Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
XxBlossomingNobodyxX

Some things I want to say about Kingdom Hearts 0C 's and OC 's generally

My main beef with fan characters (I consider them different from OCs, which I assume are a part of an original story) is that I just don't feel like reading about them. That's about it. Now, it took me a loooooong time to distinguish between legitimate Mary Sueness, and types of stories I just plain am not interested in. Fan characters, just by existing, take attention away from what I came to read fanfiction for: the canon characters.

Fan characters get a ton of flack, probably an unnecessary amount, because they're automatically at a disadvantage when compared to the canon characters. If a reader is reading fanfiction, chances are they're already familiar with the characters and setting and story. That's an advantage and disadvantage to fanfiction in general: readers go into a fanfic already having an emotional attachment to what they're reading about. Fan characters have no such loyalty. They automatically stand out, and not necessarily in a good way. Readers will turn a harsher eye to the fan character. The fan character, by existing, is infringing on something. Maybe even threatening what they care about. They'll think, "I came to read about Sora -- why's he palling around with this chick?" and probably won't give them a chance, maybe unfairly so. It's why readers can get pissed when, say, a fan character is best buddies with a canon character. It doesn't matter how justified in-universe it is. It doesn't even matter how well-written it is, usually. It's just not what they came for.

Of course, if it's not what they came for, they shouldn't be reading the fic to begin with. The point is that creating a compelling fan character necessitates butting into canon in some way, whether by having the story take place in a time/area away from the canon characters, or by being with them. But since they're butting in, it means readers like me don't give them a chance out of principle. Because it's not what we came for.

Totally get where you're coming from Draco. And yes, I have to agree that they are called "fan characters" but the community calls them more often "OC's" so eventually you just give in to what everyone calls them so they know what you're talking about.

In all my years of Fanfiction, Ive never really read OC fanfiction. I just turned away. Wouldn't click the link cause I didn't want to read about a character I didn't know. Only this year did I start reading OC fanfictions, though I've heard of Mary Sues for longer than that. But I came to find I really liked some of the characters I read about. I liked their personality and what they brought into in the story and the relationship they had with the characters. After I read a really good one, I wanted more interesting stories. So I started looking through OC fanfiction. There's a lot that are bad, (No offense writers), but Ive read some really good ones and now I like OC's/ Fan characters.

Totally get where you're coming from Draco. And yes, I have to agree that they are called "fan characters" but the community calls them more often "OC's" so eventually you just give in to what everyone calls them so they know what you're talking about.

In all my years of Fanfiction, Ive never really read OC fanfiction. I just turned away. Wouldn't click the link cause I didn't want to read about a character I didn't know. Only this year did I start reading OC fanfictions, though I've heard of Mary Sues for longer than that. But I came to find I really liked some of the characters I read about. I liked their personality and what they brought into in the story and the relationship they had with the characters. After I read a really good one, I wanted more interesting stories. So I started looking through OC fanfiction. There's a lot that are bad, (No offense writers), but Ive read some really good ones and now I like OC's/ Fan characters.

I used to love reading about fan characters, but back then I was a sad foolish little girl full of blah. *-* But then I spent too much time in the Sonic the Hedgehog fandom (psst! Never go there, ever), which is swarming with palette-swapped canon characters and freaky illogical hybrid creatures (how do you mix a hedgehog with a falcon?), and my attitude towards fan characters soured tremendously. Of course, since back then I was still a sad foolish little girl full of blah, my perspective shifted too far in the other direction and I dismissed fan characters just for existing. Even the slightest closeness between a canon character and fan character was automatically met with "MARY SUE KILL IT WITH FIER!!" And it didn't help that the majority of them were legitimately bad.

My head's cooled a lot since then, and now I just treat fan characters with indifference. I'm probably missing out on a lot of good stories, but these days my patience to sift through all the bad stuff to get through the good has diminished a lot. There's only a select few fics I'm keeping up with. I'd rather just write my own. It's weird aging stuff, man. Never grow up.

I would love to write about my OC [whose primary purpose was to develop Kairi in exploring emotions and showcase her behaviors] if only to explore the emotional development aspects of writing.  I just gotta stop being lazy first xD

I gotta take notes on this thread. Thanks blossom!

My main beef with fan characters (I consider them different from OCs, which I assume are a part of an original story) is that I just don't feel like reading about them. That's about it. 

^^^This... This is why I never bother with fanfictions. Well that and since they're not official, then I can't help but think "why bother reading this?" Plus, writing styles are not that stellar in the KH fanfic community [for the most part] when compared to... say... the MLP fanbase. It just really irks me.

Edited by Javelin434

I used to love reading about fan characters, but back then I was a sad foolish little girl full of blah. *-* But then I spent too much time in the Sonic the Hedgehog fandom (psst! Never go there, ever), which is swarming with palette-swapped canon characters and freaky illogical hybrid creatures (how do you mix a hedgehog with a falcon?), and my attitude towards fan characters soured tremendously. Of course, since back then I was still a sad foolish little girl full of blah, my perspective shifted too far in the other direction and I dismissed fan characters just for existing. Even the slightest closeness between a canon character and fan character was automatically met with "MARY SUE KILL IT WITH FIER!!" And it didn't help that the majority of them were legitimately bad.

My head's cooled a lot since then, and now I just treat fan characters with indifference. I'm probably missing out on a lot of good stories, but these days my patience to sift through all the bad stuff to get through the good has diminished a lot. There's only a select few fics I'm keeping up with. I'd rather just write my own. It's weird aging stuff, man. Never grow up.

Yeah, Ive heard of Sonic weird color overs and stuff. The bad ones.

Youre right though. Sometimes it is aggravating to shift through from the bad and good, but idk i like the good ones. I like the idea of seperate stories than what i know already, so now im hooked on them.

And yes, please. I dont want to get older!

I never wanted to leave past 16 *sob*

I would love to write about my OC [whose primary purpose was to develop Kairi in exploring emotions and showcase her behaviors] if only to explore the emotional development aspects of writing.  I just gotta stop being lazy first xD

I gotta take notes on this thread. Thanks blossom!

^^^This... This is why I never bother with fanfictions. Well that and since they're not official, then I can't help but think "why bother reading this?" Plus, writing styles are not that stellar in the KH fanfic community [for the most part] when compared to... say... the MLP fanbase. It just really irks me.

Welcome, Jav! Lol.

And yes, tell me about your OC!

Edited by XxBlossomingNobodyxX

And yes, tell me about your OC!

So as to not bore anyone with this useless stuff... Long story short, everything about him is supposed to be a catalyst for developing Kairi if I was to ever work on my fanfic. Like... the fanfic will be about Kairi more than anything [go figure xD]

-He's a soldier/defender who swore an oath of secrecy and to protect the princess from emotional or physical distress 'by any means necessary.'

-With Sora and Riku gone in CoM, Kairi eventually misses them dearly [to the point of despair/crying]. This results in a conflict of interest for the OC [does he prevent emotional distress by intervention and thus breaks his secrecy. or stay a secret and fail to comfort the princess to uphold 'prevent emotional harm/distress.']  

-After deciding the princess is more important than the oath, he breaks it and attempts to comfort the princess.

-Kairi creeped out at first [obviously], but throughout the story, slowly learns to accept him and his role as the creepy protector xD.

-a protector/protectoree friendship is made, and upon realizing how boring he is [all work, no play] she attempts to 'humanize' him. This helps develop Kairi as a character and makes for comedy.

-She asks more about him, and then learns that the OC is viewed as a 'disposable asset.' Kairi starts asking the hard questions and realizes the scope of how important she is. Again, character development for her.

-Kairi tries to show him the other side of life that isn't about protecting against enemies. It sorta works. Again, develops Kairi as a character.

-I'm skipping a lot but at the end, he 'disappears.'

Posted Image

So as to not bore anyone with this useless stuff... Long story short, everything about him is supposed to be a catalyst for developing Kairi if I was to ever work on my fanfic. Like... the fanfic will be about Kairi more than anything [go figure xD]

-He's a soldier/defender who swore an oath of secrecy and to protect the princess from emotional or physical distress 'by any means necessary.'

-With Sora and Riku gone in CoM, Kairi eventually misses them dearly [to the point of despair/crying]. This results in a conflict of interest for the OC [does he prevent emotional distress by intervention and thus breaks his secrecy. or stay a secret and fail to comfort the princess to uphold 'prevent emotional harm/distress.']  

-After deciding the princess is more important than the oath, he breaks it and attempts to comfort the princess.

-Kairi creeped out at first [obviously], but throughout the story, slowly learns to accept him and his role as the creepy protector xD.

-a protector/protectoree friendship is made, and upon realizing how boring he is [all work, no play] she attempts to 'humanize' him. This helps develop Kairi as a character and makes for comedy.

-She asks more about him, and then learns that the OC is viewed as a 'disposable asset.' Kairi starts asking the hard questions and realizes the scope of how important she is. Again, character development for her.

-Kairi tries to show him the other side of life that isn't about protecting against enemies. It sorta works. Again, develops Kairi as a character.

-I'm skipping a lot but at the end, he 'disappears.'

Posted Image

Reaaly good!

He sounds like a group I made up for a story i will never really finish until im a talented author lol (They are protectors too)

But it sounds really great. I think those two go well together. So well, i think im gonna cry.

So cute...

Excuse me for a second.

*near tears* *whispers* Adorable...

Reaaly good!

He sounds like a group I made up for a story i will never really finish until im a talented author lol (They are protectors too)

But it sounds really great. I think those two go well together. So well, i think im gonna cry.

So cute...

Excuse me for a second.

*near tears* *whispers* Adorable...

I wanted to break the mold of:

"canon character falls madly in love with OC at first sight" [she likes him, and makes the ending more bittersweet]

"kicking heartless butt with unjustifiable OPness" [his OP is justified]

"My OC is sooooooo perfect!" [His social skills are severely lacking. Like... he avoids interactions for a reason ya know xD]

"My friends are my power!" [Nocturnal Guardians are supposed to be lonely and self-sufficient]

"I'm gonna carbon copy lines from the games!" [Logical defender in conversation with an emotional princess = hilarity, stressful conversations and character development]

>>> Like seriously, think about it. xD

Kairi: "You lazy bum! I knew I'd find you snoozing down here!"

OC: "I'm a Nocturnal Guardian. I sleep during the day and operate at night. I cannot be lazy, princess. I am trained to be vigilant and at the ready to respond to you whenever, wherever."

Kairi: "........ok?"

Oh, and "My OC is Pure Light!!!" [He has darkness, but is weaponized to serve the light.]

I wanted to break the mold of:

"canon character falls madly in love with OC at first sight" [she likes him, and makes the ending more bittersweet]

"kicking heartless butt with unjustifiable OPness" [his OP is justified]

"My OC is sooooooo perfect!" [His social skills are severely lacking. Like... he avoids interactions for a reason ya know xD]

"My friends are my power!" [Nocturnal Guardians are supposed to be lonely and self-sufficient]

"I'm gonna carbon copy lines from the games!" [Logical defender in conversation with an emotional princess = hilarity, stressful conversations and character development]

>>> Like seriously, think about it. xD

Kairi: "You lazy bum! I knew I'd find you snoozing down here!"

OC: "I'm a Nocturnal Guardian. I sleep during the day and operate at night. I cannot be lazy, princess. I am trained to be vigilant and at the ready to respond to you whenever, wherever."

Kairi: "........ok?"

Oh, and "My OC is Pure Light!!!" [He has darkness, but is weaponized to serve the light.]

Yes, I can really tell! I just love the interaction of the two together I think they would be so cute <3

Like, if Sora didnt exist, those two would be my OTP. Im just thinking how cute they are together! Him not understanding her ways and her trying to help him learn <3

Thank you! I really needed someone to talk about this. Initially, I was afraid (and sort of still am) of sharing my OC knowing how infamous the topic is within the KH community. I also agree on how ridiculous most KH fanfiction stories can get (i.e. Characters swearing or explicitly sexual moments... Yes, I'm not joking) despite the series itself being relatively tamed. 

I would actually like to share my concept for my OC. She's still a work in progress but I'll just jot what I've got so far. (Feed would be most appreciated)

•Her name's Kara

•She's a former mechanic turned keyblade wielder (Though it takes her some time to learn how to wield one)

•She was formally from Raident Garden

•She's childhood friends with Lea (Axel) and Isa (Saix) (I actually have planned for Lea to be Kara's love interest but that's for much MUCH later)

•She worked along side Sid and Leon's group in Traverse Town before wanting to become a keyblade wielder (Note that I'm saying she's a 'wielder' and not a 'master' and that's because I'm not to sure if I should have her want to be a Keyblade master or not)

•Kara later on becomes good friends with Sora and considers becoming a Keyblade wielder after empathizing with his strong resolve to look for his missing friends    

•Kara doesn't consider wielding a Keyblade until after the events of KHI

•I chose the name 'Kara' because of the meaning behind it either meaning beloved or dearest one. The original spelling, Cara, can also mean 'friend'. I read the name also derives from Norse mythology. (I guess with this I kind of have an idea of what her personality might be like)

I'm also providing an image of what she looks like so far. Again, she's still a work in progress. That's all I have so far since I recently created her. Let me know what you think. Anything I should add or take out?

15849040300921209784127.thumb.jpg.b00fe6b5406b008cc837fef6ad9c9322.jpg