Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter
Sign in to follow this  
Toominator

Batman: Arkham Knight Review

Hey everyone! I thought I would give video game reviewing a shot, starting with my most recent completed game, Batman: Arkham Knight! 

Posted Image

Warning: Spoilers Ahead!

Arkham Asylum became the definitive comic book video game. It captured every essence of the Batman lore that makes Batman a favorite amongst fans. Arkham Knight is no different. Every element from previous installments that fans loved has returned: Crime scene investigations, free flow combat, predator combat, nods to the Batman universe, tons of gadgets - old and new, and a long list of villains to take down. Let's take an in-depth look at how these elements were utilized in the game.

Story

I feel like I should preface this with the fact that Scarecrow has always been my favorite Batman villain. I love that he never gets involved with direct combat, and would rather make you fight yourself. In true Batman fashion, figures from Batman's past continually haunt him after his exposure to Scarecrow's fear toxin. For the first time in the Batman Arkham series, I got scared. There were parts of this game that just made me jump out of my seat (i.e. Joker appearing for the first time, and randomly encountering Man Bat for the first time). 

The atmosphere was near perfect throughout, but one complaint I have is the identity of the Arkham Knight. I didn't have a problem with who it was, but I did have a problem with how painfully obvious they made it hours before the actual reveal. They could have kept me guessing longer.

Additionally, the Joker virus inside Batman seemed to disappear after a bit. The virus became part of Arkham Knight's plot, but there was never a conclusion. It was THE pivotal moment in Arkham City, so I expected it to be a huge part of this game, but it ultimately didn't matter. Other than those nitpicky things, the story was very well thought out, and there was just the right amount of "but wait, there's more!" Lastly, I really enjoyed the endgame content, such as Deathstroke (my FAVORITE DC villain!) and the Riddler challenges.

Gameplay

This game felt like an Arkham Game, and that's a good thing. It really felt like I was just revisiting Arkham City, but with better gadgets and a Batmobile. Speaking of which, let's cut right to the chase: the Batmobile was a fantastic addition to the Arkham series. It was a lot of fun, and was much faster than gliding and grapnel boosting everywhere. However, I absolutely dreaded the "stealth" tank missions. That is such an oxymoron! If I'm controlling a tank, I want to go head on in combat and blow things up. I don't want to sneak up behind someone in a tank. It just doesn't work. This also made the fight with Deathstroke VERY disappointing. His fight in Origins was my favorite by far, so that was just a let down.

Other than stealth tanks, the gameplay was excellent. I found that the enemies were a lot harder thanks to the weapon combos they had and the Medics. I noticed that I used quick gadgets a lot more often than I had in other Arkham games. Thankfully there was a lot more strategy involved. 

Verdict

I know I complained a lot, but that's because the Arkham series has raised its own standards so high. This felt like a Batman game, and that's really all I need to say. The Batmobile was a great touch, but it was used stealthily, and that just didn't sit right with me. There was a lot to do, and Scarecrow was used well. The mystery of the Arkham Knight was fun, but was given away far too early. In the end, still a must-play for fans of the Arkham series.

Score

8.7/10

Posted Image