Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Queen Tery

College life

Well its been awhile, since other people are posting grades I suppose I will too!

For my first semester I got A's in four of my classes, and I passed the Pass/No Credit course I took! The courses I took were Intro to Computer Science, Spanish 201, Myth of the Self-Made American (freshman writing class), Computer Ethics, and Financial Survival (this was the 1 credit Pass/No Credit class).

So yeah, super happy about that! ^_^

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll be able to maintain it this semester... The three main classes I'm taking are Intro to Java, Existentialism, and Political Parties and Interest Groups. I also have Basics of Creative Writing, but not until April (its a 3 week course). Existentialism is a 300 level course, but it had no per-requisites and my advisory said I should be able to handle it based on my past writings and grades, so I took it because it sounded interesting. I'm not the only first year in there, nor the only one who hasn't taken any other philosophy course, but I'm having a hard time contributing to class discussions simply because I can't think quick enough to say something before the conversation moves on.

As for the Political Science class... I'm never taking another PoliSci class again, I've already been able to decide. Not only is there a TON of reading (at least, compared to what I'm used to based on my first semester and AP English from high school), but it is the most mind-numbingly boring stuff I've ever tried to suffer through. I'm not worried about the papers for the class, but I already dread the exams. X_X  If anyone has any tips on how to effectively tackle large reading assignments, they would be greatly appreciated! :)

Java and Creative Writing I'm not worried about at all. Java has been really easy for me to pick up so far, and I work with a bunch of guys who know Java (plus, one of them is the TA for the class). And I'm already pretty good at creative writing, so...

Last semester I ended up with an A in Java, an A in English 101, and a B in Pre-Calculus. This semester I'm taking 13 credits. Computer Science I, Object Oriented Programming, Calculus I, and Discrete Mathematics. All of them are tough classes, but I think Calculus or Discrete Math are my toughest. I had a test in Calculus last Wednesday and I'm still awaiting my grade and I have a test in Discrete Math on Tuesday and a test in Computer Science I on Thursday. Right now my grades are 2 As and 2 Bs, but since it's still pretty early in the semester those grades aren't exactly accurate. Calculus could go up after this test(or down xD) and my Discrete Math grade is based only on a 20 point homework assignment that I got 17 points on. My programming courses are slightly more accurate, because I've turned in a few assignments already and gotten a decent amount of points, but the tests coming up will decide if those stay what they are lol

Hey, everyone!  It's been a while.  How is college going for everyone else thus far?  Me and my spouse just moved so it has been rather stressful to job hunt, get settled in our new place, and continue studying, but so far the semester is going well for me.  I have good grades right now, though I am hating my nutrition class.  Isn't it interesting how every semester a person is bound to get one class that they cannot stand? : P  However, I'm really enjoying calculus, even if it is a bit confusing, and my computer class is pretty simple since I already know how to use most of the software they're teaching.

Well its been awhile, since other people are posting grades I suppose I will too!

For my first semester I got A's in four of my classes, and I passed the Pass/No Credit course I took! The courses I took were Intro to Computer Science, Spanish 201, Myth of the Self-Made American (freshman writing class), Computer Ethics, and Financial Survival (this was the 1 credit Pass/No Credit class).

So yeah, super happy about that! ^_^

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'll be able to maintain it this semester... The three main classes I'm taking are Intro to Java, Existentialism, and Political Parties and Interest Groups. I also have Basics of Creative Writing, but not until April (its a 3 week course). Existentialism is a 300 level course, but it had no per-requisites and my advisory said I should be able to handle it based on my past writings and grades, so I took it because it sounded interesting. I'm not the only first year in there, nor the only one who hasn't taken any other philosophy course, but I'm having a hard time contributing to class discussions simply because I can't think quick enough to say something before the conversation moves on.

As for the Political Science class... I'm never taking another PoliSci class again, I've already been able to decide. Not only is there a TON of reading (at least, compared to what I'm used to based on my first semester and AP English from high school), but it is the most mind-numbingly boring stuff I've ever tried to suffer through. I'm not worried about the papers for the class, but I already dread the exams. X_X  If anyone has any tips on how to effectively tackle large reading assignments, they would be greatly appreciated! :)

Java and Creative Writing I'm not worried about at all. Java has been really easy for me to pick up so far, and I work with a bunch of guys who know Java (plus, one of them is the TA for the class). And I'm already pretty good at creative writing, so...

Oh, gosh, never take another political science class!  I took one over last summer and it was a dreadful thing.  Such long, dull, and tedious reading assignments, essays, and exams.  Thankfully the exams were open-book, but much of it couldn't be answered within the allotted time of the exam anyhow.  Kudos on getting all As in your first semester!  You are a very dedicated student, and with your persistence I am sure that you will be very successful throughout your college ventures. : )  As for tackling large reading assignments, I would suggest having a favorite beverage and pleasant light music playing in the background.  What I like to do is read the content first, and then skim over it again later to take additional notes.  Usually by reading first and relooking over it to jot notes helps solidify the information in my mind and also helps me understand where I need to prioritize my efforts.

Last semester I ended up with an A in Java, an A in English 101, and a B in Pre-Calculus. This semester I'm taking 13 credits. Computer Science I, Object Oriented Programming, Calculus I, and Discrete Mathematics. All of them are tough classes, but I think Calculus or Discrete Math are my toughest. I had a test in Calculus last Wednesday and I'm still awaiting my grade and I have a test in Discrete Math on Tuesday and a test in Computer Science I on Thursday. Right now my grades are 2 As and 2 Bs, but since it's still pretty early in the semester those grades aren't exactly accurate. Calculus could go up after this test(or down xD) and my Discrete Math grade is based only on a 20 point homework assignment that I got 17 points on. My programming courses are slightly more accurate, because I've turned in a few assignments already and gotten a decent amount of points, but the tests coming up will decide if those stay what they are lol

Hey, we're in two of the same classes (or at least I'm assuming that Intro to Computer Science and Computer Science I are the same class).  How are you enjoying calculus so far?  I think it's quite interesting, though I will admit that class alone is sapping a mass amount of time in comparison to my other classes.  Did you take trigonometry prior to Calc I?  I took college algebra and trig last semester but didn't take pre-calc.  I'm hoping that won't kick me in the butt later.

Hey, everyone!  It's been a while.  How is college going for everyone else thus far?  Me and my spouse just moved so it has been rather stressful to job hunt, get settled in our new place, and continue studying, but so far the semester is going well for me.  I have good grades right now, though I am hating my nutrition class.  Isn't it interesting how every semester a person is bound to get one class that they cannot stand? : P  However, I'm really enjoying calculus, even if it is a bit confusing, and my computer class is pretty simple since I already know how to use most of the software they're teaching.

Oh, gosh, never take another political science class!  I took one over last summer and it was a dreadful thing.  Such long, dull, and tedious reading assignments, essays, and exams.  Thankfully the exams were open-book, but much of it couldn't be answered within the allotted time of the exam anyhow.  Kudos on getting all As in your first semester!  You are a very dedicated student, and with your persistence I am sure that you will be very successful throughout your college ventures. : )  As for tackling large reading assignments, I would suggest having a favorite beverage and pleasant light music playing in the background.  What I like to do is read the content first, and then skim over it again later to take additional notes.  Usually by reading first and relooking over it to jot notes helps solidify the information in my mind and also helps me understand where I need to prioritize my efforts.

Hey, we're in two of the same classes (or at least I'm assuming that Intro to Computer Science and Computer Science I are the same class).  How are you enjoying calculus so far?  I think it's quite interesting, though I will admit that class alone is sapping a mass amount of time in comparison to my other classes.  Did you take trigonometry prior to Calc I?  I took college algebra and trig last semester but didn't take pre-calc.  I'm hoping that won't kick me in the butt later.

Technically my Java class last semester was the intro course, but all it really had to do with was the Java programming language. This course has to do with C++. It's a lot of the same concepts as in Java so we've blown through the first 6 chapters lol We're learning the syntax and concepts as well as practicing developing algorithms. Calculus is rough lol I did not have Trig and that is proving to be my biggest issue. I took Pre-Calc but it was basically a fast paced review of College Algebra and Trig, so if you had both of those I think you'll be fine. The trig part of Calculus is what's kicking my ass. Right now I have 3 B's and an A, the A being in Discrete Math. A guy in my class has offered to help me with the trig stuff so hopefully that helps. I wouldn't say any of my classes are sucking up any more time than the rest, but Discrete Math is definitely taking up the LEAST of my time lol Between C++ and my Object Oriented Programming class, I have two programming assignments per week and my Calc professor has us take a quiz EVERY class, which is twice a week. All the quizzes are graded. Fun, fun.

I'm starting up Uni again on Monday. x.x I actually failed a subject last year that I have to repeat in order to do my pre-clinical studies later this year, but other than that everything should be okay. :) To actually counteract that mistake, I did one subject over the summer ahead of time and I did pretty well! :D

Peace!

Edited by Yuya Sakaki

Assuming that all of you guys are in college, I want to ask the following question on here instead of making a post on it:How much time do have to play video games while in college? 

It depends on how busy the semester is for me. you know if you have a ton of paperworks due you don't really have the time to play video games and really you shouldn't be putting off school work just to play video games don't follow my example xD or else it's gonna be nerve wracking. It depends if you can manage your work really well though. If that's the case then you'll still have time to play even if the semester is quite busy. 

I gotta say I have a lot more free time now that I'm in college compared to when I was in high school, I get to play more often :D so yeah I still have a lot of time for video games even if I'm in college. If your asking for how many hours, I get off school at 1:45 P.M and I spend some time on homework and a couple of chores, so I'd say I play video games for about 6-7 hours. I get to bed around 10 P.M because 7:30 A.M classes :'D If you sleep really late then you get more time to play! :D

Edited by PieLuvah

Assuming that all of you guys are in college, I want to ask the following question on here instead of making a post on it:How much time do have to play video games while in college? 

I think it depends on how much you have going on while in college.  If it is strictly just college classes and you're taking 12-15 credits per semester, you will probably have your evenings free to game for several hours if you so choose.  It really depends on how organized you are and how diligent you are in your studies.  If tackling assignments on time and you don't have anything pressing due, you could probably game a fair amount.

If you have other obligations outside of college, however, things start to become more complicated.  Like if you're working and a college student you may have time to game for an hour some nights, and some nights not.  If you're running a house on your own or with your partner you'll have obligations to attend to such as cleaning, cooking, and whatnot, and if you exercise routinely that also will take time out of your schedule.  I'm in a situation where I have a lot of other things going on alongside college so I don't really have that much time to game.  Sometimes me and my spouse will play games for an hour or two in the evening, but not always.  It depends on my work hours as well as my current assignments.

In sum, if you're just in college you should be able to game just fine; just be sure to map out time for studies and get them out of the way beforehand so you'll have the pleasure of gaming without stress.  Good luck!

Final grades are in and I got 2 A's and 2 C's. My worst semester of college so far, grade-wise. I got the 2 A's in my computer science classes, C++ and Object-Oriented Programming and I got the C's in Discrete Math and Calculus. Between 13 credit hours, 30 hour work weeks, and moving I didn't really have as much time to study this semester especially for 2 classes I didn't really enjoy to begin with lol How did everyone else do?

Do university students count? owo

Anyway, I am currently in my first year, studying for a Bachelor of Engineering with my major being Robotics and Mechatronics. I am currently doing 4 units which are:

Introduction to Engineering Practice

Engineering Physics

Mathematics for Engineers Preliminary

Engineering Computing

The semester is about to end so that list is about to become redundant xD.

Anyway, I haven't gotten my final grades for this semester yet and I've got 3 exams coming up next month so I should get them soon, though I feel myself doing well.

Congrats on nearly completing your first semester of college/university, Mythril!  (And yes, I would consider them one and the same, so a university would definitely count).  I received four A's and one B this semester, though one of the As was really just for a half-credit that is mandatory for me to graduate.  I was working 20-25 hours this semester in addition to the studies, which certainly took a bit of extra time.

Excellent work on your grades, Tery.  Calculus was certainly a difficult subject, so good job there!  Are you going to be taking any summer courses, or are you going to wait until the fall?  I'm going to happily take the summer off, and then attempt graduating this fall with my Associates.

Congrats on nearly completing your first semester of college/university, Mythril! (And yes, I would consider them one and the same, so a university would definitely count). I received four A's and one B this semester, though one of the As was really just for a half-credit that is mandatory for me to graduate. I was working 20-25 hours this semester in addition to the studies, which certainly took a bit of extra time.

Excellent work on your grades, Tery. Calculus was certainly a difficult subject, so good job there! Are you going to be taking any summer courses, or are you going to wait until the fall? I'm going to happily take the summer off, and then attempt graduating this fall with my Associates.

Good job! I will be taking the summer off. I just moved and financial aid for the summer is a bit harder to get and work with, plus the summer classes that are offered are a lot more limited in what times they're offered. I will be starting back at the fall, but idk if I'm going to be returning to HACC for another semester or moving on to University of Pittsburgh. I'm currently applying to University of Pittsburgh so idk if I'll get in, but if I do and can take more classes at HACC first it would be cheaper. But with the move HACC is now 2 hours from where I live so the drive would be rough. I'm waiting to see if I get into Pitt and what transfers in order to have a better idea of what I'm going to do.

I applied and got into University of Pittsburgh!

So I just got my results for my first semester. They are:

Engineering Computing: 62 (Grade: P)

Mathematics for Engineers Preliminary: 72 (Grade: C)

Engineering Physics: 83 (Grade: D)

Introduction to Engineering Practice: 69 (Grade: C)

Our grading system is a bit different I don't know if your colleges/university does it the same way but I'll quickly and simply explain it:

HD (High Distinction) = A

D (Distinction) = B

C (Credit) = C

P (Pass) = D

And of course F means fail (as usual xD)

So yeah, I'm quite happy with my results. Looking forward to the new semester, even if it's going to be challenging :D

I guess it's been a while since I last posted here, but might as well.

I guess I always expected college and adulthood would make me a better me, but I still have trouble keeping calm most of the time. Meh. I just hope everything goes well eventually.

Edited by Ptolema
Fixed something

I guess it's been a while since I last posted here, but might as well.

Second semester felt much better than the first. I mean, I still have almost no idea what I'm going to end up studying, and even now that the second year is starting most of the classes I'm taking are barely related to each other, but I'm happy at the results of last semester. I got 2 A's and 2 B's. Mom didn't seem exactly happy but, I mean, this is college, this isn't school anymore. I think it's fine if I have a harder time getting A's than I did in school. :/

It's just weird, I guess. There's lots of things I'm interested in, I took a basic French class, I've taken Philosophy, History, English. But I still can't figure out what I actually want to be. Mom and Grandpa keep asking me but I literally don't know.

That, and college is kind of making me really self-aware now that I turned 18. I guess I always expected college and adulthood would make me a better me, but I still have trouble keeping calm most of the time. Meh. I just hope everything goes well eventually.

I think your grades sound great considering it's college. Just try a little harder and make sure they don't go down :P Considering the kind of classes you're listing, do you think you'd enjoy being a teacher of some kind? 

hello guys!

as you guys may know, i'm going to college tomorrow, but something just scares me somewhat. much as I do want to go to college, i'm scared that I may have to give up playing video games after I graduate from college. I know that should be the least of me worries, but still. I love video games, so I don't want to stop playing them. Of course i'll have to resist playing them when i'm in college, but I don't want to completely give it up

hello guys!

as you guys may know, i'm going to college tomorrow, but something just scares me somewhat. much as I do want to go to college, i'm scared that I may have to give up playing video games after I graduate from college. I know that should be the least of me worries, but still. I love video games, so I don't want to stop playing them. Of course i'll have to resist playing them when i'm in college, but I don't want to completely give it up

You shouldn't worry. If you really love gaming, you won't give it up that easily. You may start playing less as I have, but that would be due to your studies.

hello guys!

Why do you feel you'll have to give up video games after graduating? I know life gets busy and college and work would probably take priority over playing video games but I don't think you'd have to give it up completely, especially if it's something you enjoy. I know I didn't and know others who haven't had to either. During my college years I still played video games, not nearly as much as I used to because my coursework kept me busy, but I still found time to play occasionally while maintaining good grades. I also graduated and started working not too long ago, and am able to still play video games in my spare time. 

I'd say you don't have to worry. As long as it's not interfering with other obligations I don't think you would need to give up your video game hobby completely. Also good luck on your first day of college! You've got this. :D

I would decide to post in this thread after I've already finished school lmao :ph34r:

You shouldn't worry. If you really love gaming, you won't give it up that easily. You may start playing less as I have, but that would be due to your studies.

Why do you feel you'll have to give up video games after graduating? I know life gets busy and college and work would probably take priority over playing video games but I don't think you'd have to give it up completely, especially if it's something you enjoy. I know I didn't and know others who haven't had to either. During my college years I still played video games, not nearly as much as I used to because my coursework kept me busy, but I still found time to play occasionally while maintaining good grades. I also graduated and started working not too long ago, and am able to still play video games in my spare time. 

I'd say you don't have to worry. As long as it's not interfering with other obligations I don't think you would need to give up your video game hobby completely. Also good luck on your first day of college! You've got this. :D

I would decide to post in this thread after I've already finished school lmao :ph34r:

Thanks guys! :)

and to answer your question, it's because I don't see people playing video games after they've graduated from college, but that's pretty much speculation because I don't have evidence of that

Edited by Zeldablade7

Uhhhhhhhh

Can I post about university in here since my country is weird? I'm sorry if this is off topic since I have no clue if what I'm posting is relevant. Feel free to delete it if it is.

In case you don't know how it works here I'll explain it

In Wales it's compulsory to attend school up until the end of your GCSES. General certificate of secondary education...

You start learning for GCSES at around 14, by the end of Y10 (10th grade USA) you're like 15. You sit some exams and assessments.

Y11 is the 2nd and final year. You sit nearly all your exams then. By the time you finish y11 you're 16.

Each subject is a GCSE. In state schools it's compulsory to do certain GCSES. For example, most have to do Welsh Baculerate and Religious Studies. Also, you have little choice in what GCSES you take depending on what school you go to.

I believe 10 or 9 GCSES is the minimum and people often drop GCSES like English Literature with their schools permission as well as their parents permission.

After you get your results you can either go back to school for 2 school years to do Advanced Levels or you can go to a college to do Advanced Levels and courses and other stuff. Some people leave education after 16 and pursue jobs.

So after you finish your 'education' after college or advanced levels, you can go to university or get a job or whatever.

I plan on going to University after I finish my own Advanced Levels. I just finished my GCSES in late June and I'm getting my results back on Thursday (God help me). I'll post my results here if that's okay with everyone-once I get them.

The final 2 years of school are known as 6th form. You gain much more freedom, have free periods and there's a big social element to it. More trips are organised, you're made to take part in fundraisers for the school and are given authority and responsibility over younger kids.

To gain entrance to University you've got to accumulate UCAS points which you gain from how well you've done in the A level exams. The higher the grade the more UCAS points. You can get them through other means too. The better the university the more UCAS needed to get into it. Some ask for specific/minimum grades you need in a certain area.

Oh and you pick 4 AS levels for your first year in 6th form, then at the end you look at how well you've done in the exams and drop one or if you're really good you can continue with all 4.

I'll be doing advanced levels in September, starting 6th form in 2 weeks from today.

I plan on going into Game Design, so I'm taking

Computer Science

Maths

Physics

Graphic Design

I plan on dropping Graphic Design.

Here's the GCSES I took if anyone cares (Each GCSE is done in units, so you don't just take a single exam for each) I took 20 exams this summer and throughout the 2 years I've done 29 exams in total.

Maths

English literature

English Language

Further/ Advanced maths.

Biology

History

Spanish

French

Physics

Religious Studies

I haven't received an overall grade for any of them yet. But I've received grades for individual units. I'll place them in a spoiler

Biology 1-A*

Physics 1- A*

Religious Studies paper 1 A*

History USA exam- A

English Literature Of Mice and Men Exam- A

That was y10

January Year 11 :/

Physics B

Biology B

English Languge paper 1 C

English Languge paper 1 D

I resat these 4 papers this summer^^

Just got into the course of my dreams today, Animation in one of the best colleges in europe for art and design. Cant genuinely wait xD

Just got into the course of my dreams today, Animation in one of the best colleges in europe for art and design. Cant genuinely wait : D

I keep forgetting to update on my second semester and it's almost half way done xD

Well, the subjects I'm doing now are

Mathematics for Engineers 1

Electrical Fundamentals

Fundamentals of Mechanics

and I'm dropping Engineering Materials as it's not relevant to my major and I can't afford to spend time on it.

Uhhhhhhhh

Can I post about university in here since my country is weird? I'm sorry if this is off topic since I have no clue if what I'm posting is relevant. Feel free to delete it if it is.

In case you don't know how it works here I'll explain it

In Wales it's compulsory to attend school up until the end of your GCSES. General certificate of secondary education...

You start learning for GCSES at around 14, by the end of Y10 (10th grade USA) you're like 15. You sit some exams and assessments.

Y11 is the 2nd and final year. You sit nearly all your exams then. By the time you finish y11 you're 16.

Each subject is a GCSE. In state schools it's compulsory to do certain GCSES. For example, most have to do Welsh Baculerate and Religious Studies. Also, you have little choice in what GCSES you take depending on what school you go to.

I believe 10 or 9 GCSES is the minimum and people often drop GCSES like English Literature with their schools permission as well as their parents permission.

After you get your results you can either go back to school for 2 school years to do Advanced Levels or you can go to a college to do Advanced Levels and courses and other stuff. Some people leave education after 16 and pursue jobs.

So after you finish your 'education' after college or advanced levels, you can go to university or get a job or whatever.

I plan on going to University after I finish my own Advanced Levels. I just finished my GCSES in late June and I'm getting my results back on Thursday (God help me). I'll post my results here if that's okay with everyone-once I get them.

The final 2 years of school are known as 6th form. You gain much more freedom, have free periods and there's a big social element to it. More trips are organised, you're made to take part in fundraisers for the school and are given authority and responsibility over younger kids.

To gain entrance to University you've got to accumulate UCAS points which you gain from how well you've done in the A level exams. The higher the grade the more UCAS points. You can get them through other means too. The better the university the more UCAS needed to get into it. Some ask for specific/minimum grades you need in a certain area.

Oh and you pick 4 AS levels for your first year in 6th form, then at the end you look at how well you've done in the exams and drop one or if you're really good you can continue with all 4.

I'll be doing advanced levels in September, starting 6th form in 2 weeks from today.

I plan on going into Game Design, so I'm taking

Computer Science

Maths

Physics

Graphic Design

I plan on dropping Graphic Design.

Here's the GCSES I took if anyone cares (Each GCSE is done in units, so you don't just take a single exam for each) I took 20 exams this summer and throughout the 2 years I've done 29 exams in total.

Maths

English literature

English Language

Further/ Advanced maths.

Biology

History

Spanish

French

Physics

Religious Studies

I haven't received an overall grade for any of them yet. But I've received grades for individual units. I'll place them in a spoiler

Biology 1-A*

Physics 1- A*

Religious Studies paper 1 A*

History USA exam- A

English Literature Of Mice and Men Exam- A

That was y10

January Year 11 :/

Physics B

Biology B

English Languge paper 1 C

English Languge paper 1 D

I resat these 4 papers this summer^^

Uni counts too don't worry xD

I keep forgetting to update on my second semester and it's almost half way done xD

Well, the subjects I'm doing now are

Mathematics for Engineers 1

Electrical Fundamentals

Fundamentals of Mechanics

and I'm dropping Engineering Materials as it's not relevant to my major and I can't afford to spend time on it.

Uni counts too don't worry xD

Well A levels=path to Uni so if it's okay I'd like to post about all of that stuff as I go along