Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Queen Tery

College life

So I got ALL A's this semester. I took 4 classes all while working no less than 38-40 hours every single week in one busy ass pharmacy. My classes were:

Effective Speaking

Intermediate Algebra

Western Civilization

General Psychology

I'm on break this summer to focus on getting certified at work for a pay raise and to expand my current job options. I will be back to school in the fall, currently registered for 3 classes, but debating a 4th one. My Pre-Calculus class will take up my Monday-Thursday mornings and I have to have enough extra time to be available at work for at least 38 hours a week. If I add an extra class it's going to steal an extra day away from being able to work. I will still be available to work 40 hours a week but if I did I wouldn't have a single day off a week aside from a 6 hour break between classes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Which would be plenty of time to get school work done, but I'll be more tired and I also have to fit in family doctor appts and time to go grocery shopping. Without a day off those things become more crammed. If I only take 3 classes I can still get done in about the same length of time as if I took an extra class but only if I take that extra class later and that would be putting it into a semester with either a more difficult calculus class, a physics class, and/or a more difficult programming class. Any advice is appreciated! I am debating the possibility of that class being online so I don't have to fit it around my work schedule but I don't do well with online classes personally. 

Also, what is everyone else doing with their summer? Classes? Work? Internships? Vacations?

Edited by Queen Tery

So I got ALL A's this semester. I took 4 classes all while working no less than 38-40 hours every single week in one busy ass pharmacy. My classes were:

Effective Speaking

Intermediate Algebra

Western Civilization

Psychology

I'm on break this summer to focus on getting certified at work for a pay raise and to expand my current job options. I will be back to school in the fall, currently registered for 3 classes, but debating a 4th one. My Pre-Calculus class will take up my Monday-Thursday mornings and I have to have enough extra time to be available at work for at least 38 hours a week. If I add an extra class it's going to steal an extra day away from being able to work. I will still be available to work 40 hours a week but if I did I wouldn't have a single day off a week aside from a 6 hour break between classes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Which would be plenty of time to get school work done, but I'll be more tired and I also have to fit in family doctor appts and time to go grocery shopping. Without a day off those things become more crammed. If I only take 3 classes I can still get done in about the same length of time as if I took an extra class but only if I take that extra class later and that would be putting it into a semester with either a more difficult calculus class, a physics class, and/or a more difficult programming class. Any advice is appreciated! I am debating the possibility of that class being online so I don't have to fit it around my work schedule but I don't do well with online classes personally. 

Also, what is everyone else doing with their summer? Classes? Work? Internships? Vacations?

Wow, you have such a busy life, my man.  I feel like a lazy piece of trash compared to you, lol.  With how busy you sound, it seems like 3 classes would be a good idea, just in case any surprise situations come up, it would be great to have that extra time to deal with whatever you need to deal with; which could be work, family, study time, etc.

I'll be starting pre-cal next week as a night class, but as you can imagine I'm not looking forward to that.  We'll see how it goes!

Wow, you have such a busy life, my man.  I feel like a lazy piece of trash compared to you, lol.  With how busy you sound, it seems like 3 classes would be a good idea, just in case any surprise situations come up, it would be great to have that extra time to deal with whatever you need to deal with; which could be work, family, study time, etc.

I'll be starting pre-cal next week as a night class, but as you can imagine I'm not looking forward to that.  We'll see how it goes!

I agree, I'm just worried about how hectic it's going to be as the classes get harder. So I feel like piling them on now while they're easier will make it easier late, you know? I had Pre-Caculus in high school and Calculus as well, but that was about 5 years ago xD 

Effective Speaking

Intermediate Algebra

Western Civilization

General Psychology

Everyone has their own limits as to what they can and can't handle in terms of class and work loads, but personally I would highly caution against more than three classes while working full time.  If you're dedicated to make both work and school be your only focuses of life and you can handle stress easily, perhaps you could do it, but truthfully you probably won't have time to even fit in life obligations apart from work and school.  Let alone any free time.  I made the mistake myself of taking on three classes and working full time.  While I could do it I was highly stressed, and had to sacrifice my personal workout sessions as well as cooking anything decent to eat.  It was even a trial getting groceries, but never mind that.  That's me personally and what sort of load I can handle.  You know yourself best, but I'd suggest err on the side of caution.  If you take on too much and get overwhelmed it could also cost you your grades.  You'll probably be glad later that you only took the three classes. : )

As for my summer, I'm actually enrolled for three classes, but they're all staggered so I'll only be taking two classes at a time.  Due to personal reasons and moving twice I wasn't able to attend in the spring, so I'm trying to make up for some of that now!

Everyone has their own limits as to what they can and can't handle in terms of class and work loads, but personally I would highly caution against more than three classes while working full time.  If you're dedicated to make both work and school be your only focuses of life and you can handle stress easily, perhaps you could do it, but truthfully you probably won't have time to even fit in life obligations apart from work and school.  Let alone any free time.  I made the mistake myself of taking on three classes and working full time.  While I could do it I was highly stressed, and had to sacrifice my personal workout sessions as well as cooking anything decent to eat.  It was even a trial getting groceries, but never mind that.  That's me personally and what sort of load I can handle.  You know yourself best, but I'd suggest err on the side of caution.  If you take on too much and get overwhelmed it could also cost you your grades.  You'll probably be glad later that you only took the three classes. : )

As for my summer, I'm actually enrolled for three classes, but they're all staggered so I'll only be taking two classes at a time.  Due to personal reasons and moving twice I wasn't able to attend in the spring, so I'm trying to make up for some of that now!

Idk I mean I just handled 4 classes and even got all A's. Even if my grades were to only drop to a couple of B's, I wouldn't really mind it cuz it means I'm getting done a bit sooner as well. I mean it's already going to take me another 5 years MINIMUM on top of the year I've already completed. I got a family to think about in terms of finances. Plus my grants will only cover me for 6 years max. If I only take 3 classes EVERY semester then I'll go over that and put a lot more loans than necessary on as well. I'm really hoping my income will improve in the next couple years so maybe I can cut my work hours back. That or my wife can get a job and help out. But those things take time and I can't be certain those things will happen. I have to take advantage of the opportunities I have now. But I still don't know what I'm going to do either way. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon xD

Idk I mean I just handled 4 classes and even got all A's. Even if my grades were to only drop to a couple of B's, I wouldn't really mind it cuz it means I'm getting done a bit sooner as well. I mean it's already going to take me another 5 years MINIMUM on top of the year I've already completed. I got a family to think about in terms of finances. Plus my grants will only cover me for 6 years max. If I only take 3 classes EVERY semester then I'll go over that and put a lot more loans than necessary on as well. I'm really hoping my income will improve in the next couple years so maybe I can cut my work hours back. That or my wife can get a job and help out. But those things take time and I can't be certain those things will happen. I have to take advantage of the opportunities I have now. But I still don't know what I'm going to do either way. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon xD

Ah, I see now.  I wasn't taking your possible life situation into account before my original post.  In your situation, you may actually want to consider taking 4 courses, or at least see how it goes.  Even if you sacrifice your grades a little, at least you're accomplishing your goals.  However, you mentioned your family and I wonder if taking on that additional class alongside working full time will mean that you won't get to spend any time with them?  I know how massively important that is, and I would hate for you to miss out on that.  I'm sure you're already taking this into consideration, but, well, I fully support the option of getting your degree a little later if it means not missing out on family time that's irreplaceable.

Either way, I wish you all the best!

Ah, I see now.  I wasn't taking your possible life situation into account before my original post.  In your situation, you may actually want to consider taking 4 courses, or at least see how it goes.  Even if you sacrifice your grades a little, at least you're accomplishing your goals.  However, you mentioned your family and I wonder if taking on that additional class alongside working full time will mean that you won't get to spend any time with them?  I know how massively important that is, and I would hate for you to miss out on that.  I'm sure you're already taking this into consideration, but, well, I fully support the option of getting your degree a little later if it means not missing out on family time that's irreplaceable.

Either way, I wish you all the best!

I do worry about that, but honestly I don't have the money to spend time doing anything that awesome with them at the moment xD I look forward to the day my career gives me weekday shifts and weekends off, as well as the money to go bowling or to the movies or out to eat with my family. Which I can't do until I complete my degree :P So all in all, I see it as an investment/sacrifice for good things to come.

Oh, God, I'm so glad there's a thread like this. Watch out, this post might go on for a bit because I have a TON of anxieties relating to college.

So, I've never really performed well in school because of my all-consuming dread of face-to-face interaction, and therefore I was forced to leave high school and pursue alternative schools. I tried online, but I wasn't disciplined enough, and I tried an extension school but that was also too much for me to keep up with. So, I'm currently studying for my GED. I'm doing well on that front, since I'm a great tester, so that's all well, at least.

My problem is, where do I go from there? Should I just go to a community college and get a 2-year degree from there? That would definitely give me at least something to show to 4-year colleges and universities if I wanted to go to one of those, since I stopped attending high school at the beginning of sophomore year.

Another problem I have is, I have NO IDEA what I want to do. My interests, opinions, and self image flip flop incredibly often because I'm mentally ill (I am seeing a therapist, and it is helping, but it's not something that will just be fixed or go away) so I literally do not know. Some things I'm interested in I would hate to do as a job, and other things I don't know if I'd be any good or not. I consider things like being a hair stylist/makeup artist, a cameraman, a chef or a waiter, but then I also think about things like oceanography, marine biology, and I'm not sure how I'd ever be successful at any of those things. I was dead-set on doing my best to become a psychiatrist once, but I'm incredibly critical of myself and I've basically knocked down a lot of my hope for that, and since that happened I've been unsure of what in the world I should do with myself.

The only thing I can think of I've genuinely enjoyed my whole life is gaming. But, I can't really make a living just sitting around playing videogames. Society and my family push me and tell me I need to have a good education to be successful.

Sorry for the info dump/text wall, I just honestly would appreciate advice and this is all pretty relevant to my problems.

Oh, God, I'm so glad there's a thread like this. Watch out, this post might go on for a bit because I have a TON of anxieties relating to college.

So, I've never really performed well in school because of my all-consuming dread of face-to-face interaction, and therefore I was forced to leave high school and pursue alternative schools. I tried online, but I wasn't disciplined enough, and I tried an extension school but that was also too much for me to keep up with. So, I'm currently studying for my GED. I'm doing well on that front, since I'm a great tester, so that's all well, at least.

My problem is, where do I go from there? Should I just go to a community college and get a 2-year degree from there? That would definitely give me at least something to show to 4-year colleges and universities if I wanted to go to one of those, since I stopped attending high school at the beginning of sophomore year.

Another problem I have is, I have NO IDEA what I want to do. My interests, opinions, and self image flip flop incredibly often because I'm mentally ill (I am seeing a therapist, and it is helping, but it's not something that will just be fixed or go away) so I literally do not know. Some things I'm interested in I would hate to do as a job, and other things I don't know if I'd be any good or not. I consider things like being a hair stylist/makeup artist, a cameraman, a chef or a waiter, but then I also think about things like oceanography, marine biology, and I'm not sure how I'd ever be successful at any of those things. I was dead-set on doing my best to become a psychiatrist once, but I'm incredibly critical of myself and I've basically knocked down a lot of my hope for that, and since that happened I've been unsure of what in the world I should do with myself.

The only thing I can think of I've genuinely enjoyed my whole life is gaming. But, I can't really make a living just sitting around playing videogames. Society and my family push me and tell me I need to have a good education to be successful.

Sorry for the info dump/text wall, I just honestly would appreciate advice and this is all pretty relevant to my problems.

I totally agree; this is easily my favorite thread on this entire website, and it's not even KH related.  Okay so as for the 2-year/4-year dilemma a good idea would be to see if there is a nearby 2-year college that has credits that actually transfer to a 4-year college.  This way you spend the first 2 years kind of getting a good grip on how college is gonna go.  It's what I'm doing (haven't transferred yet) and so far it's worked well.  Of course there are a number of personal things to consider; like your financial security, family, etc.  But I'll leave that up to you.  As for not knowing what you want to do; don't worry immediately.  Sometimes it takes a while to figure it out, that's normal.  At this point an important step would be to look at all the potential careers that could come as a result of the majors you're interested it.  Keep in mind that any research you do will likely show the average outlook for that major, and that your personal experience could differ from that, positively or negatively.

Since you like video games, you could consider doing something like youtube as a hobby, and that could potentially evolve into something.  Additionally, you could consider trying indie game development, if you're interested in the creative side of things.    

Different people go to college for different reasons.  Some people go to get a degree in something they love.  Some people go to get a degree in something that's likely going to put them in a good financial situation.  

I also want to mention that college is a daunting experience, and it can wear on you emotionally.  I have a friend of mine that failed his first year because of things that were going on his personal life.  Please make sure that you aren't going to end up harming yourself, physically or otherwise.

So thankfully, after a move and taking a semester off, I have managed to transfer both my credits and financial aid, and I'm all set to start my summer classes today!  This is a huge relief and a joy, since it was such a chore trying to get everything established.  This summer I'll be taking: American Goverment, Social Implications of Computer Tech, as well as an Algebra prep course.  I've been procrastinating math since I'm so terrible at it, but with a great amount of help I've received as of late from a very special person  I managed to score much higher than I would've normally.  It's good to be back in, and I'm looking forward to actually making some real progress towards my degree!

Also, out of curiosity: what is everyone's favorite study setting?  For me, personally, I do best when  I'm not studying at home because my mind tends to wander and I focus too much on things which I shouldn't be.  Plus, let's face it: I find it gloomy to study at home.

I do worry about that, but honestly I don't have the money to spend time doing anything that awesome with them at the moment xD I look forward to the day my career gives me weekday shifts and weekends off, as well as the money to go bowling or to the movies or out to eat with my family. Which I can't do until I complete my degree :P So all in all, I see it as an investment/sacrifice for good things to come.

Many kudos to you for your dedication and hard work.  I'm sure that means so much to your family right now.  That is a very tricky situation to be in in terms of finances and not having the funds to do that.  Out of curiosity, have you checked with your wife on what she thinks concerning your job and class schedule?  Is she concerned about not seeing enough of you, or is she eager to work to help out so you can work less and focus on school?  Reading how your family feels about it will probably help most in your decision, along with your own gut feeling.  Either way, good luck, and I commend you on being more disciplined and focused than myself.

No worries about all of the information.  You just wanted to convey the situation you're in so that we can properly access and advice. : )

Out of curiosity, have you discussed any of this with your therapist?  Perhaps he/she could have some suggestions for you concerning how to handle the situation and what you should work toward.  I really feel for your predicament, as my story, while different, is incredibly similar.  Sadly I still am not sure what I would like to go into even though I'm in my sophomore year of college, but right now I'm focusing on the basics and hoping to find my field of interest.  Like you, I have a passion for video games and also a great interest in psychology because I love helping and working with others.  However, I'm leaning away from psychology myself because most jobs require a Master's degree (6 years) and I also feel that one must be emotionally stable to perform well in such a job.  Being constantly on the fritz, that's not me. : P

So, what I would suggest for you is get involved in a community college, preferably in-person than online, and just go for your basics right now.  If in person you'll find opportunities to meet people like yourself and possibly be able to open up and relate to others, and you'll probably also find that in-person classes are so much easier to learn from than online.  Also, college is a very different setting from high school because you have so many age groups tied in and the professors will treat you like an adult.  You might be surprised and find that you enjoy it. : )  I wouldn't be too worried if you don't know what you go into yet.  I think as you take courses and try things out that you'll likely find something that calls out to you.  If not, talk to us again and we'll see what we can do to help!  I wish you all the best. : )

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I really appreciate it, and the support.

Out of curiosity, have you discussed any of this with your therapist?  Perhaps he/she could have some suggestions for you concerning how to handle the situation and what you should work toward. 

I have very briefly, but not in depth. I'll make sure I'll bring it up next time I see her!

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I really appreciate it, and the support.

I have very briefly, but not in depth. I'll make sure I'll bring it up next time I see her!

That may be a good idea.  Just to get a second opinion from someone who knows what you've been through. : )   Also, I meant to comment on this before but forgot at the time, but it shouldn't be a problem if you have a GED over a diploma.  They're equivalent, and it seems that it's mostly people who look poorly on it and not the schools.  So long as your scores are good on both it should be fine.  I had to graduate with a GED because I was homeschooled and a diploma was not available, and it was no problem at all to get in.  I've heard others having similar experiences with the GED, though, so I think it's generally accepted. : )  The good news is that once you're in college no one really cares about what type of diploma you hold, so long as it's a graduation certificate of general education.

There are 2 paychecks you cash in at the end of the month. One is a money check, the other is your happiness.

Okay, this is seriously the best quote I've ever seen on this website. I love this, and if I hadn't already picked out a senior quote I would've asked you if I could use it. This is an awesome way to put things into perspective. ^_^

Just wanted to let you know that.

Okay, this is seriously the best quote I've ever seen on this website. I love this, and if I hadn't already picked out a senior quote I would've asked you if I could use it. This is an awesome way to put things into perspective. ^_^

Just wanted to let you know that.

Thanks xD I heard my pharmacy manager say it once(although I don't think he actually believes it, I think he just said it to sound wise lmao). I actually used it on my essay on my placement test when I applied for college and I placed college level in English so yeah lol

BEHOLD THE HOLY GRAIL

http://www.textbooks.com/

I recently found this website and was able to get my Java Programming textbook for 90 bucks whereas my college is selling the book for 150 bucks. I was also able to sell my old Psychology textbook on this website for 90 bucks 8)

Now not every deal is a great deal they were only gonna give me 8 bucks for my Western Civilization book lol But look around on it before going to your college's bookstore and getting your books, you might save some money.

And also I might be getting an invitation to be in Phi Theta Kappa, the national honors society! In order to get in, you have to have a 3.5 gpa or higher as well as having completed at least 12 credits of college level courses. Then you will get a letter, instructing you on how to "apply." Then if accepted, you get inducted and in order to maintain your membership you have to complete 10 hours a year of community service or service to your community college as well as maintain that 3.5 gpa or higher. I e-mailed the adviser at my school for the honors society asking why I may have not received a letter since I meet the eligibility requirements and she said that I should expect a letter in September or October :D This would open me up to being elligible to apply for a ton of transfer scholarships once I transfer to a 4 year university as well as a membership seal being stamped on my college transcript. I'll get a gold pin and their website claims that if I got a federal job after college I would actually get an entry level pay raise just for being a member xD

Edited by Queen Tery

I'm thinking about studying english at the university next year. I don't know much about how the educational system in the US works, but i guess the uni and college is kind of the same thing right?

I'm thinking about studying english at the university next year. I don't know much about how the educational system in the US works, but i guess the uni and college is kind of the same thing right?

Like university and college? Yeah they're the same lol

Pretty much, yeah. A university is typically very big (tens of thousands of students) and is usually a state school. A college can fit the same definition as university, but can also apply to much smaller schools (just a few thousand students) and privately run schools. On the contrary, I've never seen university in the name of a private school or in the name of a very small school. At least, that's in my experience.

Pretty much, yeah. A university is typically very big (tens of thousands of students) and is usually a state school. A college can fit the same definition as university, but can also apply to much smaller schools (just a few thousand students) and privately run schools. On the contrary, I've never seen university in the name of a private school or in the name of a very small school. At least, that's in my experience.

Carnegie Mellon University is a private school :P and Harvard University.

Tens of thousands...Well, the university in my city has got about 15k students. It's one of the country's largest actually.It's owned by the state and is free of charge.

Tens of thousands...Well, the university in my city has got about 15k students. It's one of the country's largest actually.It's owned by the state and is free of charge.

I just looked it up and I guess in terms of the number of students, University of Central Florida is the largest in the US with approximately 51,000 students xD

First off; Hello - please to meet you!

I did Physical Therapy as an undergrad and worked around in a few hospitals for a bit to gain some clinical experience and knowledge; currently I'm in my second year of post-grad medicine.

I just got my results for my recent subjects:

Microbiology: HD

Immunology: HD

Physiology: HD

General Psychology and Biostatistics: HD

The sheer amount of reading is inexplicable; but I learn a lot from it and I love all the knowledge I get from my course.

I want to go into General Practise after I graduate, and possibly some Cardiology or Dermatology.

Edited by catmaster0116