Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Aang

How Assertive Are You? Legitimate Personality Test

Hello all, 

Aang here with a legitimate personality test that I feel may be interesting among you guys. My sister is learning to become a  psychologist, and she provided me with a book containing a series of tests. I myself did not create this test, and am using straight out of the book. I will be posting a series of personality tests in the future. This is the first one. 

Enjoy,

How Assertive Are You?

INSTRUCTIONS: Indicate how uncharacteristic or descriptive each of the following statements is of you by using the code given below:

+3 very characteristic of me, extremely descriptive

+2 rather characteristic of me, quite descriptive

+1 somewhat characteristic of me, slightly descriptive of me

-1 somewhat uncharacteristic of me, slightly non-descriptive

-2 rather uncharacteristic of me, quite non-descriptive

-3 very uncharacteristic of me, extremely non-descriptive

Questions ( 1-30 )

​1. Most people seem to be more aggressive and assertive than I am.

2. I have hesitated to make or accept dates because of shyness.

3. When the food served at a restaurant is not done to my satisfaction, I complain about it to the waiter.

4. I am careful to avoid hurting other people's feelings, even when I feel I have been injured.

5. When I am asked to do something, I insist upon knowing why.

6. There are times when I look for a good, vigorous argument.

7. I strive to get ahead as well as most people in my position.

8. To be honest, people often take advantage of me. 

9. I enjoy starting conversations with new acquaintances and strangers.

10. I often don't know what to say to attractive people of the opposite sex.

11. I hesitate to make phone calls to businesses and institutions.

12. I would rather apply for a job or for admission to a college by writing letters than a personal meet.

13. I find it embarrassing to return merchandise.

14. If a close and respected relative were annoying me, I would hide my feelings rather than express them.

15. I have avoided asking questions for fear of sounding stupid.

16. During an argument I am sometimes afraid that I will get so upset that I will shake all over.

17. If a famed and respected lecturer makes a statement that I think is incorrect, I will have the audience hear my point of view as well.

18. I avoid arguing over prices with clerks and salesmen.

19. When I have done something important or worth-while, I let others know about it.

20. I am open and frank about my feeling.

21. If someone has been spreading false and bad stories about me, I see that person as soon as possible to talk about it.

22. I often have a hard time saying now.

23. I tend to bottle up my emotions rather than make a scene.

24. I complain about poor service in a restaurant or elsewhere.

25. When I am given a compliment, I sometimes just don't what to say. 

26. If a couple near me in a theater or at a lecture were conversing rather loudly, I would ask them to be quiet or take their conversation elsewhere.

27. Anyone attempting to push ahead of me in a line is in for a good battle.

28. I am quick to express an opinion.

29. There are times when I just can't say anything.

30. If a salesman has to considerable trouble to show me merchandise that is not quite suitable, I have a difficult time saying no.

SCORING KEY FOR THE RATHUS ASSERTIVENESS SCHEDULE

INSTRUCTIONS: The first step to score this scale is to change the sign for the items that are reverse scored. For the items below, if you used a negative number, change the sign from a minus to a plus. If you used a positive number for these items, change the sign from a plus to a minus.

1-2-4-5-9-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-19-23-24-26-30

After you have changed the signs for the items above, find your total score. If your math is a little rusty, you this by adding together all the numbers with the same sign. You will end up with one positive and one negative number. Subtract the smaller number from the larger one and use the sign that was with the larger number.

HOW DO YOU COMPARE?

Score                           Percentile

-29                                        15

-15                                        30

0                                          50

+15                                        70

+29                                        85

If you received a score that was lower than the 15th percentile, you probably could benefit from becoming more assertive. The difficulty you have in speaking your mind is probably causing you to feel lonely, isolated, and exploited. But, on the other hand, I'm not so sure it should be your goal to have as high a score as possible. Contrary ti what many other mental health professionals may tell you, A medium level assertive people is perfectly fine. Extremely assertive individuals tend to be hard-driving, ambitious people who can also be self-centered, they tend to believe that their own feelings are more important than anyone else.

Alright, if you enjoyed this test be sure to like the thread, and let me know if you guys want more of this, if it is interesting or not. And, be sure to check out the book: The Psychologists's Book Of Self-Tests 

Feel free to post your results!

God bless,

-Aang

Math....i don't like math. >_<

But what I will say is that I'm not nearly as assertive as I should be. I'm more of a "stand off until everything goes to crap" kind of person. Which is alright sometimes, but in others it can be devastating, because I've let all these issues pile up in my head instead of addressing them as they occur. This results in my frustrations colliding together or coming out all at once, and hurting the people who care about me. Not sure why, really. I guess I just hate confrontation, and being assertive and vocal about what I really want and need seems selfish. I guess that's why in many cases I default to subtle hints, and pray that the other person catches on. Definitely not a goof tactic.... However, when I'm with close family, I'm much more vocal and opinionated. Which leads me to believe it may just a comfort zone thing.

Damn I got a -6.

Like what does that even make me?

Tbh, I am more of an in-between type of a person. Like I will have speak my mind and be in control but there are times when I don't think its worth doing so or I don't feel like it. I am in control of my own person though no matter what. I also wont cause problems with clerks or waiters.

Damn I got a -6.

Like what does that even make me?

Tbh, I am more of an in-between type of a person. Like I will have speak my mind and be in control but there are times when I don't think its worth doing so or I don't feel like it. I am in control of my own person though no matter what. I also wont cause problems with clerks or waiters.

You are anywhere from the 55-65 percentile. Which means you are well balanced, which, in turn, is the best you could be.