Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
MasterMac

Introducing Friend to KH, Where Should He Start?

First Experience Playing KH Franchise Should Be?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Which Game Should A Gamer, That Is New to KH, Play First?

• Birth By Sleep Final Mix
    • Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
    • Other? Explain below

My best friend knows I play KH and he knows about the franchise because I talk about it so much. He expressed interest and I asked him if he wants to start to play the series I would lend him the games, but because of college he won't start anything till summer (which I am hoping HD 2.5 Remix to be out by). SO, if 2.5 is out by then should I have him start playing by chronological timeline order (start with BBSFM) to make it more clear (ha yeah right)? Or with 1.5 Remix first (KHFM)? I debate this because most of the fans have played the game out of timeline order some how and still manage to get a grip on the story and love the games. 

Start him out the way Nomura set it out for us. Sure BBS is the prequel, but the series focus is Sora and thus it is best right now to leave the tragedy of TVA for after KH2. My friend has just started KHFM, but he's really interested in BBS so I may break my idea of the order due to his bigger interest being where it all began chronologically.

Edited by Vexoria

BbS makes sense chronologically, but you don't really appreciate the references and younger characters unless you've played the other ones first, so I'd say the first game if not the Final Mix version in I.5

Um, Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, duh. I mean, that's a no-brainer, why would anyone care about the other games if they don't know the story to the very first one? Birth by Sleep as a sequel wont make any sense to him if he doesn't know this game first, none of the twists would work. It's safe, it's smart, it's tried and true, it's Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, and it's not going to be anything else.

Get 1.5 then get 2.5, Don't follow chronological order, follow release date order. Then when finished all HD games, your friend should invest in a 3DS to play Dream Drop Distance, then they'll be all set for KH3.

Have him start with KH 1.5 remix.

It's one of those things where you better understand a prequel and have an emotional response to it when you start from the series beiginig, which in this case is kh1.

I personally think it's silly starting with birth by sleep. You almost never start a story knowing the whole back story. It makes the story reveal better that way.

I suggest playing in order they games came out. I hope your friend gets a chance to play 358/2 Days as a game and not just watch the remix cutscenes, it's a bit of a tragedy you don't get to play 'Days' as game in Remix. Coded is the only game I think is better off beiging only cutscenes. Some of the gameplay was interesting in the game but mostly it was too much of a reiteration of the kh1.

Edited by saintsghost

KH 1 should always be played first in my opinion, so I say KH FM (or just KH1). Sure BBS comes first chronologically, but I still think for better understanding it should be played after KH 2.

(So the order would be like this: KH1, CoM, Days, KH2, BBS,  Coded, 3D)

At least your friend is actually into it. Mine won't even try it out :/ I don't know his grudge against Disney, but I believe that's the main reason. He'll leave the room, and won't come back until  I put it up :P

There is only three ways to start the KH series.

Option 1 The long way-KH1 then COM, then KH2, then KH 358/2 days, then KH Birth by Sleep, then KH Re: Coded then KH 3D

Option 2 the average way-KH1.5, then 2.5 then 358/2 days, then Re:Coded then KH 3D

Option 3 the shortcut- KH 1.5,then KH2.5, then KH 3D

Right now I am trying to do a mix of option 1 and 2.

If I were him I'd start with 1.5! Then 2.5 and finally KH3D....Honestly I don't think playing Re:Coded is necessary, (it's kind of like a remake of the first game on the DS but it's not and the game doesn't bring much to the story) but if he wants to play Days he can, I'd just go with the cutscene movie but that's up to him.  :)

Edited by 4KHFangel