Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sora96

Motomu Toriyama might be the highest selling director in Square Enix history

Final Fantasy games directed by Motomu Toriyama have sold a combined 29.1 million copies worldwide as of December 27, 2014. This is not including digital and as such doesn't include PC/Steam sales. These numbers are all thanks to VGChartz.

Final Fantasy X = 8.05
Final Fantasy X International = 0.27
Final Fantasy X-2 = 5.29
Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission = 0.29
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings = 1.37
Final Fantasy XIII PS3 = 5.25
Final Fantasy XIII 360 = 2.10
Final Fantasy XIII-2 PS3 = 2.66 without digital
Final Fantasy XIII-2 360 = 0.72 without digital
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII PS3 = 1.01 without digital
Lightning Returns: Fantasy XIII 360 = 0.22 without digital
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster PS3 = 1.19 without digital
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster PS Vita = 0.68 without digital
= 29.1

Lol. He doesn't get the money, Square Enix does.

Money he earned = paycheck. Paycheck comes out of funds received by SE for games made.

Besides,almost all of what he has directed has been mediocre and poorly recieved by fans and critics with the exception of X.....the reason he became highest selling(wut) is because of how much crap he directed....it's a case of quantity over quality

Yeah, the XIII series was painfully mediocre for the most part. There were some good moments in them (and perhaps even some great moments too), but they could have been so much better overall. Caius deserved better. 

Yeah, the XIII series was painfully mediocre for the most part. There were some good moments in them (and perhaps even some great moments too), but they could have been so much better overall. Caius deserved better. 

Amen

XIII-2 was the only XIII game I liked....it was legitimately good and Caius was an amazing villian......it got hurt by the awful reputation of the XIII trilogy

Edited by Smash Mega Koopa

Yeah, someone (I like to think Toriyama) had all the wrong priorities when making the series. Especially with LR. Instead of making it a good storyline, it was just a RAITUNINGU fest to celebrate Toriyama's waifu and her good looks. 

It's really sad when a small fan-fiction I had about how to end XIII-2 with the DLC somehow turned out to be better than the actual third game in terms of plot

I can tell ya if you're interested .....it might sound bad but hey I tried

Yeah, someone (I like to think Toriyama) had all the wrong priorities when making the series. Especially with LR. Instead of making it a good storyline, it was just a RAITUNINGU fest to celebrate Toriyama's waifu and her good looks. 

Lol Lightning Returns was pretty much a dress up simulator. Not only that, but they also downgraded the graphics a bit more too lol. It's a good thing I wasn't one of the people who wasted their money on that game. 

Edited by Tails

It's really sad when a small fan-fiction I had about how to end XIII-2 with the DLC somehow turned out to be better than the actual third game in terms of plot

I can tell ya if you're interested .....it might sound bad but hey I tried

Hahaha even I could come up with something better than LR's ending. In fact I think I did in one topic a while back or something...

Lol Lightning Returns was pretty much a dress up simulator. Not only that, but they also downgraded the graphics a bit more too lol. It's a good thing I wasn't one of the people who wasted their money on that game. 

Yeah, the graphics took a hit in that for some reason.

I mean it's not like I didn't enjoy the game. It was worth my money to some extent, as there were some good ideas in it, the battle system was nice, and it had a good soundtrack, but it overall just reeked of wasted potential. 

He did not direct 10. He wrote a lot of it though, if I remember correctly.

Oddly enough I wiki'd it and apparently Kitase directed Final Fantasy X.

Toriyama did direct X-2 though...

Posted Image

Please guys be civil and respect each other in your posts. Let me make this clear - any post that is rude, offensive, or flaming will be deleted regardless.

Does that mean all your posts need to be deleted? xD

I honestly can't tell at this point how many people actually formed their opinions about FFXIII and Toriyama's works on their own, and how many of those people have even actually played his games at any length

In particular, nobody seems to have any clue what FFX-2 or Lightning Returns are actually about, and somehow people are under the delusion that 13-2 was worse than the original

I honestly can't tell at this point how many people actually formed their opinions about FFXIII and Toriyama's works on their own, and how many of those people have even actually played his games at any length

In particular, nobody seems to have any clue what FFX-2 or Lightning Returns are actually about, and somehow people are under the delusion that 13-2 was worse than the original

I played all 3 games in the XIII trilogy and even played The 3rd Birthday which was also directed by Toriyama if this post was directed at me and I also made a lengthy review of Lightning Returns FFXIII

Heck I even spent over 80 hours on XIII-2 doing the post game because I actually think that XIII-2 is a very good game

I saw a let's play of X-2 and I refuse to touch that game even if my life depended on it

Yeah, XIII-2 was better than the original in almost every way, in my opinion. I think people just assumed that it's terrible because they were peeved that 13 got a sequel while vsXIII still hadn't seen the light of day yet. 

I've played all the XIII games, but I admit I don't know (or care enough to learn) what X-2 is about. xD

The sad thing is, there's a lot of stuff to like in the XIII games, but XIII and LR both have enough poorly placed elements in them that drag them down into the "mediocre" range. That being said, it still annoys me how people always blindly hated on the games without even playing them. They're just complaining because they're entitled, in many cases.

Yeah, XIII-2 was better than the original in almost every way, in my opinion. I think people just assumed that it's terrible because they were peeved that 13 got a sequel while vsXIII still hadn't seen the light of day yet. 

I've played all the XIII games, but I admit I don't know (or care enough to learn) what X-2 is about. xD

The sad thing is, there's a lot of stuff to like in the XIII games, but XIII and LR both have enough poorly placed elements in them that drag them down into the "mediocre" range. That being said, it still annoys me how people always blindly hated on the games without even playing them. They're just complaining because they're entitled, in many cases.

Well some people can't risk payinbg 60$ for something that they may or may not like

I own the first two games in the XIII trilogy and while I can acknowledge that XIII-2 did a lot right over its predecessor it wasn't enough to convince me that the series was any good up to that point. Based on trailers and gameplay from LR, I felt that I didn't want to waste my money on what was a terrible looking game, imo. I didn't care for any of the characters besides Caius and Sazh. The storyline wasn't something that I considered memorable and was just a convoluted mess.

Given Toriyama's involvement in the XIII trilogy, I can admit that if he were to direct another mainline Final Fantasy (and I don't see why he won't) then I'll be reluctant to give it a chance based on my experience with his last one.

As I haven't played X or X-2 I can't make judgements on them, but at the same time I never criticise those games any ways.