Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Queen Tery

College life

So I've got my first semester schedule finalized at this point:

• Intro to Computer Science w/Lab ('cause that's the field I'm thinking about going into)
  • Spanish 200 level (I tested out of the foreign language requirements, but decided to keep going porque me gusta español)
  • Myth of the Self-Made American (its a required freshman writing course, I tested out of the first semester version, so I get to take the next level early. All of them had very different subject areas, but this is the one that I could fit in)
  • Financial Survival (an optional one credit class that I decided to take, because I know next to nothing about managing finances or basically "adulting" in general)
  • Computer Ethics (my school has a different layout for semesters, splitting them into a 12 week section and a 3 week section, and normally you only take one class in the 3 week section. This is my 3 week class, part of the requirements for a CompSci degree).

I have three classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and one class each on Tuesday and Thursday, earliest class starting at 8:30AM and latest class ending at 3:45 (note that those two aren't on the same day). I do kinda worry about having my three heaviest classes all on the same days, but I'm fairly confident I can handle it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm commuting so I'll be living at home, which is about a 10 minute drive. I'm not exactly excited about college, but not dreading it either. I guess you could say I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

Edited by DragonMaster

So I've got my first semester schedule finalized at this point:

• Intro to Computer Science w/Lab ('cause that's the field I'm thinking about going into)
  • Spanish 200 level (I tested out of the foreign language requirements, but decided to keep going porque me gusta español)
  • Myth of the Self-Made American (its a required freshman writing course, I tested out of the first semester version, so I get to take the next level early. All of them had very different subject areas, but this is the one that I could fit in)
  • Financial Survival (an optional one credit class that I decided to take, because I know next to nothing about managing finances or basically "adulting" in general)
  • Computer Ethics (my school has a different layout for semesters, splitting them into a 12 week section and a 3 week section, and normally you only take one class in the 3 week section. This is my 3 week class, part of the requirements for a CompSci degree).

I have three classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and one class each on Tuesday and Thursday, earliest class starting at 8:30AM and latest class ending at 3:45 (note that those two aren't on the same day). I do kinda worry about having my three heaviest classes all on the same days, but I'm fairly confident I can handle it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm commuting so I'll be living at home, which is about a 10 minute drive. I'm not exactly excited about college, but not dreading it either. I guess you could say I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

Oh, you're not too different from me! Did compsci (this Computer Ethics too) while also continuing to study Spanish simply because I loved it so much. You definitely shouldn't be dreading college it is an amazing experience, one of the best you'll ever have if you do it right! 

Oh, you're not too different from me! Did compsci (this Computer Ethics too) while also continuing to study Spanish simply because I loved it so much. You definitely shouldn't be dreading college it is an amazing experience, one of the best you'll ever have if you do it right! 

I've just always had a hard time adapting to new social settings, but I think I've grown enough throughout high school that I'll be able to handle it. I guess I just psych myself out too much, and I've always been the "expect the worst hope for the best" type. Thanks for the reassurance, nice to hear someone doing the same stuff had a good time. :D

I've just always had a hard time adapting to new social settings, but I think I've grown enough throughout high school that I'll be able to handle it. I guess I just psych myself out too much, and I've always been the "expect the worst hope for the best" type. Thanks for the reassurance, nice to hear someone doing the same stuff had a good time. :D

Oh definitely, you'll handle it just fine. That's coming from me, I was the worst when it came to making friends but in college it happened so naturally. You're surrounded with like-minded people and all that high school stuff (popularity, social status, who's a nerd, who's a cool kid, blah blah) doesn't matter. No one cares. People just want you to be who you are and they'll love you for it. Sorry for making it sound so cheesy but it's true. To not make friends in college you'd have to deliberately push everyone away like set someone on fire. Anyway, you're welcome! Enjoy it the way I know you will. :)Oh, oh, one last thing: it might take a while to get into the groove of things. Maybe a few weeks. Don't let it phase you, by the end of the first semester it'll all be ok. And who knows maybe from the first week you'll already have found your friends and gotten to know your way around. :)

Oh definitely, you'll handle it just fine. That's coming from me, I was the worst when it came to making friends but in college it happened so naturally. You're surrounded with like-minded people and all that high school stuff (popularity, social status, who's a nerd, who's a cool kid, blah blah) doesn't matter. No one cares. People just want you to be who you are and they'll love you for it. Sorry for making it sound so cheesy but it's true. To not make friends in college you'd have to deliberately push everyone away like set someone on fire. Anyway, you're welcome! Enjoy it the way I know you will. :)Oh, oh, one last thing: it might take a while to get into the groove of things. Maybe a few weeks. Don't let it phase you, by the end of the first semester it'll all be ok. And who knows maybe from the first week you'll already have found your friends and gotten to know your way around. :)

That sounds really good actually. ^_^ It took me two years to make friends in high school, and after that the next two went so quickly. From the people I've met from my school, they've all been super cool (I toured a few different schools, and this one is the only place where a current student walked up to me and welcomed me). Honestly, it's only the social aspects that I've been worried about, since I've always been confident in my academics.

Thanks for telling me all this, it actually is very reassuring. :D

I know this isn't exactly about college but I think it could be a useful tip for many of you who are now breaking into adult life. If any of you have a credit card or are thinking about getting one, or maybe even haven't thought about getting one, this applies to you. In order to build a good credit score so that you can get an apartment, eventually get a loan on a car or a mortgage on a house, you have to use a credit card. There are many options out there, especially online, you just have to be careful you don't get scammed by going onto a fake website or something. Anyway, a lot of credit cards have benefits where you get cash back on purchases you make. Credit cards for beginners usually have a small 1 percent back deal. So say you buy something that's 100 bucks and then you pay it off at the end of the month you get a dollar back. Not a lot I know, but it adds up. And that's where the tip comes in. If you put your regular monthly bills on the card that you ALREADY have the money for, such as gas, vehicle insurance, groceries, etc you will not only build your credit score but also get the cash back thus saving money. Then at the end of the month when the bill comes you just pay it off like you would've had you not had the credit card in the first place. That way you don't get interest on it. They recommend you don't spend more than 30 percent of your credit limit. So if you get a credit card with a 300 dollar limit and then spend $100 each month of bills you already have anyway, you can get a dollar back each month. As your credit limit goes up and you can put more of your monthly bills on there, you'll get more back. Some credit cards even have 3 percent back on gas or 6 percent back on groceries. Let's say you only get 2 dollars back each month, in a year you have over 20 bucks just sitting on your card that you would've spent. It may sound a bit tedious for so little but when you're out of college and your credit limit's higher and your bills are higher, it wouldn't be that difficult to end up with around 25 bucks back at the end of the month in cash back on a 1 percent back credit card. Plus you're building and maintaining a good credit score that way. If you get into the habit now, you'll have an easier time later!~ 

Edited by Queen Tery

It's been a while since I've posted over here.  How is everyone enjoying their summer?  Are you all ready for your next semester in the fall?  My summer went well with college courses, and am now enrolled in four classes for the fall: algebra, philosophy, public speaking, and religion.  I thought that the religion and philosophy courses would be a fine idea since finding myself--as well as my faith--have been two great things of interest to me.

I know this isn't exactly about college but I think it could be a useful tip for many of you who are now breaking into adult life. If any of you have a credit card or are thinking about getting one, or maybe even haven't thought about getting one, this applies to you. In order to build a good credit score so that you can get an apartment, eventually get a loan on a car or a mortgage on a house, you have to use a credit card. There are many options out there, especially online, you just have to be careful you don't get scammed by going onto a fake website or something. Anyway, a lot of credit cards have benefits where you get cash back on purchases you make. Credit cards for beginners usually have a small 1 percent back deal. So say you buy something that's 100 bucks and then you pay it off at the end of the month you get a dollar back. Not a lot I know, but it adds up. And that's where the tip comes in. If you put your regular monthly bills on the card that you ALREADY have the money for, such as gas, vehicle insurance, groceries, etc you will not only build your credit score but also get the cash back thus saving money. Then at the end of the month when the bill comes you just pay it off like you would've had you not had the credit card in the first place. That way you don't get interest on it. They recommend you don't spend more than 30 percent of your credit limit. So if you get a credit card with a 300 dollar limit and then spend $100 each month of bills you already have anyway, you can get a dollar back each month. As your credit limit goes up and you can put more of your monthly bills on there, you'll get more back. Some credit cards even have 3 percent back on gas or 6 percent back on groceries. Let's say you only get 2 dollars back each month, in a year you have over 20 bucks just sitting on your card that you would've spent. It may sound a bit tedious for so little but when you're out of college and your credit limit's higher and your bills are higher, it wouldn't be that difficult to end up with around 25 bucks back at the end of the month in cash back on a 1 percent back credit card. Plus you're building and maintaining a good credit score that way. If you get into the habit now, you'll have an easier time later!~ 

I entirely, wholeheartedly agree.  Guys, this is very sound advice!  A good credit score is almost essential when looking to purchase and/or rent bigger things in life, so go for it!

All I know about college is Ramen noodles and sprite.

Don't forget the coffee. : P

Edited by Mystics Apprentice

It's been a while since I've posted over here.  How is everyone enjoying their summer?  Are you all ready for your next semester in the fall?  My summer went well with college courses, and am now enrolled in four classes for the fall: algebra, philosophy, public speaking, and religion.  I thought that the religion and philosophy courses would be a fine idea since finding myself--as well as my faith--have been two great things of interest to me.

I entirely, wholeheartedly agree.  Guys, this is very sound advice!  A good credit score is almost essential when looking to purchase and/or rent bigger things in life, so go for it!

Don't forget the coffee. : P

I used my summer to try and get certified as a pharmacy technician. I took the exam last week and was told that I passed but that it was "unofficial" and I should know my official score soon. I start back to classes on the 24th and decided on doing 3 classes instead of 4. Java Programming, Pre-Calculus, and English 101. Right now I have too much going on to feel confident in taking that 4th class. I put in a job application to a hospital pharmacy in which if I get the job, I will be working seven 10 hour overnight shifts in a row then getting 7 days off, guaranteed every week. Which the 7 days straight is already going to be rough, but the possibility of added pay and a week off every other week is a great benefit. 

So I have a dilemma. I currently go to community college, HACC. At the end of my time at HACC I had initially planned to go to Penn State in Harrisburg. They're a pretty well known school and I don't think I'd have much trouble finding a job afterwards. Plus I hope to go to Carnegie Mellon University for my masters degree one day and Penn State would look pretty good imo. So the other day my family and I went up to check out the campus and it was pretty nice, but a little dull, probably partially to do with the summer and hardly anyone being there. Then today we went to this other school called Millersville University and I absolutely loved it there. I thought the campus looked great and I started thinking about wanting to go there. I looked into it and by transferring there, I may be able to finish my degree a year sooner(not sure yet, have to clarify with my advisor) and would ultimately save $25,000 in tuition as opposed to going to Penn State. But the problem is Millersville is not a very well known school. Getting into Carnegie later would be even more impossible than it already was to begin with lol Plus Penn State is ranked farrrrrr better as a computer school than Millersville is. Which I figured a solution to that is to get my bachelors at Millersville then maybe my Masters at Penn State but like I said, Carnegie may be more than impossible by that route. Anyone have any suggestions?

Millersville:                                                                                                            Penn State:

Cheaper tuition                                                                                                     More well known among other colleges and employers

Nicer campus                                                                                                        Possibly higher paying job or easier time finding a job

Finish my degree a year sooner(possibly)                                                            May make getting into Carnegie possible

So I have a dilemma. I currently go to community college, HACC. At the end of my time at HACC I had initially planned to go to Penn State in Harrisburg. They're a pretty well known school and I don't think I'd have much trouble finding a job afterwards. Plus I hope to go to Carnegie Mellon University for my masters degree one day and Penn State would look pretty good imo. So the other day my family and I went up to check out the campus and it was pretty nice, but a little dull, probably partially to do with the summer and hardly anyone being there. Then today we went to this other school called Millersville University and I absolutely loved it there. I thought the campus looked great and I started thinking about wanting to go there. I looked into it and by transferring there, I may be able to finish my degree a year sooner(not sure yet, have to clarify with my advisor) and would ultimately save $25,000 in tuition as opposed to going to Penn State. But the problem is Millersville is not a very well known school. Getting into Carnegie later would be even more impossible than it already was to begin with lol Plus Penn State is ranked farrrrrr better as a computer school than Millersville is. Which I figured a solution to that is to get my bachelors at Millersville then maybe my Masters at Penn State but like I said, Carnegie may be more than impossible by that route. Anyone have any suggestions?

Millersville:                                                                                                            Penn State:

Cheaper tuition                                                                                                     More well known among other colleges and employers

Nicer campus                                                                                                        Possibly higher paying job or easier time finding a job

Finish my degree a year sooner(possibly)                                                            May make getting into Carnegie possible

It seems that Millersville has more to offer than Penn State, especially with that price difference.  You'd be saving a LOT on tuition, and since funds are tight currently I'm sure that extra cash would be huge.  Of course, the thought of your degree not being as acknowledged by not going to a reputable school is concerning, but from what I understand it's not that big of an issue within the job field so long as you have a good GPA.  I'm sure it depends on what field you're majoring in, though, and what sort of job you're looking for.  Is Millersville a relatively new school, or perhaps a smaller one?  I would check out lots of reviews online and see what you can find out concerning its education and standings.  Personally I would probably opt to go with Millersville, especially since you like the campus better, will graduate earlier, and save money.  And, like you said, maybe you can get your Masters from Penn later.

On another note, has anyone ever checked out hpb.com for textbooks?  I saved a *lot* of money by purchasing my textbooks there, and the shipping is pretty fast.  I paid the same amount for four books that I would have for one alone, if you can imagine that.  I just need to figure out a better place to sell textbooks rather than eBay since those people charge an arm and a leg for listings. : P

Choices, choices.  I personally would go with Millersville, but (as mentioned by Mystics Apprentice) depending on your field and your expectations, you might want to stick with Penn State.  I'm not an employer, I've never hired anyone for anything, but if I see "Masters Degree" on a job application (as long as it's from any actual College/University) consider yourself in really good standing.

I started college this semester. Still not even a full week here, haven't really talked to anyone or made friends. Honestly, I'm finding it somewhat hard to focus on classes. I'm going for a Bachelor in Computer Science and Engineering, which according to might curriculum would take around 5 years, unless I take at least 4 credits per summer to speed it up. I'm feeling somewhat stressed over this, I don't know how college will go. I rushed my way through high school, skipped a grade, and now that I'm here, I wonder, where did my youth go? I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. The games I used to play, all the time I used to spend online - I can't do that now, my schedule is more complex than anything I'd ever had to do. It's not impossible to handle, not at all, I know that, but I'm feeling blocked, and honestly, I'm panicking. Life in college scares me.

I started college this semester. Still not even a full week here, haven't really talked to anyone or made friends. Honestly, I'm finding it somewhat hard to focus on classes. I'm going for a Bachelor in Computer Science and Engineering, which according to might curriculum would take around 5 years, unless I take at least 4 credits per summer to speed it up. I'm feeling somewhat stressed over this, I don't know how college will go. I rushed my way through high school, skipped a grade, and now that I'm here, I wonder, where did my youth go? I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. The games I used to play, all the time I used to spend online - I can't do that now, my schedule is more complex than anything I'd ever had to do. It's not impossible to handle, not at all, I know that, but I'm feeling blocked, and honestly, I'm panicking. Life in college scares me.

It's easy to stress out right at the start.  It will get easier to manage the stress over time (ideally, anyway).   Remember this thread is always here for help.Of course I don't know your exact schedule, but odds are you will have more time on your hands than it initially seems.  The only way to really know is to stick with it.  

It seems that Millersville has more to offer than Penn State, especially with that price difference.  You'd be saving a LOT on tuition, and since funds are tight currently I'm sure that extra cash would be huge.  Of course, the thought of your degree not being as acknowledged by not going to a reputable school is concerning, but from what I understand it's not that big of an issue within the job field so long as you have a good GPA.  I'm sure it depends on what field you're majoring in, though, and what sort of job you're looking for.  Is Millersville a relatively new school, or perhaps a smaller one?  I would check out lots of reviews online and see what you can find out concerning its education and standings.  Personally I would probably opt to go with Millersville, especially since you like the campus better, will graduate earlier, and save money.  And, like you said, maybe you can get your Masters from Penn later.

On another note, has anyone ever checked out hpb.com for textbooks?  I saved a *lot* of money by purchasing my textbooks there, and the shipping is pretty fast.  I paid the same amount for four books that I would have for one alone, if you can imagine that.  I just need to figure out a better place to sell textbooks rather than eBay since those people charge an arm and a leg for listings. : P

They're not a new school, they've been around since the 1800s lol I didn't really think of them as a small school either, we kept being surprised thinking we had seen the whole campus and then something new would pop up. They're not a very high ranked computer science school and they're an average ranked school in general. Most of the people I've spoken to seem to say similar things. My mom's fiance thinks I'm smart enough that where I get my education isn't so much important as to what I do with it once I have it and that this is probably the better choice for my family, especially if I'm happier at that campus. One of my pharmacists thinks that if it means getting done quicker then Millersville is the obvious choice. On the other hand my pharmacy manager thinks that with how well known Penn State is, that Penn State is the far better choice. Overall, I think I'm getting a little more advice saying Millersville is the choice and I'd have to say that my gut instinct kinda agrees lol I think I'm leaning toward Millersville. 

Choices, choices.  I personally would go with Millersville, but (as mentioned by Mystics Apprentice) depending on your field and your expectations, you might want to stick with Penn State.  I'm not an employer, I've never hired anyone for anything, but if I see "Masters Degree" on a job application (as long as it's from any actual College/University) consider yourself in really good standing.

I definitely plan on getting my masters. Whether I get one in business or software is more the question lol Everyone keeps saying where I get my masters is far more important there where I get my bachelors so idk.

Definitely understand that feeling lol Being young with a kid and wife and trying to get through school on a low income has definitely made me feel stressed out and like my youth is gone. But here's the thing, you've been there a week, you have plenty of time to make friends later.  Honestly, skipping a grade and getting started sooner, can be a positive thing. It's all about perspective. By getting started sooner, you have an opportunity to get started on your young adult life and make friends that you actually have the freedom to hang out with them. In high school you're bound by that set schedule. College, you make your own. Just try to relax and focus on getting focused :P Once you have that, then worry about the social aspect. Thing is, you're still young and as you get further along in college and even after college, you'll have more time and money to invest in friends and your youth. Going to the movies, traveling, going out to eat, video games(expeeeeennnnssssiiiiiive), etc. is a lot easier when you have a financially stable job.

Rant below about college books, apologies ahead of time.

I'm sorry but I have just got to get this mini-rant out.

College is expensive enough as it is, I'm already for sure going to be at least 40k in debt after I graduate.  But why oh sweet baby jesus why are college books so expensive on top of everything else.

I purchased 4 textbooks today for about $200, which is a relatively good price based on my experience.  However, the last textbook I need is about $300, in used condition; more than literally all other textbooks I have already purchased for this semester combined.  The best part?  There's a class manual created by the professor that is specifically created for this course that is only sold with the textbook in the school bookstore.  Of course meaning that ordering the book online for a much cheaper price of $50 is no longer an option.  

Sorry again, I really try to avoid just ranting about stuff, but I mean come on.  This is just nonsense.

On another note, I found a pretty rad website for scholarship searching and whatnot.  The url is literally just www.scholarships.com.  Hopefully someone will find it useful. :D 

Edited by PillowHead

Rant below about college books, apologies ahead of time.

I'm sorry but I have just got to get this mini-rant out.

College is expensive enough as it is, I'm already for sure going to be at least 40k in debt after I graduate.  But why oh sweet baby jesus why are college books so expensive on top of everything else.

I purchased 4 textbooks today for about $200, which is a relatively good price based on my experience.  However, the last textbook I need is about $300, in used condition; more than literally all other textbooks I have already purchased for this semester combined.  The best part?  There's a class manual created by the professor that is specifically created for this course that is only sold with the textbook in the school bookstore.  Of course meaning that ordering the book online for a much cheaper price of $50 is no longer an option.  

Sorry again, I really try to avoid just ranting about stuff, but I mean come on.  This is just nonsense.

On another note, I found a pretty rad website for scholarship searching and whatnot.  The url is literally just www.scholarships.com.  Hopefully someone will find it useful. :D

Could you maybe look into buying a used copy off of someone who took the class in the previous semester? If you go on facebook a lot of schools' students will create facebook pages for students and on my school's page, the students post books to sell to each other. If you can get it cheaper from a previous student I'd imagine you'd also get the manual with the book as well.

Could you maybe look into buying a used copy off of someone who took the class in the previous semester? If you go on facebook a lot of schools' students will create facebook pages for students and on my school's page, the students post books to sell to each other. If you can get it cheaper from a previous student I'd imagine you'd also get the manual with the book as well.

Unfortunately the manual is actually more of a workbook (I misunderstood what it was earlier), so the students that previously owned it would have written in it for homework, classwork, etc.  Thanks for the tip about facebook though!

My major is computer programming and I still haven't picked a minor (#Procrastination) and i love my campus #MCRaptors

Though I decided to be lazy this semester

Monday,

Math: 1:00 -2:15 pm

English: 6:00 - 8:15 pm

Tuesday,

Digital Art: 6:00 -11:15 pm

Wednesday,

English: 6:00 - 8:15 pm