Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Exiblade7

Why I think Zelda U's art style is the way it is.

You know when the sun is in your face and the its bright all around you? It seems to be that way in zelda u. Also, Aonuma did say that he wants to make the next zelda game feel alive. I think he's basically saying that he'll make the game alive by using cell shader with hd. With them put together you get a familiar feeling. Yes, I'm trying to say that the cell-shader with hd almost looks like the world we live in today. The graphics of the wii u are working for zelda u so we can get the the ultimate experience for a 3d zelda game. Choosing a darker art style wouldn't really fit into the alive feeling that a cell shaded art style. 

Edited by Zeldablade7

I don't like it.  I don't mind the art style, art style's never been something to put me off a Zelda game since it's all about the gameplay, but the trailer was too bright it hurt to look at it.  Literally if they toned down the brightness I'd be fine, just nudge that saturation/contrast down a bit where it's not trying to blister your eyes.  It's like the opposite of TP where they sepia toned and lowered the saturation to make it look dark, and it just looked harder to see at times rather than gave a dark feeling to the game.  

EDIT:  On thinking though I don't think cell-shaded should be the go to art style for all future games, regardless of the console, because color blind people can't see the shading, so it's a really bland flat look for them, where a more detailed game they could actually make out the features on Link's face.  

Edited by Caity

I don't like it.  I don't mind the art style, art style's never been something to put me off a Zelda game since it's all about the gameplay, but the trailer was too bright it hurt to look at it.  Literally if they toned down the brightness I'd be fine, just nudge that saturation/contrast down a bit where it's not trying to blister your eyes.  It's like the opposite of TP where they sepia toned and lowered the saturation to make it look dark, and it just looked harder to see at times rather than gave a dark feeling to the game.   EDIT:  On thinking though I don't think cell-shaded should be the go to art style for all future games, regardless of the console, because color blind people can't see the shading, so it's a really bland flat look for them, where a more detailed game they could actually make out the features on Link's face.

the game is still in early development so it's possible they just wanted to show off the world.

They've been working on the game since the release of Skyward Sword.

yes but what they shown could of been done a while ago and like I said they wanted to show off the world. So don't make the assumption that this is how the game will look in the end. Just wait and who knows maybe they'll have a option to make it less bright if it is to much of a problem for you. Edited by Ratchet

the game is still in early development so it's possible they just wanted to show off the world.

But Link's face, where his detail for his nose and mouth comes from cell shading, would literally be a blank empty canvas with two eyes plastered on, I just think it's unfair that because of a defect there's people who won't get the full immersion or experience from a game.  It's unfair, and I'm fine with cell-shaded games I just don't think it should be the go to art style for all Zelda games so that colorblind people don't have to skip all future games or play thinking what a lovely blob the characters are with their flat faces

But Link's face, where his detail for his nose and mouth comes from cell shading, would literally be a blank empty canvas with two eyes plastered on, I just think it's unfair that because of a defect there's people who won't get the full immersion or experience from a game.  It's unfair, and I'm fine with cell-shaded games I just don't think it should be the go to art style for all Zelda games so that colorblind people don't have to skip all future games or play thinking what a lovely blob the characters are with their flat faces

I agree I wish Zelda got the same treatment as Mario Kart. it was so cartoony and then when it got moved to the Wii U a lot of the textures made it more realistic. So who knows?

I agree because I don't really like seeing flat faces in zelda games. It just tells me that they didn't work on facial expressions well enough so it looks really defaulty. 

Edited by Zeldablade7