Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sora96

Tons of Mobius Final Fantasy screenshots & impressions

Maybe PS3 quality, but it's certainly not next gen console quality in my opinion.

Well the problem with attempting PS4/Xbox One-level graphics would be you could only have the high end smartphones be able to play it.

Well the problem with attempting PS4/Xbox One-level graphics would be you could only have the high end smartphones be able to play it.

I am just scratching my head at the logic... Is there really a demand by mobile gamers for games like this? That's the problem I am having, is trying to figure out where the demand is. Most mobile gamers I know are not interested in such intensive titles. IDK, it's a very risky move to invest this much into a platform that is targeted towards casual players with such a serious game.

I am just scratching my head at the logic... Is there really a demand by mobile gamers for games like this? That's the problem I am having, is trying to figure out where the demand is. Most mobile gamers I know are not interested in such intensive titles. IDK, it's a very risky move to invest this much into a platform that is targeted towards casual players with such a serious game.

Well they've already had about half a million pre-register in Japan.

Well they've already had about half a million pre-register in Japan.

Well the mobile market is bigger in Japan, I'll give you that, I am just curious as to why so many developers think that the smartphone market is going to be the next big thing. Dedicated gaming devices are riskier, yes but at the end of the day they deliver the more memorable experiences. I have yet to hear the same amount of people tell me about all their fond memories of smart phone games they have been playing versus a game on the PC or a gaming console.

I really feel that investing into the smartphone market so heavily is a VERY risky move because it's a constantly changing market. Considering that most devs (Square included) seem to abandon games after a year or so on smartphones it leads to very low compatibility once android and iOS updates come out. Hell, apparently people can't even get Chrono Trigger running on fairly current Android phones because of compatibility issues, and people are not going to buy new phones to play games repeatedly.

Not to mention there is no promise that Android and iOS will remain the big thing. Remember when iOS was "certain" that Android was no threat? Now a majority of smart phones are androids. Who is to say the next big thing won't come out and change that? Hell for all we know Microsoft could make a full desktop windows phone that can play PC games (unlikely) and work as a phone. If they did that it may just kill the entire mobile market off entirely. Phones could become full desktop OSes at some point too considering how powerful they are getting. The problem is that the market is unpredictable and it's changing so fast that focusing so heavily on it might be a big risk.

While phones are getting more powerful, their usefulness vs. dedicated gaming devices is debatable. Lack of physical controls will continue to limit games, among other things.

However I could be wrong; I suppose we'll see.

Edited by Key Sharkz

Well the mobile market is bigger in Japan, I'll give you that, I am just curious as to why so many developers think that the smartphone market is going to be the next big thing. Dedicated gaming devices are riskier, yes but at the end of the day they deliver the more memorable experiences. I have yet to hear the same amount of people tell me about all their fond memories of smart phone games they have been playing versus a game on the PC or a gaming console.

I really feel that investing into the smartphone market so heavily is a VERY risky move because it's a constantly changing market. Considering that most devs (Square included) seem to abandon games after a year or so on smartphones it leads to very low compatibility once android and iOS updates come out. Hell, apparently people can't even get Chrono Trigger running on fairly current Android phones because of compatibility issues, and people are not going to buy new phones to play games repeatedly.

Not to mention there is no promise that Android and iOS will remain the big thing. Remember when iOS was "certain" that Android was no threat? Now a majority of smart phones are androids. Who is to say the next big thing won't come out and change that? Hell for all we know Microsoft could make a full desktop windows phone that can play PC games (unlikely) and work as a phone. If they did that it may just kill the entire mobile market off entirely. Phones could become full desktop OSes at some point too considering how powerful they are getting. The problem is that the market is unpredictable and it's changing so fast that focusing so heavily on it might be a big risk.

While phones are getting more powerful, their usefulness vs. dedicated gaming devices is debatable. Lack of physical controls will continue to limit games, among other things.

Chrono Trigger was updated, it's fine now.

Square Enix will continue to develop titles for all platforms.

Well as I said, I guess we'll see. The smartphone market will definitely continue to advance, but honestly I don't think it's "the future" like some of these devs seem to think. I believe it will co-exist with dedicated gaming devices because people crave different experiences and thus different devices will be needed to address those needs.

I will say though that these graphics are quite impressive for phone technology.

Edited by Key Sharkz

Well as I said, I guess we'll see. The smartphone market will definitely continue to advance, but honestly I don't think it's "the future" like some of these devs seem to think. I believe it will co-exist with dedicated gaming devices because people crave different experiences and thus different devices will be needed to address those needs.

I will say though that these graphics are quite impressive for phone technology.

They will co-exist. Home consoles, PC and mobile devices are the future. The only thing dying is handhelds.

They will co-exist. Home consoles, PC and mobile devices are the future. The only thing dying is handhelds.

I wouldn't say dying, just changing. The handhelds of tomorrow are going to incorporate a lot of aspects from mobile devices. Android OS being on NX I think is a sign of that change. It's almost an exciting change though to me. While if it's just a smartphone you need to play Nintendo games, that's kind of "meh" but if it's a Nintendo device that uses Android to get the mobile market into the handheld, then I'd say that's a win.