Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Minato arisato

Kh Series evaluation/re-structure (Spoilers)

So I thought I'd bring this topic to light by saying my thoughts on series since its still fresh in everyone's mind of the new Kh3 trailer.

However some of the things I bring up might be nitpicking to you or might be offensive to you. Lastly before I begin, this topic is going to be long and to some drawn out of a discussion.

Plot: first off the plot has really pushed away the Disney worlds from focus, while also having the FF characters sometimes interacting with the plot but overall kh2 and onward have done this and the worlds are simply filler leading into a conclusion, which it's half assed to me. You simply just play through the movies with no plot importance whatsoever. KH1 has written plots that involved heartless and the keyblade wielder himself, unlike kh2 which has a ton of filler.

Example: in Halloween town, jack wanted to control the heartless for Halloween but oogie starts trouble and you have to stop him, that plot is not from the movie, and many more have plots that connect to the main plot but also have their sub movie plot.

Another thing I hate what Normura is doing by adding things into the plot of left field, the lost masters and time travel for one, but I liked that thing where Ansem went crazy over it and was a seeker of darkness, leading a dark aspect that i liked as a kid but then nope, he's just saying was ansem, Then Ansem the wise a different character that doesn't even get fleshed out and doesn't make a appearance until 6 years later in ddd and also in bbs.

GAMEPLAY/WORLD DESIGN: overall people are content with the gameplay of bbs or ddd but I disagree with that, lately the games haven't been difficult and rather have stylish and fun fights, rather than exciting fights with challenge, most of the new titles need some balancing and honestly it's really bad, multiple bosses with little health, difficultly spikes, and cheap shots. Granted its a problem in the series in a whole but I didn't see it much in chain of memories or Kh1, this also brings me to another thing ALL WE'VE BEEN DOING LATELY IS JUST FIGHTING, HEARTLESS AND NOBODIES, DREAM EATERS AND UNVERSED. This needs to change badly, what happened to trinities, puzzles, mini games in a lot worlds, visiting a hub world where there was more things to do and collecting things, bring that kind of stuff back it was fun to do more than fighting. Okay I'm done with that, next world design is been meh honestly, it's been hallways leading to one area leading to other area with nothing in them,

EXAMPLE hollow bastion from kh2 is a really small world with that corridor that leads out of town and one path that is only for two boss fights and where you fight 1000 heartless, where the other path is the study with a terminal with tron's world.

DDD went out of that with open areas but it also fails due to the fact it's staying with just fighting in the world, with the timed challenges, and BBS is sorta of in the mix of kh2 and DDD in world design.

CHARACTERS: Here's the last topic, the characters haven't been getting as in depth as I want them to and some of it is due to the plot, Riku has had a conflict with darkness since the first game and I feel it's resolved in DDD, there's nothing to dwell on the sub plot unless you want to repeat the same sub plot, as for Sora, I loved his character in KH1 and in kh2 he becomes sort of used to everything, goofy and all around is mischievous, however not much as changed since those games, he's just a jolly idiot in DDD but I think everyone knows that, the problem is that in the main plot he really has no motivation to defeat xehanort, unlike Axel and Terra who do, and even Riku, that's an issue if a side character like Axel is more interesting than the main characters. Besides I can't take Xehanort's threats seriously if he's only killed one guy, not saying kill kairi but Normura is afraid to kill any characters off and the only good thing Normura has done so far is confirm that kairi is gonna be in the plot of kh3, that's a great step honestly.

Conclusion:

I would love to talk more on this subject but I can't bring up different random topics all over the place instead I leave you with a link to a video by Frustrated Jacob who also talks in depth about this topic, we overlap some subjects but some of his ideas are really good.

I would like to hear many people's thoughts on the subject, and cross examine ideas in which, possibly suggesting square to near the future

Edited by Minato arisato

Well , in KH I, Disney worlds were pretty important . Not only did they hold the Keyblade Holes that Sora had to lock but also most Princesses of Heart resided in them . From there and on , Disney characters didn't play an important role in the plot (apart from King Mickey , of course) so I gotta agree with ya on that one .

BBS gameplay was pretty horrible , in my opinion .But , hey, at least there was the "commands" melding .It was an interesting part of the game .Gameplay in KH II was pretty fun , too . Now about the fact that we always fight heartless , nobodies etc. You gotta fight someone . I mean SE can't have 100 Bosses included in every world so that you can fight them anytime you want . You gotta fight some goons . And they certainly can't only include mini-games and puzzles . It'd become boring .

As far as the world designs are concerned , I have to agree with you . Most worlds throughout the game series are small with 4-5 places to go and nothing to do. But as we saw in the new KH III trailer , this is going to be improved :

Posted Image

Check this topic out : http://kh13.com/forum/topic/87829-keyblade-abilities/ . There are great points made in there about Keyblade abilities and different gameplay interactions .

Kairi's story ,background and future , has not been developed correctly , if at all . We only get some good insights of her in BBS and in KH 1. I won't be surprised if this changes dramatically in KH III (it needs to ,anyway) . Riku's battle with darkness was a really interesting story but it became boring as it was developed a lot more than expected . Thank God , it ended in DDD .Axel/Lea will probably  be a character with a smaller role in KH III so here's hoping that Sora's character is fixed . But , to be honest with you , he's not supposed to be serious all the time .He hangs out with Donald and Goofy . It's impossible to stay serious . Heck , this ain't Max Payne , that's Kingdom Hearts we're talking about ! Also , I don't think Nomura's idea about Xehanort was to become a threat by killing people . It was more like having Xehanort unleash hell in every world possible so that he can get closer to unlocking Kingdom Hearts and finding out what knowledge and power it holds .

Edited by Nick Sideris

So I thought I'd bring this topic to light by saying my thoughts on series since its still fresh in everyone's mind of the new Kh3 trailer.However some of the things I bring up might be nitpicking to you or might be offensive to you. Lastly before I begin, this topic is going to be long and to some drawn out of a discussion.Plot: first off the plot has really pushed away the Disney worlds from focus, while also having the FF characters sometimes interacting with the plot but overall kh2 and onward have done this and the worlds are simply filler leading into a conclusion, which it's half assed to me. You simply just play through the movies with no plot importance whatsoever. KH1 has written plots that involved heartless and the keyblade wielder himself, unlike kh2 which has a ton of filler.Example: in Halloween town, jack wanted to control the heartless for Halloween but oogie starts trouble and you have to stop him, that plot is not from the movie, and many more have plots that connect to the main plot but also have their sub movie plot.Another thing I hate what Normura is doing by adding things into the plot of left field, the lost masters and time travel for one, but I liked that thing where Ansem went crazy over it and was a seeker of darkness, leading a dark aspect that i liked as a kid but then nope, he's just saying was ansem, Then Ansem the wise a different character that doesn't even get fleshed out and doesn't make a appearance until 6 years later in ddd and also in bbs.GAMEPLAY/WORLD DESIGN: overall people are content with the gameplay of bbs or ddd but I disagree with that, lately the games haven't been difficult and rather have stylish and fun fights, rather than exciting fights with challenge, most of the new titles need some balancing and honestly it's really bad, multiple bosses with little health, difficultly spikes, and cheap shots. Granted its a problem in the series in a whole but I didn't see it much in chain of memories or Kh1, this also brings me to another thing ALL WE'VE BEEN DOING LATELY IS JUST FIGHTING, HEARTLESS AND NOBODIES, DREAM EATERS AND UNVERSED. This needs to change badly, what happened to trinities, puzzles, mini games in a lot worlds, visiting a hub world where there was more things to do and collecting things, bring that kind of stuff back it was fun to do more than fighting. Okay I'm done with that, next world design is been meh honestly, it's been hallways leading to one area leading to other area with nothing in them,EXAMPLE hollow bastion from kh2 is a really small world with that corridor that leads out of town and one path that is only for two boss fights and where you fight 1000 heartless, where the other path is the study with a terminal with tron's world.DDD went out of that with open areas but it also fails due to the fact it's staying with just fighting in the world, with the timed challenges, and BBS is sorta of in the mix of kh2 and DDD in world design.CHARACTERS: Here's the last topic, the characters haven't been getting as in depth as I want them to and some of it is due to the plot, Riku has had a conflict with darkness since the first game and I feel it's resolved in DDD, there's nothing to dwell on the sub plot unless you want to repeat the same sub plot, as for Sora, I loved his character in KH1 and in kh2 he becomes sort of used to everything, goofy and all around is mischievous, however not much as changed since those games, he's just a jolly idiot in DDD but I think everyone knows that, the problem is that in the main plot he really has no motivation to defeat xehanort, unlike Axel and Terra who do, and even Riku, that's an issue if a side character like Axel is more interesting than the main characters. Besides I can't take Xehanort's threats seriously if he's only killed one guy, not saying kill kairi but Normura is afraid to kill any characters off and the only good thing Normura has done so far is confirm that kairi is gonna be in the plot of kh3, that's a great step honestly.Conclusion:I would love to talk more on this subject but I can't bring up different random topics all over the place instead I leave you with a link to a video by Frustrated Jacob who also talks in depth about this topic, we overlap some subjects but some of his ideas are really good.

I would like to hear many people's thoughts on the subject, and cross examine ideas in which, possibly suggesting square to near the future

Absolutely agree with everything you've said since I've been saying this exact stuff all the time yet people keep shrugging me as a hater despite being a huge fan of the series

Well , in KH I, Disney worlds were pretty important . Not only did they hold the Keyblade Holes that Sora had to lock but also most Princesses of Heart resided in them . From there and on , Disney characters didn't play an important role in the plot (apart from King Mickey , of course) so I gotta agree with ya on that one .

BBS gameplay was pretty horrible , in my opinion .But , hey, at least there was the "commands" melding .It was an interesting part of the game .Gameplay in KH II was pretty fun , too . Now about the fact that we always fight heartless , nobodies etc. You gotta fight someone . I mean SE can't have 100 Bosses included in every world so that you can fight them anytime you want . You gotta fight some goons . And they certainly can't only include mini-games and puzzles . It'd become boring .

As far as the world designs are concerned , I have to agree with you . Most worlds throughout the game series are small with 4-5 places to go and nothing to do. But as we saw in the new KH III trailer , this is going to be improved :

Posted Image

Check this topic out : http://kh13.com/forum/topic/87829-keyblade-abilities/ . There are great points made in there about Keyblade abilities and different gameplay interactions .

Kairi's story ,background and future , has not been developed correctly , if at all . We only get some good insights of her in BBS and in KH 1. I won't be surprised if this changes dramatically in KH III (it needs to ,anyway) . Riku's battle with darkness was a really interesting story but it became boring as it was developed a lot more than expected . Thank God , it ended in DDD .Axel/Lea will probably be a character with a smaller role in KH III so here's hoping that Sora's character is fixed . But , to be honest with you , he's not supposed to be serious all the time .He hangs out with Donald and Goofy . It's impossible to stay serious . Heck , this ain't Max Payne , that's Kingdom Hearts we're talking about ! Also , I don't think Nomura's idea about Xehanort was to become a threat by killing people . It was more like having Xehanort unleash hell in every world possible so that he can get closer to unlocking Kingdom Hearts and finding out what knowledge and power it holds .

Well my point on it is that the game gets repetitive and the series needs variety instead of grinding enemies 24/7 and as for Xehanort, we haven't seen him as a threat, the only part of him who was a problem was Ansem, you saw what happened to the worlds that were consumed by darkness

I can understand why you make these points. They're intelligent, and even I have noticed them as I've played through the first and second games.

Yes, I do feel that KH has strayed more from the Disney aspect of it. This personally didn't bother me much, as I like Disney but I'm not a Disney fangirl. Even so, I really enjoyed the Disney aspect in KH 1. But KH 2 was supposed to center around the Organization, so of course it would be less focused on the Disney aspect without the Princesses of Heart and less Maleficent in that game. I personally like the Organization and enjoyed learning about it, but I agree with you that the plot, while not less complex, was less focused on the series' original roots.

I do agree with your idea of the Disney worlds and the playing through the story plot. You're right; you simply play through the movies, without having much KH laced into it, unlike the first game. This is something I've even pointed out to my boyfriend, who got me into the series. In the first KH, the Disney worlds and their plots were slightly like their movies but very heavily affected by the KH plot, which I really liked. KH II's plot held little significance in the Disney worlds, agreed.

On the characters, I feel like the characters are already spelled out well, so they don't feel the need to keep the depth to the characters or focus on it, I guess because we all know it's just there, you know? I feel like they have depth on the characters that matter. The lesser Organization members and Twilight Town inhabitants...I don't expect good depth in people like those. But I think they aren't continuing the depth to the characters because they've already added so much depth to them. I personally like Riku having finally overcome the darkness threatening his heart. It was good character development through the first game and Chain of Memories, but now to me he stands as a beacon of hope, an example that one can overcome their past and create a better life from it. But with Sora, I can see what you mean with this. I feel like through the games they should have made him slowly decline in his happiness and emotional strength because of the hearts he is sheltering and their own negative emotions and the burden it is to him. They somewhat touched on this in DDD because that's what sent him spiraling into darkness, but... They didn't show the effects on him gradually over the series. I do feel like there hasn't been much character development with Sora lately. Hopefully we will see that in KH 3; I bet the stress and seriousness of that situation will change him.

All in all, I can understand the points you made and why you made them, and I agree with them all to a certain extent. We take the series as it is and love it anyway though. :) Very good discussion, and I'll definitely stay updated on it if you want to reply back.

Edited by Keylore

This Topic is Relevant Again (:

Life complete.

I agree with most of your ideas, and would like to add on one, which is little to no NPCs in worlds. 

Ofc, this was due to the limitations of the PS2, GBA, DS, and the 3DS. But we expect nothing more than alive worlds for the next kingdom hearts games.