Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Lu Xun

Text Lu Xun's stories: The murder [temporary title]

Chapter II - Looking at the bigger picture

I guess I need to write about the past if I'm to try to understand last night's incident. I'm named Joseph Falenn, sixteen-years old. I have straight black hair, brown eyes and a nose bigger than I wanted it to be. My father's name is Mike, he is fourty-two years old. People say I'm the spitting image of him, but personally I don't think we look so much alike. Keila is my mother, a thirty-nine years old blonde lady. She is the most beautiful woman I've ever met, and also very intelligent. 

Our life had been peaceful until a month before that night. Father had just been fired and mom couldn't handle everything alone; she needed father to find a job as son as possible. So he went looking out for a new one. But it turned out that his previous boss had told every company in the city that my father had stolen his company, which he claimed to be the reason for which he fired my dad. 

As expected, father told me another version of the story. According to him, dad found out about how the company was acting illegally, and confronted his boss right away. When dad told him that he'd open his mouth and destroy the company, his boss fired him. And to prevent anyone from believing dad's story, he started to badmouth him, accusing him of stealing money from the company. If you ask me which version is true, I cannot say. 

I trust dad -- I really do -- but he's not the purest person in the world. I knew he was involved with people he should not be, but I was powerless. As a teenager, what could I do? Ask him to get away from them? I would probably get punched if I did that. And in the end, I didn't tell him anything. But I wish I had -- who knows, maybe he would change his mind and think about his family?

Mom, on the other side, was the best person you could ever find in this world. Honest, generous -- she always accepted father's mistakes and forgave him -- just like a mother spoiling a chid, right? I don't know why she did that; maybe because she loved him so much and she couldn't let him go. She worked in the police office, helping her boss gather information about bad guys and planning how to catch them off guard. I guess that's why dad never had to answer for anything he did -- maybe she just managed to hide everything that concerned him.

I guess that's all the background we need right now. So, as I should have mentioned earlier -- the guy who was murdered was my dad's ex-boss, Doctor Ryan. The crime was still a mystery -- no one knew who had killed him -- only that he was poisoned by something someone sent him during that day. A great crime -- I'd say. You poison someone without even having to confront them personally? Could only be the work of a brilliant mind. Although I suspected father, he wasn't the only one that disliked Ryan -- he had a lot of enemies. He was a very cruel and cold man -- I remember going into his office with dad, and he telling me not to touch anything and stay away from him. If he treated a child like that, I wonder how he treated people that depended on him to survive. 

So in the day after the murder, I woke up in a distant place from home --I was Rio de Janeiro, to be specific. Mother managed to find a job in the local police office and father started looking out for a job. I don't think father's reputation would be low here -- but it wasn't easy for him to find a job. Maybe this was because he had been working on that company since before I was born. I couldn't be silent forever; so I started questioning mom, after she came home from work during her 1st day. 

"Mom, I don't get it... Why are we living here?" I asked nervously, wondering what she would answer.

"My dear, it's a long story... We had to get out of our previous home... Don't you like it here?" she said, taking some time to choose words.

"Yes, it's a beautiful place. But you didn't answer me... Why did we HAVE to get out of there?" I asked one more question, hoping that this time she would not change the subject or come up with an answer that made no sense.

"We... um... had been living there for a long time... eh... It was time for a change." she replied.

Then I decided to stop asking her questions. But something intrigued me; how did we move to someplace so far away so easily? Was this all previously arranged? Questions like this popped out on my head every second. But it seemed like I would have to investigate everything by myself if I wanted to find any answers at all. Mom wouldn't answer anything -- to protect dad -- at least that's what I thought at first. Asking dad wouldn't be a good option either, as he still behaved stragenly even though we were very far away from the place he probably killed his boss. 

Without anything else to do, I turned on the TV. Coincidence or not, it was already in the police channel that showed me Ryan's murder yesterday. It was still talking about it; they were going to start investigating it. But it would take a while because one of the police's assistants had just quit and moved to Brazil -- my mom. But that wasn't all; they found another man dead at the entrance of the company. Different from Ryan, he had been violently attacked. They think that both murders are interconected -- and so did I. Father came home with his hands full of blood -- it couldn't have been a coincidence.

And so I decided to seek out the answers by myself. If I managed to prove that dad was the one responsible for all of this, I'd confront him personally. I couldn't stand living with doubts about my parent's acts. I just... needed answers.... and swore to do anything to get a hold of them.

Edited by Lu Xun

Wow I wonder whos the murderer.

Good so far Lu :)

Good job Lu Xun.

Hmm. Intriguing. A straight forward set of events on the surface, but how twisted will the undercurrents be? Pretty good, so far.

I like it. <3

Thanks, everyone :D

It's really nice to be writing once again, and even nicer to see that you guys liked it :)

Thanks, everyone :D

It's really nice to be writing once again, and even nicer to see that you guys liked it :)

It's good so far,I really want to know if the fathers the killer.