Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
clatter411

*Spoilers?* Any one else dissappointed with the secret movies?

This might just be me but I thought I would ask anyway. What's the deal with the secret endings in Kingdom Hearts games lately? In Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 they were very mysterious and enigmatic and left a lot to interpretation. Also the high quality of the scenes added to its awesomeness. Now I can understand the underwhelming secret movies with games such as BBS, Re:Coded, and KH3D as those are handheld titles and thus probably do not have the space or power to have a large scene like that. So, despite my dissapointment with the secret endings in those games, I excepted it as a limitation of the system and settled for the more straight forward and basically spelled out secret movies.

Now we have KH 1.5 and soon 2.5 and the secret movies in both of them have been rather underwhelming as well. While they do add more information, I don't feel like they do a good job with promoting excitement and anticipation. They just add one or two extra plot points. But since both of these ganes are on the PS3 I expected something much better. Something higher quality and more grandiose like the main 2 titles had originally.

So, what do you guys think? Am I the only one who feels this way? Also, is there any other reason despite time contraints that they wouldn't go for something a little more inspiring?

Edited by clatter411

I'm actually with you. If those movies weren't "secret" I could've mistaken them for any other normal cutscene in the game. It sucks even more with the Re:coded one since you pretty much need to know something about Chi, which anyone who isn't Japanese can't be expected to.

I'm actually with you. If those movies weren't "secret" I could've mistaken them for any other normal cutscene in the game. It sucks even more with the Re:coded one since you pretty much need to know something about Chi, which anyone who isn't Japanese can't be expected to.

Hence why making chi canon is so far the stupidest decision Nomura has made regarding the series

Hence why making chi canon is so far the stupidest decision Nomura has made regarding the series

I don't mind if Chi's canon. It looks fun and I've been meaning to play it myself one day. The only thing that bugs me is that it hasn't been localized and if it stays that way, non-Japanese speakers would be lost.

I don't mind if Chi's canon. It looks fun and I've been meaning to play it myself one day. The only thing that bugs me is that it hasn't been localized and if it stays that way, non-Japanese speakers would be lost.

That's exactly why this decision is stupid

Why make a game that so far won't get localized and have it contain crucial details to your upcoming main release  CANON!Sure you and I and other fans won't get lost that much but a newcomer(which will be the case with the Xbox One version) will have nooooooooo idea WTF is going on and what is that damn tome of prophecy that they never brought up until now?

Heh, I mean I guess the concept of Chi does not bother me (other than the originality of a keyblade being now non existant even more), but I feel it would have been better as a spin off title set apart from the main storyline. That way it allows for more options for the games backstory while also allowing international audiences to be spared from any impending story confusion. But then again that's just me. Hell I looked at the Tome of Prophecy thing and did not understand what the hell was going on and I consider myself almost completely informed of everything KH.

Why make a game that so far won't get localized and have it contain crucial details to your upcoming main release  CANON!Sure you and I and other fans won't get lost that much but a newcomer(which will be the case with the Xbox One version) will have nooooooooo idea WTF is going on and what is that damn tome of prophecy that they never brought up until now?

I'm just sorta hoping it'll get localized one day and, I dunno, be cross-platform or something. KH3 won't be coming out anytime soon so they have plenty of time between now and then to figure something out. I'll reserve my complaints for if or when that happens, but until then I'm staying optimistic.

I don't think it really matters that much. The secret endings were only needed when we didn't know what was next. Well now we know, it's Kingdom Hearts III. It would have been nice if there was a full on secret ending in full HD graphics, but that would mean that Nomura would have to have the story more or less figured out, but he's still working on it. And also, 1.5 and 2.5 already have three games in them, some of them already having pre-rendered secret endings. There might not have been enough room to make an entirely new secret ending. And by this point, I kind of like how in the dark we are about III. If they gave us something now, I'd already know what to expect and the wait would be killing me. I'm fine with the things they're teasing now, it teases more developments for the series that don't necessarily need a epic tease fest. I mean, would making a HD secret teaser for DDD and X in 2.5 really make any sense, considering how we already know about them? The way they are doing things now is fine and making a full blown trailer would have taken up too much space and time that could be spent on making other titles including any possible HD remakes and Kingdom Hearts III.

Oh yeah, I remember when Nomura said that they never had any plans to bring the Final Mixes over to English speaking countries and he said they were canon, and we never ever got them. Wait, what? Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5 ReMIXes? Never heard of them.  xP

I wish I could have that same mentality as you Hero of Light XIV but I just need something to hold me over until more information about KH3 appears. I mean sure its early in development but I was hoping something a little more substantial about the game would be in 2.5's secret movie. I mean I was dissapointed with the trailer we got at E3 so the wait is beginning to take a negative toll on my me. =c

I think the scenes we have got are fine. The difference between this and the secret movies for KH1 and 2 is that those games were hinting towards unannounced projects, while this is hinting towards a game we already know about. People would be mad if they kept the element of surprise and hinted at a non-KH3 game.

It's not about hunting at a different title that's not KH3, it's more about how the scenes allow you as the player to get hyped up for the game and also give you something sort of confusing as a way of making you feel that the game is above and beyond anything you could have predicted.

Knowing master xehanorts keyblade is special, or the tome of prophecy is what maleficents looking for only adds plot points. It doesn't tease KH3 in a way that excites you. Plus, since both of the secrets alluded to something only found in chi, it makes it even less compelling as we over here don't really have a means to understand the connection.

Well, to me they are just poor excuses and tries to justify the recent changes in the KH series. Like making Xehanort the main character and neglecting the former main characters (Sora, Kairi)

Well, to me they are just poor excuses and tries to justify the recent changes in the KH series. Like making Xehanort the main character and neglecting the former main characters (Sora, Kairi)

Sora and Kairi are still the main hero and heroine, respectively, but you're right about them getting ignored. The character development for them has been kinda ignored to focus on Aqua, Riku, Lea, etc. 

I wish I could have that same mentality as you Hero of Light XIV but I just need something to hold me over until more information about KH3 appears. I mean sure its early in development but I was hoping something a little more substantial about the game would be in 2.5's secret movie. I mean I was dissapointed with the trailer we got at E3 so the wait is beginning to take a negative toll on my me. =c

Well there is still plenty to hold you over. There's the more solid possibility of 3D getting an HD treatment of some sort, 1.5 and 2.5 still have a lot of trophies to master, and then of course there's always other game franchises to play. But yeah, I understand what you mean. It can be hard to be a Kingdom Hearts fan at times, mostly due to how Square Enix takes more priority towards Japanese consumers and fans.

So you're saying that it's not important to focus a little more on our main villain, because at this point I'd really like to understand him a bit better.

Maybe they just didn't want to spoil too much for 3D since they want people to play it and/or if there was an HD version of it being planned. The movies gave us some indication about what could be in KH3 without spoiling anything in 3D. 

To be honest I feel that I know enough about Sora for now, since we've lived through most of the games with him except Days and BBS and that was only because he was asleep in one and really young in the other. And the only other stuff they could've gone into that I could think of is stuff after KH3D, which again they probably didn't want to spoil. I agree though that some other characters are taking the spotlight for now, but there are lots of characters to explain. And Sora's always going on about how his friends are his power. 

Same with Kairi, it's a shame they didn't develop her before KH3 but she should have her time to shine in three.

But Xehanort is a main character and deserves to get developed too (and it isn't really a new thing since he's been in most of the KH games in some form or another). I don't feel like he's had too much attention. We need to have a reason to fight this guy other than "he's the bad guy". And yeah obviously Sora's the main character so he should get most development, but he's also supposed to be like us.