Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

"I'm escaping this world

one step at a time

but all I need first

is a partner in crime" - J.H.

Laughter and posh lectures one with another. Gentlemen in suits and ladies in dresses. The environment felt elegant and suffocating in this venue, at least for the seven year old Giotto. He looked adorable in his little suit, at least that’s what everyone said as his father showed him off. His father was the chief of security of the city, wealthy, handsome, widower, everything and anything Giotto could care less of. His most popular trait was his hatred and fear against mutants, beings with supernatural abilities that could surpass animal and machine. The city both feared them and revered them, it was a dividing side. But being a small minority they would only stand out every so often in the news. What his father would never know was that his own son was a mutant with developing powers. Another rub to the head, causing his hair to get messed up caused Giotto to groan and sneak away, away from the strong smelling perfumes and out a door that led to the outside for fresh air, the back parking lot barely lit up by a street lamp and decorated with a few garbage cans. “Stupid party, stupid stuff, stupid dad.” Giotto muttered under his breath as he got his hands in his pockets and kicked around a rock. He hated social events like this. Not only was he ignored, he was used as an item to show off. “Stupid!” He kicked the rock again.

In this said party, a young boy Giotto's age was currently laying underneath a table, watching the people go by and waiting for opportunities to rise inorder to pickpocket some of the guests. They're so rich they wouldn't miss their wallets anyway. This boy, eight year old Jesse Jones would even peer under dresses for snickers. He noticed young Giotto stray away from the crowd, which peaked Jesse's interests. Why would a little kid be in such a fancy grown up party? Reaching his hand from underneath the cloth to steal some sweets, Jesse slid out from under the table and left outside to see where the kid was going.

Meanwhile, a few men approached Giotto. They all were big and looked rather ruff around the edges. The shadows of night hid their faces.

"Hey." The leader said with a grin. "What's a kid like you doing outside in a place like this? Where's your mommy and daddy?" His two lackeys chuckled and went around behind Giotto.

Giotto froze in place, his eyes darting back and forth the members. Out of all the times. He didn't had any technology with him either, he had left his cellphone back home. His powers were useless unless there was a single machine around of any kind. He was defenseless. But in his eyes they didn't show a threat, for whatever reason. Maybe it was the fact that he was used to using his powers. Or the fact that he was too sheltered and didn't know a single thing about living on the streets. Maybe the fact that because he was the son of the chief of security he thought it was untouchable. It could be all of the above. He stood his ground. "I...I wanted some fresh air. The party was too loud." Giotto said as he looked around at them. "Dad's inside...I can get him for you if you want?" Giotto asked as he took a step back, hoping to get anywhere closer to the door. His mother had died long ago, no need to answer that question. "I can get him if you want...Dad!" Giotto yelled, but it would be useless, the music was too loud.

"Oh no..." The leader replied, as he suddenly yanked up Giotto from the ground by the collar. His lackeys cracked their knuckles. "It's fine. I wonder how much your Pops will pay for you if you take a little 'field trip' with us for a little while. How about that boys? Sound nice?"

"Yeah!" One responded.

"Can I get a few hits on him first?" The other said.

The leader was about to respond, that is, until he got a few thick rocks thrown at his head. He yelled in pain, and dropped Giotto to the ground. A small figure appeared from behind a car, and grabbed Giotto's hand to drag him out of there.

"Come on! Hurry hotshot!" The figure said, which was revealed to be a young boy under the dim street light.

"H-Hotshot?!" Giotto struggled to keep up with the figure that had saved him. His dress shoes barely being fit for such activity. Dim lights showed that his savior was a boy around his age. Even if they were contrastingly different, he couldn't help but to be in awe of how someone of his age had helped him and saved him. "W-Who are you?" Giotto gasped as he ran with the kid, hearing the loud curses and shots from the thugs echoing across the night. Things were going so fast he could barely keep up to analyze it all. "They're after us..." Giotto muttered, looking back as he ran. He looked around, looking for anything that he could use. "H-Hold on, this way!" Giotto said as he stopped and pulled the kid into a sharp turn, leading them through some back streets and over to a privately owned factory. The place was huge, if they could lose them there, they wouldn't have to worry about them for a long while if forever. The electric door was shut down, but it only took a touch to have it open for the two. "In here!"

"Just shut up and run!" Jesse yelled. He hated questions, and with the yabbing his mouth it wasn't helping either. Giotto took a sharp turn, and suddenly the door to the factory had opened for the two. Jesse was momentarily shocked, for there was no way a normal kid could have done that.

"You're a mutant?!" Jesse asked, running ahead with Giotto before they came across a big jump. It was about fifteen feet, with stacks of cardboard below. Jesse shook his head, and grabbed Giotto by the arm. He heard the shouting from the thugs outside. "Jump!!!!" With that, Jesse jumped with Giotto in tow into the stacks of cardboard fifteen feet below them.

“Don’t tell my dad!” Was the first thing Giotto said in response to the question. If his father found out hell would break loose. Giotto was about to complaint about doing the jump, but did it anyways with a shriek of fear, landing right in the mountain of cardboard boxes which somewhat softened the landing. “Owwww…” Giotto muttered, looking around as he sat up among the mixture of cardboard. What a strange sort of events. “Y-You think we lost them?” Giotto whispered as he looked up. “I don’t think we should stay hidden here forever, what if they find a way down too?” Giotto glanced around and then turned back to the kid that had rescued him. “Um…you’re not afraid of a mutant, are you?” Giotto asked insecurely.

Jesse Jones wasn't really listening to what Giotto was saying, as he was disregarding his questions. He looked around for any sign of their chasers, and suddenly grabbed Giotto and pressed himself against the wall as he pressed his hand against Giotto's mouth to silence him.

The thugs from before showed up, however they were on top of he platform that the boys had just jumped off from.

"Dammit!" The leader said. "Do you see that rich kid and the street rat?!"

His two lackeys shook their head.

"I don't see anythin' boss." One said.

"Nope. Nothin'." The other said right after.

The boss growled, and shook his head. "Let's just go before any cops show up." With that, the thugs left.

Jesse kept Giotto in that hold for a few more minutes just to make sure they were safe.

"You ask too many damn questions..." Jesse hissed silently in Giotto's ear.

Giotto froze in place as he watched everything go on. He then pulled Jesse's hand off him and looked back at him. "Not my fault I want to question the situation!" Giotto whispered back at the kid. He was terrified but excited at the same time. It was like those movies, but in real life. "You saved me. You're like a superhero. Or a spy!" Giotto said as he smiled at him, quickly grabbing his arm and shaking him slightly. "Thank you thank you." Giotto said as he then pointed at himself. "I'm Giotto Rubocrasia. Nice to meet you and thank you for saving my life." Giotto said as he smiled. "As you can see, I'm a mutant...I can control whatever machine I touch. Which has been proven useless when it came to defend myself, it seems..." Giotto said as he smiled. "What's your name?" He asked innocently.

"Superhero or a spy." Jesse dead panned. He was far from both of those. And what the hell was up with the name?

"Giotto Rubawhat?" Jesse asked as he crossed his arms. "That's some name. It sounds like some Italian food or something. And you're a mutant too. Interesting... I guess I could tell you my name hotshot. Jesse Jones. Don't wear it out." He looked up to the platform above them. "Not like it matters anyway. You gotta go back to your mommy and daddy in that stupid rich people party."

"Don't mention my mom, please." Giotto asked politely, for reasons. "And it's Rubocrasia. R-U-B-O-C-R-A-S-I-A. From the Rubocrasia Safety Corporation." Giotto added as he started to follow Jesse Jones out of their hiding spot. He glanced around and took a notice at an elevator. "We can take this thing to our exit on the top floor." Giotto mentioned as he walked over to it. He touched it and the elevator came to life, opening with a DING. "Jesse, come with me. I want you to meet my dad. I want him to meet my savior. I'm sure my dad will want to meet you too." Giotto said smiling. He didn't think there would be anything bad of it. His dad was the chief of security of the city and the owner of a security corporation, he was a good guy...right? "Want to come back to the party with me then?"

"Me. You want ME to go with you to a rich people party and meet your pops?" Jesse fell into a fit of laughter. "No way! Look at me. I don't even wear any shoes!" It was true. Jesse Jones didn't wear any shoes. Lest could he even afford them. The only shoes he could get was from handouts, and those shoes were filthy and gave him fungal infections. "I don't think your dad would want to meet me. Even my own dad doesn't want me around either!" He walked into the elevator, and waited for Giotto to follow. He could have gotten back up another way, but honestly he didn't feel like climbing anything when there was an elevator to go on, even if it meant having to be around this annoying kid a few minutes longer.

Giotto was confused at Jesse's reaction. Surely meeting someone that could help wasn't a bad thing? As Jesse stepped into the light Giotto could see him clearly. The way he dressed and such, compared to Giotto they were contrast. "Well...I mean your dad..." Giotto muttered, trying to come up with an excuse as he walked into the elevator and had it go to the top floor of the building. His dad didn't want him around? As in ever? Was that a thing that dads did? His father would never do that. If anything he would drag him around too much. "...my...my dad surely would want to meet you and have you around. He could give you a reward for saving me too! He's actually very very nice!" Giotto said, trying to make his father sound as nice as possible, not realizing that he was most likely just digging deeper into his own grave. His father was nice, he was the one who caught the bad guys as far as he knew. The elevator reached its destination and opened the doors with a DING, showing off a darkened lobby and a pair of glass doors that led out to the parking lot and street.

Jesse shook his head and entered the lobby, letting the rubble of the ground make crushing sounds against us feet as he stepped.

"I'll pass." He said, looking back at Giotto. "I'll tell you what. I'll stop by your house later. Don't bother telling me where it is. I'll find it and see you. Just do me a favor and don't freak out once I get there." He said with a sudden snicker. He looked out into the glass, taking in the darkness of the city.

"Now get back to your party before your pops notice you're gone. You wouldn't want to get 'grounded' would you?"

Giotto couldn't help but to whimper. "Grounded is better than being forced around, in my opinion." Giotto muttered. He quickly sat up straight and walked out of the elevator, into the city. He looked back at Jesse. "How will I know you're going to be able to reach my house, or if you'll come by at all?" Giotto questioned as he crossed his arms. His father himself was a man to break certain promises when things got in the way. "Hmm...AH!" Giotto said, and before Jesse could leave, he searched around his suit and took something out. It was a golden brooch, with gems encrusted on it. It was in the shape of a sea turtle. He handed it over to Jesse, forcing it into his palm. "Now I'm sure you really do have to come by to my place, in order to hand it back to me." Giotto said smiling. He stepped back. "I'll leave my balcony door open." He said, and without another word, Giotto skipped away. He was smiling. Excited. He'd never made a friend before. Maybe this was his chance!...even if it was under the worst of circumstances but at least it was a friend!

Jesse looked blankly down at the brooch. Was this kid serious? He gave Jesse a good brooch and expected him to GIVE it back. Why would Jesse go out of his way to go to some rich kids house and give back an expensive brooch that he could just sell for a good price? He wasn't entitled to give it back. Despite that, Jesse was going to go to his house anyway even without the brooch. He watched Giotto run off, all while shaking his head.

"Crazy bastard."

Much later, once the party was over and Giotto arrived at home, Jesse was already inside, hiding in the shadows by the window of the dark room. He was playing with the brooch, tossing it around in his hand.

"Sir Giotto, be careful when running down the halls!" "Yes Sebastian!" Giotto opened the door as he turned on the lights and walked in, a man with a butler suit stood behind him. "Do you need anything?" Sebastian asked. "No thanks." Sebastian said as he gently closed the door and loosened his tie. His room was pretty big. Filled with high class furniture and items such a plasma tv. He even had a limited edition toy of Noah 's ark, only 5 made in the world. He quickly stripped himself of shoes, jacket and tie, yawning. "I can't eat anymore~ So much food." Giotto muttered as he looked around his room, noticing a shadow among the curtains of the balcony. He smiled. "You're early. Don't stand there, come in, it's cold outside." Giotto said with a smile as he extended his arms. "My room is your room! Do you want to eat anything?" Giotto asked as he twirled around his room.

Jesse slid inside the room, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. This kid really was in lala land.

"Damn." Jesse said. "You really don't have a care in the world. I don't need anything to eat, thanks. The party food filled me up." He looked around the room now that the lights was on. Jesse had to say- he was impressed. "Don't twirl so much. You'll get a booboo." He said sarcastically with a grin.

Jesse slid inside the room, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. This kid really was in lala land.

"Damn." Jesse said. "You really don't have a care in the world. I don't need anything to eat, thanks. The party food filled me up." He looked around the room now that the lights was on. Jesse had to say- he was impressed. "Don't twirl so much. You'll get a booboo." He said sarcastically with a grin.

Giotto stopped mid twirl and looked at him. "I won't get hurt that easily." Giotto smiled. It was the first time he had a friend over in his room. Or at least the first time he had someone around his age. Scratch that. The first time he had anyone over that wasn't his family or Sebastian. "I'm so glad you did come by though. I've never had any friends before...which means we can be friends now!" Giotto said as he hurried over to Jesse and shook him by the shoulders. "We can be friends and do stuff together!" Giotto said excitedly. "I mean...if you want to be my friend, you don't have to...but I already consider you my friend." Giotto said smiling innocently enough, with hope in his eyes.

Jesse looked to Giotto like he was crazy. Actually, he partially thought Giotto was really crazy. Or at least, way too naïeve for his own good. This kid must seriously never go out much.

"Hold on hotshot. We just met a few hours ago. I'm just a random kid off of the street and you want to be my friend? That's funny." He looked around once more, and upon seeing how innocent and pure Giotto looked in his smile made Jesse sigh.

"But sure. I guess why not. Shocking as it may seem, my only other friend is my stomach and it fights with me all the time. So I guess we're 'friends'." He never really used the term friend before. Even with the few friendly people he knew in the streets, he didn't call them friends but just simply people he knew. Jesse raised his right hand and spat in it. He held out his hand for a handshake. "Shake on it."

Giotto looked down in sort of awe. Was this some secret rite of initiation of friendship that he had never heard or seen before? Maybe. Giotto tried to act cool as he extended his hand and spat on it, though it wasn't as accurate as Jesse had done, the saliva drooling down his lip as he struggled to get it on his hand. When he eventually did, he shook Jesse's hand with a smile. "Best of friends then!" Giotto said as he pointed at Jesse. "Keep the brooch. It's a symbol of friendship!" Giotto insisted. He was sure to be cool now! "Thank you."

"Yeah, yeah." Jesse said with a huff. He looked down at the brooch in his hand. It was crazy expencive, which meant that he could make a good buck on it. But that was really messed up thing to do, even for him. He put the brooch in his pocket. There was no way he would wear it. The people in the neighbor hood would knock him out for it.

"No problem. But since I'm friends with ya I want to know more about ya." He decided to sit on a chair right next to the desk. "You really never get out much do you?"

Giotto thought about it. "No not really." He admitted. "Ever since mom died my dad has been a bit overprotective. I'm not allowed to leave the house unless I'm with him or with someone he trusts like Sebastian. I'm home schooled therefore I don't make any friends. I'm not mistreated, and I'm very happy with the life I have. It just gets a bit lonely." Giotto explained as he turned to the TV. He pointed a finger at it and snapped his fingers, the TV turning onto the news. "I try to go out at night to explore, using my powers, but I don't know the city and will get lost easily." He turned to Jesse. "What about you? It appears your situation could be somewhat opposite to mine?"

Jesse laughed a little. The whole thing sounded so hilarious to him. More so because of how much it must suck to be locked up in a room and constantly have someone up your ass every time you leave the house. He leaned back in he chair and put his hands behind his head.

"Hell yeah it is. If it makes you feel better, I have mommy daddy issues too. My ma is alive, but she's a drug addict. Total crack head. And my pops, well he's always drunk all the time and beats me up because of it. When he's not beating me, he's beating my ma. I always stay out of the house so I'm fine." He said it like it was nothing. It was something he was used to anyway.