Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sora96

Final Fantasy XIII series - Discussion Topic - Final Fantasy XIII trilogy is hugely successful for Square Enix

People will always say bad things about Motomu Toriyama games, but the truth is they're always widely successful and sell more copies than even Square Enix expected.

Ah, I see.  Honestly though, I don't see why the XIII series get so much hate.  I think the characters are intriguing, and the stories enticing!  Plus, the graphics, voice acting and music are majestic! :3

Ah, I see.  Honestly though, I don't see why the XIII series get so much hate.  I think the characters are intriguing, and the stories enticing!  Plus, the graphics, voice acting and music are majestic! :3

It's just a matter of the the people who hate them being so vocal about it.

...my main gripe with XIII is that it rides VII's metaphorical Johnson too hard. Having the main character be a gender bent version of cloud, on a train with a black guy who uses guns who you later find out has a child he wants to protect. Having the first boss be a scorpion tank. Making the villain of the story mad because daddy isn't home so he has to drop a meteor like object upon the world, not to mention that cocoon itself is just a a cleaner version of midgar. It just lacked imagination on all fronts, borrowing way too much from VII instead of doing its own thing, even xiii-2 took a lot of stuff from chrono trigger instead of doing its own thing, yeul= schala. But in all honesty, the game just wasn't deserving of the FF title, what I wouldn't give for xiii's combat with Xii's open world

...my main gripe with XIII is that it rides VII's metaphorical Johnson too hard. Having the main character be a gender bent version of cloud, on a train with a black guy who uses guns who you later find out has a child he wants to protect. Having the first boss be a scorpion tank. Making the villain of the story mad because daddy isn't home so he has to drop a meteor like object upon the world, not to mention that cocoon itself is just a a cleaner version of midgar. It just lacked imagination on all fronts, borrowing way too much from VII instead of doing its own thing, even xiii-2 took a lot of stuff from chrono trigger instead of doing its own thing, yeul= schala. But in all honesty, the game just wasn't deserving of the FF title, what I wouldn't give for xiii's combat with Xii's open world

Well it was made by a lot of the same people.

They made FFX with very little from him.

X was good, but that just shows their limit. Only being able to make one good game out of the gate without assistance or using old ideas, but then relying on sequels to main title games because they couldn't do anything else. X and xiii are the only FF titles to have numbered sequels because of lack of creativity/corporate greed. I will be the first to admit that video games are becoming harder to make since the old FFs, but that doesn't excuse picking up darts and throwing them at a dart board made up of old square resources in terms of set pieces, tropes and character arcs. Look at all of the games sakaguchi has made since his departure, blue dragon, last story and probably his magnum opus in terms of story telling, in my opinion, lost odyssey. Sakaguchi is what made FF great. hopefully Kojima can bring back some of that magic that current game developers lack, new ideas and the actual desire to make games gamers want to play. Edited by outbackjim21

Final Fantasy XIII is standing strong as the 4th highest selling game in the Final Fantasy series. In addition to selling 6.6 million copies worldwide on PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360 as of January 2013, it has sold nearly 450,000 copies on Windows PC according to SteamSpy. This also places it as the third highest selling Final Fantasy game on Steam despite only being available for just under a year and less than 50,000 copies behind Final Fantasy VIII.

And of course, the game is also available on iOS & Android in Japan in addition to the PS3 version being available on PlayStation Now, however we do not have any numbers for these.

The sequel, Final Fantasy XIII-2 also continues to perform well. After shipping 3.1 million copies worldwide for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360 as of January 2013 it has sold nearly 250,000 copies on Windows PC according to SteamSpy. This places it as the 5th highest selling Final Fantasy game on Steam despite only being available for nine months.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is also available digitally for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360 with the PS3 version also available on PlayStation Now. Additionally, it is also available on iOS & Android in Japan via Square Enix's Dive In streaming service. Unfortunately, we do not have any numbers for these releases.

However, despite no sales information for the digital console versions or streaming versions we can place Final Fantasy XIII well over 7 million copies sold and its first sequel close to 3.5 million copies at least.

Final Fantasy XIII is standing strong as the 4th highest selling game in the Final Fantasy series. In addition to selling 6.6 million copies worldwide on PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360 as of January 2013, it has sold nearly 450,000 copies on Windows PC according to SteamSpy. This also places it as the third highest selling Final Fantasy game on Steam despite only being available for just under a year and less than 50,000 copies behind Final Fantasy VIII.

And of course, the game is also available on iOS & Android in Japan in addition to the PS3 version being available on PlayStation Now, however we do not have any numbers for these.

The sequel, Final Fantasy XIII-2 also continues to perform well. After shipping 3.1 million copies worldwide for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360 as of January 2013 it has sold nearly 250,000 copies on Windows PC according to SteamSpy. This places it as the 5th highest selling Final Fantasy game on Steam despite only being available for nine months.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is also available digitally for PlayStation 3 & Xbox 360 with the PS3 version also available on PlayStation Now. Additionally, it is also available on iOS & Android in Japan via Square Enix's Dive In streaming service. Unfortunately, we do not have any numbers for these releases.

However, despite no sales information for the digital console versions or streaming versions we can place Final Fantasy XIII well over 7 million copies sold and its first sequel close to 3.5 million copies at least.

Never understood why it got so much hate, but thankfully that didn't hurt sales so... Yay!!!

Are you sure SteamSpy is accurate?

Never understood why it got so much hate, but thankfully that didn't hurt sales so... Yay!!!

Are you sure SteamSpy is accurate?

Because people didn't like how linear it was for the first half of the game.

Yes, SteamSpy appears to be accurate. All numbers make perfect sense, especially when compared with Square Enix sales information.

All 3 titles in the Final Fantasy XIII series are now available on PlayStation Now making the amount of platforms they're playable on quite a large number.

Final Fantasy XIII

PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows PC, iOS, Android, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation TV & other PS Now platforms

Final Fantasy XIII-2

PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation TV & other PS Now platforms

Coming soon to: iOS & Android

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation Vita, PlayStation TV & other PS Now platforms

Coming soon to: Windows PC, iOS & Android

Great! Now I can play Hallways: The Game, Hallways 2 (Now with less hallways!) and Hallways 3: Fashionista Extravaganza on my PS4 that I don't own!

Actually Lightning Returns had very little hallways in actuality.

Lightning Returns wasn't linear in the slightest.

Actually Lightning Returns had very little hallways in actuality.

The first game was, though. Gotta keep up that brand recognition. It wouldn't make sense to name the first game Hallways and the other ones 'Not so Hallways'. 

The first game was, though. Gotta keep up that brand recognition. It wouldn't make sense to name the first game Hallways and the other ones 'Not so Hallways'. 

For the first half then it opened up.

And yet not available on Wii U.....

Because Square Enix is not supporting the Wii U outside of Virtual Console and DQX.