Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Kittenz

''Light'' Doesn't necessarily mean ''Good"

Alright, so, what I’m thinking is, light and dark can be just as ‘’good’’ or ‘’Evil’’ as each other.

Let’s look at the concept of yin and yang for a moment (Yes, this is going to be kinda boring.), because I think it will help explain. History, yay!

‘‘Interwoven in Chinese beliefs was the idea that all thing in heaven were governed by two basic forces- Yin(Dark) and Yang(Light). These constantly interacting forces were in opposition, but needed each other to exist Yang was superior to yin, but perfection could only be achieved when the two were in balance.’’

Wait a min…Isn’t that Master Xehanorts ultimate goal? To force light and dark into balance? Hmmm....

Anyway, onto the part that really explains my little theory:

‘’..Good and Evil were not included. This because they existed in both yin and yang. Evil only appeared in the world when the harmony or balance between the two was disturbed. When Yin or Yang are out of balance they affect each other, and too much of one can eventually weaken (consume) the other.'' Sound familiar? (Also, the white dot in the black part of a yin/yang circle represents the light within the dark and vice verca...like a heart)

If this is indeed the relationship between light and dark in kh, then this means that Kairi-or any other guardian of light-could be consumed by light in similar vein of being consumed by darkness. ''Blinded by light'' if you will. I mention Kairi in particular because her heart is PURE light, with no darkness. omg Imagine anti-form but with light, badass!

This also means we could have light based antagonists….why? Well, if light and dark are not ''good'' and ''evil'' themselves, then that means it is simply that people use them in ''good'' or ''evil' ways. Meaning we could easily has light enemies as much as dark ones.

Edited by Amelia Luscombe

Alright, so, what I’m thinking is, light and dark can be just as ‘’good’’ or ‘’Evil’’ as each other. Let’s look at the concept of yin and yang for a moment (Yes, this is going to be kinda boring.), because I think it will help explain. History, yay! ‘‘Interwoven in Chinese beliefs was the idea that all thing in heaven were governed by two basic forces- Yin(Dark) and Yang(Light). These constantly interacting forces were in opposition, but needed each other to exist Yang was superior to yin, but perfection could only be achieved when the two were in balance.’’ Wait a min…Isn’t that Master Xehanorts ultimate goal? To force light and dark into balance? Hmmm.... Anyway, onto the part that really explains my little theory: ‘’..Good and Evil were not included. This because they existed in both yin and yang. Evil only appeared in the world when the harmony or balance between the two was disturbed. When Yin or Yang are out of balance they affect each other, and too much of one can eventually weaken (consume) the other.'' Sound familiar? (Also, the white dot in the black part of a yin/yang circle represents the light within the dark and vice verca...like a heart) If this is indeed the relationship between light and dark in kh, then this means that Kairi-or any other guardian of light-could be consumed by light in similar vein of being consumed by darkness. ''Blinded by light'' if you will. I mention Kairi in particular because her heart is PURE light, with no darkness. omg Imagine anti-form but with light, badass! This also means we could have light based antagonists….why? Well, if light and dark are not ''good'' and ''evil'' themselves, then that means it is simply that people use them in ''good'' or ''evil' ways. Meaning we could easily has light enemies as much as dark ones.

which means it also works in vice versa and you can use darkness for good

There is truth in that, but who knows if they will do that. I think they'll probably do something like that eventually, but probably not in Kingdom Hearts 3, that would be much better as an aftermath game. Really, the whole light/good dark/bad thing was because for some reason or another all of the good guys chose light and all of the bad guys chose dark. For some reason there aren't any in-betweeners like Riku and Roxas (before anyone objects to Roxas, he had at least one darkness move in Final Mix, the whole "dark swirling wisps" thing, plus being a Nobody automatically places him in the Twilight), but even Sora has had at least some exposure to darkness, while Riku is getting more and more exposure to light.

I remember reading a fan fiction once that involved a new sort of "Organization" made up of some sort of light-based cult of highly priest-like entities who worshiped the light like a religion and, well, you all know how bad religious houses could get back in the day (or today in some cases). They obsessed over it enough to force it on others. The evil in their group was sort of like how staring at the sun long enough can burn your eyes. I'm not hoping for the exact same thing in a future game, but something similar in concept would be interesting, since even light can be corrupted.

Also, even those who wish for balance don't have to be completely neutral. Xehanort for instance. He want's balance in the universe, but he believes that means making the darkness so powerful that it destroys everything so that he can reshape the universe in HIS image. He wants a noble thing, but he's placed himself over everyone else, he deems himself worthy of deciding what's right and what's wrong in the the universe, and believes that only he knows what's best. Never mind being corrupted by the darkness, he's been corrupted by his own pride and self-righteousness. In the end, it's not the light or the dark that defines your moral affiliation, it's your sense of character.

You realize that the series actually embraces this, right? Riku utilized the darkness for good. And even Xehanort thinks he's in the right.

It was even addressed in KH2, when Riku and Mickey said "We don't hate the darkness... it's just scary." and then saying that they're not afraid of the darkness is itself, "But who's lurking inside of it it."

It's acknowledged in the series that neither Darkness nor Light is good. The existence of Eraqus is actually an example of Light being just as misleading as darkness, with Eraqus basically being a 'light' supremacist.