Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
IwasBornAsVentus

How did Square lose the rights to Tarzan

I know that Tarzan's world didn't re appear in COM but I just want to know how come they lost rights to the property. When you start KH1 it clearly says the property Tarzan was used by permission but then later it just disappeared from the franchise. This is really weird cause Disney does own the rights to Tarzan First they made a direct to video sequel and then a midquel three years later after the copyright issue. when I asked one of the producers of a game Disney Infinity if they could add Tarzan characters to the game he said that it wouldn't be any problem and then I saw that a Tantor character and Tarzan's tree house in the game which means Disney does own the rights to the franchise. Maybe they can add it in another KH game but they haven't thought of it because it's been so long since it was featured.

Lol Tarzan was a shared property between Disney and Edgar Rice,Disney couldn't secure the rights to Tarzan and so they lost it to Edgar Rice

Square has nothing to with Tarzan and the reason they couldn't include Deep Jungle in Chain of Memories and Re:Coded is because Disney lost all rights for Tarzan to Edgar Rice

It's way more complicated than they way I am about to explain it, but here is the basic gist of it:Just like Sora96 said, Edgar Rice owns the rights to the original Tarzan, no one else. Disney did secure animated film rights from them for Tarzan back in the 90's, and Disney is allowed to do whatever they want with DISNEY'S VERSION OF TARZAN ONLY. This is why Disney could potentially add their Tarzan characters to Disney Infinity, any merchandise, and they actually added the main character in a recent Disney World show. The reason you don't see them a lot is just because the film isn't one of their most popular.Even though Disney owns the Kingdom Hearts series, it is made by the Square Enix company. Since they are a separate company from Disney, Square has to go out and get video game licenses for specific properties from their respective owners (such as Tarzan, Peter Pan, etc.). Technically Square ALSO has to get Disney's permission to use their version of the characters, but this is never an issue since Disney is there for the world selection process with Nomura (Did you know Square actually had to get Tim Burton's permission to use The Nightmare Before Christmas, since he is the partial owner?).To my knowledge it has never been revealed why Square did not renew the license for Tarzan. Maybe Square pissed them off with the 1st one? Maybe Edgar Rice was asking for too much money? Who knows. Square could theoretically try to get the license back, but at this point it would seem like a waste of time.I know it's long but I hope this answered your question!

It's way more complicated than they way I am about to explain it, but here is the basic gist of it:Just like Sora96 said, Edgar Rice owns the rights to the original Tarzan, no one else. Disney did secure animated film rights from them for Tarzan back in the 90's, and Disney is allowed to do whatever they want with DISNEY'S VERSION OF TARZAN ONLY. This is why Disney could potentially add their Tarzan characters to Disney Infinity, any merchandise, and they actually added the main character in a recent Disney World show. The reason you don't see them a lot is just because the film isn't one of their most popular.Even though Disney owns the Kingdom Hearts series, it is made by the Square Enix company. Since they are a separate company from Disney, Square has to go out and get video game licenses for specific properties from their respective owners (such as Tarzan, Peter Pan, etc.). Technically Square ALSO has to get Disney's permission to use their version of the characters, but this is never an issue since Disney is there for the world selection process with Nomura (Did you know Square actually had to get Tim Burton's permission to use The Nightmare Before Christmas, since he is the partial owner?).To my knowledge it has never been revealed why Square did not renew the license for Tarzan. Maybe Square pissed them off with the 1st one? Maybe Edgar Rice was asking for too much money? Who knows. Square could theoretically try to get the license back, but at this point it would seem like a waste of time.I know it's long but I hope this answered your question!

Yes this really answered my question perfect thank you ;)   

It's way more complicated than they way I am about to explain it, but here is the basic gist of it:

Just like Sora96 said, Edgar Rice owns the rights to the original Tarzan, no one else. Disney did secure animated film rights from them for Tarzan back in the 90's, and Disney is allowed to do whatever they want with DISNEY'S VERSION OF TARZAN ONLY. This is why Disney could potentially add their Tarzan characters to Disney Infinity, any merchandise, and they actually added the main character in a recent Disney World show. The reason you don't see them a lot is just because the film isn't one of their most popular.

Even though Disney owns the Kingdom Hearts series, it is made by the Square Enix company. Since they are a separate company from Disney, Square has to go out and get video game licenses for specific properties from their respective owners (such as Tarzan, Peter Pan, etc.). Technically Square ALSO has to get Disney's permission to use their version of the characters, but this is never an issue since Disney is there for the world selection process with Nomura (Did you know Square actually had to get Tim Burton's permission to use The Nightmare Before Christmas, since he is the partial owner?).

To my knowledge it has never been revealed why Square did not renew the license for Tarzan. Maybe Square pissed them off with the 1st one? Maybe Edgar Rice was asking for too much money? Who knows. Square could theoretically try to get the license back, but at this point it would seem like a waste of time.

I know it's long but I hope this answered your question!

Basically this xD

And Edgar was being a douche too