Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Beta

Did KH cause you any kind of depression?

I know it's crazy and everything, but lately, I notced that my happy-go-around extremely positive friend was somehow depressed, and it was right in the time where he began playing KH games. After thinking about this, I began having serious depression issues around the time I was introduced to KH, and another online friend who's a KH fanatic has been depressed since the day I met them... O.o I also I noticed that there are several members here that have the same weird thing. It's not a fact or anything, not a chance, just a suspicion I had. So, do you think it's possible? Do you really think there's a hidden secret in KH that we don't know? Or do you think that KH is emotional enough to make you emotional yourself? Just tell me your thoughts (no flaming, please >.<)

Edited by Beta

To be completely honest, I've noticed a lot of people on this site have various emotional, mental, psychological (whatever you want to call it) issues. Ranging from not very serious, to quite serious. I would not attribute this to Kingdom Hearts being the cause, but that the internet is a form of escape from the demons of their 'real' world. 

Anyway, as for your friends, I'm not entirely sure. It could be pure coincidence, or maybe they've been like that the whole time and have just got tired of pretending. Or maybe Tetsuya Nomura hides depressants in the games' code, who knows. Not me. 

Edited by Sora'sMum

Kingdom Hearts is quite an emotional video game. I'll admit that I cried quite a bit while I was playing the game. The game does touch many parts of emotions from happiness to sadness to excitement. I don't recall feeling any kind of depression. Personally, I don't think Kingdom Heart causes depression. The game itself is quite upbeat despite some depressing scenes here and there. Do keep in mind that the game is rated E10+ so young kids at 10 play the game too. I doubt there's some "hidden secret" you stated in your list of questions. 

Hope your friend feels better though. 

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies! ^_^ I think I went overboard with this. It must be just pure coincidences, like you all said.

When I listen to the music, I sometimes over think and get depressed.

That's what happened to him when I asked him, he said he's overthinking things and just got depressed. So, that gets me back at square one. >.< But it can't be possible, right? Music can't make someone depressed all of the sudden, right?

You are using the term depression too loosely, like many people do just using the term for "upset".  Your friends may be seem sad or pessimistic but Depression is a strong illness, and it's highly unlikely to be caused by a video game, the games can give you a feeling of sadness if the story ends tragic or their favorite character dies, not it will not make you suffer from depression.  Symptoms of clinical depression include having no motivation or interest in anything as well as finding no enjoyment in things, which would mean your friend wouldn't be bothered to actually play the game.  If your friends are depressed, I doubt that KH triggered it and it's likely that they've been depressed for a long time unless they recently had a trauma in their life.  

I suffer depression, and play KH, but I've been depressed and showing signs of depression since I was as young as 8 (it wasn't as bad as it is now when I was 8 obviously, but there were "symptoms" of depression in my behavior).  When I play KH, it makes me happy.  

Edited by Caity Raindrop

That's what happened to him when I asked him, he said he's overthinking things and just got depressed. So, that gets me back at square one. >.< But it can't be possible, right? Music can't make someone depressed all of the sudden, right?

Well, not all of a sudden, its just if we listen to it, we start thinking, sometimes it gets a bit negative. Sometimes, it's positive.

Kingdom hearts has that ability to get you to connect and reconnect to characters in an instant. I too, have post game depression. Its a real thing! You get random spouts and dread once you remember a character, like missing an old friend that you have no means of contacting. Especially after Kh3 it becomes more out there. We as a fandom have to pull through together with it, and once the games end then thats when we have to stick together the most. Encourage yourself and your friends to sit down and talk about the game, maybe find some funny clips or comics or memes about it. Switch your perspective on how you look at the game. Instead of seeing it as an end, think of it as another chapter in a story. It helps keep your mind off things, it really helps.