KH1 they were actually DOING something. Maleficent was conspiring with Jafar and Ursula and Oogie Boogie and Hades and that was actually interesting and exciting to see. Each one of their boss battles was huge and exciting as well. Up to fighting Genie Jafar and Giant Ursula, it was always a huge thrill.

This game, what happens? I enter Snow White's world, huge expectations, this gotta be awesome right? Well, not really. You get sent out to murder Snow White, decide to refuse, and then you fight... The mirror? World complete, move on now plz. What happened here? What happened to the Dwarves (you know how the movie is called Snow White and the SEVEN DWARVES?). What happened to the queen transforming into a witch and giving Snow White a poisonous apple? If you're going to say I have to wait for the playthrough with the next character, just stop and shoot me instead.

The mini games are hard, but equally, if they were easy people would be complaining it's a wash out, least when it's harder, people can retry and retry and get better, whereas when it's easy it's over and done with, so people have nothing to aspire to on it and will just complain.  There is really no way to win 'cause regardless of mini-game or system is implemented there'll be people who walk through saying it's not challenging, and people who struggle saying it's too hard.

In KH1 though there were barely any new characters.  They literally were feeding of Disney storylines to help pad it out.  Now, there is an array of original characters, and BBS introduced 3 new ones who each had their own playable story, and whilst on a handheld, this wouldn't have allowed the space for extra face time for disney characters, it's the same reason there is less and less FF characters.  It would have been nice to have more interactivity, but simply UMD disc space wouldn't allow it, jesus, it wouldn't even allow capes.  

And although your latter points true, if they did stretch out each characters story, then the time spent in one world collectively would be too large, again conflicting with the disc space issue.  You could have played through Terra, finished one world, and go onto Ven's story and finished his chunk, and then Aqua's, so it's most chronological.  

Of all the KH games, I would not call BBS the worse.  Coded is literally the only one that be described as a filler (the rest are bridge, or side) as the information relevant to the plot it includes is minuscule (oh, we need keyblade masters for fight MX, ONTO 3D).  For all the bad points and good points about the game, it is certainly not the worse, and one of the best handhelds, but to each their own, if you really don't like it, you don't have to play it again.  

Most of your complaints can be said about most of the hand held KH games. But you're pointing the finger at the least offender. Coded offered pretty much nothing new, reused same characters/worlds and told an irrelevant story. BBS may use the same formula as a tale of 3 people traveling across various Disney worlds, but offered so much more than the others. This isn't KH III here. Are you seriously saying Coded stands out more than BBS?

Wow, I think this is the first time I've heard that Birth by Sleep isn't as good as the others.

However, I think you might need to play the game a bit more before determining the story useless. 

Thank you for saying that, now I don't feel guilty for not reading the post since he didn't even bother finishing it.