Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Soravids

Nomura says basic foundation for Kingdom Hearts III is 'close to complete'

...that's not good

this is still earlier than most games would be announced

..excerpt it's pretty clear that they've kept being further ahead than everything they've claimed. I'm not saying this doesn't have truth to it, but he could be saying that on one hand, but on the other hand hand, other elements are also just as far ahead 

...that's not good

this is still earlier than most games would be announced

One of few times I agree with you, this is a bad sign. This is really early in development, and if they're going at this snail's pace the entire time, you can expect it in 2017/18 at this rate.

So what exactly dose this mean, from what I can seem to take from it is that they just finished getting all the small stuff that they want to have in the game, such as the mini-games, that doesn't seem all that promising that they are anywhere close to where they want to be, again I'm not 100% sure of what he exactly means by this and reading it didn't seem to help all that much, I mean if it was about story and development then I would understand but this...it just makes me think that this game is like 5% done if not less

Its a pretty bad thing. These are very early parts of development that they're just finishing. They announced in in 2014 (I think?) And they're just finishing on some early development stuff? That's not good news. Unless they push it out fast (though thst could lead to Sonic 06 levels of bugs or unfinished work) it's going to take them forever to have anything done at all.

So the first bunch of comments was positive and then the "This isn't good" comments come in.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. What do you mean?

..excerpt it's pretty clear that they've kept being further ahead than everything they've claimed. I'm not saying this doesn't have truth to it, but he could be saying that on one hand, but on the other hand hand, other elements are also just as far ahead

This is extremely early development stuff, it's bad news to hear stuff this early in development is just being finished about maybe a year and some time later since known date of project being started. It means that this game is either going to be in development hell for a long time, or get pushed out too quickly and become a train wreck.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. What do you mean?

This isn't a good pace, most games wouldn't be announced until after the basic foundation was done

you honestly think they lie about their progress in a way that makes them look WORSE? Seriously?

Keep in mind Nomura's definition of a "basic foundation" and any of ours are likely quite different.

not really, a basic foundation is a basic foundation. It's the core elements needed to make the game. The trailers reflect this

Basic elements of the game:

Character design

Very basic Physics

Destructible environmental pieces (if they exist they must have programming beyond telling it that it must function as a wall. They're a bit more advanced though...)

Core gameplay elements (basic combos, some magics, HP and MP being added (those are a little later on in because it's more of a gameplay balancing thing than a core element, but they are important to the core gameplay none the less) walking animations and running animations as well as speed of movement, jumping and jump hight might also fall under this)

Which sounds like a lot, right?

You also have to model and design the terrain, create textures for characters and land, design character models, build it all in a rendering program, code it all to do something, and then you have the basics of what you might put in a trailer. From there you would probably start implimenting the quest flags or other methods of witholding progression without completing a certain story segment and implimenting the basics for a few cutscene's, set up a few levels/areas in a light way (just enough for you to use it in a trailer) and then, maybe a trailer to show off that it exists or is being worked on.

They announced the Engine change last Autumn, and then it turned out the Engine change was actually prior to E3 2013. Do you see where i'm going with this? Combined with the fact they said what they just showed at E3 was just a snippet of the full assets, and I'm led to believe the basic foundations were completed at least a year ago. My further reasoning is that they do this because of what happened last Gen, and so, they withhold on the true progress, and we then see it sooner than we're led to believe. 

I will admit I could be wrong in this instance, but recent revealments feel like this viewpoint has weight. Whether it looks worse to you not is up to personal interpretation. I'm just trying to view it neutrally. 

Edited by MysticVriska

Oh my firetrucking gosh. I am just getting tired of these comments on every KHIII article for the last ten years. I seriously had to take a break from this fandom.

How many of you work or have a degree or any experience in Gaming design? How many of you know how to Program? Not many, I suppose. 

Who are you to judge how this game is progressing if you ain't there?

If you got some legit tea, spill it. Other than that please, stop thinking you are holier-than-thou with your theories of grandeur ignorance.

Oh damn, this definitely makes me even happier!  The fact that the game is progressing along so smoothly gives me great joy!  You know, now Winter 2016 doesn't seem like such a far-fetched release date for Kingdom Hearts III!  And I think it's awesome that we get these small tidbits of the game's progression as the year goes by!  With these small bit of news, I'm sure we'll be able to wait for D23 in November! :D

This pretty much guarantees a winter 2016 release date unless something goes wrong and they have to delay. They should be able to finish the rest of the game in 18 months (December 2016)

I would laugh so hard if Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out BEFORE Final Fantasy XV

not gonna happen. FFXV is most likely coming out later this year or early next year since its almost done

I interpreted this as the primary Kingdom Hearts storyline (keyblade war, end of Xehanort Saga) being complete.

Edited by Guest

Oh my firetrucking gosh. I am just getting tired of these comments on every KHIII article for the last ten years. I seriously had to take a break from this fandom.

How many of you work or have a degree or any experience in Gaming design? How many of you know how to Program? Not many, I suppose. 

If you got some legit tea, spill it. Other than that please, stop thinking you are holier-than-thou with your theories of grandeur ignorance.

Well, I'm actually trying to be a game developer, sorry to burst your bubble.

Also, I'm going off of what I know. If they only have the basics nearly done, they have a long road ahead before it's ready. Having the basics done is a big boost, but if they're just now getting it done, that's a bad thing. We can theorize all we want, if, according to them, only the basics are about done, we can only say as they tell us. And after a year in development on this, the absolute basics should have been done already. As far as we know for sure, they have released that they finished the basics. That is not good for a game a year into known development. If they told us "Yeah, it's 50% done" or something, this would be closer to OK. But a whole YEAR into known development without core gameplay is BAAAAAAAD.

Basic elements of the game:Character designVery basic PhysicsDestructible environmental pieces (if they exist they must have programming beyond telling it that it must function as a wall. They're a bit more advanced though...)Core gameplay elements (basic combos, some magics, HP and MP being added (those are a little later on in because it's more of a gameplay balancing thing than a core element, but they are important to the core gameplay none the less) walking animations and running animations as well as speed of movement, jumping and jump hight might also fall under this)Which sounds like a lot, right?You also have to model and design the terrain, create textures for characters and land, design character models, build it all in a rendering program, code it all to do something, and then you have the basics of what you might put in a trailer. From there you would probably start implimenting the quest flags or other methods of witholding progression without completing a certain story segment and implimenting the basics for a few cutscene's, set up a few levels/areas in a light way (just enough for you to use it in a trailer) and then, maybe a trailer to show off that it exists or is being worked on.

While this could well not refer to what THEY consider the basics, it's worth noting that even the, this refers to the basics in an unpolished state. Things still need to be balanced, tested, all that good stuff

They announced the Engine change last Autumn, and then it turned out the Engine change was actually prior to E3 2013. Do you see where i'm going with this? Combined with the fact they said what they just showed at E3 was just a snippet of the full assets, and I'm led to believe the basic foundations were completed at least a year ago. My further reasoning is that they do this because of what happened last Gen, and so, they withhold on the true progress, and we then see it sooner than we're led to believe. 

I will admit I could be wrong in this instance, but recent revealments feel like this viewpoint has weight. Whether it looks worse to you not is up to personal interpretation. I'm just trying to view it neutrally. 

Basically you really hope it's coming soon. I get that, but there's literally no reason to pretend you're way behind on your game

Benn studying game design since I was a kid, and I follow this sort of thing as a hybrid job/hobby. This is basic stuff though, you don't need to be a game designer to know what the basic elements of a game are, and simple observation can give you plenty of insight into how long it takes to do what in a game, on average. Honestly it's a much holier than thou attitude to assume everyone talking about something is wrong just because you don't want to hear it

Also, I'm going off of what I know. If they only have the basics nearly done, they have a long road ahead before it's ready. Having the basics done is a big boost, but if they're just now getting it done, that's a bad thing. We can theorize all we want, if, according to them, only the basics are about done, we can only say as they tell us. And after a year in development on this, the absolute basics should have been done already. As far as we know for sure, they have released that they finished the basics. That is not good for a game a year into known development. If they told us "Yeah, it's 50% done" or something, this would be closer to OK. But a whole YEAR into known development without core gameplay is BAAAAAAAD.

The basics, as anybody SHOULD be able to tell by the name, are the basics. They're the core fundamentals of the game, but they're far from the most time consuming element. KH games have anywhere between 4 and 10 hours of cutscenes, for example. Designing worlds takes huge numbers of resources, too. Level design needs to be made, tested, reworked to fit changes. Never mind polishing the gameplay, and adding all the bells and whistles BEYOND the basics.

The trailers look flashy, but it's easy to see how early in development it still is just by how the worlds look, the way Sora moves, the lack of a real HUD

While this could well not refer to what THEY consider the basics, it's worth noting that even the, this refers to the basics in an unpolished state. Things still need to be balanced, tested, all that good stuff Basically you really hope it's coming soon. I get that, but there's literally no reason to pretend you're way behind on your game Benn studying game design since I was a kid, and I follow this sort of thing as a hybrid job/hobby. This is basic stuff though, you don't need to be a game designer to know what the basic elements of a game are, and simple observation can give you plenty of insight into how long it takes to do what in a game, on average. Honestly it's a much holier than thou attitude to assume everyone talking about something is wrong just because you don't want to hear it The basics, as anybody SHOULD be able to tell by the name, are the basics. They're the core fundamentals of the game, but they're far from the most time consuming element. KH games have anywhere between 4 and 10 hours of cutscenes, for example. Designing worlds takes huge numbers of resources, too. Level design needs to be made, tested, reworked to fit changes. Never mind polishing the gameplay, and adding all the bells and whistles BEYOND the basics.The trailers look flashy, but it's easy to see how early in development it still is just by how the worlds look, the way Sora moves, the lack of a real HUD

I assumed we were going bare bones basic, these are core elements to any game and are a nesssity to the gameplay basics, so I wrote them as the basics that need to be done then there may be more or less to them, we don't have a list of basic needed elements for their basic foundation first thing first is to make everything work in general, then refine it through things like gameplay balancing or level redesign. There are areas in the trailers we see now that may be cut in later games, i.e., Twilight Town, the area in the trailer where Sora has his KH2 outfit, ect as they cause too many issues for the game, or could just undergo a huge visual change. To me, balancing is more of a middle area of the game, when you have all your assets and gameplay mechanics set, and your ready to start laying the work for the challenge in the game, but I can understand lumping it in with early dev.

Exactly. The basics took them way too long, they have so much left to do in way of development, including all of what you said, beta testing, major and minor bug fixing, control sensitivity/how you manuver, texturing EVERYTHING, adding animation rigs to anything that moves, and more, on top of optimizing it for both XB1 and PS4, which if they're pool optimized will really hurt the game as well and more.... There is too much to do at this point after a year still.Honestly at this point I feel like this announcement was just made to bring hype into the masses and build up hype like with a lot of recent FF/Square Enix games in general as they often like to just ride the hype train as of late (say with the FF13 games, for instance...)

While this could well not refer to what THEY consider the basics, it's worth noting that even the, this refers to the basics in an unpolished state. Things still need to be balanced, tested, all that good stuff

Basically you really hope it's coming soon. I get that, but there's literally no reason to pretend you're way behind on your game

Benn studying game design since I was a kid, and I follow this sort of thing as a hybrid job/hobby. This is basic stuff though, you don't need to be a game designer to know what the basic elements of a game are, and simple observation can give you plenty of insight into how long it takes to do what in a game, on average. Honestly it's a much holier than thou attitude to assume everyone talking about something is wrong just because you don't want to hear it

The basics, as anybody SHOULD be able to tell by the name, are the basics. They're the core fundamentals of the game, but they're far from the most time consuming element. KH games have anywhere between 4 and 10 hours of cutscenes, for example. Designing worlds takes huge numbers of resources, too. Level design needs to be made, tested, reworked to fit changes. Never mind polishing the gameplay, and adding all the bells and whistles BEYOND the basics.

The trailers look flashy, but it's easy to see how early in development it still is just by how the worlds look, the way Sora moves, the lack of a real HUD

This is Square Enix who is known for its recent precarious Chaos. Mind you this is the same company that has not released FFXV and it has been 10 years but has managed to make a KH game each year. Stuff happens especially when you account for negotiations in the Financial Sector and international relations with Disney. Disney is not sitting around twiddling their thumbs for KH. They not too long ago just picked/picking the worlds which have to be approved to uphold the Disney standard in KH and the copyright which Disney is known for. 

Not saying that this is correct. It might be wrong, but it is a nice consideration.

Posted Image

This is the shit I was talking about. 

No one is saying anyone is wrong. 

Ya still ain't there, so your guess is as good as anyone else in this thread. 

BTW, I know game design and programming coding. Worked on many projects during grade school, but I hated it and chose Biochem in college instead. You don't see me up in here criticizing what Square Enix and all the others working on KHIII has probably done based off of very uncertain speculation. 

If (not totally certain) this news has any form of translation, it might not have expressed the original idea correctly. 

So, Holla, when you are working on Kingdom Hearts III and spill the true development tea. 

Posted Image

Other than that, your statements are pure speculation just like the rest of whom don't know anything about gaming design. 

So, don't bother quoting me, it is a waste of time. I don't have time or patience to write what I truly feel.

This is Square Enix who is known for its recent precarious Chaos. Mind you this is the same company that has not released FFXV and it has been 10 years but has managed to make a KH game each year. Stuff happens especially when you account for negotiations in the Financial Sector and international relations with Disney. Disney is not sitting around twiddling their thumbs for KH. They not too long ago just picked/picking the worlds which have to be approved to uphold the Disney standard in KH and the copyright which Disney is known for. 

Not saying that this is correct. It might be wrong, but it is a nice consideration.

Posted Image

This is the shit I was talking about. 

No one is saying anyone is wrong. 

Ya still ain't there, so your guess is as good as anyone else in this thread. 

BTW, I know game design and programming coding. Worked on many projects during grade school, but I hated it and chose Biochem in college instead. You don't see me up in here criticizing what Square Enix and all the others working on KHIII has probably done based off of very uncertain speculation. 

If (not totally certain) this news has any form of translation, it might not have expressed the original idea correctly. 

So, Holla, when you are working on Kingdom Hearts III and spill the true development tea. 

Posted Image

Other than that, your statements are pure speculation just like the rest of whom don't know anything about gaming design. 

So, don't bother quoting me, it is a waste of time. I don't have time or patience to write what I truly feel.

"Don't bother quoting me, it is a waste of time."

It's also a waste of time to defend what they have stated. We are talking about what has been told to us, and what we know. We may be wrong, but we also can't stroll up to SE and tell them to spill it all. So, we are talking about the information that we know as of right now. This isn't a good announcement for them for to be making, if they are closer to finished, they should actually tell us. Regardless of the actual situation, we only know what they tell us, and must pass judgement on it as such. What they have told us is they've drawn up the blueprints and started the project. EVEN IF THEY DON'T TELL US WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON, THIS IS WHAT THEY SAY THEY HAVE DONE, AND THAT IS A BAD THING. We should not defend any kind of lying or mediocrity. We should not buy into the hype that they're trying to drum up, because they're behind in development as far as we know. It may not be the actual case. But this is what we have been told. I'm not going to pretend this is a good thing when it in reality is not. 

And if they are lying, why would you be happy about that? You shouldn't be happy to have a lie said straight in front of your face.

(Also to note, if multiple people are saying it, there is likely a reason it's being said....)

It's also a waste of time to defend what they have stated. We are talking about what has been told to us, and what we know. We may be wrong, but we also can't stroll up to SE and tell them to spill it all. So, we are talking about the information that we know as of right now. This isn't a good announcement for them for to be making, if they are closer to finished, they should actually tell us. Regardless of the actual situation, we only know what they tell us, and must pass judgement on it as such. What they have told us is they've drawn up the blueprints and started the project. EVEN IF THEY DON'T TELL US WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON, THIS IS WHAT THEY SAY THEY HAVE DONE, AND THAT IS A BAD THING. We should not defend any kind of lying or mediocrity. We should not buy into the hype that they're trying to drum up, because they're behind in development as far as we know. It may not be the actual case. But this is what we have been told. I'm not going to pretend this is a good thing when it in reality is not. 

And if they are lying, why would you be happy about that? You shouldn't be happy to have a lie said straight in front of your face.

(Also to note, if multiple people are saying it, there is likely a reason it's being said....)

You do have a good point about this. The game is also showing up at D23, where we'll get more footage on the game, and Nomura could let us in in on a release date or a percentage of development . I'm just happy that we may have gotten a legitimate trailer or something.

You do have a good point about this. The game is also showing up at D23, where we'll get more footage on the game, and Nomura could let us in in on a release date or a percentage of development . I'm just happy that we may have gotten a legitimate trailer or something.

considering how freely percentages have been given for other KH ro Square games in the past, the fact that we don't have one for KH3 at this point SHOULD be setting off alarm bells

considering how freely percentages have been given for other KH ro Square games in the past, the fact that we don't have one for KH3 at this point SHOULD be setting off alarm bells

Yeah, I'll be honest, they never said anything. When do you think they'll tell us the development percantage?

If they are lying to us, they must have a reason, which is to probably make us kingdom hearts fans happy while kingdom hearts 3 is actually STILL in early development. 

I assumed we were going bare bones basic, these are core elements to any game and are a nesssity to the gameplay basics, so I wrote them as the basics that need to be done then there may be more or less to them, we don't have a list of basic needed elements for their basic foundation first thing first is to make everything work in general, then refine it through things like gameplay balancing or level redesign. There are areas in the trailers we see now that may be cut in later games, i.e., Twilight Town, the area in the trailer where Sora has his KH2 outfit, ect as they cause too many issues for the game, or could just undergo a huge visual change. To me, balancing is more of a middle area of the game, when you have all your assets and gameplay mechanics set, and your ready to start laying the work for the challenge in the game, but I can understand lumping it in with early dev.

Exactly. The basics took them way too long, they have so much left to do in way of development, including all of what you said, beta testing, major and minor bug fixing, control sensitivity/how you manuver, texturing EVERYTHING, adding animation rigs to anything that moves, and more, on top of optimizing it for both XB1 and PS4, which if they're pool optimized will really hurt the game as well and more.... There is too much to do at this point after a year still.Honestly at this point I feel like this announcement was just made to bring hype into the masses and build up hype like with a lot of recent FF/Square Enix games in general as they often like to just ride the hype train as of late (say with the FF13 games, for instance...)

You provide legitimate point, but, remember this. The longer Kingdom Hearts 3 takes then the more latest Disney content can be added to the game. If Kingdom Hearts 3 was to be theoretically released at 2009 then Tangled would not have been confirmed. Because this is a Disney associated game and Disney is on a roll right now with successful movies, these delays can be beneficial for the game to an extent.

Disney23 Expo Japan will provide us with far more Kingdom Hearts 3 news than E3. 

PS: Chief Dunga requests that you pay back your debt to your fellow Nopon.

You provide legitimate point, but, remember this. The longer Kingdom Hearts 3 takes then the more latest Disney content can be added to the game. If Kingdom Hearts 3 was to be theoretically released at 2009 then Tangled would not have been confirmed. Because this is a Disney associated game and Disney is on a roll right now with successful movies, these delays can be beneficial for the game to an extent. Disney23 Expo Japan will provide us with far more Kingdom Hearts 3 news than E3.  PS: Chief Dunga requests that you pay back your debt to your fellow Nopon.

Even still, the core basics of gameplay have nothing to really do with Disney, as they can test everything in, say, Twilight Town. The extended time may be good for it, but it also means it's not coming out likely till 2017 at least, and after a year of known development, that's a pretty bad progress rate.PS: Tell Chief Dunga that Riki move out and to homhom froend's homes, Riki of Chief Dunga nothing!