Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Fates Chance

What makes Sora a compelling character?

Wow...havent been here in awhile.

But Ive been thinking about it lately and really, with all these other great characters (riku, axel, ect) what is it about sora that makes him a compelling character? I mean, dont get me wrong, i like sora, but sometimes i just wanna smack him over the head. He has a childish, naive ness to him that really makes me wonder some times: why is he our hero in this game?

I mean is it the fact that with all thats happened up til now in the games that he is able to stay optimistic and his willingness to never give up what makes us like him? I mean those are are great qualities but, he can be obnoxious sometimes. Like he doesnt feel the weight of the situation hes facing and what it means. I wish they would make him just a bit more serious in the games. Not completely serious all the time, i think that optimism amongst such serious and sometimes hopelessness is what helps make him compelling. But i wish every now and again they would show just a bit how what hes doing is affecting him. Show some human emotion that anyone would be feeling doing what hes doing. Some doubt, some fear, some seriousness. Because while his attitude now is ok, i must admit his optimism sometimes comes across as cocky and i dont think thats a good look on Sora. 

IDK what do u all think?

At least Sora doesn't have to follow the recipe of whiny emos like Squall,white haired-dudes who most of their conversations are darky dark dark dark darkness light destiny blah blah blah,or generic revenge warrior who wants to avenge someone.

Also,it's not like Sora's characteristics hasn't been done before.

Look at Zidane from FF9 or Bartz from FF5, or heck freakin 27 year old Sabin from FF6,they behave in a similar way and they don't whine every 5 minutes about how dark and grim the situation is.They go ahead and try to change it

Sure I won't mind Sora feeling a little bit of pain here and there for the sake of the story,but not go into emo whiny wa wa mode like Squall

Edited by Red Tribal

MasterXemnas: I didnt say he wasnt at all, i said he some times was but i wanted a bit more. Now answer the question.  I didnt ask about opinions on my opinions, i asked about opinions about sora. answer the question.

But Ive been thinking about it lately and really, with all these other great characters (riku, axel, ect) what is it about sora that makes him a compelling character? I mean, dont get me wrong, i like sora, but sometimes i just wanna smack him over the head. He has a childish, naive ness to him that really makes me wonder some times: why is he our hero in this game?

I mean is it the fact that with all thats happened up til now in the games that he is able to stay optimistic and his willingness to never give up what makes us like him? I mean those are are great qualities but, he can be obnoxious sometimes. Like he doesnt feel the weight of the situation hes facing and what it means. I wish they would make him just a bit more serious in the games. Not completely serious all the time, i think that optimism amongst such serious and sometimes hopelessness is what helps make him compelling. But i wish every now and again they would show just a bit how what hes doing is affecting him. Show some human emotion that anyone would be feeling doing what hes doing. Some doubt, some fear, some seriousness. Because while his attitude now is ok, i must admit his optimism sometimes comes across as cocky and i dont think thats a good look on Sora. 

IDK what do u all think?

That's because Nomura is the best director ever: He created a full-fledged ordinary boy hero, that obviously has defects! His attitude is what makes him a very special character..he's the light inside the darkness, why would you want him "more serious" in dark moments? (he anyway is serious when needed, and FULLY realise the weight of the situation) :D

Nomura has said many many times he made Sora to be the 'average joe ' so we could all relate and that any one of us has the capacity to do great things bc of that . I kinda disagree that he's just the average joe bc he has shown extrordinary strength and saved the worlds many times when others failed .

As for showing emotion, he got on his freaking knees begging Saix to return Kairi . He also fell to his knees in tears when he finally found his best friend who he thought might be dead .He has done the best he could to handle everything despite such struggles and etc . Cut him some slack .

THIS

But apparently most people in the KH fandom that the procedure of making Sora better is:

Make him a Riku clone and have him do the same stuff as him.

or be a crying emo like Squall(I'm sorry I just despise FF8's Squall to no end) and bitch about how the situation is hopeless and how darkness is looming in everyone's heart 

Also,it seems kinda hypocrite to me when people criticise the stuff you said about Sora,but don't mind them in complete morons like Tidus who presents such qualities in the worst way possible(haaaaaaaaaaahahahaha HA)

Also,about this whole stuff about being too serious in dark situation

Wouldn't you want a guy that's not so afraid or serious about it to motivate you and cheer you up

Look at Sabin in FF6,THE WORLD WAS FREAKIN DESTORYED,yet he said"You think something like the end of the world is gonna do me in?Not a chance"That right there is what every man needs

Edited by Red Tribal

IDK what do u all think?

1) The word is naïveté

2) Sora IS serious when push comes to shove (crying a lot over KAiri and Riku, begging Saix, dispairing when everything seems lost...)

3) Sora is supposed to motivate the player to empathize with Sora, therfore Sora is supposed to be the more-or-less childish, silly, Rookie wielder who is growing better becasue THE one important thing he is serious about is his Friends.

4) Would you prefer SOra to give in to darkness already and die?

1) The word is naïveté

2) Sora IS serious when push comes to shove (crying a lot over KAiri and Riku, begging Saix, dispairing when everything seems lost...)

3) Sora is supposed to motivate the player to empathize with Sora, therfore Sora is supposed to be the more-or-less childish, silly, Rookie wielder who is growing better becasue THE one important thing he is serious about is his Friends.

4) Would you prefer SOra to give in to darkness already and die?

IKR?

Imagine after Xemnas's defeat in KH2 when Sora and Riku was stuck....Riku said it's over...imagine if Sora said that too and both stop progressing before finding the door to the light....the whole story would've stopped!

You have to have that one character that motivates the others around him to balance the whole character roster

Otherwise if we had all characters singing:darky dark dark darkness dark destiny fate light darkness fatey fate,KH would've been absolutely boring

LOL that scene xD

And people liked Tidus for those qualities even though he's done the worst representation of such qualities,yet when Sora did it they want Sora to copy Riku and the BBS trio in everyway possible?

It's exactly that personality that makes him compelling. He realizes the seriousness of the situation, but he knows he has to be the ray of hope for his friends. He knows the Keyblade never chose him and he doesn't give a firetruck as long as it helps him protect the people he cares about. He's the one who raises everybody's spirits when the weight of the situation is crushing them. He takes on the pain of others, and never lets it get to him. That kind of ability is a rare gift. And if he ever had to give up the power to wield the Keyblade to save someone he'd gladly do so, with that same big goofy grin on his face and he'd still find a way to fight without it.

In short it is his constant optimism that makes him so loveable

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

IKR?

Imagine after Xemnas's defeat in KH2 when Sora and Riku was stuck....Riku said it's over...imagine if Sora said that too and both stop progressing before finding the door to the light....the whole story would've stopped!

You have to have that one character that motivates the others around him to balance the whole character roster

Otherwise if we had all characters singing:darky dark dark darkness dark destiny fate light darkness fatey fate,KH would've been absolutely boring

And people liked Tidus for those qualities even though he's done the worst representation of such qualities,yet when Sora did it they want Sora to copy Riku and the BBS trio in everyway possible?

Haters gonna hate! xD

It's exactly that personality that makes him compelling. He realizes the seriousness of the situation, but he knows he has to be the ray of hope for his friends. He knows the Keyblade never chose him and he doesn't give a firetruck as long as it helps him protect the people he cares about. He's the one who raises everybody's spirits when the weight of the situation is crushing them. He takes on the pain of others, and never lets it get to him. That kind of ability is a rare gift.

Exactly,and it's not like he's the onlyfirst optimistic dude out there.

Has anyone in the KH fandom heard of Bartz from FF5,Sabin from FF6 and Zidane from FF9

All of those were optimistic,sure they had their share of a sad moment here and there,but they kept going,they kept pressing on and motivating their group until they reach the very end

Also,at least Sora isn't like f***ing TIDUS(HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA HAAAA) who has daddy issues 

The compelling nature of Sora, in my mind, is the thing that a lot of people level against him: the fact that he's NOT the average JRPG hero. In the first KH, it's established that in the Destiny Island trio, Sora is very much the sidekick to Riku, who has all the traits that not only the heroes of the world seem to need, but the heroes that video games seem to demand in general. Yet, Riku falters because he lacks that kind of inherent kindness and sincerity that Sora possesses, which winds up being the thing that makes Sora more of a hero in the long run. He can be the hero of Kingdom Hearts because the story deals more with emotion, something which Sora is very much in tune with, more-so than the rest of the cast. 

I think some people arguing against are getting compelling and complex mixed up here. Sora is not a Complex character, he's the Optimistic guy who always try to stay happy and focused but gets emotional when it is appropriate, this isn't complex because he doesn't go past this. But we're talking about Compelling, he's compelling because i'm interested in his journey, he has a set goal of defeating evil and saving his friends and his cheery personality is interesting enough to make it interesting to see where he goes next. Sora is in no way complex but in terms of compelling, I remain interested in his character and how he'll handle events in KH3.

I think some people arguing against are getting compelling and complex mixed up here. Sora is not a Complex character, he's the Optimistic guy who always try to stay happy and focused but gets emotional when it is appropriate, this isn't complex because he doesn't go past this. But we're talking about Compelling, he's compelling because i'm interested in his journey, he has a set goal of defeating evil and saving his friends and his cheery personality is interesting enough to make it interesting to see where he goes next. Sora is in no way complex but in terms of compelling, I remain interested in his character and how he'll handle events in KH3.

Well.. I wouldn't really call Sora a non-complex character.. There is much more in him than what the first impact can give! He follows his Heart, which is stated to be the most complex thing of all worlds..you know that moment when you can't explain why you're doing something, but you strongly feel it is the RIGHT thing to do? It is because you Heart commands it, the fact you can't explain it proves the fact that there is instead complexity behind what you would call a "non-complex decision", like when Sora just feel he's doing the right thing and just decides to give confidence to a total stranger.. I guess Nomura, with the intention to create an ordinary boy, created the most complex character in the Kingdom Hearts universe xD

The compelling nature of Sora, in my mind, is the thing that a lot of people level against him: the fact that he's NOT the average JRPG hero. In the first KH, it's established that in the Destiny Island trio, Sora is very much the sidekick to Riku, who has all the traits that not only the heroes of the world seem to need, but the heroes that video games seem to demand in general. Yet, Riku falters because he lacks that kind of inherent kindness and sincerity that Sora possesses, which winds up being the thing that makes Sora more of a hero in the long run. He can be the hero of Kingdom Hearts because the story deals more with emotion, something which Sora is very much in tune with, more-so than the rest of the cast. 

You sir are my HERO

You know what? I haven't liked Sora's character in a while. In KHI, he had a justified childishness and naive feeling to him, but he grew and clearly developed, and you could see he still had room for even more development in CoM/Re:CoM, where he still had some of his experience from KH1 despite all the memory mumbo jumbo going on. Then in KHII, it's like he started depleting his character development. Yeah, he has some moments in KHII where he's alright and all, but a lot of the time he's overreacting and being all whiny and dumb and he comes off as annoying. And then in KH3D, he's the exact OPPOSITE, oblivious and too happy for no damn reason and he comes off as so bland I can't stand it. He totally backtracked his character development. I think they're trying too hard to give Sora conflict among the other characters. They're jumbling around his character for the sake of "development", but it's coming off as too artificial and forced. I really hope the "Mature Sora" mentioned in the KHIII press releases is a good likable take on him. I'm starting to feel this way with other characters too, though nowhere near as much.

MasterXemnas: I didnt say he wasnt at all, i said he some times was but i wanted a bit more. Now answer the question.  I didnt ask about opinions on my opinions, i asked about opinions about sora. answer the question.

Fool. You asked us what we thought and I told you.

It's exactly that personality that makes him compelling. He realizes the seriousness of the situation, but he knows he has to be the ray of hope for his friends. He knows the Keyblade never chose him and he doesn't give a firetruck as long as it helps him protect the people he cares about. He's the one who raises everybody's spirits when the weight of the situation is crushing them. He takes on the pain of others, and never lets it get to him. That kind of ability is a rare gift. And if he ever had to give up the power to wield the Keyblade to save someone he'd gladly do so, with that same big goofy grin on his face and he'd still find a way to fight without it.

I agree with most everything you said except for one thing : The keyblade DID end up choosing Sora bc like Nomura said it was his destiny . He always had the right qualities and that's why Aqua almost gave him the ceremony but didnt bc of this :

- In Aqua's chapter, on the Destiny Islands, was Aqua originally intending to perform the Keyblade rite for Sora or Riku?

Nomura: Yes. When Aqua met Sora and Riku, she was on the point of realising that she may end up having to fight Terra. At that point she was going to perform the rite of succession for Sora, but realised that Terra had already performed the rite for Riku. Not wanting sora and Riku to end up fighting like she and Terra in the future, she didn't perform the rite for Sora. This is the meaning behind her murmurs that "One must not get too close to a chosen one," and "I must not make them walk the same path." When she tells Sora he must save Riku if he ends up walking the wrong path, she's projecting her own thoughts onto Sora. .. 

The fact that he still got chosen anyways supports Nomura's own words about destiny. When KH1 was made Ven didn't even exist

Also the KH1 Ultimania also says he had all the right qualities. Remember ,the theory about Ventus being the only reason Sora wields is only a fan theory and nothing more :

Nomura: Yes. One of the concepts behind the KH series is that the main character Sora isn�t special, he�s just a normal boy. Yes he does have connections with Ventus� heart, among others, but he hasn�t inherited anything from them. He�s just a normal boy you could find anywhere. I wanted to make Sora a character that the player could take onto themselves and feel that you don�t have to be special. But connect to many people and you will realize your secret potential. With BbS I want to make fans excited to see Sora�s return. The secret event is a symbol of that, so I hope everyone will get to see it and wait for Sora�s next adventure.

In the KH1 Ultimania Nomura did say why Sora was chosen ( even though he wasn't 'officially chosen' till the keyblade chose to stay with Sora for good .So he was chosen ..In DDD Xigbar deliberately was trying to troll him by saying he wasn't a true wielder or whatever but thats all it was - a troll to help lure him into the trap further and further ,Btw here's what Nomura said in the KH1 Ultimania about this:

pg. 532

The reason why he sent out Kairi was to find the Keyblade. In the End of the The World’s prison, there is a is evidence that is left behind. Ansem believed that the young princess would end up where the Keyblade was no matter what. Thus the event of Kairi joining Sora and Riku is a coincidence and fate.

---Does that mean there are other Keyblade masters?

Nomura: Well, there are other Keyblade masters, but coincidentally for now, Kairi happened to arrive to the world Riku and Sora are in.

---Even though Riku was the rightful owner of the Keyblade, then why did Sora obtain the Keyblade in the beginning?

Nomura: Even though I would like to keep that obscure, there is a scene in Destiny islands where Riku is being swallowed by darkness, a light appears, and Sora first obtains the keyblade. With the setting I created, the darkness that surrounds them is Riku’s heart’s darkness. At that moment, Sora enters the darkness, and the light he sees inside is Riku’s heart’s light. Sora, who was squirming in the darkness to save Riku, touched the light and temporarily obtained the Keyblade from Riku.

---Does not the Keyblade itself choose its owner?

Nomura: The Keyblade reacts to the rightful owner’s heart and appears to them. Even though it was definitely Riku who called the Keyblade towards him, the reason why Sora was able to weild it was because he also had the right qualities too.

Talk about destiny :) KH loves to use that concept!

To me, what makes Sora such a compelling character is his willingness to help others and let people into his heart.  It's not easy for a person to bear the burden of others on their shoulders, but Sora manages to do so while keeping a smile on his face.  His optimism allows him to overcome the grimness of the situation at hand and allows others to think optimistic as well.  His naive nature is due to the fact that he learns new things from each experience he faces, and since he's still getting to know how the world works, he has a mind set in which anything is possible, no matter how dark and hopeless things seem.  His heart is the grapple that sustains so many other hearts to him, and through his emotions, he's able to carry on the emotions left by his friends, and use that emotion to fight for what's right.  I for one, think that is why Sora makes for such a compelling character. :)

I agree with most everything you said except for one thing : The keyblade DID end up choosing Sora bc like Nomura said it was his destiny . He always had the right qualities and that's why Aqua almost gave him the ceremony but didnt bc of this :

- In Aqua's chapter, on the Destiny Islands, was Aqua originally intending to perform the Keyblade rite for Sora or Riku?

Nomura: Yes. When Aqua met Sora and Riku, she was on the point of realising that she may end up having to fight Terra. At that point she was going to perform the rite of succession for Sora, but realised that Terra had already performed the rite for Riku. Not wanting sora and Riku to end up fighting like she and Terra in the future, she didn't perform the rite for Sora. This is the meaning behind her murmurs that "One must not get too close to a chosen one," and "I must not make them walk the same path." When she tells Sora he must save Riku if he ends up walking the wrong path, she's projecting her own thoughts onto Sora. .. 

The fact that he still got chosen anyways supports Nomura's own words about destiny. When KH1 was made Ven didn't even exist

Also the KH1 Ultimania also says he had all the right qualities. Remember ,the theory about Ventus being the only reason Sora wields is only a fan theory and nothing more :

Nomura: Yes. One of the concepts behind the KH series is that the main character Sora isn�t special, he�s just a normal boy. Yes he does have connections with Ventus� heart, among others, but he hasn�t inherited anything from them. He�s just a normal boy you could find anywhere. I wanted to make Sora a character that the player could take onto themselves and feel that you don�t have to be special. But connect to many people and you will realize your secret potential. With BbS I want to make fans excited to see Sora�s return. The secret event is a symbol of that, so I hope everyone will get to see it and wait for Sora�s next adventure.

In the KH1 Ultimania Nomura did say why Sora was chosen ( even though he wasn't 'officially chosen' till the keyblade chose to stay with Sora for good .So he was chosen ..In DDD Xigbar deliberately was trying to troll him by saying he wasn't a true wielder or whatever but thats all it was - a troll to help lure him into the trap further and further ,Btw here's what Nomura said in the KH1 Ultimania about this:

pg. 532

The reason why he sent out Kairi was to find the Keyblade. In the End of the The World’s prison, there is a is evidence that is left behind. Ansem believed that the young princess would end up where the Keyblade was no matter what. Thus the event of Kairi joining Sora and Riku is a coincidence and fate.

---Does that mean there are other Keyblade masters?

Nomura: Well, there are other Keyblade masters, but coincidentally for now, Kairi happened to arrive to the world Riku and Sora are in.

---Even though Riku was the rightful owner of the Keyblade, then why did Sora obtain the Keyblade in the beginning?

Nomura: Even though I would like to keep that obscure, there is a scene in Destiny islands where Riku is being swallowed by darkness, a light appears, and Sora first obtains the keyblade. With the setting I created, the darkness that surrounds them is Riku’s heart’s darkness. At that moment, Sora enters the darkness, and the light he sees inside is Riku’s heart’s light. Sora, who was squirming in the darkness to save Riku, touched the light and temporarily obtained the Keyblade from Riku.

---Does not the Keyblade itself choose its owner?

Nomura: The Keyblade reacts to the rightful owner’s heart and appears to them. Even though it was definitely Riku who called the Keyblade towards him, the reason why Sora was able to weild it was because he also had the right qualities too.

Talk about destiny :) KH loves to use that concept!

I know all that, but in 3D he says he knows it didn't and he doesn't care. I was looking at it from his perspective, not as an outside observer.

Edited by Isamu_Kuno