Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

So, I wanted to do something a bit out of the ordinary. I wrote down a "live reaction/review" of Episode 47, meaning I watched the episode as it played and then wrote down my thoughts and then a final summary of how I felt the episode went below. I used to do this in another thread for another show I was following, but I figured why not try it for something else. So here it is:

- As I thought, new bits for the opening animation. Looks nice so far.

- There's Goku Black and I guess there's the green Kaioshin that he steals the Potara from. Or something or other. Oh well, I'll find out eventually.

- Goku and Vegeta are back in their old outfits for the ending pose-oh hey, more Future arc stuff. TOEI's really going all out with the visuals. xD

- No opening narration and creepy/dire music? Yep, it's SeriousBall time.

- I'm wondering if Goku Black can either shapeshift into this weird shadowy monster form or if it's just to make him look scary. It's certainly not to foreshadow his appearance, TOEI already let loose with that weeks ago. xD

- Oh man, soft piano. Bulma's running on limited time, isn't she?

- So, THAT's what time machines run on: blue jelly fuel... Only in DragonBall.

- Aaaaaaaand depression. 

- We'll be right back after these original timeline messages.

- Dinosaur!

- Aw, Son family moments.

- Hell yeah, Goku, show Piccolo your roots. No pun intended.

- I wonder what kind of career path Goten is studying for. I could see him as a doctor, honestly.

- Damn it, Kuririn, you and your big mouth.

- Beerus is totally a tsudere for Goku. "It's not like this lettuce you gave me is really tasty or anything, b-baka!"

- We now return you to your regularly scheduled SeriousBall.

- So, are there any survivors left besides Trunks, Bulma (well, beforehand), and Mai? I mean, Pilaf and Shu are still alive if Mai is still alive, too right? ... Right?

- Oh hey, we even have a new bumper, too. We get it, it's a brand new important arc. Geez.

- Ah yes, the bond between Gods and mortals: ramen noodles!

- Holy crap, six more universes? I guess if you gotta set the bar with Omni-King, you go with that.

- Part of me wants to believe that cat is Tama, i.e. the cat that Dr. Breif is always carrying around. I mean, they look exactly alike anyway. Also, yeah, I guess there are other survivors, ones that TOEI feels like drawing anyway.

- Man, you know the apocalypse sucks when you're forced to scrounge for cat food. No offense to cat food lovers.

- It's been a while since we had a DragonBall Kai flashback.

- Aaaaaaaaand more depression. Oh well, at least she didn't disintegrate.

- Okay, so it's not a fusion because Black isn't speaking with two voices. Also, referring to Trunks as a "Saiyan" while being a Saiyan himself probably suggests some other stuff

- Oh great, now the TrunksxMai thing is going to happen in the original timeline too. Joy.

Well, the Future Trunks/Goku Black arc is finally underway, and this episode sure brought the darkness. And not in the bad way either, it felt appropriate. There's still a lot of questions left on the table, like how exactly Goku Black was "conceived", how he killed/absorbed/whatever he did the Green Kaioshin, how these two entities fit into the timeline, and all that jazz. But since TOEI has put this much work into basically turning DragonBall Super into the "Future Trunks & Goku Black Show" for this arc, this will probably take some time to lay out as this arc in general will probably last a little while. So yeah, it's all good all around. Oh yeah, and normally when I did this reaction thing for the other show, I'd leave a score, but I won't do that here, mostly because... I don't want to. xD

Edited by Firaga Sensei

The question we all have no is.

WHO is this Kaioshin? Is he a Makaioshin? Is he the Supreme Kaioshin in U6? (Lots of similarities between him and U6 Kaioshins) WHO is this new character?Posted Image

The question we all have no is.

WHO is this Kaioshin? Is he a Makaioshin? Is he the Supreme Kaioshin in U6? (Lots of similarities between him and U6 Kaioshins) WHO is this new character?Posted Image

You know, as much as I like the idea of Makaio and Makaioshin, I sincerely doubt that it's an idea Akira Toriyama would implement into Super. I'm not trying to criticize him, I just don't think it would be something he would do. I mean, he told us that 18's real name is Lazuli and yet nobody calls her that in canon, even though they should, dammit, because now that my lovely lady has a real name, everybody should use it. I don't even use it because I haven't been made to make a habit of it because not even the freakin' characters in the actual show are making a habit of it? Seriously, why?

... I mean, uh, anyways: The Universe 6 Kaioshin possibility does seem more closer if only because Kaioshin having green skin in Universe 6 was already foreshadowed. But even then, that opens up another can of worms regarding what he has to do with Universe 7 of the Alternate Timeline and what he has to do with Black.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

You know, as much as I like the idea of Makaio and Makaioshin, I sincerely doubt that it's an idea Akira Toriyama would implement into Super. I'm not trying to criticize him, I just don't think it would be something he would do. I mean, he told us that 18's real name is Lazuli and yet nobody calls her that in canon, even though they should, dammit, because now that my lovely lady has a real name, everybody should use it. I don't even use it because I haven't been made to make a habit of it because not even the freakin' characters in the actual show are making a habit of it? Seriously, why?

... I mean, uh, anyways: The Universe 6 Kaioshin possibility does seem more closer if only because Kaioshin having green skin in Universe 6 was already foreshadowed. But even then, that opens up another can of worms regarding what he has to do with Universe 7 of the Alternate Timeline and what he has to do with Black.

He may not have anything to do with U7, but if this really does begin a battle that surpasses time and space, both Supreme Kaioshins of U7 and 6 are gonna have to be in contact, which will hopefully spell the return for the likes of Hit, Kabe and Champa.

He may not have anything to do with U7, but if this really does begin a battle that surpasses time and space, both Supreme Kaioshins of U7 and 6 are gonna have to be in contact, which will hopefully spell the return for the likes of Hit, Kabe and Champa.

Those are also possibilities. I'm mostly just postulating about certain aspects of how all of this is supposed to be organized timeline and universe wise. Like, for one thing, based on what we've learned about time travel, there's technically a possibility that there's four Kaioshins in total that we're dealing with: The East Kaioshin in Universe 7, from both the Original and Alternate Timeline, and then this possible Universe 6 Kaioshin from both timelines as well. So how does it work, is the East Kaioshin in the Alternate Timeline dead? Does the possible Universe 6 Kaioshin that we see in the visuals belong specifically to the Alternate Timeline or the Original Timeline? Or can Kais in general just transcend the realm of time and space and exist anywhere they want to be like Chronoa the Time Kaioshin? And what about Beerus and Whis and all the other deities, do they or do they not have alternate versions of themselves too or do they follow that same logic I just talked about? It's a lot to think about.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Great, 2 more people to revive with the Dragon Balls. Wait...

Finnaly, I can pick up Dragon Ball Super again, Episode 47 looks good, and I sure hope this new arc'll be good xD

Okay, I really don't like reporting stuff from this site, but news is news, I guess...

Saiyan Island has uploaded an article showing off an (untranslated) scan featuring the brand new character introduced last week in the anime. (The scan also featured information for the upcoming game DragonBall Fusions, and if you want to see what they reported regarding that, go to my latest post in the DragonBall Fusions thread, wink wink, nudge nudge.)

Posted Image

According to the article, this character's name is "Zamasu" and he is described as "archaic form of something". Also reported is that he is voiced by Japanese seiyu Shin-ichiro Mikwho, who also voices Kojirou (or James in America) from the Pokemon anime as well as Urahara from Blech and Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

The description of Zamasu personally leads me to believe that the "Makaioshin" theory most people have been speculating about for this character may be closer to the truth than previously imagined. 

Edited by Firaga Sensei

We have brand new (provisional) legit titles for episode 50-53, check them out here, I will have a video out explaining my thoughts soon-ish. These all come from the legend himself Herms98 on Twitter;

• Episode 50: Son Goku vs Black!! (3rd July)
  • Episode 51: Mai's Feelings Transcend Time (10th July)
  • Episode 52: Gohan and Future Trunks (17th July)
  • Episode 53: Expose Black's True Identity! (31st July) 

Edited by AzureAce

I decided that since this is the anime's 50th episode (and because I feel like it) that I would do another live reaction/review sort of thing like I did with Episode 47.

So, here we go:

- You know, I never noticed this before, but in the opening, Pan is in the bottom right corner when it shows the scene that cuts to Gohan and Videl and the others. That was most likely put in at exactly the same time she debuted in the anime way back way. Funny how you can miss little details like that.

- Uh oh, Black knows who Vegeta and Beerus are. More pieces to the puzzle.

- Pfft, of course Goku is just like "Heh heh, I get first dibs with this guy!" Classic Goku.

- Okay, in one of the shots where Goku and Black stare off with each other, I just noticed that Black looks like he's wearing MC Hammer's parachute pants... I'm never going to be able to unsee that now.

- "I wanted to fight you in this body". Oh boy, that body-stealing theory's getting more credit every day. Also, it makes me wonder if he has multiple bodies.... he's Captain Ginyu, isn't he?

- Uh, yeah, Bulma, he's everybody's enemy, what's your point? xD

- Aaaaaaand cue the convenient rocky wasteland that is located some distance away from Capsule Corp. xD

- Man, Super Saiyan 2 is getting a lot of love lately. First, both Goku and Trunks show it off in the last episode, and now this.

- Black is really enjoying himself. Leave it Goku to get somebody fired up. Btw, Masako Nozawa is masterfully playing an evil version of her trademark character (and I mean an actual evil Goku, not Bardock or Tullece because they're not really evil, just huge assholes).

- You're surprised that Goku is dicking around, Trunks? I would have figured you'd caught onto this with all the shenanigans you had to put up with in the Androids/Cell Arc. xD

- Okay, so they're both dicking around... well, it's two Gokus after all, can't be too surprised. xD Still, what's Black going to be like at his full power? Beerus tier? Maybe even Whis tier if you want to stretch it?

- Uh oh, timey wimey time.

- Heh, Goku's face. I agree, Goku, something is wrong with him. He's clearly a sadist if he enjoys the pain he's taking.

- Hey guys, uh, I think now would be a good time to get the Time Machine out of sight. Maybe throw a capsule at it?

- ... or not.

- I'll be back, back to the past, Go-o-ku-u-Black... watch out!

- The pain is making him stronger? Does he have some kind of mutated, fast-acting version of the Zenkai boost?

- Pilaf's Fire Brigade... part of me wants to believe this is a tiny reference to that obscure fire safety animation.

- How long did it take Future Bulma to make these time machines anyway?

- Okay, so Black can only travel through time if he uses the time rift portals caused by Trunks using the time machine. Feel like this may come into play later on the story as well, so I'm just keeping it in mind.

- Always nice to see Good Dad Vegeta shine through when he feels like it.

- Oh hey, it's the time machine Cell used! I didn't even think of that. Smart move, DBS.

- And of course, Mai is still alive. Didn't think she'd be dead for all the ad space she's taking up.

- Ooh new ending. And it's really colorful and silly... I love it. xD

- There are other future timeline survivors! ... At least, there will be until Black kills them all... I'm kidding, I'm sure they'll survive. Well, some of them. Mai will at least.

- Aaaaaand TrunksxMai is already more official than it was before.... still kinda iffy on that.

This was a really enjoyable episode. Seeing Black in his first challenging battle was really fun, especially against Goku himself. Goku has a penchant for bringing out good fights in people. Just ask Hit. xD Plus, it was nice to see him show more maniacal traits of himself. It's really dark and interesting to see it juxtaposed to Masako Nozawa's usual brand of sunny and naive tone that she usually uses for the real Goku. Also, I'm really appreciate how the pacing is continuing on. It's leaving a lot of room to digest Black's origins, the connection with Zamasu, and how all of this ties into the Omniverse Tournament.

EDIT: (7/5/16)

The manga's 13th chapter, the final chapter of the manga's Champa arc, is now up with a fan translation.

And if you choose to indulge yourself in the, well, "controversy" that this chapter has brought, I have a couple of videos that might clear things up to some extent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaBPHADGyu4

EDIT: (7/7/16)

Herms from Kazenshuu has translated the titles for upcoming DragonBall Super episodes 53 and 54. Spoiler warning:

Posted Image

EDIT: (7/8/16)

Herms, through his Twitter page, has once again gotten a hold of some DBS spoilers in the form of episode titles and synopses all the way up to episode 54. Read at your own caution:

Edited by Firaga Sensei

So... I've finally caught up to the anime! Told you I could do it, Firaga... Just took some time. xD I still need to read the manga, but I need a break for a little bit. Probably won't be long before Firaga reminds me of another thing I need to catch up on, too ._.

I've really enjoyed the series so far. It was a bit slow during the BoG/RF arcs, but once it got on to Champa and other new content, things really picked up. I loved the tournament arc, and Future Trunks is off to a good start so far, too. I'm excited to find out who Goku Black is, along with that Kaioshin in the opening... Also want to know what's up with Future Mai now that it looks like she's not dead. And I know that some spoiler details are going around about some things but I refuse to look at those, so if those cover either of those topics then I'm still clueless and I'd like to stay that way until it's shown in the anime itself. But yeah, overall, Super's been great. Can't wait until the next episode's up!

There's no episode this week, but that doesn't mean we can't have news!

Speaking of which: YouTube channel Geekdom101 uploaded a video where he showed off an image from the Instagram account of Jason Douglas (English voice actor for Beerus) that basically confirms that the english dub for DragonBall Super is in production:

You can't access the image through his Instagram now since he mostly likely took it down as a tease, but this is still visual confirmation none-the-less.

Yeah. But the fact that it has just begun production, I wonder how long it will take for it to air. :P

Whenever it does air, the current arc will probably be over and done with. :P

Edited by Ultimus Grid

I haven't done this sort of thing in what feels like roughly a year, but I wanted to give my thoughts on episode 53.  In case someone hasn't seen it yet:

I expected Trunks to try attacking 18 when he saw her.  But when he found out she and Krillin were married, plus had a child, I loved the look on his face.  xD   ​It's like he couldn't process all of that going on.

The fight between Zamasu and Goku was kind of short, but good.  One part of it that I enjoyed was Zamasu canceling out Goku's ki blast before it could be launched.

The way he talks about humans and looking at the Time Rings in the episode preview makes it seem more likely that Zamasu is Goku Black in some way.  One thing that isn't the same about those two are the earrings.  Zamasu has different colored earrings, but his mentor's (whose name I've apparently already forgotten) practically has the same color as the one Black possesses.  Hopefully there will be more answers in the next episode.

Overall I enjoyed episode 53 and I'm really looking forward to the next one.

He did. First thing he did was grab the hilt of his sword.

My mistake.  I meant to say I ​knew Trunks​ would attack 18 the moment he saw her, as in I predicted it.  And he would've landed a hit if Krillin wasn't there to intervene. 

Edited by Ultimus Grid

Episode 56 - "The Rematch of Goku vs Black! Super Saiyan Rose Appears!!" (Provisional)

Episode 57 - "Goku, Super Saiyan Blue" (Provisional)

Both these episodes have been leaked and are real. I'm working on finding the source.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

SUPER SAIYAN ROSE LOOKS LIT AS firetruck MAN. IT LOOKS AMAZING.

53f6556211f6f650b76722c8aa3f8544.jpg

AAAAAGH!

I FORGOT THAT THE RAWS COME OUT AT THIS TIME! I'VE BEEN SPOILED!

MY EYES HAVE BEEN TAINTED! MY EYES! MY EYEEEEEEEEEEES!!

... who am i kidding, i already knew what he looked like.