Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sora96

Sora96's Tomb Raider Review

Tomb Raider is a 2013 action-adventure video game developed by Crystal Dynamics and published by Square Enix for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC & Mac. It was later ported to PlayStation 4 & Xbox One.

Tomb Raider is a reboot to the franchise, a fitting time to do it since it’s the first Tomb Raider game developed since Square Enix acquired Crystal Dynamics. It is also a brand new origins story and features a brand new actress as Lara Croft. These are some of the main reasons why I purchased Tomb Raider. The old Tomb Raider doesn't really interest me, but this new era of Tomb Raider is exciting to me.

The game starts off like a good interesting action-adventure game but then when a plane crashes the game picks up and becomes one of the most epic gaming experiences I've ever had. 

It’s up there with Uncharted 2 & 3, games I loved. The weapons are a ton of fun. I love using the bow & arrow and the various guns. They feel so good. The game also allows you to take the sniping approach with the bow & arrow or to just go all guns blazes like you would usually in an Uncharted game. 

There are also optional tombs and they will provide a challenge, but personally I didn't dig too deep into these.

The pacing could be improved though. You can go through a very exciting part and then feel a letdown. Or at times you’ll be thinking “I want to shoot some enemies” and next thing you know you'll be thinking “How many enemies do I have to face?”

I also loved a lot of the ways you can move around the island.

And the quick time events change up the already great cinematics.

Music and sound effects are top notch.

There’s even a few RPG-like elements to enhance the experience.

There’s also behind the scenes videos, artwork, Square Enix trailers and more to enjoy.

There has been a lot of bad reception to the multiplayer (a first for the franchise) but I personally really enjoyed it, more than Uncharted 2 & 3’s multiplayers.

Hardly any trophies are connected to the main story which I personally don't like but I know some people do.

There’s also some nice single-player and multiplayer DLC along with outfits and weapons if you want more, but most editions of the game come with the DLC included for free.

Tomb Raider is an amazing game and is again up there with Uncharted 2 & 3. I played the PS3 version and will purchase the PS4 version at some stage in the future. Hopefully Rise of the Tomb Raider’s timed exclusive contract isn't that long and we can see this game on PS4 in early 2016. At this stage Uncharted 4 is winning the race but we'll see if Crystal Dynamics has something up their sleeve.

9/10

Story was alright, I just loved that environment. The water...the sky.....the trees......Still one of the most accurate geographical designs I've ever seen for a game.

Story was alright, I just loved that environment. The water...the sky.....the trees......Still one of the most accurate geographical designs I've ever seen for a game.

Yeah, I'll admit the story wasn't as good as the Uncharteds.

Multiplayer was great for many reasons...until it died. Ranked died, Ranked players moved to Casual which enforced the death of Casual as well. Matches are extremely hard to find even on the next gen consoles. Took at least a half hour to get the minimum 4 players to start the match, and then one person dominated the arena. A completely well balanced multiplayer broke when no one wanted to play it anymore.

Story was great. I'd say it was Uncharted 1 standards. Not good enough for Uncharted 3 and definitely hasn't seen Uncharted 2 yet. Rise of the Tomb Raider might reach 3's standards at least.

Edited by Hero of Winds

I thought Tomb Raider was alright. I got about half way through it but it never really clicked for me. Gunplay and platforming was good but the story and lore never felt very interesting. I just finished Bioshock Infinite recently... Now that was an amazing game.