Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Exiblade7

The Legend of Zelda: My reaction on Zelda U's art style

When I first saw the zelda U trailer I kinda liked it. It looked somewhat realistic. It seems as though the characters in the game will be covered with cell shaded graphics. Every thing else around the character looks realistic in my opinion. It doesn't look like Twilight Princess nor does it look like the Wind Waker. It looks like a tie between Skyward Sword and the wind waker. 

I didn't mind the actual art style like some, just thought bright and glowy graphics don't mix for pleasurable viewing, being so bright and glowly made it uncomfortable to keep looking at, like a lightbulb or the sun.  Artistically  thought his hair looked like it was badly cut from the front (since all but two thick strands are tied back, but front wise just looks a dodgy haircut) but that won't hurt your eyes to look at.

I'm one of the few who prefers it over the tech demo they showed us before. It has a really cool Wind Waker vibe to it, and Wind Waker is easily my favorite Zelda game. I'll take it over a boring, dark art style like Twilight Princess any day.

I personally love the look of Zelda Wii U. There is also a reason that they went with the cel-shaded art style as opposed to the realistic art style. Wii U is actually a very powerful machine (It is slightly more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3), but realistic graphics can be extremely intensive to the system, as each texture has to be individually loaded every time it shows up. If you look at the giant world that is shown in the trailer, there is still A TON of detail. Each individual blade of grass has its own animation, and the "hand-painted" look makes it look like you are almost in a lifelike painting masterpiece. According to the E3 presentation, that entire world is explorable; all the way from the front area where Link and the monster are, to death mountain far off in the distance, to the castle in the valley, to the waterfall in the mountains, etc. By using a less hardware-intensive graphical style, it lets them create a much larger world. Think about Wind waker, the gamecube version STILL looks incredible, while many other games from the gamecube/ps2/xbox era look terrible and ridiculously outdated. Textures can be loaded once and reused much easier with a cel-shaded style, freeing up resources for more detail and content in the game. 

I think this could easily be the best zelda game yet. I can't wait.

I personally love the look of Zelda Wii U. There is also a reason that they went with the cel-shaded art style as opposed to the realistic art style. Wii U is actually a very powerful machine (It is slightly more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3), but realistic graphics can be extremely intensive to the system, as each texture has to be individually loaded every time it shows up. If you look at the giant world that is shown in the trailer, there is still A TON of detail. Each individual blade of grass has its own animation, and the "hand-painted" look makes it look like you are almost in a lifelike painting masterpiece. According to the E3 presentation, that entire world is explorable; all the way from the front area where Link and the monster are, to death mountain far off in the distance, to the castle in the valley, to the waterfall in the mountains, etc. By using a less hardware-intensive graphical style, it lets them create a much larger world. Think about Wind waker, the gamecube version STILL looks incredible, while many other games from the gamecube/ps2/xbox era look terrible and ridiculously outdated. Textures can be loaded once and reused much easier with a cel-shaded style, freeing up resources for more detail and content in the game. 

I think this could easily be the best zelda game yet. I can't wait.

I never knew that cell shaded graphics loads faster then realistic graphics. You made a good point on that. It looks like they might not use realistic graphics for a while now in the zelda series. That also means that I won't see my favorite art style for the zelda series for a while ether, but either way i'm excited for Zelda U when it comes out.

Edited by Zeldablade7

I don't think it's really possible for me to hate an art style used in a legend of zelda game. The art style should always match the tone of the game. Wind Waker would've been completely ridiculous if it looked as dark and gloomy and sepia-y as twilight princess. I think that while Nintendo may prefer cell shading (in case many of their recent releases such as mk8 wasn't enough of a hint of that already) they wouldn't use it unless it was the most fitting art style for the game.

I never knew that cell shaded graphics loads faster then realistic graphics. You made a good point on that. It looks like they might not use realistic graphics for a while now in the zelda series. That also means that I won't see my favorite art style for the zelda series for a while ether, but either way i'm excited for Zelda U when it comes out.

Don't get me wrong, I love the realistic graphics too, but they will honestly be able to make a bigger and more epic game by using cel-shaded graphics! Either way, i can't wait either.