Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
advfox

What's Your Opinion on FINAL FANTASY XII?

I hear a lot of mixed thoughts about what people think about this game, so I thought I'd ask the question directly. What are your thoughts on FINAL FANTASY XII? What do you like/not like about it?

The characters seem fine but the gameplay overall is just dull and oring to me. Unless you're really dedicated t beat the game, than you'll probably lose interest in FF XII pretty quickly.

I wasn't especially taken in by the game at first but after really taking the time to sit down and play it it wasn't so bad. I think my main gripe about the game is that the game's main protagonist Vaan is sort of haphazardly thrown into a conflict where his role isn't particularly special. The real focus is on Ashe and Basch and either one of them seem like a better choice for a main protagonist. That and I feel like Vaan's abs were drawn on versus Tidus' from X. xD

I wasn't especially taken in by the game at first but after really taking the time to sit down and play it it wasn't so bad. I think my main gripe about the game is that the game's main protagonist Vaan is sort of haphazardly thrown into a conflict where his role isn't particularly special. The real focus is on Ashe and Basch and either one of them seem like a better choice for a main protagonist. That and I feel like Vaan's abs were drawn on versus Tidus' from X. xD

Ito explained Vaan was supposed to be like the eyes of the player.

I thought Final Fantasy XII was a great game. It's a little divided amongst fans but I think at this point it's very much an underrated classic in the series. Definitely up there with IX any ways in that regard.

The gameplay is hit or miss mainly and it's very much you either like it or you don't, that and Vaan's importance to the story is... questionable, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm disappointed that it hasn't been confirmed that HD remaster is in the works yet.

Overall though, Ito and his team did a great job on the game and I'm grateful that I got to experience it.

FFXII flies under the radar a lot. Probably because it's kind of a snoozefest, which is really my main gripe with it. It feels like I'm playing a single-player version of FFXI and that's just boring to me. 

However, I haven't played the game since it came out, so if they decided to HD remake it, my opinion would probably change.

Edited by Kaweebo

It's hit-and-miss. The music's really good and the story involving Ashe is pretty good, but other than that it's kind of a hotmess. The gameplay is too MMO-like for me, but I guess I could see that appealing to some people. And then Penelo and Vaan both fall out of the story early on, which I understand that they're supposed to be the "eyes" of the player but god damn, they could've at least stayed actually engaged in the story rather than just being shoved to the side as soon as their plot devices are done with.

It had the most potential, but wound up falling on it's face because of it.  It has some of the series best characters (minus Vaan and Penelo) and probably one of the best written stories, even if it borrows heavily from Star Wars.  The gameplay was alright, but not my favorite in the series.

I'm sure it would have done better If Basch was made the lead character like he was originally intended to be, and if it didn't carry the FF tag.  It was also much more difficult than X before it.

Totally underrated, but I can kinda see why. The story isn't bad, but it's hard to understand with all the political stuff going on (plus it progresses so slowly you get to forget everything that has happened), and the characters aren't that likeable (especially Vaan and Penelo). Maybe it would've worked out better with Ashe or Basch as a main character.

Aside from that, it's really not that bad a game. The world for instance is absolutely gorgeus and there's so much to do (hunts and all). Overall I like the atmosphere of the game, and I think the difficulty is nice. Pretty hard, but not too. Gambits get a bit boring sometimes, but I still like them. And I like being able to move during the battle.

Overall I just like the amount of content this game has. All weapons and armors and quests and all.

But it's not for everyone, I quess. The biggest flaw of the game might be it being a Final Fantasy, because it's doesn't really feel like one, so of course people get disappointed.