Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Grotesquery

Text The Diary of Alexander the Great

The Diary of Alexander the Great

Entry #1; July 9th, 98 AG

Dad got me this weird book yesterday for my 12th birthday. At first I thought he was joking when he gave it to me, because mom’s always the one who reads me stories, and dad knows I hate reading myself. He told me it wasn’t for reading, but writing stuff in.

I didn’t really get it. I probably wouldn’t have guessed it was for that if he hadn’t told me, because I don’t really like stuff that’s boring. And opening up a book full of blank pages is about as boring as it gets around here. I told mom to write the stuff for me or whatever I was supposed to do, but she just laughed at me and said I didn’t get the rules of the game.

Mom was wrong probably. If this was a game it would have pictures or pieces. But she kept saying that the point was for me to write in the book myself. That’s where I started thinking this was a joke again. Games are supposed to be fun.

Writing isn’t fun. At least I don’t think so. Everyone else kept giggling at me so I guess they were having fun but I just felt like the whole thing was stupid. Mom said that if I just start writing random stuff it would be easier. Well, she was right, but that doesn’t make this any less dumb.

Entry #2; July 14th, 98 AG

Sis caught me not writing and told mom! She’s so annoying sometimes. Looks like I have to actually do this anyway.

After dad found out he sat me down and got about as serious as he can get. He said that this was supposed to build character or something and that I would have to keep at it to see any results. He then gave me a whole bunch of rules that just make this thing more painful. To make things easier I’m just gonna write them all here so I don’t forget them and get dad on my case again.

1. Write more than 100 words every day

2. Mention something that happened to you that day

3. Make sure you label the date for every day

The journal already comes with dates premade and stuff so I don’t need to worry about the last one. It’s the other two that are going to be just really stupid. Right now I’m just hoping that after I use up the whole book writing that mom and dad are just going to give this all up.

Entry #3 July 15th, 98 AG

Nothing happened. Dad left for a while to go shop. Mom stayed home like always. Dad came home with a new book. Mom read it to me and the baby. Sis didn’t come because she said she was getting too old for that. She just wants to make me mad cause I’m older than her.

Still don’t know why I’m supposed to even be doing this. Maybe I’ll find out tomorrow.

Entry #4 July 16th, 98 AG

I didn’t find out today.

Mom had to leave for the first time in a while for business. Dad stayed home and worked the factory. Me and Sis had to take care of the baby, but dad helped a lot. The baby cried a lot because mom was gone. I’m starting to think she just shouldn’t leave. Mom didn’t come back when it got dark so sis was starting to worry. I got kind of scared too. Dad said she was fine and just working late. I hope he’s right.

Entry #5 July 17th, 98 AG

Mom’s still not home. Too bored to write. Dad’s busy so it’s not like he cares.

Entry #6 July 26th, 98 AG

Mom came home today! She was really tired when she got here but I was just happy to see her. I think Sis and the baby were even happier though, but ther girls so maybe it has something to do with that? Uncle was with mom when she came home, which was awesome! Everyone was really happy to see him too because we didn’t even know he was coming. Even dad was happy to see him!

Mom was acting really weird though. She asked me if I was studying while she was gone even though I told her it was summer. She looked really confused and then smiled saying that of course it was. She said she just lost track of the time.

I don’t care what happened. I’m just glad things are back to normal.

Entry #7 July 27th, 98 AG

Today was kinda weird. Not bad but just weird. Uncle was the only person me and my sisters saw most of the day. Mom and Dad were both gone since pretty much this morning. I saw them a little bit when I woke up but I don’t know if I was just sleepy or something. When me and Sis asked Uncle where they were he said that they were out spending time with each-other which was weird cause they usually didn’t do that stuff. Sis was kind of angry because she wanted to spend time with mom after her being gone so long but I guess she kind of got it. Most of today was just kind of boring.

Mom and Dad came home really late. Sis and the baby fell asleep waiting for them but I was still awake. Mom just hugged me and said thank you but said I really needed to go to sleep. I did, but after I got in bed mom and dad tucked me in, which they usually don’t do together. Mom read me my favorite story while dad was there helping with sound effects and everything. It was actually really funny, and I liked it a lot! After a while I closed my eyes and just started listening to the sounds. Mom and dad must have thought I was sleeping but they kept going anyways. After they were done they said goodnight and left. I opened my eyes before they went away, and I saw them hugging in the hallway light. Mom looked really sad for some reason.

Entry #8 July 28th, 98 AG

Uncle left today, said he had some stuff to take care of. I get it, Uncle doesn’t usually stay very long because he’s a LOT busier than mom or dad, but it was still sad to see him go.

I can say that today was probably a bad day. Well, maybe not bad but just annoying. Mom’s finally back to normal, but she wanted to spend the whole day in town for some reason. She also just wanted to take me and Sis with her and go shopping while Dad stayed home with the baby. Sis was really happy about this, but I didn’t get why I had to come. They spent most of the day just trying out clothes and giggling at each-other. I started to feel like I was just there to give them someone to laugh at. I didn’t feel very good about that.

Things got a lot better after a while though. There was a fair in town and mom took us to ride a lot of the rides, which was cool cause we usually don’t do that stuff. Sis beat me in the strength testing thing, which she bragged about all day. I didn’t care though, everyone knows she’s always been crazy strong.

The best part was when we got cotton candy, which I LIKE. A lot. Mom never gets it for us though, which I always thought was really unfair. But today was special, I guess. I don’t know why, maybe I have a secret birthday no one tells me about?

After that we went home, and dad was there with the baby. Things were pretty much the same after that, it’s just the day started off really weird. Sis looked like she had so much fun though. I guess that’s all that mattered today.

Entry #9 July 29th, 98 AG

Today was one of the best days ever.

Mom decided she wanted to go out again but she took me and the baby this time while dad stayed home with Sis. I guess I really shouldn’t call her baby anymore, she’s only like two years younger than Sis and she can talk and stuff. Think it’s just one of those habit things.

Mom said we were going on a picnic in the white forest, which the baby got really happy about, and so did I. We really liked the white forest, all kinds of forests! It was really cool in the winter when there was snow everywhere, even though mom said it was too dangerous to go out there alone. Me and the baby still did sometimes. Mom was always there to find us after all.

Mom made our favorite sandwiches, but they tasted even better when we were out in the forest, the baby even said so. After that we played tag, which I was really bad at. Mom and the baby are so fast it was totally unfair, so I was always it. But I didn’t mind, because I always liked chasing people. After that we all played jump-rope for a bit, which I was actually really good at. Not sure if I should be happy or not. Mom said we could use some firewood, so the baby and I made a game over who could get the most. I got the bigger sticks cause I could carry more, but she got a lot of smaller ones cause she was really fast in picking them up. After we were done mom brought us to town real quick to get us some ice-cream, which we ate while we went back to the forest. We ended up eating it all before we got back, which mom was kind of worked up about. She said we were supposed to eat them in front of the sunset, but she just laughed it off when she realized that she ate hers too without really knowing.

The sunset was awesome… no, that might not be enough to say how good it was. I usually don’t use girly words like beautiful or pretty or amazing, but I would use them to say what that sunset looked like.

Mom read me and the baby our favorite book while we both sat in her arms in front of the sunset.

I don’t care what happens tomorrow. This was one of the best days ever and nothing’s going to change that. I’m just glad I wrote it here so I can remember everything that happened.

Maybe that’s what this was all about after all.

*The next hundred or so pages are nigh illegible. Most are completely torn or flat out removed to the point where they aren’t even recognizable. A spare few words are still preserved in very rare places. Most of the time stamps have been destroyed, so it’s impossible to tell which entries occurred where, but a few words that can still be distinguished from the mess of destroyed paper are: “…left again…” “...guy with white hair sho…” “…ing to go to the forest agai…” “… baby still hasn’t wok…up…” “… gone.”*

*There is a single entry that has been perfectly preserved. It takes place roughly two months from the last entry, given the page gap between the two. The time stamp has been torn away, but its estimated date is reliable enough. This is the last entry written in the journal.*

Entry #?, est. October 14th, 00 AG

It hurts too much to write. I’m sick of this. I’m sick of everything.

I hate the baby. I hate Sis. I hate dad. I hate mom.

I hate everything.

*What little remains of the journal is blank.*