Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
AuraAce

Scottish Skarmory's Reviews! Destiny Beta!

I may start doing these for games I play and possibly anime I watch, but to start off, a review on the Destiny Beta!

I will review these games based on four main criteria:

• Story
  • Music
  • Gameplay
  • Graphics

I will give each category a review score of /10 (Out of Ten) and an average overall score /10.

STORY!

As with most FPS games now-a-days, the story is lackluster, in fact, most FPS don't have a story because you're too busy getting through the campaign to get to the multiplayer (Or at least that's what I do on FPS games.) However, this actually has A story unlike other FPS titles like Call of Duty and Battlefield. The story is set Seven Hundred years into the future in a post-apocalyptic setting following a prosperous period of exploration, peace, and technological advancement known as the Golden Age. In a universe where humans have spread out and colonized planets in the Solar System, an event known as "The Collapse" saw the mysterious dissolution of these colonies, the end of the Golden Age, and mankind teetering on the brink of extinction. This is a kind of story that intrigues me, a fight for survival against an unknown foe called the "Darkness" which threatens to wipe out the human race.

For the story, I'll give it a 6.5/10. I said the story does intrigue me but It is still pretty mediocre. 

MUSIC!

The music is a very strong part of the game. Most FPS do not even have a good OST because most FPS are quantity over quality as apposed to quality over quantity. Destiny or rather the Beta has balanced both quality and quantity out. As Bungie are the ones who are making Destiny, the tracks on the OST are very Halo-Esque which I like because I found the Halo OST's to be very well done for a FPS. Destiny is much the same.

For the music, I'll give it an 8/10. Personally, the OST to Destiny is nostalgic as it reminds me of the mesmerizing tracks that were on some of the Halo OST's not to mention how good the music has actually been done.

GAMEPLAY!

Arguably one of the stronger aspects of the game, It isn't a generic FPS. It is much like Halo in that respect (In fact this game is like a better version of Halo). The gameplay combines FPS with sci-fi weaponry like Fusion Rifles which are essentially rifles that fire bursts of energy that can take down shields (I've found they are pretty Over Powered on Multiplayer too xD). There is also generic weapons like Sub-Machine guns and Sniper Rifles but the game has been hand crafted so that It has a Borderlands feel to it, all guns and armor have specific stats and possible abilities or traits and can be collected, not to the same capacity as Borderlands but still does have a feel of it. There is also a mechanic called "Super-Charged" What super-charged is, is basically a super move you obtain very early in the game/beta and is a bar that you can fill up by killing enemies, once this bar has filled up it allows you to use this ability, in my case, I was using the Hunter class which allowed the Super-Charge, the Golden Gun which was a revolver that had a 10 second time limit use and three bullets. Each bullet is a one hit kill on most AI enemies and is always a one hit kill on Player Enemies. Overall I enjoyed the gameplay, gave me a feel of Borderlands which is probably my favorite FPS franchise out there.

For the Gameplay, I'll give it a solid 9/10. Gameplay was fresh, had a feel of Borderlands and a feel of Exploration.

GRAPHICS!

This was in my opinion, the most strongest part of the Destiny Beta. I am unaware as off this very moment in time what graphics engine they used on this game but whatever it is, It is stunning, for a Beta that Is. I am looking forward to seeing what the full game looks like. Shadows were in perfect alignment with lighting, an added blur effect when struck with a grenade or some sort of explosive, gun animation looks very polished, no static movements at all from what I can tell, I could go on more with what the game made look good but this would take a long time.

For the Graphics, I'll give it a massive 10/10. The game was stunning considering it is only in the Beta stage, I am looking forward to the full game's graphics.

OVERALL CONCLUSION!

Destiny looks like a very promising game, the graphics are stunning and the gameplay is fluid. Customization is a part of Destiny which is also a very good feature as it feels like Borderlands which I have already stated to be my favorite FPS Franchise out there.

As an Overall Average score, I will give the Destiny Beta an 8.3/10.

Edited by Scottish Skarmory

Haven't you got a PC with Windows Live Movie Maker? o.o

Yeah but a text review with music is a bit bland, I want my own gameplay, own vocals, sure a bit of text but Windows Movie Maker isn't good enough for it.

Yeah but a text review with music is a bit bland, I want my own gameplay, own vocals, sure a bit of text but Windows Movie Maker isn't good enough for it.

Everyone starts from scratch, the bland videos help you growing xD You can use your incorporated mic for the vocals :D

Everyone starts from scratch, the bland videos help you growing xD You can use your incorporated mic for the vocals :D

I don't have an incorporated mic.

Even then, I still need things like Adobe Premiere for countdowns, Audacity, A good computer because mine is a heap of shit.

Dude, you don't really need all that stuff to make it work :D I can help you out with the programs if you want it (plus, Audacity is free xD )

I knew Audacity was free but even then, I struggle with these programs I struggled with WMM at first. Besides, a new computer is basically essential, cause I can't do anything on this piece of shit. 

I knew Audacity was free but even then, I struggle with these programs I struggled with WMM at first. Besides, a new computer is basically essential, cause I can't do anything on this piece of shit. 

Dude, I compose Orchestral Pieces on a piece of shit (no pun intended..or maybe yes? xD ). I know how it's like to struggle to learn by oneself how to use programs, that's why I'm telling you that it's doable and that I'm willing to help if you want to go for it xD

Dude, I compose Orchestral Pieces on a piece of shit (no pun intended..or maybe yes? xD ). I know how it's like to struggle to learn by oneself how to use programs, that's why I'm telling you that it's doable and that I'm willing to help if you want to go for it xD

I thank you for the offer but for now I think I want to master Movie Maker so I can make my new intro.

The beta did intrigue me when I played it and I liked your analysis of it. It does seem to have the typical MMO issues where the extra side missions lack variety and boil down to "KILL X amount of enemies for me" But apart from that it had a very nice atmosphere and nice gun play to boot as well. I don't know If I'm actually gonna purchase the game, but the beta did interest me more in it to say the least.

Of course it has a decent story, this is Bungie after all. That's I why I love them so much. They differ from the other big, triple-A companies in that they kind of give a reason to play the campaign. There's a story there. It may not be the best story, but it's leagues better than the "Some bad guy (Usually Russian) has a nuke go kill him" plot lines that Battlefield and Call of Duty keep throwing around.

I just wish I could've played the Beta. Sadly, my Xbox does not have the hard drive required, so I couldn't play at all.

I was thinking about reviewing it at some time, I also really enjoyed it. :D I agree with your review, though I thought the story was really good from what I played (Couldn't do all the missions because school).

That was a good review honestly, I actually played the alpha and the beta of destiny and i must say i will absolutely get this game due to the resemblance to halo (another game i love) I like so ill easily throe my money at it.