Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Toddler Naruto

Ethernet/Wi-Fi Problem?

Does anyone here know why our PC loses internet connection when I plug the ethernet cable into our Xfinity Wireless Gateway?

The Wi-Fi does work, and when the Comcast technician connected his laptop to our internet via ethernet, he got impressive speeds.

System Info:
PC Model: HP 110-326 Desktop
CPU: Intel Pentium G2030T @ 2.60 GHz
RAM: 4.0 GB
Video: Intel HD Graphics
HDD: 500 GB

I had a router that kept losing connection, and when nothing worked, I just stuck the ethernet cable directly in my pc (skipping the router). I know that's a bad solution, but hey. If your router works one time and it doesn't another, it might be faulty.

Maybe the PC's wifi settings is set to conserve energy? I believe you have to go to devices to find that option iirc. I remember a few years back my PC would lose connection and apparently it was due to that. It would shut on and off, even though the notification symbol indicated otherwise. 

If not, the router is most likely failing.

Okay, so, wi-fi works and ethernet works. Are they working at the same time, or can you only do one or the other? i.e. use ethernet, get no wi-fi, or use wi-fi, get no ethernet. What did the tech say about the problem?

Do you have Xfinity as a cable and phone provider as well?  I know with AT&T, they lowered our internet speed to the point where it was useless untill we switched to Uverse.  Maybe Comcast does the same thing?

I went ahead and bought an USB 2.0 Wired Ethernet Network adapter, so far it's working perfectly. Heck, my connection actually improved from 6 mBps to 8 mBps after I switched from wi-fi to ethernet.

I would still like to fix the PC's built-in Ethernet Network Adapter though, so I don't have to rely on the USB Adapter.

Posted Image

Edited by Toddler Naruto