Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

The series really enjoys the idea of a trio when it comes to KH original characters, except when it comes to eraqus and xehanort. As we've seen in BBS, the land of departure has three thrones too, assumingly, go along with the theme of light, twilight, and darkness representing a character's alignment. Xehanort and eraqus are pretty much the bad version of kairi and riku, eraqus, trying, to embody pure light,thinking light is the only way, and xehanort thinking that light should give way to darkness so that darkness caan stand on equal ground(this reasoning doesnt make him neutral) ,...but what about twilight/neutral. If we are still going with the idea of the inverted version of the original trio, then sora, who is good neutral, should have an inverted version aswell. Could the third apprentice be true neutral and that they do not care one way or the other what happens between the realm of the light and the realm of darkness, it would explain why we have never seen them before nor why they haven't been mentioned before. Thoughts?

eraqus has never explicitly stated this, nor has it ever been actually implied, in either xehanorts reports or otherwise

its possible, but i just don't see it due to how yen sid refers to xehanorts during cutscenes and how its with an unfamiliar tone and how he is always saying things like "could he truly be" yada yada yada, that just gives me the idea that he knows of xehanort and his plans, but doesnt Actually know him

eraqus has never explicitly stated this, nor has it ever been actually implied, in either xehanorts reports or otherwise

Well, in BbS Yen sid said "I once walked the path of Master alongside Xehanort and Eraqus" He also says "Xehanort, I had hoped your heart would no longer lead you astray" Seems like Yen Sid knows how rebellious a student Xehanort was. Seems to me eh was either a fellow student or their Master. 

Okay you lost me with Kairi. Kairi has never share her view about light, darkness, or dawn. She only wield a keyblade for a short time in KH2 and that's it. So I don't see how she's the "bad version" of Eraqus.

No, no, he (or she) is saying that Eraqus is the bad version of Kairi, in that he believe darkness should cease to exist entirely while Kairi seems to be willing to accept it's necessity as shown by the fact that she never chastised Riku for taking on Ansems form.

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

Well, in BbS Yen sid said "I once walked the path of Master alongside Xehanort and Eraqus" He also says "Xehanort, I had hoped your heart would no longer lead you astray" Seems like Yen Sid knows how rebellious a student Xehanort was. Seems to me eh was either a fellow student or their Master. .

Okay, I can see it now, it's not an outright confirmation, but it has a higher chance of being the case. Yen Sid could be considered neutral to some degree, he doesn't really act, he just releases information or helps those who ask, but that third seat should be filled by someone though seeing as it implies that there is a "rule of three" when the successor to LoD has to train students.

Kairi has absolutely zero character attributes beyond "cares about Sora" so this isn't really based one a whole lot

Besides that, it's made pretty clear that Xehanort Yen Sid and Eraqus were a trio before they went on their separate paths

Kairi has absolutely zero character attributes beyond "cares about Sora" so this isn't really based one a whole lotBesides that, it's made pretty clear that Xehanort Yen Sid and Eraqus were a trio before they went on their separate paths

Though she has had little to know character development throughout the entire series, that's not the point I'm making, the point is the subtle things that define her character. as isamu pointed out, Kairi can look past the darkness that cloaks over others and see them for who they really are, with both Riku and sora when he became a heartless. Kairi is pure light in all manners of the concept of a somebody, where as eraqus, someone who wants to be that would not be able to look past the darkness. If eraqus was in Kairi's shoes and saw Riku as ansem, eraqus would try and strike Riku, same for sora. You see him take those exact actions against ventus and Terra, students that he loved with all his heart, but he thought darkness was going to take them. So you can see the subtle parallels between these two charactersAnd though it is likely that yen aid is of the trio, there are still moments that can lend doubt to it, seeing as how eraqus and xehanort are explicitly shown to have a brotherly bond, while eraqus refers to yen aid as if he was just a colleague, not to say that eraqus was just more familiar with xehanort than yen aid during training, but most of not all the trios in the game share a very strong bond, and even after they went their ape rate ways, eraqus still spoke to xehanort with a very friendly tone. I mean if you look at it, Mickey and ventus are a perfect example of how those three knew each other, yet didn't train together.

Even though it is most likely Yen Sid, Nomura is probably going to fire truck us all and make it Kairi's grandmother.

not going to lie. when kairi's grandmother was introduced i was expecting some ansem the wise level of knowledge, not just the keyblade war story with a voiceover, i also thought she would play a stronger role, but then i realized she isnt wearing unnesscary/flamboyant FF-style clothing so that cant be possible. Would still be a mindtruck and asspull if she was though. Edited by outbackjim21

Well, based on what has been shown in Birth By Sleep, Master Eraqus made it clear that Yen Sid was the one who occupied the third seat.  He said, and I quote:

"That was my dear old friend, Yen Sid.  As you know, he is MASTER no more, but still keeps a close watch over the tides of light and darkness."

So yeah, based on that quote, Yen Sid is the one that represents Twilight, in the fact that he watches over the events that occur in the worlds, and keeps a close watch on the balance of light and darkness.  We've never seen Yen Sid wield a Keyblade, but I'm hoping Kingdom Hearts III will change that.  Anyways, I say that Yen Sid's standing on things is pretty neutral to me.  He is indeed wary of Xehanort, but he doesn't have Eraqus' ironclad principles of destroying darkness completely.  Yen Sid is quite the enigma, but I'm sure he's the third of the group.  Hopefully, we'll get some more backstory on him in Kingdom Hearts III! :)