Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sora96

Sora96's FINAL FANTASY XV -EPISODE DUSCAE- Review

FINAL FANTASY XV -EPISODE DUSCAE- begins with a short tutorial explaining how to move around and then an optional combat tutorial. After completing these you're given free roam of the entire demo area.

Your overall objective is to make the gil needed to get Cindy to fix your car, pretty simple. To do this your friends say they need to defeat a Behemoth and get its horn in order to sell it for the needed gil. There are other items you can sell for large amounts of gil but I had already collected the Behemoth's horn by the time I realized this. You'll need to search the Duscae region for clues as to where the Behemoth is.

Along the way you'll find a Chocobo Ranch with yellow Chocobos however you can't ride them sadly. There's also black Chocobos in the wild but you can't rid them either. There's also a couple of massive monsters in the water but you can't reach them. Throughout the demo you'll fight the same few monsters, and even have robotic soldiers drop down on your in open areas. Early on it can get a little hectic but some levelling up helps a lot. Speaking of levelling up, you'll need to go to the camp sites around the Duscae region and rest there by eating a meal and sleeping, as this will give you buffs for the next day if you collected the needed items which are very easily found and level up according to all the experience points you gained throughout the day via quests and battles. You can also camp during the day.

Combat will take a little time to get used to, but there is a lot of fun to had with this battle system, however I would have loved to be able to control our friends. Usually in a FINAL FANTASY game if you die you'll need to use a Phoenix Down to revive your party member, this time around though you'll be able to walk up to your friends or have them walk up to you to restore some of you HP, you can also use a Potion to do this. The Goblins in this demo which appear at night and in the demo's dungeon will also poison you which might give a little stress but if you're strong enough this demo is very easy. I'm left wondering if this is the game's normal difficulty. Oh and you'll also hear the same battle cries a bit too much.

Getting to the required locations is also very easy with very good markers in place and a handy map. However I would have liked to be able to keep moving while the map is open.

Hunting down the Behemoth is quite a bit of fun, with stealth elements thrown in and a couple of interesting fights.

Back to the demo's dungeon, it's dark but thankfully you have flashlights and Goblins just keep coming from everywhere. There's also tight gaps to get through, but be careful because Goblins might come out of them when you're going in them.

The demo also contains a very impressive summon.

To be honest I actually enjoyed the voice acting.

The music is as expected top notch.

Graphically the game is very nice, but it's not pushing the PlayStation 4. However the demo is only running at 900p and it is only a demo so expect to see the game look quite a bit better when it's finally finished.

Frame rate drops occur every once in awhile but thankfully they don't ruin the experience. There's also a few small parts of the demo where movement can be a little stiff. I had trouble getting onto the platform for the Chocobo Ranch's shop.

The addition of dual-audio is a nice touch.

When you complete the demo a couple of things are revealed and you will also get a little teaser at FFXV.

Overall FINAL FANTASY XV -EPISODE DUSCAE- is a very good demo but the team has a lot of work still to do.

8/10

Great review!

From what I've seen from youtube so far, I also give it somewhere between an 8/10 to a 9/10 - but I will give the music a 10/10.

The Ramuh summon was phenomenal, Final Fantasy sure has come a long way...from flashing stationary sprites to full cinematic flows in which even the environment can be affected/interacted with.

The other day I was playing and spotted out enemies no one talked about at all. I can't quite remember their names (Mesmir or something like that) but they're like deer and drop a wealthy 777 exp a piece. They don't fight unless you corner them, but they're difficult to hit, usually making you warpstrike them the whole way. 

Have you spotted them, yourself? Has anyone else spotted them?

The other day I was playing and spotted out enemies no one talked about at all. I can't quite remember their names (Mesmir or something like that) but they're like deer and drop a wealthy 777 exp a piece. They don't fight unless you corner them, but they're difficult to hit, usually making you warpstrike them the whole way. Have you spotted them, yourself? Has anyone else spotted them?

are you talking about the blue ones that look like the sabertusks?