Web
Analytics Made Easy - StatCounter

Did you ignore everything I said in the earlier post? DragonBall and DragonBall Z had its fair share of wonky moments due to having multiple studios working on it during their original broadcasts. And we can't judge Super's animation quality based on seven measly episodes anyway. Also, don't be an old man and go off about "computer anime". There are plenty of anime made through advanced technology that look great.

did you ignore the phrasing behind my post. I said the drawing style,I.e hand drawn versus computer, of the original series looked better than super, didn't say anything about dips in quality, just the overall style. Hand drawn with dulcet color tones better portray DBZ than these bright shiny colors that super has going on.

did you ignore the phrasing behind my post. I said the drawing style,I.e hand drawn versus computer, of the original series looked better than super, didn't say anything about dips in quality, just the overall style.

Style indicates animation technique, fluidity, being "on model", etc. It's not just about whether you use your hands or a computer.

Hand drawn with dulcet color tones better portray DBZ than these bright shiny colors that super has going on.

"Bright and shiny" and "dulcet" are close to the same meaning. DragonBall as a whole is "bright and shiny" because it's a light-hearted series. The original DragonBall and DragonBall Z were like this, and Super is in the same vein only now with a modern look and the added freedom of being more dynamic due to the tone of the series being a mix of both action and comedy. Even with that, DB and DBZ didn't exactly try to make itself pop unless there was loads of color spewing out of the scene like when it was showing a sunset or when somebody was transforming.

EDIT:

Quick thoughts on Episodes 5-7:

5: Well uh... I liked the dialogue and stuff. And the animation too... sans the obvious sequence with Goku and Beerus.

6: Vegeta. Just... Vegeta. He was a star in this episode, no doubt, and even though the Bingo Dance didn't return, Vegeta turning into the iron chef and cooking up some octopus balls more than made up for it. Also, freaking Yamcha... why? You and your ego can't even calm the hell down when there's a God of Destruction with a bad temper around. God dammit Yamcha. Oh yeah and the stand off with Beerus and Buu was pretty cool too. I prefer it a lot better than just Beerus taking him out instantly.

7: There was a lot to like about this episode, especially the overall build-up to Beerus slapping Bulma and Vegeta powering up and taking a real stand against him. My favorite parts, however, were actually comedy bits, those being Beerus's rant about pudding and the sequence with Whis fanboying over his food pallette. lol Still, I enjoyed the action too, and I appreciate how the scenario overall was given more time to breathe rather than having it happen almost instantly like in the BoG movie like I mentioned earlier with the Buu VS Beerus fight.

If anybody is interested, the 3rd chapter for the DragonBall Super manga was released some time ago. You can read it here.

Sorry for the really late update.

Edited by Flaming Lea

If anybody is interested, the 3rd chapter for the DragonBall Super manga was released some time ago. You can read it here.

Sorry for the really late update.

I read it a while ago, but man, the transaltion really like to use swears.

That pannel when Vegeta uses Future Trunk's attack, too.

I read it a while ago, but man, the transaltion really like to use swears.

That pannel when Vegeta uses Future Trunk's attack, too.

Yeah, that really bugged me too.

Also, it's hard to call it his attack when it doesn't even have a name outside of video games. lol So for Vegeta, it's just another blast.

LMAO, all those translation swears, I love translators that do this, it's just hilarious. Some memorable quotes to take away from this translation:

Beerus: YOU ASSHOLES MAY BE USED TO EATING PUDDING ALL THE F*CKING TIME, BUT THAT WAS GONNA BE MY FIRST TIME EVER EATING F*CKING PUDDIIIIIIIIIING!

Gotenks: Crashing our party and bitching over some stupid crap, I'VE HAD ENOUGH!

Vegeta: YOU COCKSUCKER!

Vegeta: MOTHER F*CKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!

And lastly:

Beerus: *seeing Vegeta's Energy Blast* *sighs*

(I know its not a swear but I just found that hilarious how casual he is about Vegeta's attack)

Also, talking about what actually happened in the Chapter:

Oh my god, never thought I'd see this again, A VILLAIN WHO WANTS THE DRAGON BALLS AND NOT JUST REVENGE ON GOKU/WORLD DOMINATION! : O At least now we have an idea for what's coming up in the plotline of Super with the other Gods of Destruction I guess~

Edited by Reyn

Hello, all.

I know this thread hasn't been very active, and to be honest, I can understand why. There's not much to discuss about the anime at the moment considering we're still getting through the Battle of Gods Arc.

Still, I figured I'd share something. I found this video recently about DragonBall Super, and basically, it explains how the writing process for both the anime and manga adaptation works, who's in charge of what and what goes through to the final product and whatnot. It's very informative and I'm sure it might open a few pairs of eyes who might have been wondering just how DBS was being handled.

Check it out here.

That was quite interesting.  So from what I understand from the video Toriyama wrote the overall story for super, but the anime and manga are being handled by different guys.

Pretty much. And from what I've gathered, Toriyama still gets to oversee the final product and give his stamp of approval as well.

Kazenshuu.com reported that a scan from the November 2015 issue of Saikyō Jump has revealed the episode titles for the upcoming episodes of DragonBall Super. The titles listed start at episode 13 and go all the way up to episode 20.

You can find the article here and listed below are the aforementioned titles:

Episode #13 — 04 October 2015

Super Saiyan God Son Goku and Beerus’ super-fierce fight gets more and more intense!!

Episode #14 — 11 October 2015

During his battle with Beerus, an unexpected change happens to Goku, who had been a Super Saiyan God…!?

Episode #15 — 18 October 2015

After the battle with Beerus wraps up, a terrible visitor comes to Satan!?

Episode #16 — 25 October 2015

With the battle over, one day Kuririn visits Goku. His unexpected request is…!?

Episode #17 — 01 November 2015

Some time has passed on Earth. Gohan and Videl’s daughter is finally born!!

Episode #18 — 08 November 2015

Goku departs Earth and begins training under Whis. The surprising training method is…!?

Episode #19 — 15 November 2015

Goku throws himself into training under Whis. Meanwhile in Hell, you-know-who suffers intense torment.

Episode #20 — 22 November 2015

An unprecedented threat bears down on Earth!! At this time, an old friend comes to visit Bulma…!?

As you can see, there are many different interesting tidbits to take from these descriptions, such as what happens to Goku during his fight with Beerus, which many have theorized may be a sneak preview of SSJGSSJ, as well as Mr. Satan's vistor, Krillin's purpose for meeting with Goku, the birth of Pan, Goku's and Vegeta's training with Whis, and the possible arrival of Jaco the Patrolman.

There are a couple of new bits of information regarding future events of Super, so I figure that I should bring them up.

First off: There has been an image posted on the Facebook page of Gojitaaaf, well known DragonBall newshound and finder/translator of various DragonBall media. The image proposes that there will a new character and possible villain appearing DragonBall Super soon. Most speculation thus far has concluded this person as either The Original Super Saiyan or possibly a denizen of Universe 6 and the student of Champa.

Here's the image:

Posted Image

Lastly: I don't usually post episode previews but I had to share this particular one for Episode 15 because... well, just look at it and you'll see.

So I decided to start watching Dragon Ball Super since it has been ongoing for a while, Honestly I did not like the first few episodes but that does not mean the whole series is going to be bad, THEN I reach EPISODE 5 and O God my eyes cannot forget what they had seen during that episode, the part where Goku starts fighting that Purple Cat creature, the art was unbelievable, it was Horrid, I don't know how can I explain it any further. Anyone else noticed this? I have tried various mirrors and websites to watch the episode, such as Youtube and a couple of anime streaming websites, And it was the SAME! NO DIFFERENCE!

Old news, youyousuf. We've talked about it, we're past it and moving on to better things.

Big big news has come in the form of ShonenGameZ.com's translation of DragonBall Super's fifth manga chapter, which can be read here.

There will be slight spoilers if you are not caught up with the DragonBall Super manga or if you have not seen Resurrection 'F'.

Edited by Flaming Lea

Breaking news from this article on Kazenshuu:

Toonami Asia has acquired the distribution rights for the first intertational broadcast of the DragonBall Super anime, and is scheduled for mid-2016 with the first ever English dub for the series.

There is no confirmation that the English dub will be handled by FUNimation. Keep in mind that Toonami Asia is in charge of distributing content in areas such as Hong Kong, Indonesia, India, etc. and therefore, it's very likely that it will be a different dubbing company altogether.

It has been very, very, very, very looooooong since I last posted something in this thread. I apologize for that. Not only have I been busy but I understand that some of you have been busy as well and thus haven't had time to catch up with the newest installments of Super.

However, I feel it is a good time to get everyone up to speed. To sum things up that are going on in the anime right now, without spoilers: we are currently in the Resurrection 'F' Arc and reaching its climax as the battle between Freeza against Goku & Vegeta has started. There are some minor changes here and there in both events that happen after Goku v. Beerus in the last arc as well as this current arc, including a very surprising twist that most people wouldn't expect, but I'll wait until the general audience is in the know before I post anything more.

That being said, there is an event in the manga that I would like to discuss as it pertains to a brand new story arc introduced in DragonBall Super that has yet to be revealed in the anime but is teased by the appearance of both Lord Champa and Vados, Beerus' brother and Whis' sister respectively. For those of you who are not aware, essentially:

Champa, the God of Destruction of Universe 6, and his assistant/teacher Vados have come to Universe 7. Champa issues a challenge to Beerus to pit five of the strongest warriors of Universe 7 against a set of warriors from Universe 6, and whoever wins gets the other Universe's version of Planet Earth, which can be accomplished by objects known as the "Super Dragon Balls", giant Dragon Balls located in the central core of various planets to which the original Dragon Balls from Planet Namek originate. There is also a subplot with Bulma and Jaco who, under orders from Beerus, use a newly created Dragon Radar to go to the center of the universe to find Universe 7's version of the Super Dragon Balls, with the inclusion of searching for a being Jaco knows called "Zuno" for help. Meanwhile, the tournament is getting underway. Other than Goku and Vegeta, Piccolo and Mr. Buu have been selected to be on Beerus' team, with the last slot going to a being that Beerus claims is the strongest fighter he has ever faced. Champa will also select his team of five fighters, all of which I can now confirm are brand new characters.

Now, although the seventh and newest manga chapter is out and has revealed new details mentioned in the spoiler, there is no translation yet. But, I want to share the chapter cover so those who are caught up can at least get an idea of what to expect:

Posted Image

EDIT: The chapter is now fully translated and you can read it here.

EDIT: DragonBall Super, as of episode 27 of the anime is now finished with the Resurrection 'F' Arc. We are now moving into the Champa Arc, or the Universe 6 Arc starting with episode 28. Also, Chapter 8 (untranslated) of the manga has now been leaked.

EDIT: Here is the translation for Chapter 8.

Edited by Firaga Sensei

Time to revive this thread.

What is everyone thinking with the new Saiyan, Kabe/Cabba?

I have a feeling he is also an SSJB. For he is a pure Saiyan AND just so happens to also be one of the strongest warriors in Universe 6, as he is on the team.

I think it would be amazing to see two Saiyans duke it out again. We haven't had a good battle like that since SSJ2 Goku vs SSJ2 Majin Vegeta.

Why Gohan will not be competing in Champa's tournament. (SPOILERS)

Now I've seen so many people around saying that because Gohan asked Piccolo to train him at the end of Episode 28, he will be able to compete in Champa's tournament as Majin Buu is not in it anymore.

This is WRONG, why is this wrong you ask? It's wrong because Champa's Tournament is a lot like Baba's Tournament in the original Dragonball in that once you're out the tournament, you're out. Majin Buu was beaten by the exam, he didn't pass it, therefore he cannot compete in the tournament anymore, bringing Universe 7 down to 4 combatants. We're lucky Goku is still in it because he passed the exam by the skin of his teeth.

In theory anyone from Universe 6 or 7 could go into the tournament their self and beat all 5 combatants and none of the others would have to lift a finger. So as off right now in the manga, prior to the next chapter of Goku VS Botamo, it's currently 4 Universe 7 fighters VS 5 Universe 6 fighters.

Another reason why Gohan will not be able to compete in the tournament is because he is no where near strong enough to compete in it. Even if he could replace Majin Buu, the Champa arc starts right after the Resurrection 'F' arc finishes, and Gohan struggled to even go into SSJ in the Resurrection 'F' arc. Added to this, even if he went into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber 2.0, he would have wasted 3 days in there, while the tournament is going on. Most of the combatants will have fought by then. And one thing I see a lot in the community is "Why doesn't Gohan use Whis' scepter dimension to train?" Because he cannot withstand the God Ki that is present in there. Even Beerus had his doubts about Goku and Vegeta going in there, he was positive they were not ready yet, and they are leaps and bounds ahead of Gohan in terms of strength, Gohan is like Yamcha to them now.

Another theory I see going around is that Goku could use Instant Transmission to get Gohan from Earth to the Nameless Planet. Gohan does not have enough power anymore for Goku to sense him and transport him to the Nameless Planet. Gohan can't go SSJ2 anymore, and can, as previously stated, barely go SSJ. So the fact of that matter is he just cannot output enough energy for Goku, and maybe even Whis to sense.

A final theory and one I will debunk to put the final nail in the coffin of this whole discussion is that people have realized that the previous theory ^ cannot be accomplished, so they ask "Why don't they use the Dragon Balls to transport Gohan from Earth to the Nameless Planet?" Okay. Here's why they can't. In Dragonball Super's rendition of the Resurrection 'F' arc, during the fight with Frieza, Gohan got absolutely annihilated by 1st Form Frieza (Another reason why Gohan isn't fit for the tournament), so, like Piccolo always does, he sacrificed himself for Gohan, thus killing him. Then at the end of the arc, in the manga at least, they use Shenron to bring back Piccolo but not use the other two wishes. Thus making them have to wait to use Shenron again. But you think "Couldn't they use Porunga?" No, they can't, the reason for this is that in the manga, they use Porunga to split Kibitokai so that they split into the Supreme Kai and Kibito again. Which all in turn means they cannot use the Dragon Balls to bring Gohan from Earth to the Nameless Planet.

There we go. The most prominent reasons why Gohan cannot join the tournament, if there's anything you'd like to add, please feel free. :)

-this was merged-

Edited by Flaming Lea

Why Gohan will not be competing in Champa's tournament. (SPOILERS)

Now I've seen so many people around saying that because Gohan asked Piccolo to train him at the end of Episode 28, he will be able to compete in Champa's tournament as Majin Buu is not in it anymore.

This is WRONG, why is this wrong you ask? It's wrong because Champa's Tournament is a lot like Baba's Tournament in the original Dragonball in that once you're out the tournament, you're out. Majin Buu was beaten by the exam, he didn't pass it, therefore he cannot compete in the tournament anymore, bringing Universe 7 down to 4 combatants. We're lucky Goku is still in it because he passed the exam by the skin of his teeth.

In theory anyone from Universe 6 or 7 could go into the tournament their self and beat all 5 combatants and none of the others would have to lift a finger. So as off right now in the manga, prior to the next chapter of Goku VS Botamo, it's currently 4 Universe 7 fighters VS 5 Universe 6 fighters.

Another reason why Gohan will not be able to compete in the tournament is because he is no where near strong enough to compete in it. Even if he could replace Majin Buu, the Champa arc starts right after the Resurrection 'F' arc finishes, and Gohan struggled to even go into SSJ in the Resurrection 'F' arc. Added to this, even if he went into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber 2.0, he would have wasted 3 days in there, while the tournament is going on. Most of the combatants will have fought by then. And one thing I see a lot in the community is "Why doesn't Gohan use Whis' scepter dimension to train?" Because he cannot withstand the God Ki that is present in there. Even Beerus had his doubts about Goku and Vegeta going in there, he was positive they were not ready yet, and they are leaps and bounds ahead of Gohan in terms of strength, Gohan is like Yamcha to them now.

Another theory I see going around is that Goku could use Instant Transmission to get Gohan from Earth to the Nameless Planet. Gohan does not have enough power anymore for Goku to sense him and transport him to the Nameless Planet. Gohan can't go SSJ2 anymore, and can, as previously stated, barely go SSJ. So the fact of that matter is he just cannot output enough energy for Goku, and maybe even Whis to sense.

A final theory and one I will debunk to put the final nail in the coffin of this whole discussion is that people have realized that the previous theory ^ cannot be accomplished, so they ask "Why don't they use the Dragon Balls to transport Gohan from Earth to the Nameless Planet?" Okay. Here's why they can't. In Dragonball Super's rendition of the Resurrection 'F' arc, during the fight with Frieza, Gohan got absolutely annihilated by 1st Form Frieza (Another reason why Gohan isn't fit for the tournament), so, like Piccolo always does, he sacrificed himself for Gohan, thus killing him. Then at the end of the arc, in the manga at least, they use Shenron to bring back Piccolo but not use the other two wishes. Thus making them have to wait to use Shenron again. But you think "Couldn't they use Porunga?" No, they can't, the reason for this is that in the manga, they use Porunga to split Kibitokai so that they split into the Supreme Kai and Kibito again. Which all in turn means they cannot use the Dragon Balls to bring Gohan from Earth to the Nameless Planet.

There we go. The most prominent reasons why Gohan cannot join the tournament, if there's anything you'd like to add, please feel free. :)

Gohan could still be thrown in at any time during the tournament. I'm not saying he will, but even with the combined power of Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, and Monaka, who's to say that there won't be a spot open for Gohan? Either way, Gohan's training and his progress have to come up again eventually. The only other avenue to do that other than the tournament would be with Jaco and Bulma.

Gohan could still be thrown in at any time during the tournament. I'm not saying he will, but even with the combined power of Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, and Monaka, who's to say that there won't be a spot open for Gohan? Either way, Gohan's training and his progress have to come up again eventually. The only other avenue to do that other than the tournament would be with Jaco and Bulma.

It would be a complete and utter retcon if Gohan was allowed to compete in the tournament. Because only 5 fighters are allowed to compete per team, if Gohan was allowed to compete, that would make it 6 fighters, because Majin Buu is still part of the team, he just got put out very very early. Well, Gohan and Piccolo have already started training together in the anime. Gohan won't reach the level Goku and Vegeta are at for a loooooooooooong time to come. Because Goku and Vegeta have trained and trained and trained ever since the Cell Saga ended, which is around the time Gohan started to slow his training down. Then came the end of the Majin Saga and by that time, he had ceased training completely. So he's went around about 2 or 3 years without any intensive training. Whereas Goku and Vegeta on the other hand have been training with the two strongest beings in Universe 7 for the majority of those years. Piccolo, well, he hasn't had quite the intense training Goku and Vegeta have had, but he has still kept up with training. And Monaka? Well. We don't know about him. But the fact that he's the strongest fighter Beerus has ever faced, even outmatching a god in Goku, says a lot about him. But in saying all this, Toriyama has been known to break his own rules in the past so it's honestly just a matter of waiting to see what happens. But if he followed his rules. Gohan would never be allowed to compete in the tournament. Or both Chi Chi and Videl would kill him first.

Edit; It has been exactly 6 years since the end of the Majin Saga.

Edited by AzureAce

It would be a complete and utter retcon if Gohan was allowed to compete in the tournament. Because only 5 fighters are allowed to compete per team, if Gohan was allowed to compete, that would make it 6 fighters, because Majin Buu is still part of the team, he just got put out very very early.

... But he's not allowed to fight...