Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sora96

Yasue says 1.5 & 2.5 were 'good training' for Kingdom Hearts III & sharing ideas with FFXV team

In an interview with Kotaku at last month's European launch event for Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX, Tai Yasue the co-director of the Kingdom Hearts series spoke about Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX & HD 2.5 ReMIX being good training for new staff members in preparation for Kingdom Hearts III. He also discusses respecting source material and sharing ideas with the Final Fantasy XV team for the new hardware. You can read the interview below.

"We have been working on 3 and 2.5 at the same time," he explains, "so a lot of people are crossing over and doing both. There are also a lot of new people working on both. In a way, we've learned what was good about our previous Kingdom Hearts [games] by making 2.5."

"For 3, we want to evolve it in a new direction, but at the same time we don't want to change what is fundamental about Kingdom Hearts. We're hiring new people continuously, so they are learning about Kingdom Hearts through making 2.5. It's a good learning experience."

Kingdom Hearts is a unique thing to be working on, says Yasue, due to the necessity of finding a balance between respecting the Disney properties and incorporating original, creative ideas - so the training has been necessary.

"There's a lot to get used to working with the Disney content," he says. "You have to have a lot of dedication and respect for their visual IPs for example, and when you play Kingdom Hearts 2 you see that: when you summon a character or use a spell there's a lot of love and care that goes into the presentation. When you see Stitch coming out of the screen, for example, it's very true to the original movie. That dedication is something you learn through the process or remaking 2."

It must surely be restrictive working within those constraints, but Yasue enjoys the challenge that they introduce. "As Square-Enix, if someone else was making a Final Fantasy or a Dragon Quest, we'd be very protective of that too," he ventures. "So we really understand the importance of not changing the brand and respecting the fans. We want to make it true to Disney - we don't want to change it fundamentally. We always strive to make original content, but with Kingdom Hearts you have to really respect the source material, and that's something people really like about the series."

"As someone who creates games I think the constraints make you really think. They are what make you strive to come up with new ideas - ideas that are acceptable to Disney, and also fun. That balancing act leads to a lot of surprises. It's very challenging, but we work on it daily. We continuously talk with Disney and see what they think is acceptable… but we constantly want to surprise our players, too, so we need flexibility. It is challenging and makes you think."

The Kingdom Hearts team also benefits from sharing expertise with the other Square-Enix development units, including the Final Fantasy XV team, Yasue says - even though Kingdom Hearts development is based in Osaka. "We trade ideas - especially for PS4, Xbox One, new gen stuff," says Yasue. "We're trying to move in leaps obviously, so there is a lot to learn and a lot to explain to other people. That exchange of ideas and technology is very important and we're doing that inside Square Enix, with other teams."

Click here to view the article

That's worrying, considering the terrible audio glitches in 1FM, terrible lip-synch in Re: COM, the horendus load times and occasional mini glitches in 2FM, BBSFM being sort of a lazy port, and the fact that RE: Coded only had fully HD scenes in completely-brand-new scenes. If those were the training dummies, I'm very worried about the production of 15 being sub-par as well.

"We have been working on 3 and 2.5 at the same time," he explains, "so a lot of people are crossing over and doing both."

Crossing over? Crossing over from what? 2.5 has already come out, so shouldn't the team be dedicated entirely to KH3 now?

Edited by Pandy Monium

"We have been working on 3 and 2.5 at the same time," he explains, "so a lot of people are crossing over and doing both."

Crossing over? Crossing over from what? 2.5 has already come out, so shouldn't the team be dedicated entirely to KH3 now?

Maybe he is talking about before it was released. That or he means DDD HD.

First: This interview happened just last month.  Second: WHAT? A DDD remaster is really happening? Please say no...

First: This interview happened just last month.  Second: WHAT? A DDD remaster is really happening? Please say no...

Well first of all it's hinted in the credits of 2.5 and secondly Nomura said he didn't want to leave it alone. Also, what's wrong with it?

Well first of all it's hinted in the credits of 2.5 and secondly Nomura said he didn't want to leave it alone. Also, what's wrong with it?

There's no point. The others deserved to be remade, because of outdated graphics, and such.  There's nothing wrong with DDD. And if KH3 has to borrow members from other projects AND post a hiring list just to get it done, then where are they gonna get the extra people for DDD? Just taking more effort and time away from KH3.....

There's no point. The others deserved to be remade, because of outdated graphics, and such.  There's nothing wrong with DDD. And if KH3 has to borrow members from other projects AND post a hiring list just to get it done, then where are they gonna get the extra people for DDD? Just taking more effort and time away from KH3.....

I don't think they were made because of that, but because they wanted people to play them on the same console. 

I think he means when they were making 2.5. they had to cross over all the time from making 2.5 to 3 to 2.5 to 3.

actually some kingdom hearts fans might not have played because it is pointless to get a 3DS for one game. and i guess since they remade almost every game why stop there. also it is very likely that that game will also come with KHX which almost no one in america, or most places, has played. We have all waited really only 1 month for kingdom hearts 3 since they always have something to keep us busy, so just keep waiting and be patient, when KH3 comes out your will not regret the wait.

actually some kingdom hearts fans might not have played because it is pointless to get a 3DS for one game. and i guess since they remade almost every game why stop there. also it is very likely that that game will also come with KHX which almost no one in america, or most places, has played. We have all waited really only 1 month for kingdom hearts 3 since they always have something to keep us busy, so just keep waiting and be patient, when KH3 comes out your will not regret the wait.

I thought it was made clear by Square that they have no intentions of localizing Chi? I mean, it would be AWESOME  if they did, but- Nope, I'm just gonna come out and say it- Instead of worrying about DDD, Chi is the game they need to work on!

I thought it was made clear by Square that they have no intentions of localizing Chi? I mean, it would be AWESOME  if they did, but- Nope, I'm just gonna come out and say it- Instead of worrying about DDD, Chi is the game they need to work on!

I doubt they won't localize it, i mean look at the final mix's after however many years those are now everywhere, and i mean i doubt they would only make kh3D by itself, the only other option left would be to make KH358/2 and Recoded again but instead of videos they are also playable. so three playable games.

I doubt they won't localize it, i mean look at the final mix's after however many years those are now everywhere, and i mean i doubt they would only make kh3D by itself, the only other option left would be to make KH358/2 and Recoded again but instead of videos they are also playable. so three playable games.

Just going by what's been said multiple times already. And besides, wouldn't it be difficult to include Chi, considering it's not even done yet? It's an on-going web game. :P

Edited by Pandy Monium

Just going by what's been said multiple times already. And besides, wouldn't it be difficult to include Chi, considering it's not even done yet? It's an on-going web game. :P

good point so more than likely they will just make KH3D or make KH3D and the other games that were videos playable

That's worrying, considering the terrible audio glitches in 1FM, terrible lip-synch in Re: COM, the horendus load times and occasional mini glitches in 2FM, BBSFM being sort of a lazy port, and the fact that RE: Coded only had fully HD scenes in completely-brand-new scenes. If those were the training dummies, I'm very worried about the production of 15 being sub-par as well.

Well the lip sync wasn't on them at all, the game existed before they ported it. The load times, as has been explained numerous times, is a result of being on a blu ray disk, so it couldn't be avoided. BBS was pretty far from a lazy port, and the Re:Coded thing is a pretty simple matter too. They made the existing cutscnes already, so they had to upscaled. Not so with the NEW cutscenes.

Beyond THAT these are the people that already made BBS and DDD, the HD remakes are hardly the only standard we have to go by

Er

DDD functionally uses the same graphics as the PS2 games. KH2 is graphically superior. Not that this was ever about needing to improve the grpahics, the intent was always to ensure people could easily access the stories of all the KH games on a single console

Well the lip sync wasn't on them at all, the game existed before they ported it. The load times, as has been explained numerous times, is a result of being on a blu ray disk, so it couldn't be avoided. BBS was pretty far from a lazy port, and the Re:Coded thing is a pretty simple matter too. They made the existing cutscnes already, so they had to upscaled. Not so with the NEW cutscenes.

Beyond THAT these are the people that already made BBS and DDD, the HD remakes are hardly the only standard we have to go by

Er

DDD functionally uses the same graphics as the PS2 games. KH2 is graphically superior. Not that this was ever about needing to improve the grpahics, the intent was always to ensure people could easily access the stories of all the KH games on a single console

If you say so, buddy. Still think DDD is fine as is. :)

KH2 was fine as is too, what's the problem?

Though DDD isn't what I'd call fine. A fine mess maybe

Not lookin' for a debate. I've already expressed my opinion on the supposed remake, so I have nothing more to say about that.

And it was fine in my eyes. Maybe not the most sound story-wise, but visually,  it looked nice.

Not lookin' for a debate. I've already expressed my opinion on the supposed remake, so I have nothing more to say about that.

And it was fine in my eyes. Maybe not the most sound story-wise, but visually,  it looked nice.

Visually it looked exactly like all of the previous PS2 quality games!

Visually it looked exactly like all of the previous PS2 quality games!

There was much improvement. Especially concerning expressions of the characters. People's lips actually matched what they were saying for 98% of the time.

There was much improvement. Especially concerning expressions of the characters. People's lips actually matched what they were saying for 98% of the time.

...you mean like in Birth by Sleep?

lip sync was only a problem in KH games with low budgets

though considering they didn't fix the lip flaps in either of the HD remixes, I don't know what that has to do with remastering the games

That's not the only factor, just an example.

The way the games look after being remastered is how DDD looks now. It already looks HD to me. Hence, why I don't see the big deal in redoing it.

Also, there's not really much they could add to that bundle. Unless they're planning to just re-release this one game and that's it. Which also seems odd. :/

This was during the European Launch Event last year.

That's not the only factor, just an example.

The way the games look after being remastered is how DDD looks now. It already looks HD to me. Hence, why I don't see the big deal in redoing it.

Also, there's not really much they could add to that bundle. Unless they're planning to just re-release this one game and that's it. Which also seems odd. :/

they could rerelease it as just one games for 20 dollars (or 30 if it ends up on PS4 or something)

or they could also remaster KHX, and they could even do the scenes intended for BBSV2 if they wanted to keep the two games and one movie theme going