Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Jesse continued to cry, but felt comfort at Giotto's gesture. Johnny gave a sad smile. "I'm going to go talk to the police again... This one cop wanted to talk to you Jesse but I'm just going to tell him to come back later okay? I'll leave you two alone for a little while." With that he left the room and began to talk to a few cops outside once more.

Jesse cried and cried for almost a half an hour. Finally after what felt like forever, Jesse's crying slowly started to get quieter and quieter until it stopped completely with a hiccup. Jesse suddenly began to whisper something in Giotto's ear.

"I... I'm a mutant..."

Giotto paused as his eyes widened slightly. He looked over at Jesse. He was serious. "(A mutant...like me...?)" Giotto thought. That would explain what Johnny had heard maybe? The screech that shattered the windows of the house of his own and the neighbors. Giotto whispered back at Jesse. "So the screech that Johnny mentioned to me, the one that broke the windows around the scene, that was you then?" Giotto asked. It sounded powerful. Very.

Jesse nodded. "Y-Yeah it was... I don't know how I did it, but I did..." He tried to shift in his bed, but every kind of movement made the pain worse. Even crying made the pain worse, which in turn made him cry even more and make the pain even worse. Jesse leaned his head back and put his hand over his chest.

"My... My ma..." Jesse began. "She was going to make me take a bath... She was in the bathroom and I was in my room. I heard her get into an argument with my dad but I didn't hear exactly what they were arguing about... Then they just started to scream at each other." He started to tear up again, but he forced himself not to cry. "Then she just started to scream at him to stop. I ran inside the bathroom and I saw him stab her three times... I tried to hit him, but he just turned around and attacked me. Then I just... Screamed at him and that's when I did that mutant thing... I saw his ears bleed but he still came at me. He stabbed me twice, but I still fought him. Finally he grabbed me and tried to drown me in the bathtub... And then I woke up here."

Giotto hummed at the story. "I'm glad...the police arrived in time..." Giotto said. If he had lost Jesse, it would be like losing his reason to fly out of the gilded cage. "Your power comes from your voice then? That's so useful. You can use it anywhere you want. You have no limits. If I get stranded on an island my powers would be useless. On another note, don't force yourself too much alright?" Giotto said softly. He looked around to see Johnny talking to the police, then at the clock, then back at Jesse. "You...should...maybe, ask to see your sibling whenever you get the chance." Giotto said. "I don't know if it's a girl or a boy yet though, would you like for me to find out?"

Jesse looked down at his fingers, which he started to play with. He really didn't know how to feel about all of this. Strangely, he wasn't really feeling anything about the fact that his mother had died. He just felt blank. Like a painting that has just been painted white to a blank canvas. He was a big brother... He didn't feel anything at all. He just couldn't process it all inside his head. He now had a sibling. Someone who shared the same mother and father with him. A baby. His mother didn't even tell him. For good reasons obviously. And this baby... Was the reason why his father killed his mother. She wouldn't have tried to leave his Jesse's father is she wasn't pregnant.

"I..." He didn't even fully realize the fact that he was a mutant. "Yeah... I want to see if it's a boy or a girl or... I don't know. I guess..." He muttered. He just wanted to go back to sleep, and wake up back in his room or Giotto's room or something. He wanted to wake up from this messed up dream.

Giotto watched his every movement, before glancing at the clock and then back at Jesse. It had been a long day. He was going to be in the hospital for a while, and everything was still settling in. It was likely everything would explode again later on. "Right...I think you should rest some more. It's been a very long day for you." Giotto said as he gave Jesse another hug. "I need to leave before my dad comes to my room to pick me up...but I'll come back tomorrow, alright? And I'll bring you some sweets to eat too, and maybe a couple of flowers." Giotto said as he gripped the edge of his hood slightly. "I'll be here before you know it, alright?" Giotto assured as he looked back at the clock, his heart dropping a beat. "Oh shoot..." He muttered as he started to take a step back. "I really want to stay...but I don't want my dad to find out I've been sneaking out of the house ya know." Giotto said. He had never been so unsure about a situation such as now.

Jesse slowly nodded. He understood that Giotto had his own life to attend to. He wouldn't want Giotto getting caught either especially since it might mean what they wouldn't be able to leave anymore. Jesse suddenly grabbed Giotto's wrist tightly, and whispered softly.

"Promise you'll come back..." He muttered, shifting in his bed a little which only made him grunt in pain.

"You have to come back..." Honestly Giotto was the only person Jesse could ever trust or talk to. There was Johnny sure, but it was different because Jesse and Giotto were around the same age and related to one another more. They watched each other's backs and supported one another.

Giotto stared at Jesse and quickly gave him a hug. "Of course!" Giotto said as he looked back at Jesse. "I'll come by to visit right after my morning lessons, early in the day. I'll spend the day with you, promise." Giotto said as he gently pulled away. "Good night, Jesse." With that Giotto walked away, disappearing within the moving crowd of the hospital to head home.

-NEXT DAY-

After early morning lessons, Giotto did anything he had to hand over to the tutor early to not worry about it later. Today he'd go visit Jesse as he promised. However he also took in consideration what Johnny had told him. He had to be careful of his identity. Otherwise trouble could be brewed and that wouldn't be good for his father to find out about. He took some color hair spray, coloring his red hair to a color blue. He had to be careful if it rained, a single drop of liquid would wash away the color. He was known for his hair the most, a single change would make a world of difference. He got dressed and once again sneaked out, getting some flowers and a box of chocolates on the way as a get well gift. Once he got to the hospital he led himself to Jesse's room, excited to who him his new little disguise. "Jesse."

Jesse was resting in his bed. He looked to be asleep before he opened his eyes to see Giotto. He couldn't help but chuckle before slipping into a small cough.

"What the hell? You look like a blueberry..." He said with a small grin. "Why did you make yourself look like a blueberry?" He tried to shift himself in bed so he could look at his friend. "Oh, Johnny went to see the baby... It's a girl. He told me to name her but I have no clue. Mimi or something I dunno. I want you to help me name her."

Giotto smiled. "Well this blueberry figured that he would need to look different if I want to walk around the city without worry of my dad or his associates finding out its me." Giotto said as he gave a small spin and handed Jesse his gifts. "Flowers and chocolates." Giotto said, pulling up a chair and sitting next to Jesse's bed. A name for the baby huh? "Mimi sounds reasonable...Hmmm..." Giotto thought of a possible name. "Maybe...name her after your mom?" Giotto suggested. As a memory, or some sort. "Lets see...Alice, Helix, Hanna?" Giotto suggested, pouting out any names that came to mind. He had an idea and took out his phone, using his powers to scan the web quickly. "Hmmm the name Mimi means 'uncertain'. Which could fit since we didn't know she was a girl until this morning?" Giotto asked. He had never had to name anything or anyone before...he just hoped his suggestions weren't that bad.

Jesse was very happy to see the chocolates. He would eat chocolate all day every day if he could. He looked at the flowers and set it down on the table next to his bed. The flowers were beautiful. He opened the chocolate and began to munch on them. The doctor advised it wouldn't be a good idea to eat, however Jesse didn't care one bit. He offered some chocolates to Giotto.

"I could spot you a mile away, blueberry." He said with a chuckle. "That meaning sounds so depressing though... I really like Hanna. We could name her Hanna and call her Mimi as like a nickname? I dunno. And the my mom's name could be her middle name. Agh, it's so damn hard..."

Giotto took a chocolate and ate it. "You're right, this is harder than I thought. My dad tells me mom named me after her favorite book character." Giotto said. "Hanna Patricia is a very pretty name. I like it!" Giotto said with a smile, right before clapping his hands together. "Oh Jesse you're going to be such a great big brother I know it! You're tough yet kind, you'll be the tough big brother boys will have to go through to win her heart! The one all boys shall fear and all her girl friends would ask if you're single!" Giotto said rather dramatically, remembering how in most movies there was always a protective big brother who would beat up anyone who broke his sister's heart.

Jesse chuckled. Giotto always held Jesse so highly, and he always looked up to him. It really made Jesse feel great about himself. Maybe this new little sister would feel the same way about Jesse one day when she's older.

"Yeah..." He said with a smile. "I'll beat up whoever hurts her. She'll love you too, hotshot. She'll think you're her brother too."

Giotto's eyes widened in joy of the thought. Brother. That sounded pretty good. "Brother...I'd be so honored to be her other brother! I'll protect her from bullies and bad people and if she ever has trouble on a school subject I'll help her with it too. Ah...by the time she's older I might have a job and save up, so I'll treat the two of you to a nice buffet I know at the end of the Silver Layer! I'll learn how to do pretty hair too." Giotto said as he thought about it. "But first we need to have you heal up." Giotto said as he took another chocolate and ate it. "I'll help you and Johnny out all the way. No matter what."

Jesse began to laugh. It hurt to laugh, however that didn't stop him. "Hell yeah you're going to have to help her with a subject in school. I suck at school. And you're going to do her hair too? You might as well be her sister instead." Jesse teased. Johnny arrived, and smiled at the fact that Jesse was laughing and smiling. "It looks like you're happy again." He commented. He took a seat right next to Giotto. He looked right to Giotto's hair. "Wow, did you stuff your head in a barrel of blueberries?"

Jesse snorted. "That's what I thought!"

Johnny nodded. He was actually impressed. "Good job kid. Sure it'll attract some attention but it looks good on you. Blue never really suited me." He ruffled Giotto's hair.

Giotto smirked at the blueberry comment once more. "You were the one who told me to be careful with my identity, and since my red hair is the most distinguished feature of me, I figured I'd mask that. It's worked good so far, I think." Giotto said with a chuckle before turning to face Johnny. "We were talking about names for the baby girl. We ended up coming with Hanna Patricia. I think it sounds nice. We also talked about how we're going to watch over her. I'm going to learn how to make pretty hairdos for her." Giotto said smiling. He paused and looked up at Jesse. "Jesse, as soon as you feel better, you should go see your baby sister. I bet she's the cutest little thing." Giotto said, thinking of how cute babies usually were at such young age.

Jesse nodded. He was extremely excited to see the baby. He still couldn't believe the fact that he's an older brother. "Yeah." He said with a smile. "I bet everyone who saw her is in love with her."

Johnny stood up. "Well, we could go see the baby right now. They moved her here since this is a children's hospital. I can take you to go see her Giotto, and then we could take a picture for Jesse so he could see what she looks like."

Jesse began to munch again on his chocolate.

"Go ahead hotshot." Jesse said. "I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of my baby sister before I get better."

Giotto stood up and gave a nod. He followed Johnny down the hall and down one floor. They talked to a nurse who quickly recognized Johnny and led them away to where the baby was. "She has been doing well for being born prematurely. She will have to stay a bit more time here until she is more developed, but soon enough she should be able to go home with no problem." The nurse explained as she led them to the Neonatal Unit, to a specific cot (incubator). Inside was a tiny baby sleeping. "This is her. She still needs a name though." The Nurse said. "We're deciding on a name already." Giotto said as he took a step forward, looking at the baby sleeping within the incubator. She was wearing a pink hat and pink socks, wearing patches and other stuff to keep up with her vitals. Giotto hadn't seen a baby this small before, or at least this young. He would be afraid to even get too close in fear of her shattering into pieces. "She's..." Giotto said. He sniffled. "She's so cute, Johnny!" Giotto said, wiping a few tears from his eyes. It was just beautiful, to see her alive and small. He took a picture with his phone, smiling. "Jesse's going to squeal."

Johnny felt his heart melt at the scene of the baby. He watched as she rested, and move her arms here and there as well as her tiny feet. He placed his hand on the glass and felt an instant connection to the tiny little newborn girl. "If only Patricia was still here..." Johnny whispered softly. "This baby is so beautiful. Take extra pictures for Jesse kid!" He cheered. He heard the sound of footsteps nearby, and turned around to see a cop with jet black scruffy hair and green eyes.

"I can see you fell in love with that cutie." The cop said with a smile.

"Mikele!" Johnny said as he hugged the cop. He looked to Giotto.

"Kid, this is my friend Mikele. He talked to Jesse after you left yesterday to get a statement. He's very nice and he's actually an artist. He draws descriptions of criminals for the police."

Mikele smiled and reached out his hand to shake Giotto's. "It's nice to meet you! What's your name sport?"

Giotto took pictures of the baby girl from every angle possible, being careful of course. Once Jesse took a look at these photos he was going to cry and demand to be able to see her in person, he just knew it. He looked up at the officer, who seemed to be a friend of Johnny's. Giotto got his phone away in his pocket and looked up at the man, smiling slightly as Johnny did the introductions. "(Oh he's just a friend. Thank goodness, I thought dad had found out and sent one of his guys after me.)" Giotto thought in relief. He extended his hand and shook the officer's hand politely. "Hello! I'm Giotto. Nice to meet you, mister Mikele." Giotto said as he returned his attention to the baby. He couldn't take his eyes off her.

"Ahh Giotto... That's the name of the big guy's son! Wow I didn't think anyone else had that name." He chuckled and patted Giotto's back. He saw that Giotto and Johnny kept looking at the baby, and Mikele frowned. He slowly placed his hand on Johnny's shoulder.

"Johnny... There's a reason that I'm here... I have to tell you something." Mikele looked to the baby.

Johnny looked to Mikele, noticing that he was looking at the baby. Johnny suddenly felt extremely nervous.

"Yes...?" He asked softly.

Giotto breathed a sigh of relief. "(Maybe if my name was Bob I wouldn't have such difficulty.)" Giotto thought. His father showed him off way too much. Worse. He showed everyone his baby pictures! Hearing the sudden serious tone from Mikele, Giotto cleared his throat. "I'm going to go ahead and show Jesse the pictures. Excuse me." Giotto said as he bowed his head and walked out of the room. Following the steps he used to get there, he found himself on his way to Jesse's room. "Jesse, you're not going to believe how cute your sister is!" Giotto said with a big smile, walking over next to him and pulling up his phone, showing him the pictures he had taken. "She's so tiny and cute! The nurse said that after she is stable, she'd be able to go home. Look at her feet!" Giotto said as he almost leaned on over Jesse, showing him the photos.

Jesse for a moment completely forgot every single trouble he ever had in the past as he looked at the little girl in the pictures. Never had he seen such an adorable baby before. This was his little sister. Right there he vowed to always protect her and to keep her safe. He reached out to touch the screen almost hoping that he could just pull her out of it and hold her. He would not take his eyes off the picture at all.

"She's so... She's so pretty." He said with a soft smile. "Look at her cheeks! They're so chubby!" He stared at the picture in awe for a few minutes until Johnny came into the room. He looked very distressed.

"Johnny!" Jesse said excitedly. "Look at these pictures! As soon as she gets better I don't care if I'm still hurt or not- I'm going to take her home!"

Johnny slowly shook his head and stared at the the side. He didn't dare make eye contact with Jesse or Giotto.

"The police are taking her, Jesse." He muttered. "Child services are going to put her in adoption and you in foster care. Unless someone in the system adopts you both, you're going to be separated from her, and from us." Johnny rubbed the back of his head. "I'll try to stop this... I can't even get the police to help. It's child services that is going to handle it."

The happiness in the room slowly faded away. They were...going to take them away? What? No. That couldn't happen. What if they were taken away and out of the city? Out of the country for all they knew? Even if they still lived in the city...unless someone adopted them both together, they would be raised apart. "What?...No...that's terrible! What...how can this...I mean...I understand that some stuff happened but they're siblings, they should be together, they have to be together, right? They aren't going to let them separate...right?" Giotto asked, despair in his voice. He had gotten too attached to them. They were part of his family. He couldn't possibly let something so terrible just let it be and happen. "Johnny...you're a legal adult right? Could you adopt them? Unless we find someone who's willing to adopt the two..." Giotto muttered, nervous. Now this was a bad situation.

Johnny rubbed the back of his head. "I know I am." He said. "They're very strict on who can adopt. I live in a basement in one of the most dangerous streets in the city. I don't even have a valid job. I'm just a garbage man and I barely make enough to feed myself ramen and Mickey D's. I'm going to try my best to prove to them that I can take care of a child. I'll be lucky if they let me even adopt one. I'm going to try and make sure I at least adopt the baby girl." He really was unsure of what to do. He would have to make himself appear completely suitable to take care of a child. He would have to over exaggerate and bulls*** everything. Even if he got lucky enough, most likely he'll have to pick between Jesse or the baby.

Jesse didn't say anything at first. Again his mind wasn't even registering what was being said. Everything that was going on in his brain for the past few days was just nothing but a roller coaster out of control. He wasn't even angry this time.

"Sure. I don't care if they take me. Just make sure you take our sister." He said, the 'our' referring to himself and Giotto. "I'll just run away or give them hell. I don't care."