Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Cucco

Are people actually born gay? My analysis.

Just to clarify, I am not being hateful to homosexuals. I just want to put together the info that I gathered to make an analysis.

So, I hear people say that they're born that way and they can't help it. And maybe they can't help it, the environment they're raised in does play a huge factor in it, but I do not think anyone is born this way. There is a "gay" gene in some people that makes a 40% chance of someone turning out to be homosexual. It's like a misplacement of the X chromosome or something. But the thing is about that, they really aren't born that way. They're just more susceptible you could say to becoming homosexual early in life or maybe later. The environment and influence they are exposed to early in life is really what causes it from what I can gather. Men who have abusive/nonloving fathers, and are closer to their mothers is one of the factors from what I found, and it's the other way around for women. Another thing is the amount of older brothers the person has if they are male, and again the other way around for female. And I know not just a whole lot of people are raped, but men who are raped by men/women who are raped by women are more likely to turn out this way.

Something I theorized myself is that, since the top 3 most intelligent animals(dolphins,apes, and us) are the only ones who can be homosexual, That might confirm that it is largely influence, as these animals are the only ones susceptible to being largely influenced due to their high intelligence.

I'm not homophobic, and I know it is definitely not choice(at least 99% of the time its not...), but I just wanted to analyze it.

Edited by Cucco

Being a homosexual, bisexual or heterosexual is definitely something you are born with.

As for the environmental factor, I believe that if there is a way to explore such sexuality then thats the reason it may seem being gay could be based off of influence, but it has to be there in the first place.

Note, these are probably going to be extreme cases, but it still gives the same statement.

For example, I can be gay, live in a society filled with straight is good and gay is bad, being sexual is sinful, with feminine and masculine stereotypes being thrown left and right and I can seem straight with a husband (or a wife if you're a guy) and children. I'd probably not really question my sexuality because I am being told its not right, so either my mind says "okay so I am not a lesbian just because I don't want to be" or I wouldn't even question it in the first place.

Or

I can be gay, live in our modern westernized society, and be able to explore my sexuality without being told I have to be straight or else repeatedly. Even if some people don't condone it, they don't repeatedly attack gays. So it'll be fine to explore it.

In my analysis, being gay is something you are born with, but whether you realize you are gay or not could depend on where you are born and how the people around you function.

Being a homosexual, bisexual or heterosexual is definitely something you are born with.

As for the environmental factor, I believe that if there is a way to explore such sexuality then thats the reason it may seem being gay could be based off of influence, but it has to be there in the first place.

Note, these are probably going to be extreme cases, but it still gives the same statement.

For example, I can be gay, live in a society filled with straight is good and gay is bad, being sexual is sinful, with feminine and masculine stereotypes being thrown left and right and I can seem straight with a husband (or a wife if you're a guy) and children. I'd probably not really question my sexuality because I am being told its not right, so either my mind says "okay so I am not a lesbian just because I don't want to be" or I wouldn't even question it in the first place.

Or

I can be gay, live in our modern westernized society, and be able to explore my sexuality without being told I have to be straight or else repeatedly. Even if some people don't condone it, they don't repeatedly attack gays. So it'll be fine to explore it.

In my analysis, being gay is something you are born with, but whether you realize you are gay or not could depend on where you are born and how the people around you function.

Well.....this wasn't supposed to be a social commentary on homosexuality but ok I guess.

I researched it, and this is what I found out. I found no evidence supporting that it was definitely something you are born with, but your genetics can be a big factor in it. 

Well I don't see how you wouldn't know if you were gay or not, I mean I am straight and I know i am because I am sexually attracted to women and not men. I don't see how it would be any harder for homosexuals to understand.

Edited by Cucco

In my opinion, it's loads of factors that determine wether you become gay/bi/straight.

One of the most discussed factors is genes. Indeed they are a factor, but is it really the most important one?

The surrouding environment, and the education a person receives are the most important factors in my opinion.

Imagine if you were in a environment where you were told that being gay/bi/straight was the only choice you could have, and all of the others were "evil". If you were very young, you would accept this as being true.

Which leads to another important factor: Maturity.

Maturity plays an important role as well. if a person is mature enough, they can choose wether to become gay/bi/straight. Which also leads to another factor: Free will.

Anyways, my point is that there's lots of factors that determine whether what you will choose to become., or what to not become.

lol it literally has like nothing to do with your upbringing. Being gay could end in beatings, rape, or death. If someone had the chance to be equally happy in life by being straight (the implication is that everyone is born straight), don't you think they'd choose that over the constant threat of assault or murder? I grew up in a very "masculine" household - by your logic, I should be 100% into men. But I like girls too. Intelligent animals are able to decide on their sexuality while less intelligent ones are not, because the less intelligent animals often only think of reproducing and don't care about anything else (for instance, female praying mantis eat males after mating). They're just not evolved enough to have complex social lives and relationships.

Frankly, being straight would be really convenient for me. I really didn't get a kick out of watching my mom cry when I talked to her about it. I hate every time I'm forced to listen to some homophobic bible-thumper preach about how awful I am. If there was ANY choice in being part of the LGBT community NOBODY would choose it. This is probably the least thought out "analysis" I've ever seen in addition to coming off as pretty rude, not to mention that there is a plethora of studies that say the exact opposite. For example, the "gay gene" studies are unconfirmed and apply only to male genes (at the moment because such a thing cannot be confirmed in female genes, the implication is what they're finding doesn't actually have anything to do with sexuality). In addition to the fact that scientists have argued against the findings, the study specifically says "Being gay is nothing to do with your relationship with your mother, your father, or your best friend at boarding school". You literally said that the "gay gene" and such relationships described in the quote correlate, yet the study specifically says there's no correlation. You just made up that part. 

I would seriously recommend that you not preach about a subject you don't appear to be well-informed about in a way that can be construed as offensive. 

Well.....this wasn't supposed to be a social commentary on homosexuality but ok I guess.

I researched it, and this is what I found out. I found no evidence supporting that it was definitely something you are born with, but your genetics can be a big factor in it. 

Well I don't see how you wouldn't know if you were gay or not, I mean I am straight and I know i am because I am sexually attracted to women and not men. I don't see how it would be any harder for homosexuals to understand.

Well the whole point is to analyze how and why people are gay, and now I gave you mine. Its going to be a "social commentary" regardless since its not like we actually experimented this hypothesis.

If you don't explore something, you'll never know.

There are societies out there that don't approve of homosexuality, so if people aren't free to explore that sexuality, they can't really know if they are gay or bi.

If you know you are straight, its because you explored that sexuality freely. Its different in western societies, where you are free to do this. Being straight isn't really talked down to, so thus there is nothing holding you back from exploring it or being open minded to it.

lol it literally has like nothing to do with your upbringing. Being gay could end in beatings, rape, or death. If someone had the chance to be equally happy in life by being straight (the implication is that everyone is born straight), don't you think they'd choose that over the constant threat of assault or murder? I grew up in a very "masculine" household - by your logic, I should be 100% into men. But I like girls too. Intelligent animals are able to decide on their sexuality while less intelligent ones are not, because the less intelligent animals often only think of reproducing and don't care about anything else (for instance, female praying mantis eat males after mating). They're just not evolved enough to have complex social lives and relationships.

Frankly, being straight would be really convenient for me. I really didn't get a kick out of watching my mom cry when I talked to her about it. I hate every time I'm forced to listen to some homophobic bible-thumper preach about how awful I am. If there was ANY choice in being part of the LGBT community NOBODY would choose it. This is probably the least thought out "analysis" I've ever seen in addition to coming off as pretty rude, not to mention that there is a plethora of studies that say the exact opposite. For example, the "gay gene" studies are unconfirmed and apply only to male genes (at the moment because such a thing cannot be confirmed in female genes, the implication is what they're finding doesn't actually have anything to do with sexuality). In addition to the fact that scientists have argued against the findings, the study specifically says "Being gay is nothing to do with your relationship with your mother, your father, or your best friend at boarding school". You literally said that the "gay gene" and such relationships described in the quote correlate, yet the study specifically says there's no correlation. You just made up that part. 

I would seriously recommend that you not preach about a subject you don't appear to be well-informed about in a way that can be construed as offensive. 

I never said it was choice, in fact I explicitly said it wasn't 

I never said it was choice, in fact I explicitly said it wasn't 

"I do not think anyone is born this way." "But the thing is about that, they really aren't born that way." These are direct quotes from your original post. By saying no one is born this way you are implying that it is a choice.

"I do not think anyone is born this way." "[/size]But the thing is about that, they really aren't born that way." [/size]These are direct quotes from your original post. By saying no one is born this way you are implying that it is a choice.[/size]

no, I was saying that they were influenced to be that way, even if the influence was unintentional.

no, I was saying that they were influenced to be that way, even if the influence was unintentional.

You're going back and forth here. I called you out when you said it was a choice, to which you replied saying it's not a choice. So I quote you saying it is a choice, and you reply by saying they were influenced (which implies everyone is born straight and become gay, so it's a choice). I don't even understand your position anymore because you keep going back on things you had previously said. 

You're going back and forth here. I called you out when you said it was a choice, to which you replied saying it's not a choice. So I quote you saying it is a choice, and you reply by saying they were influenced (which implies everyone is born straight and become gay, so it's a choice). I don't even understand your position anymore because you keep going back on things you had previously said. 

Well I don't understand you anymore because I'm tired as firetruck and you're twisting my brain around so BLEK.

Well I don't understand you anymore because I'm tired as firetruck and you're twisting my brain around so BLEK.

omfg

I think that people who want to be gay want to be gay because they choice to be gay.

Why would anyone want to be gay? You have to worry about being beaten or raped or murdered your entire life. People who feel this way feel it because they don't have a choice. It makes no sense to want to be something that will cause you to live in fear your entire life. Although I can only speak for myself, I feel embarrassed as hell telling people irl about myself. I realize that something terrible can happen to me if the wrong person finds out. And yet I cannot change who I feel attracted to. It's not a choice I have - if it were, I'd be perfectly content with men. But that's not who I am and I don't have any choice in the matter. I definitely didn't grow up in an environment that "encouraged me to be gay". I went to two strongly homophobic Christian schools in elementary and middle school, but it was in early middle school that I figured myself out. That was when I'd still barely been on the internet, and certainly not exposed to the LGBTQIAP's presence. It doesn't make any sense for me, or anyone, to choose this. I realize that might have come off a little rude but that wasn't my intention, so sorry if you get that vibe. 

omfgWhy would anyone want to be gay? You have to worry about being beaten or raped or murdered your entire life. People who feel this way feel it because they don't have a choice. It makes no sense to want to be something that will cause you to live in fear your entire life. Although I can only speak for myself, I feel embarrassed as hell telling people irl about myself. I realize that something terrible can happen to me if the wrong person finds out. And yet I cannot change who I feel attracted to. It's not a choice I have - if it were, I'd be perfectly content with men. But that's not who I am and I don't have any choice in the matter. I definitely didn't grow up in an environment that "encouraged me to be gay". I went to two strongly homophobic Christian schools in elementary and middle school, but it was in early middle school that I figured myself out. That was when I'd still barely been on the internet, and certainly not exposed to the LGBTQIAP's presence. It doesn't make any sense for me, or anyone, to choose this. I realize that might have come off a little rude but that wasn't my intention, so sorry if you get that vibe.

he was being sarcastic

That post doesn't sound at all sarcastic. 

That post is my opinion about this topic. just think about nature for a minute. Two male rabbits will never have a baby and Two female rabbits will never have a baby. It's just not right. 

Edited by Zeldablade7

That post is my opinion about this topic. just think about nature for a minute. Two male rabbits will never have a baby and Two female rabbits will never have a baby. It's just not right.

he does have a point. The entire reason we have dicks or vaginas is to make babies. But his first post I don't agree with.

Well, actually, we can with modern technology, but I understand what you're saying. However, it's mostly about love. I don't know anyone who thinks "I want to date someone who will produce lots of babies" and isn't thinking about personality, etc. Humans marry for love, and if someone happens to love someone of the same sex? Then it's good news for the human race, because 5x the number of gay couples are willing to adopt than there are children in foster care. So if we're speaking in terms of nature, samesex couples are extremely beneficial for the human race. They won't create new children and will nurture and raise children who need to be adopted. Rabbits aren't getting married and falling in love - they're making babies because they know they must for their race to survive. They're also not going to adopt another bunny's babies. In nature, heterosexual reproduction rarely has anything to do with love (I know I used this example before, but the female praying mantis eats the male after sex. You wouldn't eat someone you love lol) Of course, with humans, it all has to do with love. So the "nature" argument doesn't really apply to humans, especially since samesex couples are actually beneficial to us evolutionarily. 

If there truly is a gay gene, the quickest way to kill off homosexuals would be let them be homosexual. Because then they won't reproduce and only hetrosexual's and bis will remain. Silly people trying to force homosexuals to not be homosexual as a way to get rid of them. (note this method only would work if gene only accounts for homosexuals and not bisexuals)Though if environmental factors have a lot to do with it, the aforementioned method wouldn't necessarily work. Though if it is a mixture it would work.And if the only variable is how "cupid's arrow" hits someone, then it is just love and there is nothing that can be done. (like people chose who they fall in love with?)In my opinion it is probably a mixture of genetics and upbringing. Neither seem like it would be the complete cause of it. And upbringing isn't a choice. You don't chose your caregivers, the people in your neighborhood, your teachers, who's at your school, ect.

Note: No, I am not promoting the extermination or persecution of homosexuals. I just wanted to point on that if it is mostly genetic, the best way to reduce the homosexual population is to let them be homosexual.

Also I want to point out, I know there are many animals outside of Apes, Dolphins, and humans that can be bisexual.  Though I did not look up research on true homosexuality in animals.

Have any of you actually considered the fact that humans aren't the only species with homosexuality

Bats are good example. They don't care about what other bats think but many of them are homosexual.

It's not a choice if other animals do it.

I'm not saying I believe it is a choice, but IF somebody were to chose that, it's not guaranteed that they will be tormented like you have described. I think it's awful and absolutely disgusting that people are discriminated because of their sexuality, yet not every single homosexual or bisexual (and any other category you want to throw in) is treated like that. For instance, I have a gay friend who is pretty popular actually, and his parents are loving and accepting of him. That's only one out of the many individuals at my school who are thought of as equals and who have a sexual orientation other than straight. To get to my point, IF it was a choice, a person may choose that simply because they want to.

I didn't mean to imply that everyone who identifies as something other than straight experiences those things. I guess I probably firetrucked up the wording there. Anyway, I mean there will still be people who will hate you at some point in your life. Chick Fil A has funded violent anti-LGBTQIAP+ groups, so such groups do exist. I'm glad your friend is in a safe environment, but there are still people in the world who think they're sick and want them murdered. So if it were a choice, it would be a dangerous choice to make because you will always have to fear the discrimination (you can still be fired in many states for being gay) and possible assault or murder. Even if you think you're in a loving environment, some underlying fear is always there. And some people still have to lose their jobs and lives over who they love. So the point I was trying to make was that no one would choose a life where they'd have to fear for their safety, the safety of their family, and even stuff as basic as their job.