Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Hoshiko Hikari

Behind the Names of KH Characters

Also, if you take off the x from xion, it spells out ion.  Ions are unstable sort of like her and attracted to other unstable things, like Roxas and Axel (due to his friendship with Saix crumbling)

Also the Master Keeper's 'key' part shows an E, could stand for Enix.  Square Enix.

Edited by Prince Sky Heart

thanks for themeaning.I've searched Riku but I didn't find anywhereAnd Luxord could have  anything about light in his origin,because of the meaning of Lux in Latin.

this is a good post.*gives a seal*

I always thought the reason behind the names was an interesting thing.  I knew the meanings of Sora, Riku, Kairi, Aqua and Terra but not Ven, Vanitas, Xion, and Namine. Thank you for posting this, now I know :D

Kairi also means the vast distance that separates the land, Riku and Riku is the pain of separation.  Sora is the sky that connects all together. Edited by Prince Sky Heart

I always thought the reason behind the names was an interesting thing.  I knew the meanings of Sora, Riku, Kairi, Aqua and Terra but not Ven, Vanitas, Xion, and Namine. Thank you for posting this, now I know :D

thanks for themeaning.I've searched Riku but I didn't find anywhere

And Luxord could have  anything about light in his origin,because of the meaning of Lux in Latin.

You're very welcome! :)

Actually, if I remember the poem that Kairi wrote in KH2 she said at the end,

"They share one sky, one destiny."

In English it didn't translate to make significance. However sora is sky in Japanese so It has more meaning to it. If you read it in Japenses you would hear sora.

They share the same Sora, sky, and destiny.

It shows the significance of Sora.

Sora is symbolic to his name.Everyone shares the connection of the sky. Hence why everyone looks at the sky at the end of BBS secret ending. He is something everyone share. If you look in the inside of the MoM edition of KH3D, there is this very symbolic picture of Sora, Riku, and Mickey.

Sora can also mean empty in Japanese. However, vanitas is not the primary word for empty in Latin.

That is why I always like to watch the Japanese versions. English sometimes does not do enough explaining when translated to it.

Edited by HikariYami

Actually, if I remember the poem that Kairi wrote in KH2 she said at the end,"They share one sky, one destiny."In English it didn't translate to make significance. However sora is sky in Japanese so It has more meaning to it. If you read it in Japenses you would hear sora.They share the same Sora, sky, and destiny.It shows the significance of Sora.Sora is symbolic to his name.Everyone shares the connection of the sky. Hence why everyone looks at the sky at the end of BBS secret ending. He is something everyone share. If you look in the inside of the MoM edition of KH3D, there is this very symbolic picture of Sora, Riku, and Mickey.Sora can also mean empty in Japanese. However, vanitas is not the primary word for empty in Latin.That is why I always like to watch the Japanese versions. English sometimes does not do enough explaining when translated to it.

Aah! I'm not sure I noticed that before about the sky connecting all worlds like everyone is connected to Sora! Yeah it is annoying how some things get lost in translation. I always watch animé in Japanese but I watch KH in English because I only know a tiny bit of Japanese and the Japanese cutscenes don't come with English subtitles. Having said that I like the English voices in KH anyway (not so much Xion's though) so it's not a problem.

I know 'vanitas' is more used to mean 'vanity' than 'empty' in Latin but Nomura specifically searched for a name that meant 'empty' when he was choosing Vanitas' name.

Huh,I always thought kairi meant seperation.

Someone else said something about that but when I did a Google search for the meaning I only got 'ocean village' for the Japanese meaning and 'song or melody' for the French meaning so I'm not sure where that idea comes from. 

if you write Xion's name in Japanese Floriography, itll be read as Shion which means 'i won't forget you' 

namine's name can also be translated as nami no ne meaning in japanese 'the sound of the waves' since ne means sound. but basically the same meaning as you said.

did you know that Roxas is also a popular filipino last or first name in the Phillipines? xD

I like how Xion's name seems to have the most meaning in the kingdom hearts series. her name has so many meanings

if you write Xion's name in Japanese Floriography, itll be read as Shion which means 'i won't forget you' 

namine's name can also be translated as nami no ne meaning in japanese 'the sound of the waves' since ne means sound. but basically the same meaning as you said.

did you know that Roxas is also a popular filipino last or first name in the Phillipines? xD

I like how Xion's name seems to have the most meaning in the kingdom hearts series. her name has so many meanings

I think I did read that actually :) There's even a place called Roxas City in the Phillipines as well!

I think I did read that actually :) There's even a place called Roxas City in the Phillipines as well!

yep. and one of the former presidents of the phillipines has the first name Roxas xD. i wonder what that means in tagalog...i should ask my parents even though they're not filipino :P and there's a Roxas Blvd. in Manila. i've seen it. but i could take a picture of it cuz it was nighttime

Xemnas is an anagram for Ansem plus the X

But Xemnas can also be an anagram for names plus X.

The X of the organization names is "very probably" not an X, but an greeck X (chi) as seen on Vanitas X-blade inside the game it's sound goes a little closer to the word "key"

So Xemnas would thus became the key of names, this was seen when he gave Roxas his name from Sora's

That could also imply that at least at some point, Roxas was the key for Sora, as in Sora would not be able to wake up without Roxas (KH2) 

Then Xehanort would be or keep the key to No Heart

Just some theories.

images.png