Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Oishii

Canadian money smells like maple syrup!

]Posted Image

Canadians are puzzling over the odor of the country's new plastic bank notes, with some reporting a maple syrup-like smell wafting from the bills. But the Bank of Canada denies adding any scent, according to The Canadian Press.

The mysterious smell came to a boil when the news outlet asked for a year's worth of correspondence sent to the bank about the currency. The first polymer note was issued in 2011, with $5 and $10 bills introduced this year. Dozens of Canadians had contacted the bank about the scent, and some asked whether a scratch-and-sniff patch had been added, according to the bank's records.

The mysterious scent marks the latest controversy for the currency. One botanist earlier this year alleged the Bank of Canada chose the image of a Norway maple -- an invasive species -- for its $20, $50 and $100 bills instead of the native sugar maple, as MSN Money reported in January. (The bank has also denied using the wrong maple, according to The Canadian Press.)

And then there are reports of melting money. One bank teller told the Toronto Star that she had heard of cases in which the plastic bills fused in a hot car.

Given those previous problems, the maple syrup mystery is surely a sweeter issue for the bank to deal with. 

Still, not everyone is happy. "The note . . . lost its maple smell," one writer complained. "I strongly suggest the Bank increases the strength of the . . . maple smell."

Source: http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=377be5ab-010c-4858-9481-723c1451bd09

I think they're on to something.

Actually, I live in Canada. Not all the plastic bills smell like maple, but some of them do. And the whole thing about plastic bills melting is true. I've heard of people who's money melted too. There was a lady who left money in her car(which was very hot that day) and when she came back the money had already melted o__o

Actually, I live in Canada. Not all the plastic bills smell like maple, but some of them do. And the whole thing about plastic bills melting is true. I've heard of people who's money melted too. There was a lady who left money in her car(which was very hot that day) and when she came back the money had already melted o__o

Melting money,that's kind of a flaw. They do have paper money right,right?

The plastic money has just replaced our paper money.

Really,melting money? As if Canada wasn't weird enough. I mean Canadians are nice but well paper money is kind of the norm. ^^

Melting money,that's kind of a flaw. They do have paper money right,right?

Yeah, most of our paper here is actually paper money. Plastic money has been introduced a while ago, but most of our money is still paper. We don't get plastic money often unless it's new from the bank. Otherwise, you'll just be lucky to get plastic bills randomly(or you may not be lucky, 'cause they can melt. It only happens when it's really hot though :)

Yeah, most of our paper here is actually paper money. Plastic money has been introduced a while ago, but most of our money is still paper. We don't get plastic money often unless it's new from the bank. Otherwise, you'll just be lucky to get plastic bills randomly(or you may not be lucky, 'cause they can melt. It only happens when it's really hot though :)

Still flawed.