Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sora96

Lightning Returns hits a milestone, X/X-2 HD continues to sell

That's because FF9 was good xD

Quoting two of your posts because I'm cool like that

Well, the thing is, notice how this whole "decline in quality" started happening after Toriyama started putting his grubby mitts on the series. Like FF10 and 12 were good (I hear 11 and 14 are too) but any game that Toriyama's team is associated with (X-2, XIII, XIII-2 [which I like, but it wasn't perfect], and LR) since 10 have been rather lackluster compared to their predecessors. And when he's told that people don't like his games, he says "oh people's opinions lighten with time." 

But on the other hand, look at Tabata with XV now. He knows the fans want it. He knows and respects that Nomura had a vision for the title, but wasn't the best at following through with it. And in all his interviews, he is honest and humble, and he even says how he makes an effort to listen to fans responses (like with his recent Kotaku interview). He realizes his mistakes when he makes them (i.e. the screw up with the "hold button to attack" feature that he didn't advertise very well at first). And he's trying to be as open with us as possible without completely spoiling the game. If nothing else, I have faith that this title will be decent at the very least, because the dudes working on it seem more competent than Toriyama. They clearly actually want to make a good game, and not just use it to advertise their waifu raituningu<333333334333w42refdv

Sorry that was kinda off-topic xD

That's wrong. Toriyama and Kitase have been very open following XIII's criticisms. XIII-2 and LR are far from linear.

That's wrong. Toriyama and Kitase have been very open following XIII's criticisms. XIII-2 and LR are far from linear.

Well, in terms of size of the world and the battle system, sure. They did learn from their mistakes. But the problem was that they kept treating Lightning like the second coming of Christ (in fact, she essentially was in LR), and made unnecessary sacrifices to story and other elements because they wanted all the focus to be on her. Like don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the XIII series. Heck, I think XIII-2 has some really great elements in it and was overall a decent game (with a frickin' sweet final boss I might add). But the XIII series was pretty much the only FF continuity that I walked away from feeling like it could have been so much better. 

Well, in terms of size of the world and the battle system, sure. They did learn from their mistakes. But the problem was that they kept treating Lightning like the second coming of Christ (in fact, she essentially was in LR), and made unnecessary sacrifices to story and other elements because they wanted all the focus to be on her. Like don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the XIII series. Heck, I think XIII-2 has some really great elements in it and was overall a decent game (with a frickin' sweet final boss I might add). But the XIII series was pretty much the only FF continuity that I walked away from feeling like it could have been so much better. 

XIII was plagued with development issues and Crystal Tools wasn't an amazing engine to be honest.

FFX is one of the most popular PlayStation games of all time. Of course the sequel sells well. And you might not have liked it's story but a lot of people did like X-2.

Define a "lot" of people that isn't you or Square Enix employee?

And before you even say sales it sold because it's sequel to the actually good FFX

That's because FF9 was good xD

Quoting two of your posts because I'm cool like that

Well, the thing is, notice how this whole "decline in quality" started happening after Toriyama started putting his grubby mitts on the series. Like FF10 and 12 were good (I hear 11 and 14 are too) but any game that Toriyama's team is associated with (X-2, XIII, XIII-2 [which I like, but it wasn't perfect], and LR) since 10 have been rather lackluster compared to their predecessors. And when he's told that people don't like his games, he says "oh people's opinions lighten with time." 

But on the other hand, look at Tabata with XV now. He knows the fans want it. He knows and respects that Nomura had a vision for the title, but wasn't the best at following through with it. And in all his interviews, he is honest and humble, and he even says how he makes an effort to listen to fans responses (like with his recent Kotaku interview). He realizes his mistakes when he makes them (i.e. the screw up with the "hold button to attack" feature that he didn't advertise very well at first). And he's trying to be as open with us as possible without completely spoiling the game. If nothing else, I have faith that this title will be decent at the very least, because the dudes working on it seem more competent than Toriyama. They clearly actually want to make a good game, and not just use it to advertise their waifu raituningu<333333334333w42refdv

Sorry that was kinda off-topic xD

That's basically why I was glad that Tabata replaced Nomura in directing XV

If Nomura was still the head of the project we might've not heard of it again until 2019 xD

Bullshit,that's coming from the same person(Toriyama) who said in his XIII interviews that he doesn't listen to critics

XIII was plagued with development issues and Crystal Tools wasn't an amazing engine to be honest.

This doesn't excuse the horror that was the writing for this set's story.

Toriyama is pretty safe when it comes to XIV though. Best FF I've played over the recent titles. It's fun, it's online with a great community, and the story is great, though I barely read the text thanks to the really small screen I use to have (Thank god the important scenes had voice acting!)

This doesn't excuse the horror that was the writing for this set's story.

Toriyama is pretty safe when it comes to XIV though. Best FF I've played over the recent titles. It's fun, it's online with a great community, and the story is great, though I barely read the text thanks to the really small screen I use to have (Thank god the important scenes had voice acting!)

XIV wasn't directed by Toriyama at all in fact he has 0 involvement in XIV aside from the Lightning event where everyone dresses like Lightning and Snow and you fight monsters with Lightning

XIV wasn't directed by Toriyama at all in fact he has 0 involvement in XIV aside from the Lightning event where everyone dresses like Lightning and Snow and you fight monsters with Lightning

Lol. I must have been confused by the earlier posts mentioning XIV while talking about him. The event wasn't bad at least. You just talked to an unrelated NPC,  go to the area of public event and fight monsters with hundreds of players (that could cause minor lag due to the huge build up of them) and Lightning, the turn the quest in for a piece of equipment.

Lol. I must have been confused by the earlier posts mentioning XIV while talking about him. The event wasn't bad at least. You just talked to an unrelated NPC,  go to the area of public event and fight monsters with hundreds of players (that could cause minor lag due to the huge build up of them) and Lightning, the turn the quest in for a piece of equipment.

Yeah,anyway since you mentioned XIII's plot......oh my god I can't believe I thought this plot was good back in 2010-2011

It took me just one revisit of the game to see how terrifyingly stupid the story is and the whoreshit that is the datalog

Not meaning to be rude, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. If you're saying that the linearity was a problem with the engine which they later figured out, then I retract my statement that they listened to the fans there. And that's really not a point in Toriyama's favor. 

Yeah,anyway since you mentioned XIII's plot......oh my god I can't believe I thought this plot was good back in 2010-2011

It took me just one revisit of the game to see how terrifyingly stupid the story is and the whoreshit that is the datalog

I didn't mind the story when I played the original XIII, but I haven't played it in a while. I wonder if I'd have the same reaction as you if I played it again. 

Also do you happen to have a link to the interview where Toriyama said he doesn't listen to critics? I kinda want to read it now xD

Not meaning to be rude, but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. If you're saying that the linearity was a problem with the engine which they later figured out, then I retract my statement that they listened to the fans there. And that's really not a point in Toriyama's favor. 

I didn't mind the story when I played the original XIII, but I haven't played it in a while. I wonder if I'd have the same reaction as you if I played it again. 

Also do you happen to have a link to the interview where Toriyama said he doesn't listen to critics? I kinda want to read it now xD

XIII's story is well put together, it just doesn't make much sense when you actually think about it

Look it up,it's one of his interviews where he and Kitase reacted to the complains about the game

Heck spoony himself mentioned it

Look it up,it's one of his interviews where he and Kitase reacted to the complains about the game

Heck spoony himself mentioned it

spoony himself?

is he some sort of authority on Final Fantasy now?