Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Forever

Kingdom Hearts III trailer analysis: Do the chess pieces represent the lights/darknesses?

Yes! I found these too but I couldn't remember where they were used so I left them out of my post. They look a lot more like the chess piece.

But i dont know if thats what it is the more i think about it...

But i dont know if thats what it is the more i think about it...

The hilt does look completely different. If we are going by what looks the closest to the chess piece then Peter Pan's Dagger looks pretty similar (however he only has one to my knowledge).

Posted Image

But I don't think any Disney characters expect Donald, Goofy, Mickey (and perhaps Maleficent and Pete in some way) would get involved with this. Oh and Jiminy Cricket if he is still hiding in Sora's hair.  xD

I wonder if anyone found out if the raised platforms mean anything too. Anyways, here are some enhanced pics of the chessboard along with that person's interpretations: 

Posted Image

Posted Image

woaw. The weird golden thingies are heartless heads...That's what we think.

Edited by PrinceNoctis

I think Terra is represented by the golden chess piece that Eraqus has. I think it's meant to represent his comeback from Darkness, he's been taken by Eraqus because the good guys (light side) are going to save him from the dark side...Maybe I'm overthinking :/ The chess piece also looks like the TAV insignia but we can't really see it clearly...

That's the exact piece I was trying to make out! Good on yer! Eraqus also takes another piece of Xehanort's while Xehanort only gets one. ???

Sweeeeet catch! I didn't even notice that.....So there's hope for poor Terra after all- But 2quid is correct, Xehanort takes a couple.......I think that one of the current Lights may get taken for good, but who? Hmm...

With the HD version of the trailer, we can see that the chess piece Eraqus has is actually another chess piece with a Vanitas insignia...So, no Terra symbolism :(

I wonder if anyone found out if the raised platforms mean anything too. Anyways, here are some enhanced pics of the chessboard along with that person's interpretations: 

Posted Image

Posted Image

With the HD version of the trailer, we can see that the chess piece Eraqus has is actually another chess piece with a Vanitas insignia...So, no Terra symbolism :(

WOW, you guys have taken this simple observation and transformed it into a serious study!!! O.O Taking screenshots and breaking down each piece.....incredible work, guys!!!

And, hmm....I see.......I really do hope they release a full diagram of the Chessboard, sometime...it would make things a little easier to confirm. :) As for the Two Heartless pieces however, I think those are meant to reprent Ansem and his Guardian? Notice how one is behind the other, and positioned higher. Same stance the Guardian takes when Ansem summons him.

And, hmm....I see.......I really do hope they release a full diagram of the Chessboard, sometime...it would make things a little easier to confirm. :) As for the Two Heartless pieces however, I think those are meant to reprent Ansem and his Guardian? Notice how one is behind the other, and positioned higher. Same stance the Guardian takes when Ansem summons him.

yes I think they do represent that

Posted Image

Posted Image

Darkness

1.MX

2.Siax??

3. Xemnas??

4. Luxord

5. The Guardian/Ansem

6. Vanitas

7. Xigbar

8.?

9?

10?

11 Young Xehanort

12. Terra

In the very last shot of the Kingdom Hearts 3 E3 trailer, the camera zooms in on two chess pieces put forth by Xehanort and Eraqus. The piece Xehanort put forth resembles that of the keychain Xehanort eventually wields. The piece Eraqus puts forth resembles the pendant Sora wears in every game. 

My theory is that Sora and Xehanort fight one on one in the final battle of KH3. No help from Donald, Goofy, or anyone else for that matter. It's already stated pieces represent characters (i.e Vanitas symbol), but this last few frames might hold special consequence on what's to come. What do you all think? 

post-52186-0-11001400-1434517417_thumb.jpg

Sooooooo.... the final battle will be between Sora and Xehanort you say?...Gee, didn't see that one coming. :P

Seriously tho, it is pretty obvious what they're hinting at there, but that's kind of the point. It's no secret that it was always meant to be Sora vs Xehanort. The trailer just made it more dramatic.

Maybe. I mean, there are also other pieces clearly visible still, so the symbolism could just as easily be MX and his cronies vs. Sora and his bros. Who knows?

Yeah definitely. But I was talking about that last shot specifically. Like those two pieces reached a stalemate, facing each other.

Sooooooo.... the final battle will be between Sora and Xehanort you say?...Gee, didn't see that one coming. :P

Seriously tho, it is pretty obvious what they're hinting at there, but that's kind of the point. It's no secret that it was always meant to be Sora vs Xehanort. The trailer just made it more dramatic.

...well.

It's just interesting to know it will come down to those two. A lot of people speculated Terra would be the one to finish off Xehanort for taking his body.

Yea. Basically that last scene with the two kings symbolizes the image of Xehanort vs Sora in the final battle of the game. Alongside them are their allies (the other chess pieces). Xehanort's allies (Heartless, Braig, Isa, Luxord, and Young Xehanort) and Sora's friends (Mickey, Riku, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, Ven, Terra, Aqua) all with their unique individual chess piece. This is basically showing what we're going to expect near the end of the game, which is the best way in my opinion.

Honestly, this is a masterpiece of a cutscene. Nomura really planned this scene out well. I love how both Xehanort and Sora are at a standstill... one of them is waiting for the other to make their move... like on the brink of desperation, to see who will win: Light or Darkness. 

We even see Xehanort capture some of Eraqus's pieces with Eraqus capturing Xehanort's, making this a possible hint as a well (this could mean taking over bodies, or actually defeat, which means death).

Furthermore, this entire trailer was a phenomenon. I can't wait to see what Square has in store for us later this year. I hope they unveil Riku and Kairi's new forms in the mean time :D

Edited by Moochieh32

Yeah definitely. But I was talking about that last shot specifically. Like those two pieces reached a stalemate, facing each other. 

Could just be general symbolism- Light V. Dark and all that jazz. Or it could symbolize how MX and Eraqus eventually grow apart and become totally different ends of the spectrum, one way too much dark, the other way too much light. Doesn't necessarily predict anything new.

Yea. Basically that last scene with the two kings symbolizes the image of Xehanort vs Sora in the final battle of the game. Alongside them are their allies (the other chess pieces). Xehanort's allies (Heartless, Braig, Isa, Luxord, and Young Xehanort) and Sora's friends (Mickey, Riku, Kairi, Donald, Goofy, Ven, Terra, Aqua) all with their unique individual chess piece. This is basically showing what we're going to expect near the end of the game, which is the best way in my opinion.

Honestly, this is a masterpiece of a cutscene. Nomura really planned this scene out well. I love how both Xehanort and Sora are at a standstill... one of them is waiting for the other to make their move... like on the brink of desperation, to see who will win: Light or Darkness.

We even see Xehanort capture some of Eraqus's pieces with Eraqus capturing Xehanort's, making this a possible hint as a well (this could mean taking over bodies, or actually defeat, which means death).

Furthermore, this entire trailer was a phenomenon. I can't wait to see what Square has in store for us later this year. I hope they unveil Riku and Kairi's new forms in the mean time :D

Excellent point about the "defeated" pieces. Did you happen to catch which pieces were captured? If so, do you think that will foreshadow a related outcome in KH3?

Could just be general symbolism- Light V. Dark and all that jazz. Or it could symbolize how MX and Eraqus eventually grow apart and become totally different ends of the spectrum, one way too much dark, the other way too much light. Doesn't necessarily predict anything new.

Maybe it's a little more in depth than we think. Maybe I'm just over-analyzing.

Excellent point about the "defeated" pieces. Did you happen to catch which pieces were captured? If so, do you think that will foreshadow a related outcome in KH3?

I believe Eraqus captured a Vanitas piece, with Xehanort capturing one of the pieces I think belongs to Riku, given all of the other ones have connected characters already...

Edit: Scratch that. I think Riku's piece is the one with the heartless symbol *facepalm* I wonder who's the one with the weird symbol that we haven't seen yet in the series? Terra? 

Edited by Moochieh32

Not on Tumblr :( but I would imagine I'm not the only one who thinks this. And damn it....ITS BEEN 2 YEARS! I HAVE TO SPECULATE!  

I believe Eraqus captured a Vanitas piece, with Xehanort capturing one of the pieces I think belongs to Riku, given all of the other ones have connected characters already...

Edit: Scratch that. I think Riku's piece is the one with the heartless symbol *facepalm* I wonder who's the one with the weird symbol that we haven't seen yet in the series? Terra? 

A few people are saying Terra is on Xehanort's side of the board because he's still part of Xehanort's vessel. But again, some pieces aren't even shown. Maybe he is one of the omitted pieces...

Wow you guys are awesome. My attention to detail is horrible, but you guys opened my eyes.

Interesting to see Luxord back. He was probably got the least screentime of any of the 13. Someone said they saw Demyx or Larxene as well, which is interesting because those are 3/4 somebodies left unaccounted for. So we may know close to all 13 darknesses pretty well if we assume riku-ansem, terra, and vanitas are 3.

She also mentions that the "dice" could be from Xemnas' lesser Nobodies (Sorcerers) when they attack with those cubes.

But maybe I'm just agreeing with her because I don't want Luxord to be evil.

Edited by Rinax

What about the one with the sun? I wonder who or what it represents...

might represent Lea since the Sun is a ball of fire and all

Lea on the dark side...NOOOOOOOOOO! :( I swear this game is going to blow my mind, I feel betrayals coming.

The Sun chest piece could represent Axel/Lea since Isa is represented by the moon (not on the chest board but in other stuff).

I think some are supposed to be Donald and Goofy on the chessboard. Just hard to make out. 

Also, guys, I think the "sun" piece is supposed to be Isa, since his weapon has that kind of symbol on it

See? 

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/kingdomhearts/images/c/cf/Sa%C3%AFx_Action_Render_KHII.png/revision/latest?cb=20110807040817

It's not a sun! It has a crescent moon in it! Did nobody remember what Saix's weapon looked like? It's in the same shape! xP

Yeah definitely. But I was talking about that last shot specifically. Like those two pieces reached a stalemate, facing each other....well.It's just interesting to know it will come down to those two. A lot of people speculated Terra would be the one to finish off Xehanort for taking his body.

...Really? I have not heard that theory even once. That sounds like the least likely scenario in my mind. I mean, sure, right before or in the middle of the 13 vs 7 clash, but during the final final battle? Nah, there's never been any question in my mind that it would be ONLY Sora vs Xehanort in the end...well, unless one or two friends wanted to help out. But I really doubt that Terra will be the wildcard that foils Xehanort's plan.

Edited by Flaming Lea

Hey guys! I am the guy who created this image http://i.imgur.com/BriXYra.jpg for reddit, and I want to add some things I've thought since.

• With the HD trailer releases, I can confirm that those pieces represent both Terra and Aqua. In fact, the question mark right next to Sora, may also be Terras. But why two of them? I may have an eplanation below.
  • The two pieces over Vanitas are, as you people already said, Xehanot's Guardian. I don't know how I missed that xD
  • The black piece over Eraqus side is probably also Vanitas, but I cant 100% confirm that. Even in the HD trailer is kindda confusing.

So I wanna take a closer look at the movements of the pieces, maybe they are hinting some future events.

In the minute 2:09 of the trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaTjCvUZjck): Xehanort says:

"On that land shall darkness prevail and light expire" Right after that, he takes one of his pieces and defeat one of Terras."The future its already been written"

Now is when Eraqus intervenes: "Who says I can't chage it? And maybe light will prevail" The other Terra's piece is shown at Sora's side, while this one takes care of the guardian (which is speculated to be very related to Terra) "There is more light than meets the eye. You might be surprised!"

"Well I hope so" The trailer ends with Soras and Xehanorts pieces facing eachother.

Would this mean that Terra will be saved by Sora, and being one of the 7 light? I was against that before the trailer, but I changed my mind. Also, there is no representation of Lea, which was speculated to be one of the lights.

Lastly, I want to speculate about that star seen in the black side (number 8 in this image http://i794.photobucket.com/albums/yy230/ShardofTruth/Other%20KH%20stuff/Chess%20Pieces%20KHIII.png).

It looks like a star, but it's not a star like we've seen before. The star we are used to with the paopu fruit and the lucky charms are 5-pointed stars, while this one seems to be 6-pointed. I've been crazy looking for a 6-shaped star in the KH universe, and the only thing I could find is this. The keychain from Unicornus keyblade. It does not resemble very much, if at all. http://th08.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/204/8/5/x__chi__keyblade_unicornis_by_marduk_kurios-d6dgyv9.png

But its 6-shaped and the chess piece has a hole in the middle, where the "eye of darkness" should be. Dont take my too serious on this one, I'm just exploring all the possibilities I can.

Anyways, what do you think? Oh, and sorry for my bad English :P

Keep theorizing!

Edited by Silan28

Supposed if Luxord was one of the thirteen seekers of darkness... why as he selected? Unlike Isa and Braig, Luxord did have anything subtle or distinguishing for him to be considered to be a vessel for Xehanort? I just do not understand... any thoughts?

Supposed if Luxord was one of the thirteen seekers of darkness... why as he selected? Unlike Isa and Braig, Luxord did have anything subtle or distinguishing for him to be considered to be a vessel for Xehanort? I just do not understand... any thoughts?

I'm struggling with this as well. Luxord fighting on Xehanorts side doesn't make any sense at all. He was not a vessel, unlike Isa and Braig, unless this is something that has just been kept secret all the time. At least there is nothing that hints towards it.Also, why would he or any of the other former members want to aid Xehanort after learning about the Organizations true goal?

I'm struggling with this as well. Luxord fighting on Xehanorts side doesn't make any sense at all. He was not a vessel, unlike Isa and Braig, unless this is something that has just been kept secret all the time. At least there is nothing that hints towards it.Also, why would he or any of the other former members want to aid Xehanort after learning about the Organizations true goal?

Luxord might have been or may be forced to become a vessel for Xehanort. I mean think about it, I don't believe that Isa agreed to become a vessel or even a member of the original Organization XIII. Heck, I don't even think he knew he became one until it was too late.