Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Wateraptor

Who is Chernabog in Kingdom Hearts?

Can you explain who is Chernabog in the Kingdom Hearts series? In Kingdom Hearts 1 in one of the hotel rooms we can see the picture of Bald Mountain, the "house" of Chernabog, but in the DDD Chernabog is part of a Mickey's dream (?).I've not played yet DDD, but I've seen the uploaded video. Can someone explain to me Chernabog's role in this game?I'm new in the site and I'm not sure on where I was supposed to start this topic. If it's in the wrong section, excuse me  :D.

He's basically Disney's literal devil. The role he plays is to instill fear in the hearts of players, like he did so long ago in A Night On Bald Mountain. 

Chernabog never really had a major role. In Kingdom Hearts 1 he was just a boss in the final world who clearly survived the destruction of his world. In Dream Drop Distance, he was in one of the sleeping that did not recover completely after the Ansem was defeated in KH1 and all the worlds went back to normal.

So basically, he was just a boss twice, who was originally gonna be the final boss in KH1, but after changing the story a bit, his boss fight was just too awesome to take away, so they left him in. 

Edited by Master Eraqus

Chernabog's presence in the bottom of the pit at The End of The World is sort of meant to fulfill a few roles. As essentially the Devil, he sort of represents all of the things that makes the Darkness scary. He's malicious, destructive, and basically an embodiment of all that is not particularly good. It makes sense that he lives in a place that houses the Darkness in men's hearts. The fact that he still stands among the Heartless when nearly every other person has been consumed by them is also a testament to his power. The fight against him is kind of one of the ultimate tests of Sora's strength of heart: he has to try and keep his will in the face of all that is evil. 

In DDD, he's pretty much there because Fantasia.

I heard a rumor that at one point Chernabog was actually going to be a major villain in KH1, but that got scrapped. Anyone who's seen Night on Bald Mountain from Fantasia as a kid (heck, I watched it a year ago and it still creeps me out) knows Chernabog as one of the scariest characters in all of Disney, and as a very powerful demon (which is what he is in Fantasia), it makes sense that he'd be an enemy in the world created by the destruction of the Heartless. He's meant to be a boss whom players see and go OH CRAP, THIS GUY?!?!

It's not really clear how he appears in the games. From what we know, he just has a connection with darkness in the game. And yeah, he's in KH3D because he's from the movie Fantasia.

You could say he's an enemy from Symphony of the Sorcery, and that this world was destroyed by Ansem Seeker of Darkness. Chernabog could have somehow survided the destruction though, and stayed in End of World with all its darkness. Or Ansem could have somehow summoned him, since he would be a good enemy to Sora. 

I personally think he doesn't even exist in any particular world. Since Young Xehanort kinda summons him in KH3D, and Ansem could have done the same in Kingdom Hearts. 

There's no definite answer I would say. But we can make many theories xP

Answering to many users' questions, I perfectly know who Chernabog is in Disney universe  :) I just tried to understand if in Kingdom Hearts is something different because I like this character and I was a little disappointed not seeing him in the Jiminy's Journal in Kingdom Hearts I.

Chernabog never really had a major role. In Kingdom Hearts 1 he was just a boss in the final world who clearly survived the destruction of his world. In Dream Drop Distance, he was in one of the sleeping that did not recover completely after the Ansem was defeated in KH1 and all the worlds went back to normal.

So basically, he was just a boss twice, who was originally gonna be the final boss in KH1, but after changing the story a bit, his boss fight was just too awesome to take away, so they left him in. 

Oh, really? How many times did they change the final boss? This explains why there's not a JJournal page for him.

It's not really clear how he appears in the games. From what we know, he just has a connection with darkness in the game. And yeah, he's in KH3D because he's from the movie Fantasia.

You could say he's an enemy from Symphony of the Sorcery, and that this world was destroyed by Ansem Seeker of Darkness. Chernabog could have somehow survided the destruction though, and stayed in End of World with all its darkness. Or Ansem could have somehow summoned him, since he would be a good enemy to Sora. 

I personally think he doesn't even exist in any particular world. Since Young Xehanort kinda summons him in KH3D, and Ansem could have done the same in Kingdom Hearts. 

There's no definite answer I would say. But we can make many theories xP

Then there are two possibilities: Chernabog is an immortal dark creature that shows himself in particular dark worlds or he met Mickey in a previously adventure and he's part of his dreams.

Chernabog originated from an orchestral piece called "night on bald mountain" by a Russian composer, Modest Mussorgsky, about a witches' sabbath. The chernabog was a a character in the musical that was commonly worshipped by the witches, thus explaining the title of the score "glorification of the chernabog". His name, chernabog literally means black god. Cherno - black, and bog- god. In the play, he is summoned to separate a man's soul from his body.

Although the play never happen during mussorgsky's lifetime, it was soon brought to the attention of Walt Disney who incorporated it into his own version of night on bald mountain as a part of Fantasia

He's a villain in the Disney universe which explains why he could easily be summoned to be used against sora

Hope that cleared some stuff up

Really? I heard that role was originally meant to be filled by Maleficent. Then again, that was way back when Square wanted Mickey as the MC and original characters like Ansem and Sora (even in his human/lion hybrid form with the chainsaw like weapon) didn't exist.

Anyway, in KH Chernabog in just a boss who likes to get in the good guys way because he's evil just for the sake of being evil. Personally, I think he should have a much larger role in the story because in the Disney-verse he's the devil, the source of all evil, the living embodiment of Darkness, whose only fear is Michael Eisner. (not even kidding about this, go on YouTube and look up "Walt Disney: 50 years of magic" you'll see)

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

Really? I heard that role was originally meant to be filled by Maleficent. Then again, that was way back when Square wanted Mickey as the MC and original characters like Ansem and Sora (even if his human/lion form with the chainsaw like weapon) didn't exist.

Anyway, in KH Chernabog in just a boss who likes to get in the good guys way because he's evil just for the sake of being evil. Personally, I think he should have a much larger role in the story because in the Disney-verse he's the devil, the source of all evil, the living embodiment of Darkness, whose only fear is Michael Eisner. (not even kidding about this, go on YouTube and look up "Walt Disney: 50 years of magic" you'll see)

Oh my God there's Neil Patrick Harris in that video  :O

Can you explain who is Chernabog in the Kingdom Hearts series? In Kingdom Hearts 1 in one of the hotel rooms we can see the picture of Bald Mountain, the "house" of Chernabog, but in the DDD Chernabog is part of a Mickey's dream (?).I've not played yet DDD, but I've seen the uploaded video. Can someone explain to me Chernabog's role in this game?I'm new in the site and I'm not sure on where I was supposed to start this topic. If it's in the wrong section, excuse me  :D.

He's just a disney boss, I have to say that in KHI was very strong, in DDD kinda sucks...

Nothing but a recurring boss fight xD