Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Isamu Kuno

Why we will have an new song for KH3 and it will likely NOT be from Utada

I've seen the issue of the Kingdom Hearts 3 theme song floating around quite a bit recently so I'm here to explain to exactly what the title says.

After Kingdom Hearts 2 Utada decided she deserved more money, Disney would not pay and so they cut ties, This is why we have not had a new song since Kingdom Hearts 2. Now since the games came out before digital downloads were thing the contract they have does not include the rights to digital versions of Utada Hikaru's songs. This is why we have never had a full Kingdom Hearts game available digitally and since Sony wants all PlayStation 4 games to be available digitally just as all Vita games are, legally we cannot have either the KH 1 or 2 theme song for KH3. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122335-All-PS4-Games-Will-Be-Available-as-Downloads While Utada may still be on good terms with Nomua, her ties with Disney are still uncertain and both Square and Disney need the rights to her songs for them tonbe in KH3 so unless Disney decides to cave and pay her what she asks, whatever new song we have for Kingdom Hearts 3 will not be from Utada.

So, to sum it up, it's Disney's fault.

Edited by Isamu_Kuno

Don't forget what Utada's father tweeted in 2013. He wrote that Utada is involved in KH3, but later he changed his mind and stated "I was confused, it is still undecided".

I believe that he wasn't aware of the contract conditions between Utada and Disney, that she is not allowed to make her involvement public. This tweet was a half confirmation in my opinion.

Don't forget what Utada's father tweeted in 2013. He wrote that Utada is involved in KH3, but later he changed his mind and stated "I was confused, it is still undecided".I believe that he wasn't aware of the contract conditions between Utada and Disney, that she is not allowed to make her involvement public. This tweet was a half confirmation in my opinion.

Pretty sure he knows the terms, I think he was involved in the attempted re-negotiation after KH2. I think I remember reading something about that.

Thanks for the informative topic!  Man, I just wish that Disney would pay Utada the money she deserves so that she can come back and write a song for Kingdom Hearts III!  Because seriously, with the huge heap of cash Disney makes, you'd think they'd spare at least a bit of their money to Utada, right? D:  But alas, Disney can sometimes be a pooptard! :

Pretty sure he knows the terms, I think he was involved in the attempted re-negotiation after KH2. I think I remember reading something about that.

Additionally Nomura made a picture of her. It could hint at her involvement or it is Nomuras way to say "Hey Utada, here is a beautiful picture of you, now make a new song for KH3 plz"

Additionally Nomura made a picture of her. It could hint at her involvement or it is Nomuras way to say "Hey Utada, here is a beautiful picture of you, now make a new song for KH3 plz"

Like I said, she may be on good terms with Nomura, but both Square and Disney need the rights. I think that album cover was just a thank you and an expression of friendship. Edited by Isamu_Kuno

Has this even been officially confirmed by either Nomura or Utada themselves? Because I don't trust anybody else with this situation, even with her father Trolluzane who trolled us on twitter. I'm a great believer that Utada may come back and (at least just for the Xehanort saga) do the new song for KH3.

I was a big fan of Utada before and after her involvement with Square, it was unfortunate that she was unable to provide for future titles resulting in painful spamming of Hikaru/Simple and Clean and Passion/Sanctuary. I reckon if Utada doesn't come back for KH3, there are plenty of artists who can fit the boot anyway - KH3 needs a fresh feel for a theme.

Her 'Heartstation' would've really worked I reckon if they used a different instrumental xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysL1DL8au0s

but yeah, I'm not going to expect she'll be back for KH3 :/

Why can't disney just pay her.At least Kingdom hearts 3.

Well, it's not like they're a multi-bullion dollar international multi-media corporation with several large subsidiaries. Oh wait.Guess they don't think she's worth whatever she was asking. Edited by Isamu_Kuno

Well, we may be surprised. I am an optimist, so chances are, she will return and record something confidentially, heck, as previously stated, she's probably already completed it.