Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
hatok

Tabata Speaks on Why FFXV has an All Male Party

It's because it's been re-branded as a main numbered title that I feel it should include more into it to give it the feel of being a main numbered title, like all the other titles did beforehand.

But if they did that, they'd have to implant her lines among those that had already been written and change their own lines accordingly, it would come off a forced and artificial. It would be different if they had planned for a female party member from the beginning when it was Versus XIII, but they didn't.

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

But if they did that, they'd have to implant her lines among those that had already been written and change their own lines accordingly, it would come off a forced and artificial. It would be different if they had planned for a female party member from the beginning when it was Versus XIII, but they didn't.

We don't know just about EVERYTHING XV has to offer obviously so knows? only the one true opinion will triumph in the end, I am making a guess it might be yours but still, only time will tell.

We don't know just about EVERYTHING XV has to offer obviously so knows? only the one true opinion will triumph in the end, I am making a guess it might be yours but still, only time will tell.

The reason I'm saying this is because, years ago I cant even remember who it was, but I saw an interview with someone who was in an animated movie and she (I do remember it was a woman begin interviewed) said that they don't record lines from beginning to end, the way they are in the final product, instead they start at the the end and work backwards. I'm guessing it's the same with video games so I assume that's the order the write it in as well. Climax first, then other stuff. If this is true, that means that the most important lines where already written before the rebranding.

But yeah, we'll see how it turns out.

The reason I'm saying this is because, years ago I cant even remember who it was, but I saw an interview with someone who was in an animated movie and she (I do remember it was a woman begin interviewed) said that they don't record lines from beginning to end, the way they are in the final product, instead they start at the the end and work backwards. I'm guessing it's the same with video games so I assume that's the order the write it in as well. Climax first, then other stuff. If this is true, that means that the most important lines where already written before the rebranding.But yeah, we'll see how it turns out.

Aye aye :].

So, the second boobs are present, all naturalness drops and suddenly these otherwise normal characters can't see anything but breasts, therefore ruining the whole dynamic?

Makes sense. Women ruin everything, don't we?

I think the implication he was making was more along the lines that there is a dynamic present in a group of males that is shifted to something else when a female is introduced. The same thing would thus apply to all female cast and a single male character. It seems to be to be less about the desirability of being open around women and more about the differences in how people act around people of opposing genders (such as feeling the need to impress, to hide vulnerabilities, or act overtly romantic) as opposed to people of the same gender, which is where the concept of male "bros" or female "girlfriends" originates, who are people with which many are often close and open with while not often carrying the impetus to act any way pertaining to being around those who are generally a sexual match for you.

I think the implication he was making was more along the lines that there is a dynamic present in a group of males that is shifted to something else when a female is introduced. The same thing would thus apply to all female cast and a single male character. It seems to be to be less about the desirability of being open around women and more about the differences in how people act around people of opposing genders (such as feeling the need to impress, to hide vulnerabilities, or act overtly romantic) as opposed to people of the same gender, which is where the concept of male "bros" or female "girlfriends" originates, who are people with which many are often close and open with while not often carrying the impetus to act any way pertaining to being around those who are generally a sexual match for you.

If they wanted to specifically make it about bromance, they did not pick a good way to word it. They don't simply want to make a story about brotherhood -- it's how they think it'd be more "approachable" that's rattling our cages. Approachable to who? It's possible to focus on a group of characters as characters, without gender really factoring into it. I've seen a few ensembles where, yes, some of the characters were certainly female, but everyone's dynamic with each other played off their personalities, not gender. Since it's possible to do this, their reasoning for specifically excluding a gender gave a lot of us the impression they're taking the lazy route. "Ohh, women are too complicated to write about when they're with other men, let's stick with the dudes."

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have batted an eye at an all-male team, just as I wouldn't have batted an eye at an all-female team. It's just that someone came out with this weird 'justification' that makes it seem like female characters are more complicated than they are, like they just don't have the writing skills to make relationships between opposite genders mesh well. If they'd just stopped at "We want to write a story about bromance," they'd have my full support. I love bromance. But they didn't stop there. Their reasoning behind it feels like they're placing way too much weight in how people of opposite genders act around each other.

don't mind this at all tbh. if nomura/tabata wants to tell a story about some close childhood friends going on a broad trip and doing guy stuff then I don't see why they can't tell that story. it's not like the game will be completely devoid of female characters anyhow, stella/luna/whatever her name is now will still have an important role and hopefully be kicking butt among others

Edited by J. Severe

Well that's a strange explanation!  Female party members would have also been awesome, as it's been proven in previous main entries that female characters can hold their own in combat!  Just look at Rydia, Tifa, Yuna, Lulu, etc.  They're females, and they're just as good as their male counterparts!

Edited by Shigehiko

Well that's a strange explanation!  Female party members would have also been awesome, as it's been proven in previous main entries that female characters can hold their own in combat!  Just look at Rydia, Tifa, Yuna, Lulu, etc.  They're females, and they're just as good as their male counterparts!

well the point tabata is trying to make is about compatability rather than capability. it's going to be a story about brotherhood and a female or two would detract from that, you can get angry as much as you want by that simple fact, but it's just the way it is, and I can see where tabata is coming from, men and women are just too different from a mental/spiritual standpoint for a female to be in the vicinity when "bros are being bros". It's hard to explain but even when it's a platonic relationship between a group of guys and a group of girls, both groups ARE NOT going to act the way they would if they were alone with their own gender.

He could have been translated wrong. He isn't saying women are hard to animate or are unapproachable, for pete sakes there are girls in the game they just aren't playable. This game is about brotherhood and men showing emotion and care for each other instead of holding it in and acting macho. I thin everyone has taken what he said the wrong way I mean everyone is acting like Square has never had an all female lead. X-2 was an all girl party and nobody complained there wasn't any guys? So why is there an issue with XV? There are all male leads in movies,tv shows, and other video games. This shouldn't be different.He basically didn't want them to change the way they act because there is a girl around which in most cases boys do act different