Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Queen Tery

College life

I'm kind of enjoying college so far, but chemistry class is difficult. The professor doesn't give many explanations and the test last week made me cry. :

to back up Queen tery:

Posted Image

just finished the 1st week of college all the instructors were awesome! and everyone is nice. The assignments were pretty okay we didn't do any quizzes/test yet.

to back up Queen tery:

Posted Image

just finished the 1st week of college all the instructors were awesome! and everyone is nice. The assignments were pretty okay we didn't do any quizzes/test yet.

Lucky you; I have my 1st Java test this Wednesday, 2nd Java quiz tomorrow, 2nd Pre-Calculus quiz in a week and 1st Pre-Calculus test the day after that lol

Hey everybody, it's been a little while, so I just wanted to see how it's going so far for you all?  For me things have been alright, 4 weeks in and we're just now really getting into things for the majority of my classes.

Hey everybody, it's been a little while, so I just wanted to see how it's going so far for you all?  For me things have been alright, 4 weeks in and we're just now really getting into things for the majority of my classes.

It's been good. a little frustrated about my groupmates but other than that pretty good.

Really? wow we got into things by the 2nd week.

And... Prelims are on October 6-7 so I'm kinda excited by that

Half way through the semester on my end. How about everyone else? I have an A in Java and a B in Pre-Calculus according to my mid term grades. English hasn't been posted yet. I made deans list for last semester and my Phi Theta Kappa honor society induction is one week from today.

Half way through the semester on my end. How about everyone else? I have an A in Java and a B in Pre-Calculus according to my mid term grades. English hasn't been posted yet. I made deans list for last semester and my Phi Theta Kappa honor society induction is one week from today.

Absolutely killin' it man.  Keep it up and you'll make us all look like slackers.  

I'm about halfway as well. My midterm grades were all A's, so I'm pretty happy. We've finally gotten past the basic level stuff in Computer Science (so we're done with learning about binary and memory and registers and all that) and we've gotten to HTML and Javascript. Next week we're going to be making Android apps with an online app creator (MIT App Inventor).

I'm not super good with HTML or any of the programming type stuff that we've done, but I think its pretty fun. Kinda like puzzle solving. We used this program called Scratch (uses a click and drag system with blocks that represent different types of code) and I made Pokemon catching game. Took me around 12 hours (at least 5 of which was trying to fix the bugs), but I didn't get too frustrated.

My other classes are eh. My writing class is based on a topic I don't especially care for (the idea of the American dream, basically), but the professor and students are all great. And my Spanish class has just been a ton of stuff I did in high school grammar wise, though we have learned some different vocabulary.

College is pretty chill. I must say I enjoy college more than high school :D

prelims are done and I got all A's, since my uni. is doing a trimester thingy each semester lasts only about 3 months and 1 week. so midterms are on November 9 and 10 and finals will be on December 11 and 12.

Well tonight I went to my school's Homecoming dance... rave... thing. I wasn't going to go, but two people I met this week convinced me to go. I was uncomfortable at first, but I ended up having an okay time. It wasn't super fun, but probably the most fun I've had with people that I barely know. I'm glad I went, at any rate.

Was funny, there were people dressed up super fancy, and there were people like me, just wearing jeans. xD

Saw someone I knew from high school as well. She graduated a year before me. She's dating one of my coworkers. Was actually kinda funny, she introduced us to each other, so he comes up to shake my hand and says "Hi there, I'm you're boss." Then we both just turn and smile at her. (Maybe that's not that funny if you weren't there, I dunno. I enjoyed it at least.)

It's going pretty well.  So far I have all A's, but I'm stressing out about my public speaking class.  I've turned it into an A from a B, but I'm just having such a hard time with this subject.  I get so stressed out when I hear that a speech is coming up, and three days prior to a speech I almost can't handle the anxiety.  I'm constantly reciting my speech (even in my sleep : P), and freaking out over the possibility of screwing up in front of my audience.  It's strange because I'm normally a pretty collected person and greatly enjoy speaking to strangers and others.  It's just for some reason speeches stress me out BAD.  I'm always terrified that I'm going to forget what I was going to say, even with note cards.

Moving on, I'm greatly enjoying my other classes, and am thinking to even take trigonometry next year even if I was opposed to math at first.  My algebra course has quickly become my favorite out of the others.  I'm also taking philosophy and studies of the Old Testament, both of which are going quite nicely and I enjoy them.

Great job on that B in Pre-calc, Queen Tery!  That's no easy subject.  Calculus sort of blows my mind at this point. : P

I'm about halfway as well. My midterm grades were all A's, so I'm pretty happy. We've finally gotten past the basic level stuff in Computer Science (so we're done with learning about binary and memory and registers and all that) and we've gotten to HTML and Javascript. Next week we're going to be making Android apps with an online app creator (MIT App Inventor).

I'm not super good with HTML or any of the programming type stuff that we've done, but I think its pretty fun. Kinda like puzzle solving. We used this program called Scratch (uses a click and drag system with blocks that represent different types of code) and I made Pokemon catching game. Took me around 12 hours (at least 5 of which was trying to fix the bugs), but I didn't get too frustrated.

My other classes are eh. My writing class is based on a topic I don't especially care for (the idea of the American dream, basically), but the professor and students are all great. And my Spanish class has just been a ton of stuff I did in high school grammar wise, though we have learned some different vocabulary.

That dance sounds like it was probably a great amount of fun.  I'm glad that you went and joined your friends. : )  Also, kudos on the A's for all of your midterms.  That there is quite impressive.

So, how do you guys motivate yourselves to get through writing a paper? My writing class final is a 12 page research paper* and I just have no motivation to do it at all. Doing research isn't something I really enjoy anyway, but the subject of the class (and therefore the paper) is just not something that I've had any real interest in. I know my topic and have the essay planned (have a rough draft done, but it's only a third of the final product), and I have most if not all of the sources I'll need, but I just can't bring myself to actually get it done. Really need to find some motivation tactics early in the game, or I'm going to get eaten alive.

*I'm sure 12 pages isn't too bad when compared with what students have to write later on in college, but I'm pretty much fresh outta high school where I only ever had to write one research paper (which also happened to be the only paper I ever had to write that was over 10 pages). Starting to be really glad that my AP score got me out of taking a second freshman writing course next semester o_o

So, how do you guys motivate yourselves to get through writing a paper? My writing class final is a 12 page research paper* and I just have no motivation to do it at all. Doing research isn't something I really enjoy anyway, but the subject of the class (and therefore the paper) is just not something that I've had any real interest in. I know my topic and have the essay planned (have a rough draft done, but it's only a third of the final product), and I have most if not all of the sources I'll need, but I just can't bring myself to actually get it done. Really need to find some motivation tactics early in the game, or I'm going to get eaten alive.

*I'm sure 12 pages isn't too bad when compared with what students have to write later on in college, but I'm pretty much fresh outta high school where I only ever had to write one research paper (which also happened to be the only paper I ever had to write that was over 10 pages). Starting to be really glad that my AP score got me out of taking a second freshman writing course next semester o_o

Sounds like you've got quite the task ahead of you for that one, haha.  I don't know if this will work for you, but for my research papers I would start with a broad outline with maybe 5-7 points (just for example) and then go through each individual one and just write down everything I found even a little bit relevant to that point.  It helps if you can fool yourself into being passionate about the topic of research (or even better yet, you actually are passionate about it).  If you find that you run out of ideas to go off that you've created for yourself, then maybe consider writing based on the content of a source (if that makes sense?).  Of course the actual topic of your research may affect the difficulty of writing the paper as well.  Hope this helps and best of luck!

I am a music major student currently trying to earn my Bachelors degree. My areas of interest are music education and music therapy. I am hoping to earn a doctorate in music someday. I want to show people how music can be an enriching experience, whether you are learning how to play an instrument or simply listening to it. I would also like to explore how music can be used as a form of therapy for patients. It is going to be a long road, but I think it will be worth it in the end.  :smile:

I'm a video game design and programming major who also plans on gaining a degree on graphic design afterwards (since the basics for both are the same). My usual schedule consists of waking up, going to classes, eating, do homework, go home, sleep, wake up, shower, study and do homework, sleep, and repeat, while having chances in between to be on my mobile devices while I'm waiting for the next class. Next semester I will have to travel an hour to reach the only campus where the classes I need are given. My most difficult classes currently are Security and PC Ops due to the whole terminology that comes along with the studies.

When it comes to essays or projects that I have to do I just make up a playlist of instrumental, dramatic music to listen to and imagine that the fate of the world depends on me finishing it.

The only extracurricular activity I have time for is the Ping Pong club.

It's incredibly difficult to find the motivation for research.  To be honest research is one of my most disliked things about college, which is not a very good thing because almost every class requires quite a bit of research to the point that you can become very good at it. : P  What I find to help when I have to read or write a lot is going to my favorite coffee shop.  I don't do it very often, so it's really a treat when I do go, but I find that I can focus a lot better and get my required studies done when I have a delicious frappucino to slurp over while doing my research or writing my paper.  Also, I try to pick a time that I can dedicate hours to it and just get it all done at once.  I'm not very good at staggering things, but rather like to complete projects in a lumpsome.

Good luck, and I hope that you're able to get through the research okay!  It gets better as you get through college. : )

It's incredibly difficult to find the motivation for research.  To be honest research is one of my most disliked things about college, which is not a very good thing because almost every class requires quite a bit of research to the point that you can become very good at it. : P  What I find to help when I have to read or write a lot is going to my favorite coffee shop.  I don't do it very often, so it's really a treat when I do go, but I find that I can focus a lot better and get my required studies done when I have a delicious frappucino to slurp over while doing my research or writing my paper.  Also, I try to pick a time that I can dedicate hours to it and just get it all done at once.  I'm not very good at staggering things, but rather like to complete projects in a lumpsome.

Good luck, and I hope that you're able to get through the research okay!  It gets better as you get through college. : )

Hmm, a coffee shop might be nice. I know one in the town I went to high school in that's pretty nice (and only a short drive). Only thing is I that I might not get any work done if I run into someone I know. xD

I normally try to do things all at once too. I admit I've had opportunities where I could've this essay like that, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I have most of my research and have picked out most of the quotes and info I'll need, I've got an outline, and I've got a partial draft, but actually sitting down to write it is just dreadful. Admittedly I've also been a little lazy. *sigh* no choice but to get to it.

This semester was rough lol Still awaiting my final grades. I know I got an 89.3 in Java, so I'm pretty much in that position where I'm sweating it out waiting to find out if my professor is going to round up to an A or not.... Pre-Calculus is a definite B and I'm waiting to find out what my grade in English 101 is. How about everyone else? As of now, I'm on break til January 19th.

I finished finals yesterday :D now I'm on vacay till January 11. Our grades won't be out till after Christmas so I have no clue about my grades, I'm confident I didn't fail any subjects tho. I hope my grades are good enough to land me a spot on the deans list.

I finished finals yesterday :D now I'm on vacay till January 11. Our grades won't be out till after Christmas so I have no clue about my grades, I'm confident I didn't fail any subjects tho. I hope my grades are good enough to land me a spot on the deans list.

My grades get posted December 17th but the wait is still killing me xD

I'm a little surprised that most people are finished with finals and will be out for some time.  Mine end on Dec. 18th, and break ends on Jan. 11th.  It seems like a rather short break in comparison to my first college, but ah well.  It's entirely stressful, I'll admit, but I think that I should be getting As in all five classes if things go according to plan on one exam tomorrow.  I really look forward to the end of the semester!  It's been a long one.  What do you all have planned for break?  We're heading out of town for Christmas. : )

Is everyone ready to start this next semester soon?  What classes are you enrolled in?  I'm taking 13.5 credits myself, consisting of Calculus I, Nutrition, New Testament, Intro to Computer Science, and this half-credit college transitions course that I'm required to take in order to graduate from this particular school.  This looks like a long semester, namely since we're moving at the start of it and I'm probably going to be working, but it should be interesting.

Guys, I didn't make it. I'm not a Dean's Lister... because..

I'm a college scholar! :D I'm tingling! I didn't think I was good enough! but wow, what a pleasant surprise! I'm jumping around! yay!

Kudos to you!  Very exciting stuff, for sure. : )