Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
darkerturbo

Why I think CoM gets too much hate

When I kept on dying on bosses in that game I learned from my mistakes and learned how to play the game better, When I beat the game and played the game all over again it wasn't that hard as when I played it for the first time. I don't like the game, but I know I have to appreciate what the game thought to the series. At least it was a break from the button mashing from kh1 and 2. 

Edited by Zeldablade7

Okay, might get a lot of crap for this, buut...

I honestly think people hate CoM because they're too lazy to strategize and make a proper deck. I love the game, and it's arguably the most strategic in the series. Considering the most popular games in the series (II and BBS) were basically simple button mashers, I think that it's just the fact that people didn't want to change and have to think about every single aspect of their decks. It's really not that tough if you put in effort.

This is exactly what i think too. But, i think another reason is because they have to cycle through the decks and that can make it hard to fight back when you're trying to find a card to break the enemies card and actually land a hit on them. It's just a complete change from the normal battle system, and people don't necessarily like it because of that.

When I kept on dying on bosses in that game I learned from my mistakes and learned how to play the game better, When I beat the game and played the game all over again it wasn't that hard as when I played it for the first time. I don't like the game, but I know I have to appreciate what the game thought to the series. At least tt was a break from the button mashing from kh1 and 2. 

At least KHI still had some strategy to its gameplay. KHII was basically mash X and triangle to win. :/

I totally understand the strategy aspect of COM, I've made quite a few powerful decks, but I still hate it with a burning passion. I do prefer all other gameplay from the KH series over COM not because it was easy, but because it was fast and fluid. Getting interrupted in COM often left me scrambling to continue my combo/sleight in another, more complex way. Which often left me open to get utterly destroyed. It's not fluid to me, it feels like I keep hitting walls. I know how to play the game the strategic way, but I still hate it.

At least KHI still had some strategy to its gameplay. KHII was basically mash X and triangle to win. :/

true and you button mash more in kh2. and plus in kh2 you buttonmash so much that you don't need to use any magic besides the Cure command. In kh1 you had to use a magic command depending on what enemy you're fighting. The best example is the secret boss in Netherland in kingdom hearts 1. 

KH2 does have moves involving square that adds a little more to an just mashing X and Triangle. You can make an incredibly long combo and feel like a total badass, but this unfortunately goes unnoticed and most jst do mash X and Triangle.

true and you button mash more in kh2. and plus in kh2 you buttonmash so much that you don't need to use any magic besides the Cure command. In kh1 you had to use a magic command depending on what enemy you're fighting. The best example is the secret boss in Netherland in kingdom hearts 1. 

Yeah, I hated that KHII pretty much made magic useless. I use magic a lot in KHI, so it sucks that it was changed for II.

KH2 does have moves involving square that adds a little more to an just mashing X and Triangle. You can make an incredibly long combo and feel like a total badass, but this unfortunately goes unnoticed and most jst do mash X and Triangle.

I don't recall any moves that can use square. Either way, I still didn't feel any need to dodge or use any magic in II.

Okay, might get a lot of crap for this, buut... I honestly think people hate CoM because they're too lazy to strategize and make a proper deck. I love the game, and it's arguably the most strategic in the series. Considering the most popular games in the series (II and BBS) were basically simple button mashers, I think that it's just the fact that people didn't want to change and have to think about every single aspect of their decks. It's really not that tough if you put in effort.

Actually I was not lazy to make an proper strategy deck, it's just I'm not into strategy games and stuff.

I don't recall any moves that can use square. Either way, I still didn't feel any need to dodge or use any magic in II.

There were in fact a couple moves you could equip that used square, most of which were activated when you used square during a basic combo, especially in the pride lands. None of them were on Sora by default though

There were in fact a couple moves you could equip that used square, most of which were activated when you used square during a basic combo, especially in the pride lands. None of them were on Sora by default though

I've played the game three or four times and don't seem to remember those... Huh. Either way, I still don't feel like it was all that strategic. I love the game, but it felt really basic to me.

I've played the game three or four times and don't seem to remember those... Huh. Either way, I still don't feel like it was all that strategic. I love the game, but it felt really basic to me.

I do have to agree about that. I only felt like the game could be considered strategic if you limited yourself in some way, be it keeping yourself underlevelled, or not giving yourself access to certain abilities

Edited by darkerturbo

People complain because of change. "It's a new battle system. Let's hate on it!"

It's the same with Final Fantasy. Many people disliked the "linearity" and other things in FF XIII because it was different from the previous games.

To me, as long as I have fun, it's a good game. Come on, enjoy what you have.

I'm more into hack and slash gameplay myself, but COM is still my favorite game out of the series for the sole reason that its different from the rest and I actually had a ton of fun rearranging cards and creating strategies to fight the enemies. Was it perfect? No. But I enjoyed it regardless.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

I always assumed people hated CoM simply 'cause they just don't like the card decks, it's not their thing, and not what they wanted from a KH game.  I haven't played it, started it but really wanted to get my KH1FM plat instead so just went onto my second run of that (and now I'm in HB, just before the second phase of Malicifent on my final run).  I enjoy the card system in KH Chi though, but haven't got into CoM (obviously) enough to really decide if I hate or like it, I just know at the end of it BBS will still be my favourite.  

People complain because of change. "It's a new battle system. Let's hate on it!"

It's the same with Final Fantasy. Many people disliked the "linearity" and other things in FF XIII because it was different from the previous games.

To me, as long as I have fun, it's a good game. Come on, enjoy what you have.

I actually dislike FF XIII because of the ridiculously high amounts of health bosses had, and even regular enemies when I'm Vanille and Sazh instead of Lightning and whoever was in her team.  Also that and you basically need a guide to effectively level up weapons.  It's enjoyable and I wouldn't say I hate it, but Jesus, hate playing as Sazh and Vanille.  

I've honestly played KHI at times, been looking the other way, talking to someone, and just mashing X with no real risk at all.  With both games seems the real challenge comes from making sure you go into a place with the right level for it to be a challenge.  

The problem of COM is not the card system itself in my opinion,I actually enjoyed most boss fights,preparing deck for bosses was enjoyable,BUT the problem is everything else except the story(The story was pretty good as well).

Its really boring to revisit the exact same worlds we had in KHI,why not mix old world with new world like BBS or KH2(I know its part of the story,but that doesn't make it more enjoyable),at least Castle Oblivion and Twilight Town were new,but all the worlds are flat and uninteresting to go though anyway,after the second world,exploring worlds gets really boring and it feels repetitive and it doesn't help that most cutscenes in the Disney worlds doesn't have voice acting and the plot that happen in those worlds are not interesting at all.

Killing enemies takes way too much time compare to the other KH games and entering battles a la Final Fantasy doesn't help.Its really annoying that you have to deal with the card system for the normal enemies,it makes fighting even slower and normal enemies doesn't even require strategies to beat them,so its just not fun and managing the cards during battle is a pain,it doesn't feel as natural as the menus of KH1,2,BSS or even the ones of Crisis Core or Xenoblade Chronicles.

ReCOM is not the worst game ever,but the story and the worlds lacks the charm of KH1,2 and BBS and the battle system is slower and annoying to deal with against regular enemies.

The only thing I can say I ever "hated" about the game was the sudden difficulty spike once you reach Destiny Islands. Riku IV was so difficult that I put down CoM for about one year until one of my brother's friends tried playing it and I had to do it for him. After finding a way to beat Riku, I actually felt motivated to continue the game, and I finished it. Re:CoM felt a little easier as I already knew what to do and the gameplay was refined somewhat. That spike was still there, but I had a better idea about how to handle things...after still dying a million times first.

I myself tend to fall for building my decks in the way you described. But it's not some kind of "n00b mistake" or some cursed style of playing that makes the game harder for gamers. For me, it helps categorize my cards and moves, so I know where everything is. I could randomly decide to change my deck for a boss battle so that I can just stock three cards in one go to get easy access to a sleight I might need, but because I'm unfamiliar with the new card placement I'll have a harder time. For me it's better to just know where my cards are all the time rather than have them set up as "sleight holders". But I still go through my deck knowing which sleight I want, how to make it, and how to do it quickly. And my deck doesn't stay the same way all the time. Often times I find that I need to recustomize my deck for particular boss battles just to have an effective time, and as my CP increases I add to the deck I already have, replacing some cards with superior ones to save space and points, and including whatever might be needed. I don't super specialize my deck like you do, and I rarely ever use any premium cards or bonuses, but my style of playing doesn't hinder me because I've become familiar with how to organize myself and work with it. Those other players' problems aren't that they use and stick to one style of playing the game, it's that they do it almost carelessly and recklessly. They haven't taken the time to learn how to move through their deck and become familiar with their sleights, they just stock any three cards they have and hope for the best, like you said. A style of playing hasn't hindered them, a style of thinking has.

There definitely is a lot more strategy involved with CoM/Re:CoM, and some people just don't transition that well. But in all fairness, the system isn't that hard to figure out, not once you've used it a few times. And the occasional reminder never hurts. But the main point I have is that there isn't necessarily a "best" way to play (Re:)CoM, there's just knowing how to best use your own way of playing it. You could do half of the things that those other guys do, but if you do them in a way that actually works, you can play with the best of them. Well, ok, not THE best of them, but you'll still play pretty well.

On a side note, I don't know if it's possible to gain enough CP so that you have enough cards to perform every sleight in the game, but if it is, that would be an awesome goal to strive for.